• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you leak an unannounced game?

• I like taking a leak on devs & their blood, sweat, & tears so I can have 2 mins of internet fame

Votes: 221 35.6%
  • Only if it's a dev/game I have a deep seated hatred for that burns stronger than 1000 suns

Votes: 29 4.7%
  • I make decisions based on emotions so it depends on my mood that day.

Votes: 81 13.1%
  • I'm nice and would never publicly disseminate someone else's hard work w/out permission :)

Votes: 289 46.6%

• Total voters

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Leaking rumours a few days before the official announcement sucks.
I'm so glad I went offline before E3 this year. It made me enjoy it so much more.
Plus, there's always a possibility that your sources are misinformed and you end up getting the backlash from angry fans.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
i'd leak it in a heartbeat, and milk it longer by only dripping scraps.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say no, but then I read the poll options and changed my mind.

Spoilerphobia pretending to be concern for devs' well-being is not a good look, OP.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I can't imagine how I'd ever be in the situation to leak anything, but like if the next new Pokemon game mysteriously fell into my lap, I'd leak every last detail of that sucker.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I would just to spite these stupid options.

+ I'll take my few minutes of internet fame cos leaks are just as hype as actual reveals.

Is this thread spoiler culture gone mad? Yup definitely.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
The poll was my attempt at humor and being facetious but I failed. FAIIILED!!!!

tenor.gif

I didn't realize poll options were taken so seriouly around here.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I would drop little clues in all my non-gaming related posts and hope someone would piece together the puzzle, and then keep the info (reward) to themselves.

;)

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about it. I wouldn't want to risk current or future jobs. Not worth it.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm not under nda, so yes I don't see why not. If anything it generates more talk about said product.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
You'd be screwing over the dev, pissing off people that hate to be spoiled, most likely breaking the law. All to get some internet fame, which is completely worthless. No way.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I come across unannounced stuff often. I work in a field with other artists and creators. I don't leak it because the people who show it to me, I don't want to get them into trouble.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Naw, I don't care about internet fame.
Not to mention some people get yelled at or even threatened to lose their job because of leaks, even if they weren't the ones leaking stuff.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
only if people wanted to see it, otherwise I wouldn't care or bother my time with it

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Used to do cryptic hints about unannounced games before E3 each year, but any more I prefer to avoid any advance knowledge even if it's available because watching and reacting to reveals alongside everyone else is a lot more fun.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
It's really hard. Depends on what kind of info do I know, the relationship with the devs, like, why would I even come across unreleased info? Because I have a connection to someone? Because I stole it? Because they sent it to me by accident?

If they sent it to me, I'd most likely believe they've sent it to everyone else, so I'd probably leak it unaware that I was leaking secret info. But it depends on the game. If it's a game I don't care about, surely I wouldn't even bother to tell anyone about it. But if it's a Pokémon game, for example, it would be very hard for me to keep quiet, but I'd try to wait until someone else reveals it. Maybe if I see near the release date that no one has talked about it, I'd share it. Or maybe I'd disguise it through a random post on 4chan or something.

If I don't have a close connection to any of the devs, I'd probably talk about it in some forum, just like, "hey I heard this and that, but take it with a grain of salt" and just wait for it to be proved true or false. But I don't think I'd leak like, images or footage, like if I had the actual game. But if I have a blurry image, I'd probably do it :P

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd tell my friends.

But honestly who cares about how a video game is announced. Serious harm isn't being done here.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I'd probably leak it in the sense of showing it to my friends, but I probably wouldn't post it on the forums.

This def a honeypot thread btw lmao

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I come across unannounced video game content all the time, and I wouldn't be fired, because i hear about stuff that other companies are doing, and I still wouldn't leak it, because I'm not a cock.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I knew Age Of Empires IV was being made over a year before it was announced and I never told anyone.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Of course not. I think it's an a-hole move to leak stuff. And we've already heard from folks in the games industry what kind of damage leaking can do sometimes.

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
The only time I've come close to having unannounced info was a week or so before E3 2011 I got an email from SEGA advertising the new Sonic Generations City Escape trailer. There was no link it was just a subject, but I remember being so stoked and telling my friends who were just kinda like "well yeah, what other level were they gonna pick?"

Closest I've felt to being an insider, but I think now I'd probably just keep it to myself. Even if we like to "stick it" to the big companies, a lot of the employees work on the surprise, and sure it's just marketing, but it gives them and us a lot of happiness, so what kind of asshole would I be to take that away from them to feel cool on resetera and reddit for a few minutes?

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I mean if I was in the media or industry I wouldn't but as a fan if I learned something cool like that, probably would leak it. Why not?

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
No. I'm not a dick. Doing so would be backstabbing the developers, & possibly costing them their jobs, among other bad things.

Besides, it would be more fun to keep people in suspense. Keep them guessing about what the content of a certain game is going to be having.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If I had unannounced information, and it was exciting enough to share, I would make a post on one internet forum as a fan pretending to speak about his hopes and dreams and watch if anybody notices after the announcement.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not. I guess it depends how I came across it. If I were being a nosy asshole and peeping at some dude's laptop in the subway or something and saw something about Tomb Raider, I'd probably keep it to myself and tell myself to stop being an asshole and looking over people's shoulders I don't know.

I can't really think of a case where I would "tell it on the mountain" (that is what the kids say nowadays, right?), but I still voted the first option because fuck those loaded-ass poll options.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
If I thought it was exciting stuff, I'd probably post something like "What if Gabe announced Half Life 3 tomorrow at 2pm eastern time?"

Oct 25, 2017
I would absolutely never go online and drop details about an unnannounced gaming related thing. I would however talk about amongst my close friends. Don't get why people seek attention like that.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ive leaked everything I've ever been privacy to. It's all bullshit artificial hype that doesn't impact anything anyway

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
As someone who works in marketing, leaks suck. As fun and exciting as they might be, they suck and they're horrible for business

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I'd probably post a small amount of specific info in some speculation thread. Once people have a reason to believe you, you're just messing things up. But the first time, people would only notice in hindsight.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Only if I was part of a community and knew that the marketing people were doing a shit job of keeping the community engaged. And even then, I'd pull back if I knew or could assume the announcement was about to occur within days. I've seen communities get very depressed about the future of their favorite games because months go by without any communication, despite there being stuff in the works.