• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm too old to join at this point. I also think never enlisting was a mistake I made because corporate life is not for me, and now I'm stuck

How old are you exactly? Age limit for the Air Force is 39, and I've seen plenty of people joining in their 30s (I myself am on the older side, at 25).

Edit: Honestly, a lot of AF jobs aren't much different from corporate though.

Masta_killah

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there are many Aussie Navy men getting killed in action these days. His job was mostly to search through Indonesian fishing trawlers.
you do realize the hazards of the navy aren't from combat only? Ever been in an engine room running 10s of thousands of rpm's to have a gasket fail causing 100s of gallons of fuel spill out the pipes? With the ambient temp of the space nearing or over 100F? Surrounded by high voltage electricity as well as pipes full of fuel and oil? Or working topside in rough weather and high seas, with the chance of slipping and getting thrown overboard? Or going through mental issues due to circumstances at home, etc and finding the best way to make it stop is to end it?

Instead or talking down on people maybe try thanking them of what they sacrificed to make your life better? It's what a decent person would do regardless of their politics. 🤷🏻‍♂️

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
⁷I would recommend the Air Force or Navy. Both have pretty good advancement and quite a few opportunities that are more business and less military.

Been in the Navy for 15 years and 355 days (going to get a pay raise in 2 weeks, and uniform allowance). Came in Undesignated Seaman (not for everyone, but I enjoyed quite a bit and almost struck BM), went Supply (Sea/Shore rotation sucked, was 5/2 as an SH2) and then went Intelligence (got experience a lot of what the Navy has to offer and a lot of school, including DLI twice). Work in a joint environment now and Air Force is the only life I look at and think "they have it pretty good"

Facts. I actually went to mast. But I fessed up and only got a suspended bust. it kinda screwed with my advancement cycle for about a year, but I've recovered and am now an E6. The joke in the navy is that going to captains mast is a check mark for making chief. Lol
Sometimes wish I qould have gone to mast ;), 8th test this past month and we'll see. Either way, I'm content though.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I respect people who realize that military life is not for them , but honestly it's mostly like any other job.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
you do realize the hazards of the navy aren't from combat only? Ever been in an engine room running 10s of thousands of rpm's to have a gasket fail causing 100s of gallons of fuel spill out the pipes? With the ambient temp of the space nearing or over 100F? Surrounded by high voltage electricity as well as pipes full of fuel and oil? Or working topside in rough weather and high seas, with the chance of slipping and getting thrown overboard? Or going through mental issues due to circumstances at home, etc and finding the best way to make it stop is to end it?

Instead or talking down on people maybe try thanking them of what they sacrificed to make your life better? It's what a decent person would do regardless of their politics. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I knew who he was before he joined. It changed him and not in ways that were good.

In any case, it's what he chooses to do now that he's left the military that I'm taking issue with. I had to cut him out of my life and it sucks but I can't have a walking internet troll spreading his toxicity over all my friends and loved ones.

(He hates the Navy btw so he's not one of "your guys" anyway)

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country

Poor them and their sacrifices. No one forced them to join. Do you thank all the people who work under paid and under appreciated every day jobs which allow us to have the lifestyles many of us in developed countries have?

It's those people who make our lives better, not the people who are part of the industrial killing complex that is the military.

In Spain people who join the military are 99% of the time right wingers and ultra nationalist and have no fear of showing it.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
There are plenty of scumbags that join the military but don't generalize like that , I have met bad people in and I have met some very helpful individuals who would help you with anything you needed. Not all military personnel are right wing douchebags.

There are plenty of scumbags that join the military but don't generalize like that , I have met bad people in and I have met some very helpful individuals who would help you with anything you needed. Not all military personnel are right wing douchebags.
True, but as others said, no one asked me to enlist (well, technically the state did because I got drafted, but I simply could've said no) and I sure as hell didn't protect Germany by firing at some poor Taliban kids in Afghanistan. Joining the military neither makes you a bad person nor some hero worthy of worship.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
True, but as others said, no one asked me to enlist (well, technically the state did because I got drafted, but I simply could've said no) and I sure as hell didn't protect Germany by firing at some poor Taliban kids in Afghanistan. Joining the military neither makes you a bad person nor some hero worthy of worship.
I agree.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It's a decision you should 100% be sure about , if you join , just know how to make it work for you, basic training will probably be the "hardest" part of your time in for most people.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Don't trust anything the recruiter says and also make sure to suffer some kind of major yet recoverable injury so you can just snag the benefits and get discharged without having to actually do anything for the military of whatever country you're from

Followup advice: don't join the military

Oct 25, 2017
I'd advise anyone not to join. Though I suspect the reasons I'd give would be dismissed.
Fuck the U.S military, save yourselves the trouble and do something else.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Where can you go that let's you have a beard?

If no beard then no go, just like cops

You'd have to be deployed to have the opportunity of having facial hair. But honestly? Avoid those particular jobs in the military. I lucked out with my computer job and the worst I've left the service with was sleep apnea and back problems (from my job sitting on the fucking computer for 12 hours).

Quite frankly there's no glory in it, and I can only think of a couple good things to say during my time.

The camaraderie is the biggest one. Using it as a stepping stone into other jobs / benefits is the second.

If people are joining just understand they don't give a damn about you. You're just a number, don't let a commander try and tell you different.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yep, so in that way it's just like any other job.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Some people get lucky tho.
I know people that have gone -> Hawaii ->Korea -> Germany
And that's just fucking awesome
Definitely, his first one wasn't the best but he was stationed a couple hours from home the second time which was great. Now he's a few states away. Someone else I know is stationed in Japan. I gotta say it would be pretty awesome to do that for a year or so.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely, his first one wasn't the best but he was stationed a couple hours from home the second time which was great. Now he's a few states away. Someone else I know is stationed in Japan. I gotta say it would be pretty awesome to do that for a year or so.

Yeah a few of my coworkers have been stationed in Japan and they all said it was amazing and would love to go back. I'm jealous (but I did get stationed in Germany so that's awesome in itself).

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about someone who's 30 and has been on the fence with the reserves for several years now? What really puts me off is the ridiculously long contract for reserves. But The idea appeals to me because I'd like the trade skills I'd get and exposure to different experiences, however infrequent.

Also I have a bachelor's and master's and would probably enlist as an officer. I'd consider the safest branch with the job that gives me the best skills.

As for my background, I already have a career and have worked steadily for years, but I wouldn't mind additional experience that can possibly get me into a different field down the line.

Edit:

Would the coast guard be a good choice? I would want to choose the branch that is considered the safest and would allow me to stay closest to him in NYC.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I am not necessarily going to look down on someone who joins the armed forces, because a lot of them are, as noted, poor and desperate and don't have any good options. I would never advise it but I will understand the decision as an unfortunate last resort.

I will be quite happy to dismiss anyone who is joining the military to prove their bravery or manliness or to carry a big gun. Those are shitbags making the entire world worse. Especially when the question of what their sacrifices amounted to, rarely expressed in any terms more concrete than "our freedom!!!!"

As an example of what actually happens in combat zones for the uninitiated, an army guy firing on some Iraqi civilians trying to enter a base in hopes their son could get medical attention sure as shit doesn't make me safer or freer. It just fuels radicalization against our country.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I considered going into the Air Force as I was wrapping up high school. I scored a 98 on the ASVAB so they were trying super hard to recruit me. My mother and girlfriend at the time were super against it, though.

I've heard/read some stories about others skating by and doing super well for themselves financially by going into the military. Oh well.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
What about someone who's 30 and has been on the fence with the reserves for several years now? What really puts me off is the ridiculously long contract for reserves. But The idea appeals to me because I'd like the trade skills I'd get and exposure to different experiences, however infrequent.

Also I have a bachelor's and master's and would probably enlist as an officer. I'd consider the safest branch with the job that gives me the best skills.

As for my background, I already have a career and have worked steadily for years, but I wouldn't mind additional experience that can possibly get me into a different field down the line.

Edit:

Would the coast guard be a good choice? I would want to choose the branch that is considered the safest and would allow me to stay closest to him in NYC.

If you're going to join, go Air Force.

Jan 15, 2018
I had a beard in US Navy. I got me what they call a "No-Shave Chit." Mostly only brothers had them cause we get razor bumps but it's possible.

Unfortunately, no-shave chits aren't going to be a permanent option anymore. Some new guidelines were put out in October and the emphasis is on treating bumps now.

It does seem like we aren't too far off from being allowed to have facial hair though, so at least there's that to look forward to.

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately, no-shave chits aren't going to be a permanent option anymore. Some new guidelines were put out in October and the emphasis is on treating bumps now.

It does seem like we aren't too far off from being allowed to have facial hair though, so at least there's that to look forward to.

They said that the real reason for no facial hair was it was harder to get a proper seal on gas mask and FFE but I felt like that was bullshit when I was in since I worked in a repair locker during GQ.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
They said that the real reason for no facial hair was it was harder to get a proper seal on gas mask and FFE but I felt like that was bullshit when I was in since I worked in a repair locker during GQ.
Ahh the ephemeral "they". The real reason: because it's a grooming regulation. It does not need to have some other reason. You follow orders, unless they are unlawful, and move on.

Masta_killah

Oct 28, 2017
I am not necessarily going to look down on someone who joins the armed forces, because a lot of them are, as noted, poor and desperate and don't have any good options. I would never advise it but I will understand the decision as an unfortunate last resort.

I will be quite happy to dismiss anyone who is joining the military to prove their bravery or manliness or to carry a big gun. Those are shitbags making the entire world worse. Especially when the question of what their sacrifices amounted to, rarely expressed in any terms more concrete than "our freedom!!!!"

As an example of what actually happens in combat zones for the uninitiated, an army guy firing on some Iraqi civilians trying to enter a base in hopes their son could get medical attention sure as shit doesn't make me safer or freer. It just fuels radicalization against our country.

I can respect that. I've dealt with joe navy's like that and they rarely last in the fleet so I get where you're coming from.

Ahh the ephemeral "they". The real reason: because it's a grooming regulation. It does not need to have some other reason. You follow orders, unless they are unlawful, and move on.

ive been away from the fleet for a few years but it was supposedly due to the gas mask. Now that I'm learning about the new m50's it could be because of that. Don't know much info on them but they're the replacement to the mcu2's and that could be the reason for the new grooming standards.

Any army people care to share since these things were originally started by you guys.

edit: found this

Earlier this year, the Army released a directive allowing beards in uniform for Sikh soldiers, despite tests showing that the M50 couldn't get a perfect seal with a beard.

Bearded soldiers would not, however, be allowed to serve in the CBRNE units that are tasked with responding to contaminant attacks.

That exception opened up the doors to re-thinking the beard question, the Army G-1 uniform policy sergeant major told Army Times in February.

In addition to further tests on current Army equipment with beards, the Army's acquisition office is looking into alternative masks that could be fielded to soldiers with beards, a spokesman told Army Times in March.

That could mean, Benoit said, tiers of gas mask depending on units — something different for CBRNE soldiers and the infantry, for example.

"Right now, we do the protection for all-encompassing threats," Benoit said. "As we really take a look at what's necessary, ... for example, there might be appropriate times where you just have a scarf protection that covers your nose, mouth, that type of thing, for more specific threats."

"Beards are something that we will continue to address, because they're not going to go away," she added.

since everyone onboard is required to be DC qualified and each person could be used for CBRN surveys, it is the reason for no more beards.

Last edited:

Bobcats

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How old are you exactly? Age limit for the Air Force is 39, and I've seen plenty of people joining in their 30s (I myself am on the older side, at 25).

Edit: Honestly, a lot of AF jobs aren't much different from corporate though.

I guess I'm young enough then. I thought the limit was 27 for some reason.

Time to get more serious about getting in shape again and think hard on this.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

If you're doing Air Force then it's the easiest fitness tests of the bunch. You have 13 1/2 minutes to do a mile and a half run.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah definitely look up what kind of weight you need to lose or gain to get to the AF's standard then call up a recruiter.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I've just been wondering, have any of you military/former military ever actually met someone who joined the military out of sincere patriotism ?