• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm 37, so if I'm getting drafted that probably means we're literally getting invaded and the enemy is in the streets. I'd probably ignore the order and stay with my family to try and ensure their safety.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably try to avoid it if at all possible, but I have a feeling that given my educational background and skills I'd likely be put to work in military R&D rather than put on the front lines. Assuming I couldn't defer it for educational reasons as a grad student (which wouldn't need to defer that long since I turn 26 this year). That said this whole scenario is super unlikely

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The truly terrifying thing about the American war machine is that, barring unprecedented circumstances, it will never require anyone but professional volunteers to function at 100% efficiency. It's because of this that the human costs of war will always be largely abstract for the greater American public, as their lives will never be put on the line for the conflicts they vote for unless they themselves choose to join the war effort. Instead those costs will be placed on the foreign, the poor, the indoctrinated, and the violently deranged.

These fantasies about what you would do if there was a draft are a reaction to the implicit understanding that your individual objection to war has no material impact on the American military's ability to carry it out.
Good post. And it's heading even further in that direction with AI and robotics research. War is becoming more gamified.

That said, if it came down to drafting a 40 year old with bad knees, bad back, and mental health problems, we're all probably pretty well fucked anyway.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
based-savage-basedsavage3600-ill-serve-crack-before-l-serve-this-36127019.png

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mentally ill and wildly suicidal so like, they put a gun in my hand I'm shooting myself in the head. Told the recruiters that used to come into the store I managed the same thing.

Oct 26, 2017
Protest like Muhammad Ali did. I'm not going to kill people for psycho fucks just because I live in the same country as these political fuckheads.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a determined pacifist. I won't fight a war, not because I disagree with the politics behind it (although I almost certainly will), but because I know it is only because individuals fail to see fighting or not fighting as a personal choice that there ever are any.

It's an ideal stance, and undergoes severe challenge in the face of a true existential threat. "What if you needed to protect your loved ones?"

If it came down to a true, all-encompassing conflict, I would enlist in any medical service that could find a use for me.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After Vietnam, I think its clear that instituting the draft in order to fight abroad would be political suicide.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
When I became a US Citizen I had to say something along the lines of I'd go to war for the country. :/

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Volunteer for one of the shit roles so I don't have to see combat. Military police or HR or something.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I'm old enough and have enough medical issues that if I was actually drafted and didn't get rejected the US would really have to be on the brink of defeat.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
couldn't you just tank your physical training and get kicked out?

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Depends who we're fighting and why. If Canada was being annexed by a foreign power then I would happily do my duty. If China tried to invade Australia or something crazy like that, i'd like to think i'd want to help. If the Americans were just off murdering people again and was forcing our involvement, fuck that.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm probably not in the first wave of names for a draft, nor do I think we'd ever reinstate the draft again in the first place.

But no, I would never fight in a war for the fat, old, oligarchs in Washington. Never.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
If the draft was reinstated, the threat is existential. Believe it or not, the US military doesn't want you there if you don't want to be there. If it ever got to that point, we're literally defending our homes, not going going to some far away battlefield.

America isn't so screwed up that I would object to defending my home from a foreign power.

I suppose we could be the bad guys that are losing, but in that case refusing to fight would probably mean execution.

It's kind of a silly question since it would only happen in the worst possible scenario.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
I'm a white woman in ideal breeding age if I had blonde hair and blue eyes I would be a scared cow to trump supporters.

All shit aside I dont believe the draft would be reinstated. You got more than enough teens that would enlist because all the previous family men did and will probably be peer pressured into doing it. Dont forget about poor rural teens that GI bill is a golden carrot to them. Lastly you got enough racists and psychos that want to kill brown people.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what would happen in modern times if Nazi's started taking over again. Would y'all still flee for Mexico or claim bone spurs?
To fight a belligerent nation that invades other countries and destabilizes entire regions and has concentration camps for little kids? I think that kind of supervillain is a thing of the past.