• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
This has been on my mind for a while now. I fantasize of most types of devices being all in 1 devices that combine the best of everything together at once (probably because I am greedy + spoiled + don't want to spend money on multiple devices, but whatever) and videogame machines are no exception.

My dream voltron videogame machine would include:
- Switch hybrid nature
- PS5 DualSense controller
- Steam overlay
- Xbox quality BC + Gamepass
- Sega Dreamcast VMU for extra Tamogotchi play, lol

How about y'all? What is your dream???

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Not quite what you're asking but I'd love a retro-oriented handheld with a modernized CRT display. That way games running at all kinds of arbitrary resolutions would shine and you wouldn't have to deal with uneven scaling or small view windows for 1:1 pixel mapping.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
The handle from the Gamecube!

You know, like Nintendo did with the Switch!

/s

PS5 having dust collectors is pretty rad, hope future consoles do this

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Switch portability--remotely play can be fine for me though.

Xbox-Gamepass. As some one that doesn't collect/replay games, services like this are great. Runner up, a first party elite controller with paddles.

Sony-is software counts, there cinematic, narrative-driven exclusives. If hardware/services only, then the SSD as load times seem quite a bit faster than even my XSX that's already way faster than last gen HDDs. Dualsense features have mostly underwhelmed me so far (especially outside of Astro's Playroom) and I prefer the Xbox layout (and Elite controller with paddles).

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
It would be a PC with all the games, and native Steam Input support.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
The utility of the Gamecube handle with the graphical capabilities of a modern PC, a Steam Storefront, and Xbox Live Achievements.

OP
OP
Blackie

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Clicky stick from NGPC.
R.O.B. from NES.
XBLIG from Xbox 360.
Clicky stick is an awesome idea, I might slap that on my dream DualSense. R.O.B will also go well with my VMU I think ^_^
Not quite what you're asking but I'd love a retro-oriented handheld with a modernized CRT display. That way games running at all kinds of arbitrary resolutions would shine and you wouldn't have to deal with uneven scaling or small view windows for 1:1 pixel mapping.
Sign me up for this.
Sign me up as well!
Gimme dat Saturn d-pad, please.
Plz do. And translate/re-release Shining Force 3 scenario 2 and 3 while we are at it.
The handle from the Gamecube!

You know, like Nintendo did with the Switch!

/s

PS5 having dust collectors is pretty rad, hope future consoles do this
Wtf PS5 has a dust collector? I guess I just assumed most consoles already had such protections but now I am wondering if they don't. Frigging dust...
All of the games on one platform
This is part of my super ultimate mega-deluxe dream but I was afraid to say it out loud :/
Switch portability--remotely play can be fine for me though.

Xbox-Gamepass. As some one that doesn't collect/replay games, services like this are great. Runner up, a first party elite controller with paddles.

Sony-is software counts, there cinematic, narrative-driven exclusives. If hardware/services only, then the SSD as load times seem quite a bit faster than even my XSX that's already way faster than last gen HDDs. Dualsense features have mostly underwhelmed me so far (especially outside of Astro's Playroom) and I prefer the Xbox layout (and Elite controller with paddles).
I fux with this.
It would be a PC with all the games, and native Steam Input support.
Tbh I used to be a Nintendo/PS guy all day all night but lately all I do is play Steam games with a DualSense controller. Steam is wicked useful and impossible to replicate the full feature set elsewhere.
The utility of the Gamecube handle with the graphical capabilities of a modern PC, a Steam Storefront, and Xbox Live Achievements.
Yes!

I am sensing a pattern to these replies. Similar wavelengths. Hopefully some developer/hardware org out there is reading this OR comes to such ideas independently. Add in some VR teach and we might be golden :D

OP
OP
Blackie

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Anyone else with a different vision to share? I wish I was a hardware/software genius to make something like this a reality...

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
Impossible answer.

A PS5 add-on that contains native hardware for the PS1,2 and 3. Connects through USB so it uses the PS5s disc drive and hard drive to keep costs down. Games can be installed directly to the hard disk to save wear-and-tear on discs. Stocked eShop with reasonable prices. Possibly uses PS5 GPU to help with fancy upscaling as per XBox BC and obviously uses DualShock controller. Pro-edition includes a UMD drive and Vita cartridge slot and full compatibility with these systems.

Then Sony licenses the technology to Sega who produces a Saturn/Dreamcast combined version.

Cynical answer.

A Nintendo console with a usable controller as standard.