• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Arkane have the former valve art director from half life 2? I remember hearing something about that which originally got me interested in Dishonored, but that was a while ago.

Edit: Viktor Antonov. Looks like he was art director for HL2 and Dishonored, did some art and writing for Wolfenstein New Order, Prey etc. But is working somewhere else now on an mmo.

Last edited:

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arkane would get the tone right, along with the world building and level design littered with side areas and little stories to be told. Respawn/ID would better handle the shooting, but I'm not sure they'd make the kind of game Half-Life is (which is what I'd want). So yeah, to get the level design and tone of the game just right, Arkane is absolutely the front runner.

Naughty Dog Half-Life would be awful.

It'll never, ever, forever happen though. Half-Life 3 is as dead as a game can be. Valve won't release a single player campaign game again for the remainder of our collective lifetimes.
Are we taking bets? Cause I'd take you up on your last statement at whatever odds you wanna play :).

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Respawn and Arkane are probably the most realistic options.

I would like to propose another alternative though:
If they weren't 1st party then Sony Santa Monica. 2018 God of War is a long 30+ hour adventure full of enticing narrative, puzzles and truly exciting combat done in a single-shot (just like HL1 & 2 minus their load-pauses).

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Kojima Production. It might come out sooner and holy damn, it would be really out there in regards to the plot.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Are we taking bets? Cause I'd take you up on your last statement at whatever odds you wanna play :).

Unfortunately I'm not a gambling man, and it's hard for me to win when my criteria is a lifetime :P. I'll believe it when I see it though. It's been over 8 years since Portal 2. I've got no problem with their current direction, I've made my peace, but losing lifetime staff known for prolific single player contributions, alongside the grapevine gossip about Valve's games-as-a-service focus, evident in at least the last 8 years of development, tells me their era of solo campaigns is long dead.

If I can wake up one day and get a Portal 3, Half-Life 3, or whatever else as reminiscent of the games I fell in love with I'll be ecstatic. Five years ago I would have told you I was still holding out. No more.

Oct 26, 2017
The correct answer is Arkane for world building and level design and Respawn for gameplay and mechanics.

Add Avellone as a lead writer as well.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I'm not a gambling man, and it's hard for me to win when my criteria is a lifetime :P. I'll believe it when I see it though. It's been over 8 years since Portal 2. I've got no problem with their current direction, I've made my peace, but losing lifetime staff known for prolific single player contributions, alongside the grapevine gossip about Valve's games-as-a-service focus, evident in at least the last 8 years of development, tells me their era of solo campaigns is long dead.

If I can wake up one day and get a Portal 3, Half-Life 3, or whatever else as reminiscent of the games I fell in love with I'll be ecstatic. Five years ago I would have told you I was still holding out. No more.
Well I can't say what you'll get or not get (eventually) either way, but I wouldn't lose hope.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
It would have to be Arkane. No-one invents like Arkane. Arkane are the best studio in the industry.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people saying Naughty Dog?

They can't get shooting too feel good and they've never written anything remotely like HL. We'd end up with Gordon being a voiced protag who fires off science quips often and he'd have a combine child follow him around to explain their world or some shit.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Arkane is about one of the only developers who could make a sequel that actually honors half life's sandboxy, physics driven gameplay mechanics.

They can't get shooting too feel good and they've never written anything remotely like HL. We'd end up with Gordon being a voiced protag who fires off science quips often and he'd have a combine child follow him around to explain their world or some shit.

In 2015 we once had this exact thread on GAF and Naughty Dog fans were unironically posting this very gif as an example of "good gameplay"

giphy.gif

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

What a load of crap. U4's shooting feels excellent.

The only right answer is Arkane btw.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
All these Arkane mentions surprise me a bit. We are taking about a linear shooter that moves from scripted setpiece to scripted setpiece. The Half-Life games have far more in common with Call of Duty than with Prey / Dishonored / Deus Ex / Bioshock / System Shock.. Do people remember the Half-Life games as anything remotely close to an immersive sim?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
All these Arkane mentions surprise me a bit. We are taking about a linear shooter that moves from scripted setpiece to scripted setpiece. The Half-Life games have far more in common with Call of Duty than with Prey / Dishonored / Deus Ex / Bioshock / System Shock.. Do people remember the Half-Life games as anything remotely close to an immersive sim?

I don't agree. Half-Life games are very lengthy with a big focus on storytelling and the use of strange weapons and enemies. The era they're from had a focus on linearity, but a new installment could be way more open with nowadays tech. Half-Life never felt like a linear on-rails military shooter to me and far more like the Arkane games.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn OP Bungie is a great chouce and it didnt pop out at me immediately either. Very solid choice.

I would also say CDPR Red.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Arkane would be the only one who who has the sense of taste to make it work in my opinion. Viktor Antonov (art director of HL2) having worked there previously for Dishonored and Arkane still having excellent taste of world building after he left means it rubbed off on them and is now part of the studios DNA. but I have to say only the Lyon studio could pull it off.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
If we want the game to play to Arkane's strengths, wouldn't it make sense to add other immersive sim staples such aus inventory management, side quests, XP and weapon modifications? I really don't see what they bring to the table otherwise. Sure, Dishonored had a similar art style to HL2 but aside from that there really isn't a lot of overlap. I can see a bit of Half-Life DNA in Dark Messiah but even that game is fundamentally different in many ways.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with the mentions of Arcane and Respawn. I wouldnt want Naughty Dog anywhere near it.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018

people here unironically think uncharted are good games and naughty dog makes good games.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
It's fun to speculate but in actuality, it'll never happen. (I think even Newell said it won't be done outside the studio)

But heck I'll partake and this is honestly me not being edgy but it's definitely NOT Machine Games.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I'd give is to 4A Games ...
ah damn... 1 year exclusivity of HL3 to Epic Game Store then because of Koch ?

so, yeah, no, noone.

Let it die, let it diiiiiiiiiie
Can't hold the hope anymore
Let it die, let it diiiiiiiiiie
Turn away and slam the door

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Arkane make the best FPS games right now, and they could design an incredibly intricate and smart Borealis, with portal mechanics. I would definitely pick them.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Giving Half-Life to naughty dog would be like replacing Denis Villeneuve with Michael Bay

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017