• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
ffviii.jpg

I'm boring (it's literally the game in my avatar), but I think FF VIII would benefit the most. Hell, many of the design choices in VII Remake would suit VIII as it is, especially with regards to combat. To the point my post will seem derivative.

The OG is flawed (still one of my favourites ever by far), so a remake could potentially solve some of the narrative and gameplay problems. There are also a few some plotlines and characters that I think could be further expanded. Hell, some of the "subversive" stuff FF VII Remake did would fit this game really well thematically.

Its world is my favourite in the series, both aesthetically and lore-wise. VIII's towns are the best in the series imo (beyond specific stand-outs like Midgar, Junon, LINDBLUM...) in that there's a good amount of them and none feel out of place or boring. They all have a contemporary cozy feeling that would look amazing with modern technology (and, beyond Esthar and Deling City, all of them seem to be small enough):
473752-guia-final-fantasy-viii.png
WFAUaFD.jpeg
Final-Fantasy-VIII-HD.png
latest

latest
latest

When it comes to the character design, they already fit the realistically proportioned "anime" look FF VII Remake goes for (look at the CG models, especially). Which is one of the thousand reasons why Dissidia/Remaster Squall is so fucking awful. It'd be damn easy to make this cast look faithful and feel right at home with a similar aesthetic to VII Remake or, really, the latest FFs:
b7%2Fe8%2F42%2Fb7e842d5a8fae3a6b19d73fa8a7d4087.bin

Gameplay-wise, there's a lot you could do with an update of the GF/drawing system and, regarding combat itself, the characters would already fit a VII Remake-like combat system (imagine having to time Squall's trigger presses while he attacks à la Nero). And, of course, imagine giving this game's OST the same treatment.

I'm a hypocrite, since I always want either new games or new IPs, but I'm sad that this will most likely never happen. It wouldn't be an endeavour as big as VII Remake (as VIII is considerably less popular), but it'd still require a huge budget, timeframe and, ideally, more than one game, so yeah.

With regards to Parasite Eve, Soul Reaver... I'd like new entries, but I don't have any trust in them making justice to the series. And yeah, a Xenogears remake would be glorious, but I don't have any confidence in that front either.

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
Agree with FFVIII. I think the episodic approach taken with VIIR could really help address some of the criticisms of the original, fix plot holes, better develop side-characters, etc (though my preference remains on having one game as opposed to episodes, assuming the above gets addressed). I can't imagine SE will want to invest the money though, at least not until VIIR is over and done with.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like the sprite-based games aged well enough not to need it nearly as much as early 3D games.

So of course that means Xenogears. Then Super Mario RPG. Then Parasite Eve.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The Bouncer. It was a supposed to be a high production values, AAA action game, might as well make it the best possible version of itself instead of just giving us a version of another FF game I'd probably like less.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
If FFVII Remake Treatment means giving a remake the budget and time it needs, than I'm interested in seeing old Enix titles getting another go. EVO: Search For Eden for instance is a game would would work considerably better with modern technology, which can mix and match parts more seamlessly, and can use procedural animation. You could really flesh out the character evolution aspect. Valkyrie Profile getting a redo would be cool, and I'm always down for anything Quintet. Robotrek would benefit from modern tech in the same way as EVO would.

If FFVII Remake Treatment means cutting it into pieces, injecting Kingdom Hearts-y meta-narratives, oddly cartoony animations on realistic models, and making it needlessly horny, then nah. I'm good then. I'd rather they would just use that money to do ten Trials of Mana Remake Treatments instead.

Jun 1, 2019
Agree with FFVIII. I think the episodic approach taken with VIIR could really help address some of the criticisms of the original, fix plot holes, better develop side-characters, etc (though my preference remains on having one game as opposed to episodes, assuming the above gets addressed). I can't imagine SE will want to invest the money though, at least not until VIIR is over and done with.
I actually agree with everybody saying 8 and it's far from my favorite Final Fantasy, it just stands to get the biggest quality boost from being remade.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
FFT/A/A2
Just to see Ivalive looking lush and sharing during tactical combat.

Parasite Eve
Mainly for the music. And there haven't been many, if any, good, horror + RPG's

Legend of Legaia
I know they had nothing to do with it, but I wish they bought the rights and remade it anyway smh.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
And by treatment I don't mean the game will be made in the same way as FFVII Remake, but just a complete, full scale production remake that would be committed to the new version, and they will spare no expense.
In that case, the answer's definitely Xenogears. Imagine that game with a proper conclusion instead of the original's infamous Disc 2...

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Treasure of the Rudras. High budget, but still turn-based, party-based and the spell system is still intact.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I want Chrono Trigger remade in the DBFZ art style, with voice acting (but not for Crono).

I would gladly accept Vagrant Story, though.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Chrono Trigger would be my pick but it'd be entirely unnecessary. It's a shorter RPG so hopefully they wouldn't have to break it into a bunch of installments

Laguna

Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
If you mean to be episodic (with a lot of filling and boring stuff) I think I wouldn't choose any game. Im very fan of the og FFVII, but I didn't like at all the remake. If we speak about production values, this will go to FFVIII (for letting them finish the game, second part of the game feels rushed) or Xenogears.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
A bunch but I wouldn't want Square to handle any of them in-house.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
8 or 13.

8's been expanded on by others but I feel 13 definitely could borrow the same reasoning.

It's atrocious that so much of the character and world building was buried in those damned data logs. The world could be so much more fleshed out if wasn't for the endless corridor setup as well.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
None. I don't like what they did with FF7
I'm specially opposed to doing the same thing to games like Deus Ex and Soul Reaver. Are y'all freaking drunk??