• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how they could revamp FF6 or CT in a way that I'd like, perhaps because of the charm of the original artstyle. It's a lot harder to change that in a positive way compared up modeling from the blockiness that was FF7.

Soooo yeah Vagrant Story or Xenogears would be my choice too. Or maybe they could make Chrono Cross into a good game ;)

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Brave Fencer Musashi, Chrono Cross with a fully voiced cast would be amazing. The things they would be able to do with it would be insane.

I would have said SMRPG, but it's actually aged extremely well and I don't think it needs a remake, just an update to give it widescreen support is enough, especially considering the thought of a fully voiced Mario doesn't seem to sit well for me....

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
ffviii.jpg

I'm boring (it's literally the game in my avatar), but I think FF VIII would benefit the most. Hell, many of the design choices in VII Remake would suit VIII as it is, especially with regards to combat. To the point my post will seem derivative.

The OG is flawed (still one of my favourites ever by far), so a remake could potentially solve some of the narrative and gameplay problems. There are also a few some plotlines and characters that I think could be further expanded. Hell, some of the "subversive" stuff FF VII Remake did would fit this game really well thematically.

Its world is my favourite in the series, both aesthetically and lore-wise. VIII's towns are the best in the series imo (beyond specific stand-outs like Midgar, Junon, LINDBLUM...) in that there's a good amount of them and none feel out of place or boring. They all have a contemporary cozy feeling that would look amazing with modern technology (and, beyond Esthar and Deling City, all of them seem to be small enough):
473752-guia-final-fantasy-viii.png
WFAUaFD.jpeg
Final-Fantasy-VIII-HD.png
latest

latest
latest

When it comes to the character design, they already fit the realistically proportioned "anime" look FF VII Remake goes for (look at the CG models, especially). Which is one of the thousand reasons why Dissidia/Remaster Squall is so fucking awful. It'd be damn easy to make this cast look faithful and feel right at home with a similar aesthetic to VII Remake or, really, the latest FFs:
b7%2Fe8%2F42%2Fb7e842d5a8fae3a6b19d73fa8a7d4087.bin

Gameplay-wise, there's a lot you could do with an update of the GF/drawing system and, regarding combat itself, the characters would already fit a VII Remake-like combat system (imagine having to time Squall's trigger presses while he attacks à la Nero). And, of course, imagine giving this game's OST the same treatment.

I'm a hypocrite, since I always want either new games or new IPs, but I'm sad that this will most likely never happen. It wouldn't be an endeavour as big as VII Remake (as VIII is considerably less popular), but it'd still require a huge budget, timeframe and, ideally, more than one game, so yeah.

With regards to Parasite Eve, Soul Reaver... I'd like new entries, but I don't have any trust in them making justice to the series. And yeah, a Xenogears remake would be glorious, but I don't have any confidence in that front either.
Great post. Gotta say FFVIII.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it elsewhere before, but FF7Rs combat system is nearly identical to Parasite Eve's on the PSX. Moving around on real time, pause menu for skills, and all.

Please use the FF7R engine and remake Parasite Eve, square.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story would both be good picks. They're also digestible enough for a single game each, and with games like Resident Evil 2 Remake and the Souls series, you can already vision the kind of neat things they can do to modernize/change up the gameplay.

Xenogears would be sick too, but thats mega beefy.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go with the boring answer and say FFVIII. It's my favorite Final Fantasy, and I would love to try a more modern version of the game with some new story twists, as it would be the perfect excuse for me to go back to it. It might also be more enjoyable for people who didn't like the junction system in the original.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
For the quirky title : TOBAL 2 - remade with Dragon Quest 11 Art style, and some QOL improvements to the dungeons.
I had a great time with it on PS1, but playing in japanese in a time of limited internet access was very hard and I missed plenty of stuff.

Also I'd love a DQ IX remake (on switch preferably), and hopefully it's coming from the hints a livestream gave a few months ago.

For the record, I would want those remakes without massives changes, and to be as true as possible to the original game unlike what they did to FFVII.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFVIII is the game that actually needs it. The game was ambitious but it's lacking in a lot of areas despite how much I enjoy it. The cast being fleshed out / developed more + having an accurate characterization of Squall that's not butchered because of bad translations would make it worth it alone for me. My second choice would be FFVI spilt into two games.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
One more vote for Xenogears. It's still one of my top favourite games, if done right a remake could very possibly be number 1.

However it's unlikely to ever happen, and if it did, I'm not sure I trust they would do an adequate job of it.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
People arguing that jrpgs with great combat should get the very bad combat from the FFVII remake make me very sad.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Semi-ironically The Bouncer...
Final Fantasy XI wouod be a dream remake for me. For offline FF games my vote would be FF IX.

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many games I would love to see them do.

Parasite Eve is one game that would be awesome. So long as they don't involve anyone from the Third Birthday in remaking it.

Vagrant Saga, Chrono Trigger, FF4, Legacy of Kain could be great too.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
If I could pick any NON-Square game, I'd pick the first two Golden Sun games. They're probably my favorite JRPGs ever, and it's already split into two parts so no need to break it into multiple releases more than the original games.
The rest of Final Fantasy VII.
That was honestly my answer, haha.

Haven't even played the first part yet since I know it'll probably take close to a decade to finish the rest of the game, and I'm sure there'll be an enhanced edition of the first part by the time the rest of the FFVIIR series is out (or at least a PC port).
Fingers crossed that they finish it before the next console generation.