• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Phantasy Star IV
Skies of Arcadia
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Yeah, I'm the weirdo who loved RPGs, but was also a Sega loyalist during the 16 and early 32-bit eras.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If we're talking best case remakes & not monkey-paw remakes, then...

1 - Panzer Dragoon Saga. It has a lot of great ideas, but the technology just wasn't there on the Saturn and the gameplay doesn't have enough depth to carry a 20 hour RPG.
2 - Xenogears. The gameplay wasn't very good (and has long stretches of just watching cutscenes) but the story & characters were interesting & the music was killer. I'd love to see a remake that gives the ending segments the time they deserve and overhauls the gameplay.
3 - Persona 3. There are 3 versions of this game and none of them are definitive. Combine the best parts of FES & Portable, throw in P5 graphics & QoL, and add some new content.

Honorable mention, I'd love to personally work on a Phantasy Star 2 remake since there's a lot of potential there. I'd also love a Lunar: Eternal Blue where the entire game looks like the anime cutscenes, which is more than possible these days.

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
Parasite Eve remade and expanded a bit would be amazing
Xenogears disc 2 needs to be fully realized
Saga Frontier had a bunch of cut content

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
- Final Fantasy VIII - Bold, huge scoped and risk-taking like VII Remake, I always felt since this one is more controversial it'd be more we'll received if they took liberties with the battle system and storytelling. It'd be a great opportunity to fix stuff that people had a problem with AND accentuate the game's strengths like the gorgeous visuals/art style and the soundtrack

- Final Fantasy VI - faithful to the original, just a modern update with VA, 3D graphics, remastered OST, new cutscenes, but the battle system remains similar to the original and the story is the same.

- Xenogears - never played this but I'd love to and apparently people think it'd benefit drastically from a remake.

I guess any of the mother/earthbound games would work too.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
-Final Fantasy V since they'd probably improve it a lot and move on to 6 eventually.
-Super Mario RPG
-Wild Card, honestly. Does Sweet Home count? If not, anything from the NES/GB that is already outdated mechanically.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
KOtOR
KOtoR 2
FFVI

Persona 3 is a wildcard, but it's more because (as has already been said) there's 3 different versions of that game out there, none of which are definitive. Combining P3P and the Answer into one package would be ace (along with other improvements P4 and 5 have since made)

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I'd say this was in no particular order, but that would be a lie.
  1. Skies of Arcadia
  2. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
  3. Chrono Trigger
Skies of Arcadia will always be on top of any "What RPG needs to be ported/remade" list for me. With FF7 returning, we need the counter-programming that is the all out fun and adventure game that is Skies of Arcadia. Speed up the battles, go all in with cinematic angles on the ship battles, full voice acting, and keep the sense of discovery exactly the same.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War is lauded as the best Fire Emblem that never saw a localization outside Japan. A lot of the modern Fire Emblem features can be traced back to this game and it was cited as the inspiration for Three Houses. If there was ever a time to revisit Jugral and give everyone a taste of this classic Fire Emblem, this would be it.

And Chrono Trigger. It's been mentioned here already, but between it's awesome take on the classic ATB system, Akira Toriyama style art, and excellent pacing, it would be nice to see it get a full on 3D upgrade. As the various Dragon Ball games and Dragon Quest show, the Toriyama artstyle is a solved problem for 3D models already.

Tony Montana

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Darklands - the game is heavily outdated in pretty much every way but has a really cool character creation and setting
  2. Arcanum
  3. KOTOR 2

OP
OP
Cloud-Strife

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
The idea is that the remake would be in the same level as the FF VII Remake.. expanding the original story and with a huge budget.

Morrowind and KOTOR would be another good candidates.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
1- Terranigma
2- Mother 3 (so Nintendo will finally release it in the west)
3- Super Mario RPG (with Captain Toad-like graphics)

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Morrowind, Knights of the Old Republic, Demon's Souls.

Slightly disgusted by the amount of people saying Chrono Trigger. If there's one game I never want to see butchered by 3D, whether it's that godforsaken Mana remake style or even Dragon Quest XI graphics, it's Chrono Trigger. There's just no way it could capture the magic of the original.

The only thing I see working for it is a HD sprite make-over akin to what they did with Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection or the recent Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 remakes.

OP
OP
Cloud-Strife

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I also forgot about Legend of Mana.. I hope that even if it's not a top 3 choice this game can still be a solid option for a remake.

I have really nice memories playing coop in Legend of Mana and the music was fantastic.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Xenogears is really the best answer, gameplay was "bad" even at the release and the second part of the story really need to be seen on screen instead of being told by some texts.
Other than that, probably a remake for Final Fantasy VI in the same vein of VIIR and Golden Sun, if only to see that kind of dungeon resolution translated in 3D.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
This will probably get locked since it's just a lists thread but my vote would go to the Soul Blazer/Illusion of Time/Terranigma trilogy

First it's only available on the Super NES and it highly deserves a Wonderboy 3 remake treatment. The music is fantastic, the plots are very interesting and deep for their release window, the characters are charming, the art is gorgeous and the last entry saw a very limited release.

Status
Not open for further replies.