• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 15, 2018
Denmark
If you could choose any instant messaging technology for your family and friends, and they would magically and instantly follow your recommendation and switch to your choice, which one would you choose?
The only limitations in this scenario would be:
1. That it would have to work on multiple platforms - so no exlusives like imessage or mobile-only like Snapchat
2. That you could log-in from any device and see all of your message history without limitations - unlike for example Signal.
(ed.)
3. Messages should be encrypted in a manner that respects the privacy of the users
4. Avoid the worst offenders of surveillance capitalism (for example Facebook) (how could I forget this one? sorry.)

Last edited:

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I would say FB Messenger for its features, but I don't trust FB with my data.

So, LINE.

Edit: though LINE accounts are locked to one mobile device (but multiple tablets/PCs).

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All my friends and family already use only one messenger and that's WhatsApp.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Messenger is great because it works with practically everything. But it's FB.

So I'd go with Whatsapp. But it unfortunately only really works on mobile phones. (And also... Facebook)

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Steam chat. And actually I've convinced few people who didn't have Steam before to use it to reach me, they haven't bought any games. It's just to chat with me while I'm at home and on PC, or out with my phone. I'd be pissed if I had to have longer conversations on phone at home (calling excluded). Steam has been my primary mean for keeping in touch with friends for some time now, I don't use facebook, twitter, instagram, whatsapp and the sort at all.

I'd also appreciate folks coming back to IRC, it's been lonely in there.

Last edited:

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
MSN/Windows Live Messenger. Custom 32x32 emotes, handwriting/drawing, voice calls, etc. It had it all. Used it for like, close to 10 years.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Everyone here uses Line. Its fine, but I have tons of chat rooms open that all look similar, and a bunch of trash companies pinging me in other random ones. I pretty frequently write in the wrong room.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Considering i don't use Facebook services, i like to have as few redundant apps as possible and cannot choose the Apple exclusive iMessage i am going to say Line.
Stickers yo.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Whatsapp it's fully encrypted unfortunately it's now owned by Facebook. But I'd probably choose that.

Nov 8, 2017
Facebook Messenger is pretty much identical to WhatsApp except for not being tied to a SIM card, which makes it much more usable on PC's and other devices, so that's the obvious choice.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
WhatsApp.

But really, if I could I would bring back the original MSN Messenger, to the status it was before it was replaced by Skype. MSN was and still is the best IM ever made and I don't know why they replaced it with Skype, which is so shit in comparison even now.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
If you could choose any instant messaging technology for your family and friends, and they would magically and instantly follow your recommendation and switch to your choice, which one would you choose?
The only limitations in this scenario would be:
1. That it would have to work on multiple platforms - so no exlusives like imessage or mobile-only like Snapchat
2. That you could log-in from any device and see all of your message history without limitations - unlike for example Signal.
(ed.)
3. Messages should be encrypted in a manner that respects the privacy of the users
4. Avoid the worst offenders of surveillance capitalism (for example Facebook) (how could I forget this one? sorry.)
Does any service actually meet all four criteria

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LINE

72d5d673c05bc7428f1a720c770aa8a9.gif

johan

Oct 29, 2017
I was big into Adium for a while there when MSN Messenger was still a thing

Now I would probably choose Telegram. Everybody uses Whatsapp here though, which isn't too bad. Just wish the desktop app was better

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I'd use Telegram for everything if everyone used Telegram.

But they don't, so WhatsApp it is.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Telegram. All my friends use it. My GF and family are sticking to Facebook Messenger though.

Deleted member 14663

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FB Messenger and Whatsapp will merge at one point anyway, or at least you will be able to send messages between the platforms.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
If it was still around, I would probably vote for Allo. That was a great platform.

Since it's not, I vote Telegram. Got most of my social circle to switch early this year and it's pretty great. Also ticks all the boxes in the OP. Anything owned by Facebook is a non-starter.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
I have a bit of an issue with the premise of this thread in general (not in a complaint way, its a fine question) because that's not really my ideal way for using instant messenger.
Right now I have one IM that i use almost exclusively for my partner, and a couple other close friends and then I use FB/Whatsapp for friends and family, and Skype for work. That keeps them on different levels of intrusiveness, I would definitely not want to unify them, even if I could manage my availability through mute/block/ignore/afk/multiaccount features thats still gonna be way higher maintenance than what I have going on now.

Also people nostalgic for ICQ, do you not remember how much spam you'd get on there because the usernames were all numbers so people could just cold-call random users??

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Telegram is 100% the best for features, multi-device usage, and encryption. No other messaging app I've used comes close.