• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Trilogy

• Mass Effect Trilogy

Votes: 1,097 75.4%
  • Witcher Trilogy

Votes: 358 24.6%

• Total voters

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played fully through the Witcher series, but thinking of doing one and I wondered how it compared to one of my all time favorite trilogys, Mass Effect. I did this thread years ago, but now that time has passed and all the dlc is out, I wanted to revisit Era consensus with an added poll!

If your feeling generous on this Christmas Day, you can recommend whether I should start with Witcher 1 or go straight to Witcher 2:Assassin of Kings

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Mass Effect by light years. The Witcher is not my thing. Tried playing the second one and gave up an hour in.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The Witcher, easily. Mass Effect got worse with each entry, The Witcher got better.

And how fine are you with jank? I love The Witcher 1, but it really shows its age, and - unlike its sequels - it's closer to a cRPG than an action RPG.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Mass effect is some of the best sci-fi content in all of fiction

What a good universe.

ovbm

Nov 9, 2017
Mass Effect. I'll choose sci-fi over fantasy anytime. Witcher is fun, but the tone and story are immature, sometimes downright sexist and cringy.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Having played both trilogies, Mass Effect by far. More interesting gameplay and consistent characters/story overall, with choices that matter across each game, which is hugely ambitious to me.

Witcher 2 and 3 are both good games in their own right though.

Edit:
If your feeling generous on this Christmas Day, you can recommend whether I should start with Witcher 1 or go straight to Witcher 2:Assassin of Kings
Witcher 1 is a very different game from 2 and 3. It's decent, but your time is probably better spent reading a synopsis then playing 2. Your decisions from the first game have minimal impact overall.

Nov 4, 2017
Mass Effect to me had a much more interesting setting and characters. The witcher games got more fancy over time but that open world in witcher 3 is dull.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
There's not enough Sci-Fi RPGs out there, while we have a crazy number of fantasy themed ones. Mass Effect easily.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nothing compares to Mass Effect. I've replayed that trilogy dozens of times over.

That said I still adore The Witcher trilogy, and The Witcher 3 is the best game I played last gen.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Mass Effect 2 and The Witcher 3 are GOAT level titles.

ME1 and ME3 are GOTY level titles.

The Witcher 2 is great.

The Witcher 1 exists.

Overall, the ME trilogy is vastly superior. I think the only other trilogy that can give it a run for its money is Metroid Prime.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
For me I'd say The Witcher 3 is better than any one Mass Effect game, but as an entire trilogy I prefer Mass Effect.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Mass Effect has 2 great games and 1 bad one. But it being the final game really leaves you with a sour taste.

Witcher has 2 great games, but I think the worst of it is the second. The 3rd is excellent, so you'll leave on a high note.

I look fondly on The Witcher series as a result. Mass Effect feels like a ruined franchise.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Mass Effect 1 was a fantastic RPG experience. However 2 and 3 pretty much streamlined the entire thing into a shooter with occasional spots for 2 or 3 dialogue choices.

Whereas Witcher 1 and 2 were solid (with jank) RPG experiences and Witcher 3 remains in my top 10 favorites games of all time.

So without question I'd go with the Witcher trilogy.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I liked all of the ME games but 2 was my favorite.

I think Witcher 2 was as good as ME2 - maybe slightly worse, and TW3 was better than all of them, but W1 was worse than all of them.

Not that hard of a decision. Witcher ends with a high note and Mass Effect does not.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
tough but i'd say ME because that series just resonated with me more. i completely bought into the universe and lore. although i think tw2 and tw3 are the objectively best games.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
As a trilogy, Mass Effect blows it out of the water. Not particularly big on the first two Witcher games. Though Witcher 3 is IMO better than any single ME game, though ME2 comes very close.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Mass Effect 1 & 2 are top 10 of all time games for me. Mass Effect 3 is not, but it's still ranks higher for me than any Witcher game.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect is the best trilogy of the 2 while also having the best game across the 2 franchises.

Easy choice for me.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
The Witcher verse is absolutely great but man... comparing it to mass effect is just injustice. The series has had TWO great games in TW2 and TW3 but the level of script, characters and the gameplay is just way above Witcher..when comparing TW1-3 vs ME1-3. Andromedia is just TW1 Tier overall for me and it doesn't even come close to TW2.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
ME trilogy has only ME 1 as a game I can fondly return to, whereas I really like all three Witcher games.

Oct 25, 2017
I did not like playing the first Witcher at all, but I enjoyed the story enough to see it through. It's not a very good game, but if you value getting to know characters, lore, and whatnot, I would play it. It makes the other games better.

Witcher 2 is significantly better than the first, but I still wouldn't say it's a fun game to actually play.....I mean neither is Witcher 3 for that matter. Probably why I was never excited for Cyberpunk. Never had faith in the team to actually make a game that's fun to play.

However, with that said, I enjoy the writing and story much more in the Witcher games, and that's basically what kept me playing.

And to answer your poll question.... it's tough, but I think I'd go with the Mass Effect trilogy. First game plays like shit and has other problems. Second was fantastic. Third I enjoyed more than most and didn't hate the ending like everyone else, but absolutely despised the way they handled decision making compared to the second game.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I prefer Sci-Fi over Fantasy

Also not so sure about the first two Witcher games - the third one is great for sure but all 3 of the ME games are amazing.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If I could have one game it'd probably be the Witcher 3.

But Mass Effect is a really high quality trilogy through and through. I don't ever replay TW1 or 2.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
I was thinking... I don't think I'll be able to wait for the Legendary Edition to start a new ME playthrough.

Also, another thing taht I believe weigths in favor of Mass Effect is that it's an original IP. I mean, this isn't inherently better or worse than basing a game over an existing franchise, but with Mass Effect, to me at least, it really felt like witnessing the birth of a new universe. Over the course of the three games the ME universe is so well stablished in my mind, so alive, so real... it become a hallmark in science fiction.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect. I like The Witcher, the third one is one of my favorite games and I consider the latter two great RPGs, but Mass Effect.

Might just be saying that because I wanting for a good Mass Effect game whereas I'm quite satisfied with The Witcher's selection of games.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Witcher for me. I would say Witcher 3 stomps all over the three ME games combined, but I actually have a soft spot for Witcher 1, having played through it 3 times. There's a particular charm to it.

Mass Effect was always lol in my opinion, but I'm looking forward to the Legendary Edition to see if I change my mind when I revisit it.

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised to see Mass Effect win. My answer is The Witcher, by a long shot. The story is better and your choices matter, unlike Mass Effect.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect. I'll choose sci-fi over fantasy anytime. Witcher is fun, but the tone and story are immature, sometimes downright sexist and cringy.
Nothing cringe about this:
JGfVTTi.jpg