• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Oh shit thanks!
Ngl, I was just gonna wait till I had a new tax return, but every once in awhile paranoia kicks in, "what if I got hit by a car right now, how would I pay them bills?" So yea, I guess I'll get on that.

Do you live near a VA hospital? You can always travel to one and MAKE THEM PAY FOR THE TRIP!

(Canadian) Naval officer checking in. Definitely the best decision I ever made after not being able to find a job post-university in 2010. A decade in and I'm still loving it, have had an absolutely astonishing amount of cool experiences and seen so much of the world it's not funny.

My last tour on ship was 2.5 years as the ship's navigator, drove our ship into probably 3 dozen cities/ports in a dozen or so countries on both sides of the Atlantic. Been to all three coasts of Canada, have lived in 4 provinces, visited 7 plus a territory, make very good money, have received professional certifications that transfer to the civilian world in ship driving, navigation, project management and meteorology. Can definitely pursue a sponsored masters within the next 5 years if I want to, get second language training, visit another dozen countries or more around the pacific (only been Atlantic so far, except for a few stops in Washington - Everett, Seattle and Friday Harbour - during a training course).

Visited Europe, the Caribbean, have been in helicopters, driven through 6metre/20 foot seas for days on end, been up into glaciers and sailed around icebergs, driven up rivers and across oceans. I've watched missiles and large guns fire, launched drones, crawled around inside of giant engines and boilers the size of a small house, sailed on 5 different kinds of ships from oilers to destroyers to small coastal patrol vessels (and toured a couple different kinds of submarines) directed high speed transits of a frigate in pitch black through fjords at high speed, boarded other ships to do cargo search and seizure in support of counter narcotics efforts, and the list just goes on and on.

Sure, sometimes it sucks. There's a lot of nonsense, there's a lot of stress, you sometimes run on little sleep for days or even weeks on end, work can be physically demanding and your entire house can sometimes just rock 45 degrees in every direction continuously for hours, you'll do mindless shit for far too long and wonder if there's even any reason behind whatever the task is (probably, but maybe it's just busy work). But all that said, it's fucking awesome and I'm glad I get to keep doing it.

10 years down, probably got at least another 10-15 in me. And no, I've never had to shoot somebody nor been shot at. My closest approximation of anything resembling "combat" was the single time that I had to use an asp baton to hit a guy's arm once when he was threatening to hit myself and a member of my boarding team with a shovel or oar or something of that nature. He dropped it, we zip tied his hands, and that is the entire extent of aggression I've experienced in 10 years.

Again, Canadian, not American, but it has been amazing and I wish more people would consider it as an option available to them. There's a ton of cool jobs available that will give great benefits, good salary and let you experience a bunch of awesome stuff. Definitely don't just write it off immediately as not an option, it could be the best decision you ever make. Of course, it could also be one of the worst decisions you ever make, so know what you're getting yourself into and do some research about what exactly it is that you want to do.

While I only did 4 years enlisted in the US Navy, this mirrors my experience as well.

I went from High School Droupout to Command Watch officer in 3 years. Made E5 in 3 years and one of the most important things that no recruiter can explain. THE FRIENDS YOU MAKE IN THE SERVICE ARE FRIENDS FOR LIFE!! Even if I haven't spoken to somebody in years, if they said they needed me for something, I would be on the next flight out no doubt. There is a loyalty that can't be expressed.

Last edited:

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
The info you provided is extremely useful and will be going into my save for later folder.
Awesome. Explore that whole site (well the compensation part for disability benefits, but it has more), it has all the administrative rules VA has to follow regarding benefits. It is not advertised, but it's literally what I use to call errors on decisions I review daily.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I respect mostly everyone's opinions , but those who say don't join/I rather be homeless and you;re joining just to die have no idea what they speak of, you can literally die anywhere at any time, so the risk factor really shouldn't be a big considering when deciding to join/not join.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Im pretty sure I disclosed it. It was asthma and it never really bothered me at the time but I was so scared that if I lied I'd go to jail or something.
I get chu

I had to go to (while still in the recruiting process) to my childhood pediatrician and get them to give me this lung strength test results from some years back that cleared me from asthma.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Getting kicked out of the miltary is nearly impossible unless you mess up BAD, I've known people who have done stuff that would normally get them jail time, if they like you enough and you do good work(follow orders), you have no chance of getting kicked out, especially if you're a PT stud.

SpiritSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
Getting kicked out of the miltary is nearly impossible unless you mess up BAD, I've known people who have done stuff that would normally get them jail time, if they like you enough and you do good work(follow orders), you have no chance of getting kicked out, especially if you're a PT stud.

Wouldn't say nearly impossible but if you fess up, admit you made a mistake, and actually learn from it they may not be as harsh when dealing out punishment.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Wouldn't say nearly impossible but if you fess up, admit you made a mistake, and actually learn from it they may not be as harsh when dealing out punishment.
Where I was it was impossible, some of the people I knew did some really serious stuff and the most they got was 45 extra duty (while extra duty fucking sucks, its a nothing punishment).

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Where I was it was impossible, some of the people I knew did some really serious stuff and the most they got was 45 extra duty (while extra duty fucking sucks, its a nothing punishment).

How serious we talking about. I was a juror in a court martial and the individual got what was coming.

Edit: the case I saw dealt with kids so maybe that's why

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I respect mostly everyone's opinions , but those who say don't join/I rather be homeless and you;re joining just to die have no idea what they speak of, you can literally die anywhere at any time, so the risk factor really shouldn't be a big considering when deciding to join/not join.

I'm not going to tell people not to join, but to be 100% sure they know everything.

The military can be a rewarding experience, but it can also be damaging.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
How serious we talking about. I was a juror in a court martial and the individual got what was coming.
Obviously I won't name this person, but this person did the following and did not get kicked out:

- Lent his car for a drive by shooting
- Went AWOL for 2 days
- Drug Use
- Went to a lot of parties and drank with underage people , to a point where right before he left, he was not allowed near schools or be with daughter without supervision.

SpiritSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
That's not necessarily a good thing. Where's the accountability? If people know they can do something with minimal repercussions what's to stop them from doing it again?

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
That's not necessarily a good thing. Where's the accountability? If people know they can do something with minimal repercussions what's to stop them from doing it again?
Ohh its not a good thing at all, I guess I just said that in case someone who makes a mistake or something is afraid they will get severely punished or something.

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Obviously I won't name this person, but this person did the following and did not get kicked out:

- Went AWOL for 2 days
- Drug Use
- Went to a lot of parties and drank with underage people , to a point where right before he left, he was not allowed near schools or be with daughter without supervision.

Yeah, drug use alone is automatic Adsep

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It should absolutely be a risk factor. And not just for your death, but the contributions you make towards the deaths of others. It really shouldn't be this big shock to you that people don't want to contribute to the assloads of deaths the American military is responsible for

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It should absolutely be a risk factor. And not just for your death, but the contributions you make towards the deaths of others. It really shouldn't be this big shock to you that people don't want to contribute to the assloads of deaths the American military is responsible for
If you don;t work a combat MOS or something, I don't see why you should feel responsible for peoples deaths , but thats just what I think.

Masta_killah

Oct 28, 2017
The posters shitting on military folk in here sound like they'd really get along well with people that go into Wal-Mart with a "Jesus is my Rock Star" t-shirt on and scream at cashiers that they think Snickers bars at Wal-Mart should be 1$ not $1.50.
😂

i tend to just ignore them or try to helpfully correct them. But in the end it's one of the reasons I joined the military, to allow people that freedom to say their minds. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Era would have a heartache if they heard how we really talk. lol
driven through 6metre/20 foot seas for days on end
THIS! You aren't a sailor till you go through swells like this! Best sleep you'll ever get. Lol

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
😂

i tend to just ignore them or try to helpfully correct them. But in the end it's one of the reasons I joined the military, to allow people that freedom to say their minds. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Era would have a heartache if they heard how we really talk. lol
ERA would explode if they knew how we all used to talk to each other.

Masta_killah

Oct 28, 2017
Facts. I actually went to mast. But I fessed up and only got a suspended bust. it kinda screwed with my advancement cycle for about a year, but I've recovered and am now an E6. The joke in the navy is that going to captains mast is a check mark for making chief. Lol

Masta_killah

Oct 28, 2017

- Went AWOL for 2 days
- Drug Use
This is branch specific. You would definitely get kicked out if you were in the Navy. Popping for drugs alone gets you kicked out immediately(after getting 45 days restriction). Though I have heard of some crazy stories about seals. Friend was in rehab and supposedly he was in a group with a seal. Guy had all sorts of issues from wife beating to drugs(heroin I think). He was sent to rehab by his command to clean him up. Don't know if it's true but with how much it cost to train 1 seal operator, it could be true.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
This is branch specific. You would definitely get kicked out if you were in the Navy. Popping for drugs alone gets you kicked out immediately(after getting 45 days restriction). Though I have heard of some crazy stories about seals. Friend was in rehab and supposedly he was in a group with a seal. Guy had all sorts of issues from wife beating to drugs(heroin I think). He was sent to rehab by his command to clean him up. Don't know if it's true but with how much it cost to train 1 seal operator, it could be true.
I though Seals were pretty much untouchable?

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Do you live near a VA hospital? You can always travel to one and MAKE THEM PAY FOR THE TRIP!

While I only did 4 years enlisted in the US Navy, this mirrors my experience as well.

I went from High School Droupout to Command Watch officer in 3 years. Made E5 in 3 years and one of the most important things that no recruiter can explain. THE FRIENDS YOU MAKE IN THE SERVICE ARE FRIENDS FOR LIFE!! Even if I haven't spoken to somebody in years, if they said they needed me for something, I would be on the next flight out no doubt. There is a loyalty that can't be expressed.

Sadly, in that entire wall of text I wrote I somehow completely forgot to even mention the people. Yes, you're absolutely right. Some of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of working with (also some of the worst, but for some reason I focus more on the good folk and forget the bad ones), and theres just something about experiencing a super long, stressful experience together that just forges bonds stronger than any others I have outside of my earliest childhood friends and my university roommate.

I still keep in touch with people I did basic training with 10 years ago despite never working with them again (yet), or folks that I did training with or time on a ship at the same level. Hell, I just sent one of my old ship's commanding officers an email earlier today (sailed on his ship in 2015) about my upcoming posting this summer, asking for some advice and also asking to touch base with him in person once I relocate. He responded within two hours despite not seeing me for years and being at sea with his new ship that he's the CO of, with nothing but words of encouragement and agreeing to sit down and catch up when I get out there in a few months.

Just amazing bonds that can form between people from mere months together, it's crazy. I love the people I work with, and it's definitely something far more significant than any other friendships I've managed to form throughout my adult life.

THIS! You aren't a sailor till you go through swells like this! Best sleep you'll ever get. Lol

Wait, I was supposed to sleep in that? Guess I did it wrong, I just spent multiple nights strapped into my bed with a seatbelt, trying not to fall out of it and hit my head on the desk 3 feet down and getting a massive headache from the motion never stopping. Then just catch 20 minutes of sleep on a couch or at my desk in the chart shack whenever the waves died down...

Last edited:

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I always wanted to join the marines after high school. But I never did cause of my girlfriend at that time. After grad school, I am considering joining the army later this year. If anything I wish I had done ROTC during undergrad.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
My friend joined the Air Force when we were in community college and I would've never expected him to be someone to join the military. Part of me wishes I joined with him. He doesn't make a ton of money but the perks are insane. Paying for housing all the leave and benefits. The only part that really held me back was the lack of being able to really control where you live.

Oct 28, 2017
Facts. I actually went to mast. But I fessed up and only got a suspended bust. it kinda screwed with my advancement cycle for about a year, but I've recovered and am now an E6. The joke in the navy is that going to captains mast is a check mark for making chief. Lol

I went to mast (2x) both times for pretty dumb shit. 30days restriction, 30days extra duty never got bust and still made E5 in 3 years and they wanted me to reenlist. I told the CMC that it was time for me to go back to Philly and smoke weed and make babies, neither of which i really intended on doing but it was my way of saying thanks but no thanks. He looked me dead in the eye and said "I can't wait for you to be out of my navy!" I told him "73 and a wake up" and we never spoke again.

SHOUT OUT TO THE USS HAYLER DD-997,

Masta_killah

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, I was supposed to sleep in that? Guess I did it wrong, I just spent multiple nights strapped into my bed with a seatbelt, trying not to fall out of it and hit my head on the desk 3 feet down and getting a massive headache from the motion never stopping. Then just catch 20 minutes of sleep on a couch or at my desk in the chart shack whenever the waves died down...
The amount of rocking would make you seasick. Part of being seasick is that it makes you really drowsy, which when in your rack puts you out better than melatonin. Lol

i was always salty with the amout of siq chits got passed to topsiders so that they were confined to bed rest. Us engineers on the other hand.... being on a balls watch with a puke bag was part of our daily routine. Lol only plus side of rough seas was that because 90% of the crew was sick in bed, the mess lines were empty. Getting 2-3 extra portions was nice if you could keep the food down and not vomit everywhere. Lol

SHOUT OUT TO THE USS HAYLER DD-997,
Hell yea! Small boy life! I was on a DDG out in Norfolk. Crossing the Atlantic was one helluva ride.lol

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I always wanted to join the marines after high school. But I never did cause of my girlfriend at that time. After grad school, I am considering joining the army later this year. If anything I wish I had done ROTC during undergrad.
The army is always looking for qualified people to fill officer slots. Go for it.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
The amount of rocking would make you seasick. Part of being seasick is that it makes you really drowsy, which when in your rack puts you out better than melatonin. Lol

i was always salty with the amout of siq chits got passed to topsiders so that they were confined to bed rest. Us engineers on the other hand.... being on a balls watch with a puke bag was part of our daily routine. Lol only plus side of rough seas was that because 90% of the crew was sick in bed, the mess lines were empty. Getting 2-3 extra portions was nice if you could keep the food down and not vomit everywhere. Lol

Hell yea! Small boy life! I was on a DDG out in Norfolk. Crossing the Atlantic was one helluva ride.lol

Slam us "topsiders" all you want, but the vertical change when your on the bridge from the top of one wave to the bottom of the next trough is a lot more unsettling than being centerline down low in the machinery control room or CIC.

On the plus side, at least I got to look out the window and could properly brace myself and know where the next motion was going to be. I preferred being on the bridge than anywhere else on the ship when the weather was rough like that just because being able to see helped a lot with alleviating the sea sickness. And when the waves weren't breaking over the bridge wings, you could crack the door and get some fresh air, while the rest of the upper decks would be out of bounds. really is the little things in life.

I do remember taking one watch in February one year where both lookouts and the helmsman were sick. The smell on the bridge was so raunchy that I immediately went to the wing and threw up over the side. Which, due to wind and cold of thegoddamn North Atlantic in February,immediately blew alldown the side of the ship and froze to it. The Buffer/Chief Boatswain Mate made damn sure that I was the one scrubbing it off, not any of the junior ranks, and for the better part of that week I brought my own bag up on watch.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
My friend joined the Air Force when we were in community college and I would've never expected him to be someone to join the military. Part of me wishes I joined with him. He doesn't make a ton of money but the perks are insane. Paying for housing all the leave and benefits. The only part that really held me back was the lack of being able to really control where you live.
Some people get lucky tho.
I know people that have gone -> Hawaii ->Korea -> Germany
And that's just fucking awesome

Masta_killah

Oct 28, 2017
Slam us "topsiders" all you want, but the vertical change when your on the bridge from the top of one wave to the bottom of the next trough is a lot more unsettling than being centerline down low in the machinery control room or CIC.

On the plus side, at least I got to look out the window and could properly brace myself and know where the next motion was going to be. I preferred being on the bridge than anywhere else on the ship when the weather was rough like that just because being able to see helped a lot with alleviating the sea sickness. And when the waves weren't breaking over the bridge wings, you could crack the door and get some fresh air, while the rest of the upper decks would be out of bounds. really is the little things in life.

I do remember taking one watch in February one year where both lookouts and the helmsman were sick. The smell on the bridge was so raunchy that I immediately went to the wing and threw up over the side. Which, due to wind and cold of thegoddamn North Atlantic in February,immediately blew alldown the side of the ship and froze to it. The Buffer/Chief Boatswain Mate made damn sure that I was the one scrubbing it off, not any of the junior ranks, and for the better part of that week I brought my own bag up on watch.
Lol my OS buddies on bridge watch would always say the same thing when we were arguing about who had it worst. But they at least got to go to sleep after watch. we had to stay up and do the days maintenance or prep for drills or... lol

shit like this is why I like the navy so much. It's our shared experience of the suck that people will never understand.😂

Bobcats

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm too old to join at this point. I also think never enlisting was a mistake I made because corporate life is not for me, and now I'm stuck

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Lol my OS buddies on bridge watch would always say the same thing when we were arguing about who had it worst. But they at least got to go to sleep after watch. we had to stay up and do the days maintenance or prep for drills or... lol

shit like this is why I like the navy so much. It's our shared experience of the suck that people will never understand.😂
Yeah, it's not really a question of who had it worse. Everyone had it the worst, and we always just try to one up each other on how much worse our own shit was. Classic navy.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I've thought about it but then a car accident messed up my hip so i don't qualify now

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
My mate joined the Navy and came out of it a Trump supporting alt right douchebag. I would advise people against joining the military.

Masta_killah

Oct 28, 2017
My mate joined the Navy and came out of it a Trump supporting alt right douchebag. I would advise people against joining the military.

At least he had the courage to do something extraordinarly difficult. Leaving your love ones behind and doing something unknown which might get you killed takes some guts.👀

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I tried joining the Air Force, but i wasn't smart enough to pass the test. :( Oh well i don't think it would be a good fit for me anyways.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
At least he had the courage to do something extraordinarly difficult. Leaving your love ones behind and doing something unknown which might get you killed takes some guts.👀
I don't think there are many Aussie Navy men getting killed in action these days. His job was mostly to search through Indonesian fishing trawlers.