• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Did you know that was actually the original intended title for "War and Peace"?
elaine.jpg

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Most important thing I'd say is to not burn your money. Generally, if you're single, you'll have food and housing paid for/provided. Don't burn your paycheck on stuff you don't need!

Maybe at least only burn half of it!

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
From what friends of mine who have been in the British army recently (as in left recently because obviously there's no deployments on arm and they lost interest) have told me, do not join the British Army Infantry as a normal soldier. Either become an officer if you have the qualifications for the money, or take any other role for better post-military career prospects. Become a soldier right now and you'll just train for years on end.

Also from my own experience actually going to recruitment centres when I was slightly younger (just before I decided agaisnt it) do not join the Royal Navy as an officer. I was litteraly in the Royal Navy recruitment office, and the guy was trying to convince me to become an meteorologist officer instead of a normal officer because they're over capacity on them, don't have enough ships and they all "get treated like bitchs" (his words not mine).

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
The military (US military in particular) has a huge range of career opportunities. People act like 90% of the forces are frontline Marines dealing with daily urban combat. If there's a trade or skillset you are interested in, then 9/10 there's a military version of it. For every person on the frontline there's a (literal army) of supply workers, cooks, mechanics, managers, janitors, technicians, typists, engineers, etc.

If you're smart then the military can be a fast-track to improving your life and planning a future.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Air Force reserves with free college ain't a bad way to go, if you don't mind the military life. I know a couple of people that went that route.

Idealism is great, but it won't keep you warm at night and put food in your belly. You need a paycheck for that. No point going into six figure debt for a bachelors degree either. Fuck all that.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OR you could not enlist to become murderer or enabler of murderers. hmm.
Do you think the military is just comprised of soldiers fighting on the frontlines?

Because there are entire corps of doctors, medics, engineers, architects, mechanics, laborers, cooks, counselors, and logisticians that are just doing good work around the world that have nothing to do with combat.

The Air Force for instance does a lot for the US's meteorology systems. Just a bunch of chill, dedicated people playing with satellites and crunching numbers. Certain divisions of the army employ geologists and cartographers to make maps and GPS databases for the public to use.

The military as a day to day entity is not solely dedicated to murdering people.

I think OP is just saying if you have a trade skill (or want to learn one) or want some form of direction, enlisting might be a decent way to orient yourself.

Last edited:

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
If you ever have an interest in joining any military branch , I have some advice:

- Join the Air Force if you can, it is definitely the chillest of the branches and the best one in terms of transitioning to a civilian life if you ever want to leave.

- Pick a supply MOS if you can , oneof the easiest jobs in the Army and pretty relaxed if you have a good team. You can also really screw people over If you deal with douche bags.

- Military life is simple: Be in decent shape, follow orders, avoid BS (drinking, drugs, sucky people) and show up on time in the right uniform.

- ALWAYS document your injuries, no matter how insignificant you think they are, if you hurt your arms/legs , go to sick call/hospital, you will be made fun of by your coworkers for being "weak" but fuck anyone who tells you to "tough it up" if you hurt yourself , keep it well documented and when youget out , FILE claims with the VA (use the DAV or VSO to help you make claims), if your injuries are documented and they are bad , you will probably geta good VA percentage and pretty much be set for life to a point where you don't really have to work anymore if you don't want too (well this is more doable if you are single/married with no kids).
But I can't join the US military here. What now?

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Let's see:

The GI Bill paid for my 50k Undergrad tuition, plus gave me 1500 a month housing stipend for the GI Bill (54,000 after 4 years), I get to put down my service on every application, I took out a VA loan which allowed me to take out a home loan for $0 down, and VA loans are government guaranteed so I pay no PMI which would have been $200 dollars a month until I paid 20% of the homes' principal (you do the math, but that's a lot).

If you play your cards right and hold out for either a good job in the army, or join the chair force it can be life changing. Yeah, I did see a lot a shit as a combat medic that I wish I didnt, but the positives after the fact far outweigh the negatives.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Untreated mental illness/PTSD because it's a tried and true tradition for the VA to kick our veterans to the curb like gutter trash when they come home

I have a co-worker who is hearing impaired from his time in Afghanistan. It took the VA 5 years to get him hearing aids. The candidate challenging my house rep also has had problems with the VA.

IMO no one should join the US military unless they think they have no other choice. If the government doesn't screw you overseas they'll screw you over when they get back here.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Can confirm Air Force is chill

We should have a military OT tbh, there was a previous thread on the subject and seemed to be way more people here than I thought who had been in the service
I would be so down. Would be a good place to connect with other vets.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I've thought about it a few times, but I'm good. I could probably co-operate with the military in some civilian role, but I don't think I'm cut out for military work. Didn't even get any military training growing up.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
The military isn't all combat people , depending on the MOS, you will barely/if eve,r,get deployed and I still believe it is a good option for those who need direction, something to do , military has a lot of pros and cons, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons (for me anyways).

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
The military isn't all combat people , depending on the MOS, you will barely/if eve,r,get deployed and I still believe it is a good option for those who need direction, something to do , military has a lot of pros and cons, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons (for me anyways).
Depends on your job. I've been in four years and I've spent a year of that enlistment overseas in the sandbox.

shit sucks

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I almost joined, but then got hurt real bad in a martial arts competition. It was about a year before 9/11, so I guess I was lucky.

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You could walk into a VA's office with a bayonet sticking out of your rib cage and they'll still reject your application the first time around. You're your own advocate so you need meticulous documentation; the military sure as hell ain't gonna look out for you.

This is 100% accurate. My aunt who worked for the VA used to get in trouble with her supervisor for approving cases at first look.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Yeah the VA is really hit or miss , really depends on the one you go too, I got lucky and the VA where I live is pretty good.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I think a big con for a lot of people (at least this progressives and liberals on this forum) is the ethical issue of how the U.S. military is used.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I think a big con for a lot of people (at least this progressives and liberals on this forum) is the ethical issue of how the U.S. military is used.
Understandable , the military is full of BS, I have plenty of stories about that and some rules are just dumb as hell but I still think the pros outweigh the cons, the military is a toll you should use to improve your life, it's like most jobs, you just have to deal with a lot of more BS and you can't really quit if you hate it, pretty much have to bear it until your contract is up .

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Seems like the Air Force is the best way to get in, get your education paid for, learn a skill that you can use once you leave the military, and the least likely to die a combat death yeah?

Could be a good option if you are at the end of the rope with no prospects.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I was navy and worked with Air Force the entire four years to the point where I basically felt like i was in the Air Force.
Good times.
I recommend anyone under 25 to join.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
The recruitment process for the AF sucks though , They take forever to ship you out.

Oct 27, 2017
I did my millitary service when I was 18, fun times. But I'm Swedish so I had to more or less.

Learned alot and had fun. And I think having it as a career here in Sweden is great, the risk of having to go in to combat is minimal, unless we get invaded, but if we get invaded everyone 18-75 is supposed to do their part so everyone is screwed haha.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

I hear that but if you're poor, live in a small town with zero options, and can't afford college (especially since you can't even commute to one to keep costs way down), then I really don't know how many other options you have?

Ethics and principles are great if you can afford them. Unfortunately, our society and US politics force people to make difficult choices.

It's also pretty easy to pick something where you file paperwork all day and never see combat. You'll have to avoid the temptation of those signing bonuses though since they hand those out for combat jobs a lot of the time.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Joined the Navy straight out of high school and served for 5 years. Enjoyed my time in; taught me a lot about responsibility, time management, hard work and just being an adult. Also got to see a lot of the world. Made three deployments to the Middle East. We'd always pass through the Mediterranean so it was awesome hitting those European ports. Made some friends and memories I wouldn't trade for the world. It also paid for all my college and allowed me to go to school without having to worry about getting a job due to the allowance they paid me while attending. I'm now a software engineer and while my time in the military wasn't always great I don't regret it one bit. Sure, it was a huge commitment and the work was grueling at times but the end result was well worth it.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I got to see to Alaska and the Aurora Borealis , never would have gotten the chance to if I didn't join.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
id say go IT or any computer related job. they get a lot of certificates and sometimes a security clearance. my biggest advice is: do your 4-6 years and gtfo. they're gonna want you to reenlist. don't

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up year 16 on the AF O side. Four to go.

Do I recommend it for most people? Hell no. I've had some amazing opportunities...and put up with crazy shit as well. I've lived on the east coast, west coast, Colorado, Texas, Hawaii. Also spent too much time in Afghanistan and Iraq. Tradeoffs.

Finished my master's degree in a fairly competitive environment. Have a lot of experience and credentials that will practically guarantee me a great public or private job when I get out. I might not even need it, TBH. Been saving and investing heavily in real estate over the years, and my pension opens up a lot of doors. 50% of my base pay for the rest of my life for waking up and sitting on my couch? Okay. This plan is different now for new members.

Just one FYI since it was asked earlier: the military does lean right, but it's also a microcosm of America. Our youngest members tend to lean more to the left. The more educated O core also seems a lot more evenly split. I'm a senior officer and in my career field it's closer to 40/60 Democrat: Republican. Most people despise Trump and consider him to be using us as a prop. You also have a lot of "non-political"' types at the general/flag officer level, whether that's true or just lip service.

Last edited:

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I got to see to Alaska and the Aurora Borealis , never would have gotten the chance to if I didn't join.
Cool that you got to see it, but let's not go nuts. Who knows what could else had happened in your life had you not joined? I'm not disparaging the military, my father was navy for 20 years, I was almost Air Force until I changed my mind before processing, so no beef with service. These claims are just starting to get more and more grandiose lol. That aside, my fathers images of his trips to the med were awesome. Used to wear those jackets he would bring me back with all the patches when I was real young.

Some great opportunity nonetheless. I was actually considering reserves a while back, but not sure how helpful my human services degree would be.

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does set you up for life if you do what the OP says. I've received a completely free education through grad school. Actually better than free since they pay me a stipend for every month that I'm in school. Disability check comes every month, free healthcare and dental for life (VA so not the greatest, but free). Had the chance to travel the world and visit many different countries before I was even old enough to buy beer.

I just made the stupid decision to join the infantry (and for 5 years instead of 3) so my experience was much worse than it could have been. You get all the same benefits after doing some desk job. Do that.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not American but this post sounds a bit like I heard from our own military. The idea of joining the Air Force/Navy is something I've been thinking about for the longest time, but being that kind of person who doesn't like to lead but also doesn't like to take nonsensical orders from stupid people in positions of power, I don't think I would fit in there. I can do it in a civilian setting, but in a military setting is probably way worse.

I was surprised though to find out from people who had family on the military that there's a lot of liberal/leftist people depending on the branch, maybe things are not so simplistic as many people tend to think when talking about the military.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It does set you up for life if you do what the OP says. I've received a completely free education through grad school. Actually better than free since they pay me a stipend for every month that I'm in school. Disability check comes every month, free healthcare and dental for life (VA so not the greatest, but free). Had the chance to travel the world and visit many different countries before I was even old enough to buy beer.

I just made the stupid decision to join the infantry (and for 5 years instead of 3) so my experience was much worse than it could have been. You get all the same benefits after doing some desk job. Do that.
Good post , if you don't want to see combat go supply, can't go wrong and also do not do reserves, if you ever join go active.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My dad was in the Air Force (medic) and served in Vietnam. He told us never to join the military. He had plenty of stories and said some things were good. He was kind of a wild guy in high school and he said he needed the military to straighten him out a bit. Since me and my brother weren't little bastards and didn't need to be straightened out he told us to just go to college instead. I was never interested in joining the military but I still took his advice to heart.

my good friend from middle and high school went off to iraq and got blown in half by an RPG. He came home in a body bag. Can't speak for him now that he's gone but I'd guess he'd not choose the military again if he had a choice. I remember talking to him a few months before he died when he was between deployments, he was looking forward to finishing up his time in the military and being a civilian again.

I also had a friend who served in Afghanistan. He came home completely fucked in the head with ptsd. One time I found him cowering under his bed having some weird ass flashbacks shit I don't even know. What once was a good friend is still a shell of who he used to be, and yea life direction and geographic distance has made our friendship change, but I think the military and its effects on him is the biggest factor.

I got another high school friend who is basically a maga chud white power guy and always has been. He claims he was a sniper in Iraq and blew the heads off a bunch of "sand Ni..." seems the military just gave him the chance to be more racist than usual, and to live out his murder fantasies. I try not see him when I'm back in town but sometimes we run into each other.

tldr don't join the military

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
I did my millitary service when I was 18, fun times. But I'm Swedish so I had to more or less.

Learned alot and had fun. And I think having it as a career here in Sweden is great, the risk of having to go in to combat is minimal, unless we get invaded, but if we get invaded everyone 18-75 is supposed to do their part so everyone is screwed haha.
The salary in the Swedish military sucks though and you don't need the military to pay for your education or health care so I'd say it sucks as a career here. But of course if you enjoy it go for it, you are unlikely to go on an imperialist war at least.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
My dad was in the Air Force (medic) and served in Vietnam. He told us never to join the military. He had plenty of stories and said some things were good. He was kind of a wild guy in high school and he said he needed the military to straighten him out a bit. Since me and my brother weren't little bastards and didn't need to be straightened out he told us to just go to college instead. I was never interested in joining the military but I still took his advice to heart.

my good friend from middle and high school went off to iraq and got blown in half by an RPG. He came home in a body bag. Can't speak for him now that he's gone but I'd guess he'd not choose the military again if he had a choice. I remember talking to him a few months before he died when he was between deployments, he was looking forward to finishing up his time in the military and being a civilian again.

I also had a friend who served in Afghanistan. He came home completely fucked in the head with ptsd. One time I found him cowering under his bed having some weird ass flashbacks shit I don't even know. What once was a good friend is still a shell of who he used to be, and yea life direction and geographic distance has made our friendship change, but I think the military and its effects on him is the biggest factor.

I got another high school friend who is basically a maga chud white power guy and always has been. He claims he was a sniper in Iraq and blew the heads off a bunch of "sand Ni..." seems the military just gave him the chance to be more racist than usual, and to live out his murder fantasies. I try not see him when I'm back in town but sometimes we run into each other.

tldr don't join the military
My sincerest condolences for your friends and for your father , yes there are experiences like that in the military , but it doesn't encompass everyone's military experience, the military can change your life for the better, you have to deal with a lot more BS and deal with some real unsavory people (I've dealt with a lot of Trump lovers and such).