• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tempys

Dec 11, 2017
Return of the Obra Dinn, I'd love to play that again, but I remember so many details on how I solved everything.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Man, that a tough one.

Maybe Chrono Trigger. It was the game that got me into JRPGs, and I still fondly remember how it felt to experience that world, those characters, and that soundtrack for the first time.

Runner ups:
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Silent Hill 2
Metal Gear Solid
Uncharted 2
Bloodborne

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild
Replays don't do justice to the sense of exploration and discovery that the first play-through gives you

AshGambit

Sep 4, 2019
Metal Gear Solid 3. Damn near played that through in one sitting and it was glorious.
Or Shenmue. The first time I played that game was magical, don't think I'd ever been so engrossed in a games world until that point. It felt alive.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Pathologic 2.

Uncovering every single layer of that masterpiece was a thing of beauty.

1hukcf.jpg

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex, GTA III, or Morrowind.... probably Morrowind.

These titles released over a two year stretch and completely changed my relationship with videogames, what I valued most and how I processed them. I've never really stopped chasing those highs since. To this day the games that resonate with me the deepest share similar DNA and/or philosophies. Being able to relive any that magic like it was the first time would be everything.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Wow. Great question. Probably the original Bioshock. Absolutely blew my mind. The setting, the story, all absolutely first rate.
Witcher 3 is right up there with it. I remember the Bloody Baron quest and just being in awe of the storytelling.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
That's a really tough one. I'm sure I could talk myself out of it, but it might be Suikoden 3, if only because I had the identity of the Masked Bishop spoiled for me before the game even released in the US. I'm still salty about that.

If it's purely on a "relive the first time again" situation, I'd probably say Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter. Super emotional game for me.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds. I kind of feel like most of the other games I would mention here I have forgotten enough that I could go back and still have close to that initial feeling but with those two they are still fresh that its going to take awhile for me to forget enough. Actually the more I think about it I think Outer Wilds will be the answer, I will likely forget the solution to 95% of the Obra Dinn characters but the ending and discovery of Outer Wilds will likely stick with me for a long time.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Time and place for me is Half-Life 2. It was completely mind blowing to me and CS: Source and Gary's Mod were bonuses.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
I'm not sure. I don't think you can go back to the headspace you were in at the time, but Discworld MUD was absolutely formative for my gaming tastes as a teenager.

Griz

Oct 31, 2017
Lancaster PA
Dragon Quest Monsters on GBC, this game was the tipping point for me that determined most of my interests as an adult (I Think I was 10 when it came out?) It had a greater impact on me than pokemon.

And by interests, of course, I mean japanese games, anime, and my career as an IT manager.

Chrixter

Oct 29, 2017
If my memories of every game I've played since are also erased, then Ocarina of Time. Still the most mind-blowing gaming experience I've ever had.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
Absolutely VN I love such as :
Phoenix Wright series
Steins;Gate

Knowing too much makes it hard to go back.

Runners up Long ass JRPGs I love:

Xenoblade Chronicles
Persona 3
Persona 4

Pure curiousity:
FFX
and the KH series

I wonder how much of my love of them(which remains today even after recent replaying of them) was based on me playing them at the time of their releases. I wonder if I had no recollection of them, if I could fall in love with them again... I think I would, but I wonder.

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Easy: The Witness

That game was like having a series of epiphanies, and figuring it out together was one of the best times my wife and I have ever had. Sure, I'd take a bump on the noggin for a do-over.

ieo

Aug 7, 2019
It used to be Bioshock Infinite, but I changed my mind a couple years later.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Xenogears, FFVII, ME2, AC2, UC2 Or Xenoblade Chronicles... Such a hard decision but if I could choose only one it would be FFVII.

It's the game that got my Tekken and Crash Bandicoot obsessed young teen self into rpgs and a new genre of games, after VII came FFVIII Xenogears Vagrant Story and many more.

Xenoblade Chronicles is a close second I was dying to play an epic long ass rpg and I hadn't played one since Lost Odyssey which wasn't as good as I had hoped, I was also off work post surgery so it gave me something to do for hours and hours.

It restored my love for rpg games and I can't wait to play the remake.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
None.

Since I can't be guaranteed that I would feel the same, playing them for the first time today.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Easy: The Witness

That game was like having a series of epiphanies, and figuring it out together was one of the best times my wife and I have ever had. Sure, I'd take a bump on the noggin for a do-over.

It's definitely The Witness for me. The obvious reason is to resolve the puzzles, but really the lore and meditative/self reflection aspects of the game were extremely important to me and I'd love to discover that again.

Last edited:

Brooklynwolf

Banned
Jan 5, 2020
Ocarina of Time - it was magical.

Resident Evil 4 - I thought games couldn't get better than this....

...and in some ways, some still haven't.

NeoN1

Oct 27, 2017
The last game I had this feel was Death Stranding. It left a voidout in my heart :(