• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Except it isn't. It was mentioned a lot in Rebels as well because Sabine, one of the protagonists, created a super weapon that specifically targeted beskar and basically melted anyone wearing it. It showed up several times in The Clone Wars too and, in fact, I believe Ahsoka Tano was even given some beskar armour in the final season of The Clone Wars. I'd assume she's still wearing it.
And Beskar has been in the old EU. It's also known as Mandalorian Iron. So nothing new here lol

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
I'm not even sure I'm an actual Star Wars fan anymore because I've liked everything that's come out to varying degrees except for TROS.

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have no idea who these cartoon characters are and i'm having a good time. 40 minutes a week i get to watch space cowboy protect his alien child and i forget about my problems.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
At this rate we are a couple seasons away of introducing Beilert Valance,i am gonna pop like crazy like i popped for Ahsoka but deep-down it feels wrong,like they are pandering to me for the wrong reasons.
It helps to think about what this stuff means to the creatives making the decisions. Like, how do you think it felt for Dave to introduce a character he created over 12 years ago to a metric fuckton of new people in a completely different format with a different actress in a different show.

OP
OP
greengr

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
It helps to think about what this stuff means to the creatives making the decisions. Like, how do you think it felt for Dave to introduce a character he created over 12 years ago to a metric fuckton of new people in a completely different format with a different actress in a different show.
i know my posts read like i shittin on the show but they really arent,as a fan i am invested to the universe,like if Ahsoka decapitated Mando and took the Child i would be glad lol

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The haters are so utterly wrong. Mando has always been fanservice done right, in the sense that if you have no idea what the reference is, it doesn't impact anything. It's just Mando meeting another character. You don't need to have any idea what Bo-Katan or Ahsoka's significance is in the larger Star Wars lore to understand the story or who they are in the show. Most of my non-fan friends had no idea they were even meant to be existing characters and that's intentional.

Honestly the negative reactions to this season are bizarre. Being annoyed because you recognize something is an extremely weird take, and not actual useful criticism. If you really don't think Favreau and Filoni of all people are going somewhere with all this, I don't know what to tell you.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
The show completely lacks tension. It looks cool and all, but I'm always certain each mission will succeed with no loss. Ahsoka would have trashed that city blindfolded even if Mando wasn't there.

and a shit load of civilians would have died because Ahsoka is only one person and it still took her a long-ass time to beat the leader even despite being an insanely talented force user, which was the entire point of how this only works with Mando's help and she knew he was right

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Having collected my thoughts after this weeks episode,the show feels like some very capable,talented,professional people providing the Star Wars fans exactly what they want to see but it feels like pure fan-service and its hampering the show(especially the 2nd season) which has no direction at this point.I have praised Feloni on this forum and you can see its influence everywhere in a good way but each episode at this point feels literally a back-door pilot for a new Star Wars series,the protagonist just reacts to things around him.I fully expect in later seasons we are gonna get a young Mark Hamill Skywalker from ROTS fighting alongside Ahsoka against Thrawn.

Yes, yes and yes. I really love what they did towards the end of last season regarding plot and character. Now I'm just waiting for it to resume.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Speaking as someone who has never watched Clone Wars or Rebels or read any of the old EU Thrawn books (or new Thrawn stuff, for that matter), I am still loving The Mandalorian.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Mandalorian is just good chill relaxing comfort food.

I gotta read some craziness here about it being the best SW thing ever and the next day it's fanservice desperate garbage. I just want to chill and watch some Boba Fett lookin dude get into fun hijinks every week dammit. I'll replay KOTOR 2 when I want some gourmet food.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The haters are so utterly wrong. Mando has always been fanservice done right, in the sense that if you have no idea what the reference is, it doesn't impact anything. It's just Mando meeting another character. You don't need to have any idea what Bo-Katan or Ahsoka's significance is in the larger Star Wars lore to understand the story or who they are in the show. Most of my non-fan friends had no idea they were even meant to be existing characters and that's intentional.

Honestly the negative reactions to this season are bizarre. Being annoyed because you recognize something is an extremely weird take, and not actual useful criticism. If you really don't think Favreau and Filoni of all people are going somewhere with all this, I don't know what to tell you.
^^^
im literally reading this thread through muffled sceams

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
So many Star Wars "fans" here who are unhappy there is too much Star Wars in their Star Wars media. For many of you, hopefully High Republic will scratch that itch — I am doubtful — but for those of us who have seen every Star Wars movie/show/videogame since the beginning and read all of the EU (now Legends), Mandalorian's melding of the old and the new is perfect in my opinion.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
dont get me started at Mando blocking two lightsabers with his beskar armor

OP:
ENpDIGzWwAE4hNE.jpg

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
So many Star Wars "fans" here who are unhappy there is too much Star Wars in their Star Wars media. For many of you, hopefully High Republic will scratch that itch — I am doubtful — but for those of us who have seen every Star Wars movie/show/videogame since the beginning and read all of the EU (now Legends), Mandalorian's melding of the old and the new is perfect in my opinion.
That's how I feel, just couldn't articulate my feels for the show in word form.

Oct 28, 2017
California
How is it fan service if the characters exist in the same time period and universe and there's a reason for them to meet?

"Fan service" is becoming the new "plot holes" level of criticism.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Honest question, do most Star Wars fans even like Star Wars lol?

I feel like for so many Star Wars fandom is more about how much you hate almost everything about the franchise as opposed to enjoying it?

I mean I get not liking a thing or feeling it was ruined by X, Y, or Z, but why the fuck are people continuing to consume it and hate-watch it if you literally enjoy little to nothing about it lol?

Like if I felt this way about Mando I would just stop watching it. Same with any show(for instance the Walking Dead, when by mid season 2 it was clear the show had no clue how to adapt and develop stories well or write characters).

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% convinced that there are certain groups of Star Wars fans that are impossible to please because they find enjoyment out of Star Wars by actively disliking Star Wars.

Like for some reason people have convinced themselves that at some point Star Wars was the pinnacle of story telling achieving greatness that not even the likes of Iliad could.

Oct 25, 2017
"What if Zack Snyder was a guest director on The Mandolorian?" will be a thread on this forum on day and that day we will end humanity's reliance on fossil fuels forever due to the sheer volume of combustible energy that's discovered.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad that Era is in the minority, and essentially out of touch, with a lot of negative complaints on things.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame, season 1 was successful on its own and proved they can create something disconnected from older concepts. Season 2 feels like a desperation act, putting in a bunch of fanservice connections that'd usually be at place in a series trying to grap at waning interest.
It was going to be connected the second it got into Mandalorian stuff because that was a major focus of both Clone Wars and Rebels.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017

Until they see or read about Yoda and flip out.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
And there's a non-zero possibility that Cal Kestis is going to be the one to come get Baby Yoda, and the fanservice circle will be complete.
Nah what they need to do is have Merrin take the child and raise it like a night sister. Baby Yoda with magic plus the force for follow up game in the Jedi Fallen Order series.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
"Go to the Dagobah system, there you will find Yoda, the master I learned from, he will help you"

BRILLIANT MEANINGFUL WRITING

"Go to Corvus, find Ahsoka Tano, tell her I sent you, she will help you"

FANSERVICE TRASH, THINK OF THE CHILDREN, KIDS ARE GOING TO BE SO CONFUSED, LIKE WHO IS THAT PERSON ANYWAY?

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
and a shit load of civilians would have died because Ahsoka is only one person and it still took her a long-ass time to beat the leader even despite being an insanely talented force user, which was the entire point of how this only works with Mando's help and she knew he was right

Some randoms would die and it's her duty to save them, but it's not a personal risk.
She's also portraid so OP that it's not hard to imagine she'd figure something out on her own.

Then there was also never any doubt Mando wouldn't take the deal to hunt the jedi. They could have twisted it around. Don't establish Ahsoka at the start. Mando comes to the city, is told about an enemy he needs to kill. He takes the deal, finds out the enemy is the jedi he is looking for. There you have a conundrum, respect his code of honor or help Ahsoka. Maybe then we could get some character growth and lines like "A Mandalorian and a Jedi" would hit more.

That's only one example though, several episodes are like this. I like the show though, it's just an area that is lacking.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Fanservice isn't an inherently bad thing. And it's been handled well enough in the show imo.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
This show is as good as Star Wars can be.

Far as I am concerned it's the absolute best version of this universe.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
To be honest, Star Wars has always had this problem, even side stories tend to give in and have a connection to the larger narrative and plot eventually, everything is always connected. I don't think this is particularly a bad thing though, as Star Wars as a whole is about family, destiny, and fighting against the cycle of past trauma.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
The Mandalorian is the best Star Wars related thing to come out in a very long time, especially compared to the mediocre attempt that was the sequel trilogy. It's a blessing to get such a high budget sci fi show. I also don't see why people are complaining this show is directionless as Mando has a clear short term task that he needs to carry out and each episode gets him closer to it while revealing really cool things from the lore.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, I disagree.

Season 2 is about as "deep" as season 1, and has about as much plot as season 1. The difference is now, there's familiarity to things and characters and yes - familiar characters are coming back into the fold.

Keep in mind, characters like Bo Katan and Ahsoka have had a lot to do with Mandalore's history, so basing the series off of a Mando and a force sensitive was going to naturally go in that direction.

I also think the most recent episode was basically a perfect Mando episode. He arrives somewhere, has to make a choice, and ends up intervening with a local problem and then bounces. It's still very spaghetti western and maintains that level of style over substance sometimes, and I like it for that.

I think this season is as good as the first, and hasn't lost the plot as far as Mando wanting to protect/deliver the child. It's just the fact that familiar characters are coming back is bothering people.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This weeks episode doesnt even set up that Ahsoka is not a proper Jedi,come on
You're basically disagreeing with yourself here. You say the show is losing something by offering empty fan service, when in reality the episode/series doesn't need to concern itself with Ahsoka's Jedi status - we only need her to advance the plot in relation to the child etc.

It was pretty much done perfectly, especially considering you didn't need to know anything about her to get the same intention out of the story - everything was told that needed to be and her portrayal was done super well.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
"Go to the Dagobah system, there you will find Yoda, the master I learned from, he will help you"

BRILLIANT MEANINGFUL WRITING

"Go to Corvus, find Ahsoka Tano, tell her I sent you, she will help you"

FANSERVICE TRASH, THINK OF THE CHILDREN, KIDS ARE GOING TO BE SO CONFUSED, LIKE WHO IS THAT PERSON ANYWAY?
Okay, so I'm not gonna defend this because I mostly agree that this is petty complaint of dumb exposition but the key difference is this is Obiwan, whose deal we know because at the time he was only in one other movie which virtually all the audience has already seen, vs Bo Katan, who mainly the hardcore fans know. For example, I haven't seen clone wars, so I didn't know her deal of what being a deathwatch means or how I'm supposed to feel about her. As far as the Mandalorian informed me, she's a mandalorian like Mando, but slightly different and she just gave him this info as a reward for the sidequest that they were just on, which has no real implications for Mando besides getting that info.

There's no getting around the fact that Mandalorian is really leaning heavily on the part of the audience that watched Clone Wars and Rebels, while ESB only leaned on the audience that saw A New Hope, which was, again, basically everyone who was watching ESB.

Also, it's worth noting the placement of these two lines in each respective narrative. Obiwan says this at the start of the movie. Mandalorian drops this line at the end of the fourth episode of the second season to close it out and will only answer it in the next episode after that. ESB uses it as a jumping point to propel the story of the movie, Mando uses it to conclude it's episodic story of a show.

Look, of all the shit Mandolorian does that isn't impressing me, this is extremely minor and people are making too big a deal out of it. If nothing else, if you're watching a Star Wars spin off TV show in the year of our Yoda 2020, and you're a season and half through it, maybe it's not that unreasonable for the show to spam you with some Star Wars jargon, even if it is a bit awkward when you step back and listen to how it in a normal, out-of-star-wars context and think of what your life is and how disappointed your parents are in you.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017

Couldn't agree more. Idk what to tell people. Star Wars will always connect things, sometimes better than other times, but overall I feel that this season has been pretty respectful and purposeful in that it doesn't require the audience to know who someone like Cobb Vanth is. At the same time, those who DO know Vanth through engaging with the canon beyond the films is rewarded for their time. I dig it.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
The Mandalorian is a kids show. Its on Disney+, its PG, its meant as basically a slightly step above kids cartoons. Its NOT Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, or The Wire. Its supposed to be understood by kids, and its supposed to be watchable by anyone dropping into a random episode, you don't need to watch every episode before to follow along.

I'm really enjoying it, sometimes we have random relatives over and their kids watch too and they love it, which is really a fun energy to be around. I remember all the cool shows I used to watch as a kid - TNG, A-Team, Knight Rider, Family Ties, Dukes of Hazzard, etc - and its nice to see a show with such high production values that has that good mix of wonder, adventure, action, and exploration.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame, season 1 was successful on its own and proved they can create something disconnected from older concepts. Season 2 feels like a desperation act, putting in a bunch of fanservice connections that'd usually be at place in a series trying to grap at waning interest.
To be fair, Rebels was structured similarily. Season 1 was overall pretty original in its storytelling and introduced new characters, locations, etc... Then in Season 2, a number of saga (or at least Clone Wars) famous cameos show up. Rebels, however, balanced the original Rebels crew with cameos quite well placing the main focus of the story on the former. In S3 and S4, the cameos are intertwined with the original characters and new ones in a pretty engaging way.

It remains to be seen if Mandalorian can also retain this balance, but with Filoni at the helm, I'm optimistic.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
To be fair, Rebels was structured similarily. Season 1 was overall pretty original in its storytelling and introduced new characters, locations, etc... Then in Season 2, a number of saga (or at least Clone Wars) famous cameos show up. Rebels, however, balanced the original Rebels crew with cameos quite well placing the main focus of the story on the former. In S3 and S4, the cameos are intertwined with the original characters and new ones in a pretty engaging way.

It remains to be seen if Mandalorian can also retain this balance, but with Filoni at the helm, I'm optimistic.
I didn't care for Rebels at all, really. The main character turned me off it completely.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
I mean, I don't *love* all of the fan service and this week's episode wasn't my favourite, but on a structural level the show is still fundamentally an episodic problem-of-the-week type thing, and it works like gangbusters on those terms.

S2 E1 for example obviously offers up some
answers on Boba Fett, but the core plot really had nothing to do with the classic "marshal defends his small town from outside threat" plot. The lore is there to make diehards happy and set up other media in a show that is otherwise basically Samurai Jack (in live-action, with a disgustingly huge budget).

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Okay, so I'm not gonna defend this because I mostly agree that this is petty complaint of dumb exposition but the key difference is this is Obiwan, whose deal we know because at the time he was only in one other movie which virtually all the audience has already seen, vs Bo Katan, who mainly the hardcore fans know. For example, I haven't seen clone wars, so I didn't know her deal of what being a deathwatch means or how I'm supposed to feel about her. As far as the Mandalorian informed me, she's a mandalorian like Mando, but slightly different and she just gave him this info as a reward for the sidequest that they were just on, which has no real implications for Mando besides getting that info.

There's no getting around the fact that Mandalorian is really leaning heavily on the part of the audience that watched Clone Wars and Rebels, while ESB only leaned on the audience that saw A New Hope, which was, again, basically everyone who was watching ESB.

Also, it's worth noting the placement of these two lines in each respective narrative. Obiwan says this at the start of the movie. Mandalorian drops this line at the end of the fourth episode of the second season to close it out and will only answer it in the next episode after that. ESB uses it as a jumping point to propel the story of the movie, Mando uses it to conclude it's episodic story of a show.

Look, of all the shit Mandolorian does that isn't impressing me, this is extremely minor and people are making too big a deal out of it. If nothing else, if you're watching a Star Wars spin off TV show in the year of our Yoda 2020, and you're a season and half through it, maybe it's not that unreasonable for the show to spam you with some Star Wars jargon, even if it is a bit awkward when you step back and listen to how it in a normal, out-of-star-wars context and think of what your life is and how disappointed your parents are in you.

But the thing is...the problem everyone keeps pushing is that you "are supposed to know" these characters. And it's a problem that does not exist.

You aren't supposed to know who these are. For so many newcomers these are just characters on the same level as Frog Lady or Greef, no one is "confused" and no one is complaining.

This is the only place where there's apparently quite a bit of "confused wifes". Reaction on social media has been extremely positive.

After almost 10 years of MCU domination, folks here are still pushing the "confused audience" when in the real world what happens is one the following:

1-"I can't wait for this mysterious character at the end of the Avengers to appear! No spoilers please!"

2-"Hey nerdy friend Who is that guy at the end of Avengers, is he important?"
"Actually yeah in the comics...."
"THAT'S COOL, I can't wait to see more of him!,"

This place is completely disconnected with actual audiences, they are not "relying" on characters that 90% of the audience are knowing for the first time ever

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
"What if Zack Snyder was a guest director on The Mandolorian?" will be a thread on this forum on day and that day we will end humanity's reliance on fossil fuels forever due to the sheer volume of combustible energy that's discovered.
"Disney announces 'Jedi Corrupted: A Star Wars Story' (Zack Snyder, Brie Larson, Temuera Morrison, Samuel L Jackson, Jared Leto, 3rd quarter 2023)[READ OP][READ THREADMARKS]"

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
But the thing is...the problem everyone keeps pushing is that you "are supposed to know" these characters. And it's a problem that does not exist.

You aren't supposed to know who these are. For so many newcomers these are just characters on the same level as Frog Lady or Greef, no one is "confused" and no one is complaining.

This is the only place where there's apparently quite a bit of "confused wifes". Reaction on social media has been extremely positive.

After almost 10 years of MCU domination, folks here are still pushing the "confused audience" when in the real world what happens is one the following:

1-"I can't wait for this mysterious character at the end of the Avengers to appear! No spoilers please!"

2-"Hey nerdy friend Who is that guy at the end of Avengers is he important?"
"Actually yeah in the comics...."
"THAT'S COOL, I can't wait to see more of him!"

This place is completely disconnected with actual audiences
This is kind of ignoring the cinematic language this is presented in. Frog lady was introduced as the unimportant plot device she was. "hey, there's this thing you gotta do, take her to planet whatever" It was just another of the eternal string of "your princess is in another castle"'s that Mando is sent on to get Grogu to the Jedi and they were super apparent about that.

Meanwhile, when Bo-Katan tells Mando to find Ahsoka Tahno, there is clear dramatic weight to the scene. The audience is expected to go "Ooooooooooh shiiiiiiiiiiit" when she says that, and the part of the audience that watched clone wars reacts appropriately. Meanwhile, the part of the audience that didn't know they're missing out on something, but don't know what, and that's an annoying feeling, even if they don't literally need to know her for it to be meaningful.

Edit: I should mention your overall right. I don't think the "confused audience" argument has any legs, especially after the MCU did what it did. But I wouldn't say they present these characters on the level of Frog Lady or Greef, that's all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.