• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
With the passage of time and the shifting trends of this ever-evolving industry, we've seen many great game developers/publishers come and go over the years. Some former greats had to close shop for one reason or another while others maybe saw a change in ownership or management that forever changed them for the worst. Whatever the case, I'm sure many of us here who've been gaming most of our lives have found ourselves wondering what the gaming landscape would look like if certain shifts hadn't occurred.

So this thread is our opportunity to postulate what might be if we were given the opportunity to travel back and time and prevent one game company from closing, merging with another company, or experiencing a change in ownership.

My vote is somewhat timely given all of the Banjo Kazooie revival rumors leading up to E3.

I'd go back in time and prevent Microsoft from poaching Rareware from Nintendo.

C3TZR1g81UNaPs7vzNXHueW5ZM76DSHWEY7onmfLxcK2iNz2XXU6nY33Mwc35nWcC24HNXwk9GiVmYABk9Bumt4RkXUgYDUhL4mwffKfD8mUdXc5YZFPFiN

Man, very few falls from grace within the gaming industry have hit me as hard as post-Microsoft acquisition Rare. In a blink of an eye, Rare suddenly went from being one of the premiere developers in gaming to one that labored in the shadows of its former glory. From Battletoads to Donkey Kong Country and Killer Instinct all the way through to their beloved N64 games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and the Banjo games, Rare had maintained a remarkably consistently level of quality through all of their games that suited their partnership with Nintendo at that time.

Back then, you knew a Rare game when you played one, especially post-DKC. They pioneered the Silicon Graphics-rendered 3D-to-2D sprite graphical style with Donkey Kong Country and Killer Instinct, and their visually appealing style carried over to their fully 3D N64 projects as well. Rare games of that era on Nintendo consoles always tended to be supremely polished with tight gameplay, a unique sense of humor and whimsy, and absolutely killer soundtracks. It's no exaggeration to say that their SNES/N64 games had some of the best music in the industry at that time.

Killer Cuts was one of my very first CD's, and it showcased Rare's excellent musical compositions at the time.

After Microsoft bought them, nothing was ever the same. I don't even need to go into detail. Everyone knows that it was an immediate and lasting fall from grace. That's not to say that modern-day Rare makes bad games, but they've never reached the heights of their 90's run with Nintendo.

So, yeah. I'd go back in time and undo that acquisition, just so I could see what games they would've continued to produce if they stuck with Nintendo.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Actually market the Saturn, give it an extra year in the oven

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Given how output from the bigger side of the company hasn't been anywhere near as inspired as it once was, probably Square Enix.

EDIT: Beaten to it, but glad to see it was the first reply.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandai and Namco merger. While I think this was great for getting Namco to acknowledge its games that are more anime in nature. I feel like ever since then, Namco has pretty much ignored most of its original IP other than Tekken, SoulCalibur, Tales, Taiko, and God Eater in favor of releasing a bunch of these mediocre licensed anime games.

Namco has developed numerous IP over the 50 years prior to this merger, and yet right now we only see five of them getting any attention. It was at least nice to see a new Ace Combat this year.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I would prevent development of The Spirits Within so Sakaguchi could keep his job at Square, therefore eliminating the need to merge with Enix.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Konami buying Hudson Soft.

Konami pretty much bought up Hudson's stuff, and then proceeded to largely do shit with any of it. It's bad enough that you're sitting on your own properties and largely left the console business, but did you have to fumigate the poor Hudson Soft bee on your way out?

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
There are so many..
Origin systems might be the one.
Or Spectrum Holobyte fusion with Microprose.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Yeah, Rare immediately came to mind when I read the thread title. They had such an amazing and diverse track record with Nintendo. I'm still upset about the canceled Donkey Kong Racing.

Although I actually love BK: Nuts 'n Bolts.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I knew straight away this thread was about Rare. I would have said Bungie and Activision but at least that's been taken care of now

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I would prevent development of The Spirits Within so Sakaguchi could keep his job at Square, therefore eliminating the need to merge with Enix.
It's been said elsewhere before, but failure of The Spirits Within was not why the merger happened (their finances stabilized after Sony bought a stake in the company and both FFX and KH1 were successes, they just decided to merge anyway). They had been thinking about it even before TSW.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Square's glory days were pre-merger, sure, but they've had some great moments since then as well. That merger is in no way comparable to what happened to Rare.

But those are going to be the two big answers for sure.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard joining Activision
Westwood being bought by EA
infact, EA buying any of the studios they ruined

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PopCap Games at EA. A studio that was spawning multiple incredible casual puzzle ganes per year, ended up being bought by EA for a monstrous money. They stopped releasing many games immediately. They've made two shooters based on one of their biggest hits which were fun but also fell flat come the second installment. They've made mobile sequels or spin-offs of their franchises with disgusting monetization schemes. They've made a half-assed Peggle sequel that had like half the content and options of the previous chapter. And that's it. What made them big, famous, beloved, rich - they've never done such games anymore, and possibly never will. A proper Plants VS Zombies sequel, a new good Zuma, an actual Bejeweled 4, a well-made Peggle 3, a sequel to Insaniquarium, brand new creative IPs... probably never again. There's other studios pushing out somewhat similar games, but none as good as what PopCap did in the last decade. Sadface.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Knew this was going to be Rare. That said they were already hemmoraging talent at the time of their sale. I really don't think their output would have been much different had they stayed with Nintendo.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Just in my heart, psygnosis and fasa. I don't know if they would have made it all this time on their own or being bought by different publishers. At least signosis did good work at Sony for a long time.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
Rare.
What happened between the N64 and GameCube? Did they lose a lot of talent? Technology jump too expensive?

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's so many :( but:

I'd go back in time and prevent LucasArts from effectively shutting down Factor 5

As Julian Eggebrecht has told it, that Wii Rogue Leaders collection was completely finished, but LucasArts didn't want to release it because of the economics scare at the time - and being that Factor 5 pooled all of their remaining resources into completing it, they went under. I'd go back and tell LucasArts to release the fucking game! Chances are it would've made enough money to keep them afloat and keep faith alive that games could still make money, etc.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I wish I could prevent all of the acquisitions EA made in the last 20 years. Westwood, BioWare, Bullfrog, Criterion, so many great series and IPs destroyed. If they had just let them carry on doing what they were good at they probably would have made a lot more money than they did forcing them to do what the suits wanted.