• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which would you prefer?

• A BDSP style remake and Pokémon Legends Kyurem

Votes: 84 25.8%
  • An open world remake of Black and White

Votes: 203 62.3%
  • Basic remakes of BW 1+2 and a new open world BW3

Votes: 39 12.0%

• Total voters

Marbled Jelly

May 24, 2021
Until this week, if you had asked anyone this question it would've been obvious to hope for a Legends: Kyurem game, but now we've all seen the reveal trailer for SV and it really changes things. Hypothetically we could get a BDSP style remake of Black and White along with a Legends: Kyurem game or we could get an entirely open world remake of Black and White, so which would you want, and which do you think is more likely to happen? And as a bonus question, do you think any remake would include Black 2 and White 2 or would those be released separately?
Edit: I was wrong on the timing of the release, we are more than likely 6 years away, rather than two as my title stated. Still, even if we will be waiting a while I can't help but wonder what people want and expect with two entirely mew styles of Pokémon games being introduced so close together.

Last edited:

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Woah, slow down there. Gen V remakes are years away yet.

Anyway, the strategy of a barebones straight remake and a Legends game seems to be working like gangbusters, so probably that.

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
Remakes are every other gen so we won't get Gen 5 remakes until Gen 10. That being said, I wouldn't mind something like ORAS. The same game(s) made with the current engine and including character redesigns.

Judging from how BW and BW2 got separate art for Pokemon Day, we'll probably get both remade.

OP
OP
Marbled Jelly

Marbled Jelly

May 24, 2021
Remakes are every other gen so we won't get Gen 5 remakes until Gen 10. That being said, I wouldn't mind something like ORAS. The same game(s) made with the current engine and including character redesigns.

Judging from how BW and BW2 got separate art for Pokemon Day, we'll probably get both remade.
Somehow I completely managed to forget that remakes are only ever gen. I'll change the post to better reflect that.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the remakes look nothing like BDSP for starters, they are butt ugly. If they're gonna do it, use the engine for whatever Gen 10 has.

And honestly I'd rather see a Legends-kind of deal for Unova. Both of the Gen V games still hold up very well and I don't feel like current GF (Or ILCA?) could top either of them with a remake.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
And open world Ubisoft remake with the cities having towers and shit

I'm joking of course.

Of course.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone want a BDSP style remake again?? If it's like that I will 100% not be buying it or any future remakes

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
If it was up to me it'd be something like this:

2022 - Scarlet & Violet
2023 - DLC
2024 - BW Remake
2025 - Legends Kyurem
2026 - DLC
2027 - Gen 10

The remake doesn't need to be open world, but I'd want it to be full 3D with a moveable camera.

Not gonna happen, though.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Remakes are every other gen so we won't get Gen 5 remakes until Gen 10.
I mean, it sort of remains to be seen if this is going to continue to hold true or not. With the most recent remakes outsourced and a new "Legends" prong of the franchise, I think it's a little odd to assume that the patterns of the past are a guaranteed roadmap for the future, and to state that pattern as fact.

The only thing that does seem ironclad is that TPC would really, really like to have a new Pokémon game every holiday season. They haven't been able to do this completely consistently in the past, missing 2015 and 2020 for example, but I wouldn't be surprised if the creation of the "Legends" subseries is a big part of their plan of achieving that more consistently from now on.

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Why not a Black 1+2 and White 1+2 in the BDSP style remake? I'm fine with them leaving the games as is and just remastering the games in HD, and this way we get the stories for both games as they are amazing. The cost should also be reduced for them as both pairs share a ton of assets

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I would prefer a remake where they combine Black/White and Black2/White2 together, so that you get a really decent time skip after you beat the credits for Black/White, and you immediately jump to the sequel.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm expecting a BW remake with nothing particularly new added. I think remakes are how they'll keep the traditional gameplay alive too. I like BW1, they felt like their own new Pokémon world and probably the only game where the story approached interesting.

I'd like the sequels in there but yeah I mean they had to sneak in Platinum stuff in the postgame of BDSP, I don't see them doing two full remakes in one.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
You know, I thought I wanted a straight remake of BW with a Legends game to go with it. But I just don't think I can go back to the traditional, slow battle system anymore. Legends Arceus ruined it for all future Pokemon games (in a good way). Though if I was betting on whether we'd see a Legends-style BW game or a traditional style BW game, I'd bet on traditional.

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
I don't think having a remake every other generation has ever been some intentional strategy or anything. People notice patterns when the patterns don't necessarily mean a rule. FRLG and HGSS did not have a generation separating them, after all, and with ICLA available to do remakes now, we may see more of them in the future.

I want a faithful remake of Black and White. An open world "remake" would essentially be a brand new game with the same story.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
It'd be kind of ridiculous if by the time Gen 10 rolled around they were making games like BDSP still, so I'd probably prefer the latter. Though a Pokemon Legends that focuses on the original dragon from BW/BW2's lore would be cool.

Oct 25, 2017
See I wouldn't mind legends but in no way am I also voting for a bdSp style remake for my precious best gen unova.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
It'd be kind of ridiculous if by the time Gen 10 rolled around they were making games like BDSP still, so I'd probably prefer the latter. Though a Pokemon Legends that focuses on the original dragon from BW/BW2's lore would be cool.
By the time Gen 10 rolls around, I should be expecting Pokemon Legends 2 or a new mainline entry to the Pocket Monsters series. So I'm very confident this is assured.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Good rule of patterns are... they probably don't exist. I say it's equal chance that Unova get's remakes or something similar for either Gen 9, 10 or even 11.

Since Gen 5 was the last of the Sprite Era of games, I would like to see that be brought over for any remake.

I would personally want something like the Octopath Traveller and the upcoming Live a Live remake for the game. A mixture of 2D Sprite work with the big detailed backgrounds.

NSwitch_LiveALive_02_EN.jpg

NSwitch_LiveALive_06_EN.jpg

NEVER going to happen, I know that already. Nintendo has pretty much given up on Sprites entirely and The Pokemon Company is following Suite. But a person can dream right?

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
I just want another legends game that goes into the lore of pokemon, but don't really care what the normal remakes look like. I have a feeling that linear gym progression won't be part of gen 9 and don't think it works well with open world, and changing that makes the game deviate too much to really call it a remake.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Unova Legends and a straight remake of BOTH games with visuals that level up to Link's Awakening switch levels

I know this last thing will never happen, I'll get Black 1 in the same "almost there but also far away" visuals of BDSP, really Gen 5 is the first time that the original games hold up well enough to me that a remake in their more current state, feel destined to end up lesser anyway.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hilariously enough, Black/White OR Black2/White2 would have been so much better for a BDSP style remake than BDSP themselves, since they lost Platinum and so much of what that brought along. B/W was such an enclosed RPG that you could 1-to-1 remake it, and it'd be almost like the Final Fantasy Pixel remasters but in reverse. (I'm sure there's a better example, but I think it works for the point I'm making.)

This said, it is too early for it. That won't be happening for a while; look at HGSS -> ORAS -> BDSP timeframe. I'd be cool with a more faithful remake of these games in particular just because it would retain that "new start"feeling they had. But would be open (hah) to a more open world remake as well, if they decided to Legends it.

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
I mean, it sort of remains to be seen if this is going to continue to hold true or not. With the most recent remakes outsourced and a new "Legends" prong of the franchise, I think it's a little odd to assume that the patterns of the past are a guaranteed roadmap for the future, and to state that pattern as fact.

The only thing that does seem ironclad is that TPC would really, really like to have a new Pokémon game every holiday season. They haven't been able to do this completely consistently in the past, missing 2015 and 2020 for example, but I wouldn't be surprised if the creation of the "Legends" subseries is a big part of their plan of achieving that more consistently from now on.
Good rule of patterns are... they probably don't exist. I say it's equal chance that Unova get's remakes or something similar for either Gen 9, 10 or even 11.

It remains to be seen but so far nothing really implies they'll stop the 'every other gen remake' cycle. Legends didn't break the three year new gen cycle even though people were insisting it did, I don't see why it'd have an impact on Gen 5's remakes which would be next gen. They can have a holiday game not be a remake like USUM and Covid probably delayed anything meant for 2020.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I guess we need to wait and see how many towns Scarlet/Violet have, but an open world remake set in modern Unova seems way too ambitious for Game Freak. It would be a huge undertaking.

So they will probably play it safe and decide on a 1:1 remake again, in which case... just give us a direct remaster of the DS versions and call it a day.

ashm

Oct 26, 2017
3. A BDSP style B3W3 and Pokémon Legends Celebi
  • True Black and Paragon White by ILCA -- featuring TOD!
  • Johto prequel by Game Freak -- time-travel game starting in present-day Ilex Forest and featuring the events leading to the burning of Brass Tower and the war stopped by Lugia!
I know a Unova prequel would also work very well because of Unovan lore, but basically all Pokémon regions have a rich history that could develop into a prequel, and Johto is the most interesting one for me.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I didn't really like Legends much but it feels really redundant how two games came out that go hard on 4th gen "fan service" with a similar collection of Pokemon. Personally I'd rather they just, do a straight re-release of the original games instead of a remake if it's just going to be a routine thing followed by a Legends reimagining, but obviously that seems unlikely.

Sep 5, 2021
I prefer B3W3.

And there's still more than 2 years to go. Here's how long it took between the remakes and the original games:

RB-FRLG: 8 years
GS-HGSS: 10 years
RS-ORAS: 12 years
DP-BDSP: 15 years

And BW was released 12 years ago.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019

Since Gen 5 was the last of the Sprite Era of games, I would like to see that be brought over for any remake.

I would personally want something like the Octopath Traveller and the upcoming Live a Live remake for the game. A mixture of 2D Sprite work with the big detailed backgrounds.

NSwitch_LiveALive_02_EN.jpg

NSwitch_LiveALive_06_EN.jpg

NEVER going to happen, I know that already. Nintendo has pretty much given up on Sprites entirely and The Pokemon Company is following Suite. But a person can dream right?
It's never going to happen but I completely agree. 3D was rough on Pokemon. They had to remove so many monsters from S&S because of model work and animation work, and the animations that they do have are quite honestly not good. Sprites would fix those problems because, like the old games, you only really need a few frames and imagination handles the rest.

Typhlosion is all the evidence anyone needs to know 3D was a mistake.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
I prefer the bdsp style. I don't want the games to loose their identity, and if we are going to get open world games, I prefer them to be new.

Of course, the content is a whole different thing. I'm curious to know how they would handle the "2" versions. I suppose they would simply make another remake for the black/white 2, as they are different games.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017

Remakes have nothing to do with every gen or every other gen. Gen 1 remakes came out with Gen 3 and Gen 2 remakes came out during Gen 4. What remakes DO have to do with is that each platform gets a remake.

Gen 1 remakes were on GBA
Gen 2 remakes were on DS
Gen 3 remakes were on 3DS
Gen 4 remakes are on Switch.

Ergo, the Gen 5 remakes won't be out until Nintendo's next hardware is released. Be it Switch 2 or something else.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I've been wanting an HD2D Pokemon remake since the 3DS times. Black and White would be a perfect fit for one considering it's the best looking the franchise has ever been. (Those animated sprites have yet to be topped.)

I also demand whatever remake we get includes the campaigns for both 1 and 2.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
Remakes have nothing to do with every gen or every other gen. Gen 1 remakes came out with Gen 3 and Gen 2 remakes came out during Gen 4. What remakes DO have to do with is that each platform gets a remake.

Gen 1 remakes were on GBA
Gen 2 remakes were on DS
Gen 3 remakes were on 3DS
Gen 4 remakes are on Switch.

Ergo, the Gen 5 remakes won't be out until Nintendo's next hardware is released. Be it Switch 2 or something else.
That's not really true either, though, is it? Switch also got Gen 1 remakes.

I doubt Game Freak or Pokémon Company care about these patterns.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Hearing "BDSP style remake" makes me instantly lose all interest in a game. I'd rather go back to my original cartridge or have them re-release the ROM.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Its guarantted to be an ICLA femake, on the other hand, GF will probably make their own original game set in unova

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
If it's like BDSP can it atleast use character portraits for dialogue scenes, like a few moments in the originals did, instead of zooming in so close to low res chibi assets that you can see the individual pixels on the textures?

God the c-gear calls are going to look so much worse! I don't really care about Cyrus coming across like a dork but Ghestis as a zoomed in chibi is going to sting real bad isn't it?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I'd prefer an Arceus style game but they just proved we can have both so… that.

The only thing that bothered me about BDSP was the lack of platinum content. No good reason not to include it IMO… so any BW equivalent would have to include the 2s

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Typhlosion is all the evidence anyone needs to know 3D was a mistake.
while i don't necessarily agree with the rest of your sentiment, legends actually proves that this was just dumb design. the cyndaquil line gets fixed in legends because they finally got the TLC to ensure that the flames are always on in battle, and if you call them out any other time they're soft and cuddly

there's always ways to make it work in 3D, it just required more time than they had to get it right for all 600+ creatures at the time

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I want neither. I would rather any funds that would go to a gen 5 remake instead go to making a DS Switch emulator so they can put the original games on that. Of the two I voted open world, even though I don't normally like open world games, because tbh my one issue with gen 5 is how linear and narrow your path through Unova feels compared to the gen 4 games so it'd be interesting to see the opposite at least.

The HD 2D thing would be amazing for these games, but it's 1000% not happening. I would bet money on that.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Black and white had some of the best 2D sprites/animations of all time. The intricate animations especially were simply some of the best in class that game freak was known for.

If there is a remake then it has to be Let's Go style . BDSP chibi style is and shall always remain ugly. BDSP was a rushed game that clearly had loftier goals for graphics which can be seen during battles but then they got chibi-fied to meet deadlines. Let ILCA never repeat that garbage style ever again. Give them time and money, no one needs or expects unova remakes for sometime anyway.