• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which sequel you want first?

• Team Fortress 3

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Left 4 Dead 3

Votes: 109 17.0%
  • Half Life 3 (or sequel to Alyx)

Votes: 268 41.8%
  • Portal 3

Votes: 143 22.3%
  • Dota 3

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • Counter Strike Global Offensive 2

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • New IP (no more poll slots RIP Artifact 2)

Votes: 51 8.0%

• Total voters

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever it is, I hope it's in VR.
I'm totally on-board now, after playing Half-Life: Alyx.

I'm not sure that I'd be able to handle Portal in VR though, as smooth locomotion in Alyx immediately starts making me feel nauseated, and Portal is all about momentum-based movement.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, Left4Dead 3. The sheer amount of entertainment I've gotten out of the first two playing with friends in enormous, and I'm dying for another round (and have been for a long, long time at this point.

Additionally, Half-Life Alyx essentially is Half-Life 3 to me (and I'd imagine many people at Valve see it in that light as well, they just obviously couldn't call a VR-only game Half-Life 3).

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
We already had TF3, it's called Overwatch.

I want and need a sequel to Half-Life Alyx in VR

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A new VR game, whether Alyx 2 or HL3 or something entirely different.

Alyx blew me away. While I might find a Left 4 Dead 3 fun, there's also many games like it, which isn't really the same for VR games like Alyx.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Left 4 Dead 3 or Team Fortress 3. Don't care much about their other games. Something new may also be nice.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
Technically isn't Artifact 2 one of the things that they are currently working on?

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have spent more time into left 4 dead 1 and 2 than I have in any other valve IP. Single players are nice and all but are brief experiences. I think valve has what it takes to take the Left 4 dead IP and turn it into a multiplayer experience that feels more like a single player/co-op experience that change every time you play. the way they did Left 4 dead already touched the tip of that iceberg, I just want to see more of the possibility exposed.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Probably another VR Half Life game. Alyx is amazing and would love to see them expand on it.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Portal 3.

I'm not particularly attached to Half Life, and Alyx provided almost no story progression outside of like a 5 minute scene. I'd be much more excited for a new portal. And while I don't think Portal would work too well in VR, if their next game isn't VR it'll probably be a let down considering just how good of an experience Alyx was.

OP
OP
ApeEscaper

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Wow at that Half Life vote difference didn't expect that
Guess i should try finally playing the Half Lifes but last time i tried playing Half Life 2 i got motion sickness, maybe i'll just watch a playthrough on youtube instead

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
A new Portal, Half-Life or Left 4 Dead would all be great. My preference probably goes to Portal or L4D though.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Dota 2 and Team Fortress 2 should just get UHD textures and like, a ray tracing update or something. Outside of that they both have plenty of life left in them as is.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After Alyx I just want more VR stuff from them. I don't care what IP it's attached to, but they have a very good framework for a shooter in Alyx. My favorite VR experience by far (except maybe Beat Saber with custom songs, but that's hard to compare).

BlueBrand

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like a new IP set in the Half-life universe, similar to portal, that builds upon the VR foundation they laid with Alyx.

It's such a fantastic game.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New IP. As much as I like their FPSs, it's when they do something completely different that it attracts me more

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
After all these raytacing threads talking about how there's no real gameplay impact, I think valve could do since really interesting stuff with raytaced lights, shadows, and reflections. Especially caustics, that one prism tech demo was really impressive, and something you can't really do with traditional lighting

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Team Fortress is in the worst state of all their franchises, so I'm going with that. CS:GO and L4D2 just need graphical revamps and VR support.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
After all these raytacing threads talking about how there's no real gameplay impact, I think valve could do since really interesting stuff with raytaced lights, shadows, and reflections. Especially caustics, that one prism tech demo was really impressive, and something you can't really do with traditional lighting
Unfortunately, Valve favors Vulkan really hard over DX12 and I believe that pretty much every RT implementation to date uses the latter.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't quake 2 use vulkan rt? That's like one of the landmark demos
Hmm maybe, I was only really thinking of AAA games when I posted that. The original RT version of Quake 2 came out way before the official paid one with RTX support, so it's possible the hardware acceleration was implemented by hand before there was official support for it at the driver level.

fetus8

May 21, 2018
Colorado
Whatever it is, I hope it's in VR.
I'm totally on-board now, after playing Half-Life: Alyx.

I'm not sure that I'd be able to handle Portal in VR though, as smooth locomotion in Alyx immediately starts making me feel nauseated, and Portal is all about momentum-based movement.

While I'd love another Portal, and playing HL: Alyx was an incredible experience, I don't know if Portal will ever see a VR game due to the in-game movement.

I played HL: Alyx in rather long sessions and never got sick, but I tried Lone Echo and felt nauseous immediately. Valve would be the company to solve that problem though.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
While I'd love another Portal, and playing HL: Alyx was an incredible experience, I don't know if Portal will ever see a VR game due to the in-game movement.

I played HL: Alyx in rather long sessions and never got sick, but I tried Lone Echo and felt nauseous immediately. Valve would be the company to solve that problem though.
That sounds similar to me. I have been able to play hours of VR with room-scale movement or teleportation with no issues at all from day one, but as soon as I play anything with smooth locomotion I start to feel very motion sick.
I was disappointed to find that out, as I heard that Saints & Sinners was one of the better VR games and an immersive sim, but it doesn't have a teleportation option. In fact many of the games I was hoping to play in VR are like that - particularly modded games.