• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
The original author would keep getting the same revenue, so no one would lose anything.

Now you need to consider, get an older well known song but the rights will expire quicker, or a newer song that earns less but you can keep earning for decades?

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
Hey Ya maybe.

A good song for weddings or events would be the way to go if I'm not trying to take the GOAT Mariah Carey.

Happy Birthday if we don't follow the OP rules and I could actually get paid for it.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Before (and after) Covid I'd have picked any of the 'jock jams' that get played at international arenas. Things like "Welcome to the Jungle", "Who Let the Dogs Out", "Seven Nation Army" or "Crazy Train".

For right now... I think I'd go with "Rhapsody in Blue" it's certainly been played in enough commercials to get royalties.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
It's a small world after all. Time to pay through the nose Disney.

Edit: Better yet, make it Let it Go

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Don't Stand So Close to Me"
"My Sharona"

I am counting on the pandemic to bolster a huge upswing in these songs, and parody versions of them.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
How much money is being made in the world of 'song that gets played at sporting events'? Does "Seven Nation Army" bring in the dough?

Still, probably the safe bet to get on the Mariah Christmas train.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Bittersweet Symphony, just to fuck with The Verve because it would be funny.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much I could get for the US national anthem in this hell hole of a country.

Oct 30, 2017
1-Imagine - John Lennon
2-What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
3-Stand by me - Ben E. King

I just cannot drop any of those.

OP
OP
Browser

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
how about an unreleased Beatles song?

Does the counter for public domain start after a song release or recorded?

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The song is now public domain. Congrats on earning nothing.

The premise of the thread is getting the rights to it back. It's only public domain because the copyright claim was ruled invalid. If you could get the rights to Happy Birthday, you would by definition have the rights, and therefore it would be taken out of the public domain.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Does Sony still own the the Beatles catalogue after MJ sold it to them? That'd be my go-to, but if you mean a singular song - White Christmas would likely be it.