• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We'll go back to taxis I'm sure. Hopefully people will realize how we need more public transportation in the US.

Unlikely. Ride-sharing is an awful business to be in.

The potential for having the name brand and the future of an automated fleet of electric vehicles with no overhead cost is far too great to say no to.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Something else would pop up. They were banned in Austin for a bit and a lot of alternatives came out. It was annoying to have to get new apps, but it wasn't that big of a deal. The actual concept is too ingrained now to not exist in some capacity for the foreseeable future.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Problem is with all the talk of these companies losing money hand over fist, what will happen if ride-sharing companies go bust (aka driverless cars technology they are banking on does not arrive in time), how will society react to not having thee convenience of ride sharing not available anymore?

NYC would probably implement their own version in order to streamline the current taxi industry and do away with medallions that cost upwards to a million dollars, make is city controlled, and make hella more money.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Got any link to back this claim up?

They have regulatory and other issues.. but I've never heard of Uber "going the other way to stop money hemorrhage." They are just expanding in different ways depending on the market.
They just sold Uber Eats in India last month. They are selling off non-profitable venues and trying to refocus itself on their core bussiness, but in general now the expansion is through costly mergers like with Careem (for Middle East)
They also fired quite a bit of people last year.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Uber and the like. We need a strong public tranport system if we want to tackle global warming.

Deleted member 12379

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They just sold Uber Eats in India last month. They are selling off non-profitable venues and trying to refocus itself on their core bussiness, but in general now the expansion is through costly mergers like with Careem (for Middle East)

Thanks for the more recent article. I was reading about uber ceding tough-to-crack markets in Shanghai and Russia but that was 3-4 years ago. I think investors had enough and wanted the company to make deals instead of trying for world domination.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, but they are still projecting revenue growth and profitability, which is a sign that they are doing well. Even after their earnings their stock has risen.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen comments like this and it's really incredible to me. Have you ever lived outside of a city? Taxis aren't everywhere at all times. I can find an Uber/Lyft to come get me in pretty much anywhere within just a few minutes with the tap of a button.
I drive myself 99% of time and I only use taxi when I am going to somewhere I know I will drink, that's it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
A new taxi substitute will arise. Myself and many, many, many other city folks will exhaust every last option before settling on taxis again.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The potential for having the name brand and the future of an automated fleet of electric vehicles with no overhead cost is far too great to say no to.

Buying Space X for the potential Mars tourism would be a safer bet at the rate full driverless is going for Uber and Lyft.

Uber will probably scale back to major cities where they are most profitable, stop delivering food, and double down on their freight business (the only part that makes any money). Lyft will probably not exist in a decade as they are entirely dependent on ride shares.

Wall Street has completely lost faith in these companies and the only reason they aren't dead yet is because SoftBank is trying to not look stupid to the Saudis.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably go out less. Uber is a shitty company but the experience has been so much better than hailing regular taxis in NYC. I'm not taking the train or bus at 1 in the morning.

Oct 25, 2017
Another company will do it. Or the rise of another platform that facilitates rides between users will crop up.

The concept is too good to die. And even if the living is meager long term, to some people it is worth it. Especially those looking for temporary work.

Being able to make money on your free time that would otherwise go to waste is still a compelling concept. It won't make you retire early but when I have a few hours to kill to make $30 or $40 bucks? That's still better than being a slave to McDonald's or Walmart and having to deal with shit managers and being beholden to a shit scheduling system.

For the concept to be too good not to die, it would need to be sustainable able.So far, the evidence points precisely towards it being something destined to die.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Man, some of y'all have clearly never lived in places without taxis. Uber may be shitty, but there was literally no alternative prior. It was either have a friend drive you, try to drive yourself, or dont go at all.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but they are still projecting revenue growth and profitability, which is a sign that they are doing well. Even after their earnings their stock has risen.

Interesting.. reads more like they are selling in places where they failed to capture the market.. while overall still heavily expanding though.

They are now trying to project profitability close, as a response for their pretty bad IPO, and avoid some of the core issues other "non fully tech but initially valued as tech" companies had last year. To do that they are continuing abandoning some of the underperforming markets. The expansion tho is much more costly now as it is mostly done through mergers (and their most profitable markets are likely to see heavy regulation soon). The stock rose because they got less loss than expected and still projected to slim down to reach profitability soon.

remiri

Nov 1, 2017
I visit Vegas yearly for a company convention and Uber is a life-saver compared to taxis. I love being able to see my rate and the pickup is easy. Taxis overcharge and underperform, you never know the cost, and they expect ridiculous tips.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, some of y'all have clearly never lived in places without taxis. Uber may be shitty, but there was literally no alternative prior. It was either have a friend drive you, try to drive yourself, or dont go at all.

Most people here are american, and there are few things more ubiquitous to them than having a car. It's like the "why people don't use SMS/I don't need that, I use SMS" that you hear in every single messaging app thread.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure another rideshare company would step in to replace them at this point.
I could even see something like Craigslist But For Rideshares happening, where someone makes the app and maybe the option to make a Paypal (etc) payment but absolves themselves of any responsibility beyond that and it's up to the driver and customer to sort it out from there.

If not, well, I guess everyone around here will go back to driving themselves around, or getting a rental car if they flew in from out of town. (I don't live in a city like everyone else in this thread apparently does, so just "simply" switching "back" to a regular taxi isn't a viable option, and I think we are fortunate enough to have an entire bus route, but don't ask me where it goes or when it runs.)
Yep.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Most people here are american, and there are few things more ubiquitous to them than having a car. It's like the "why people don't use SMS/I don't need that, I use SMS" that you hear in every single messaging app thread.

Hell, I am American, I just live in Michigan where public transportation all but doesnt exist.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Just use taxis"

As I wait 45 minutes for a taxi

"Use public transportation"

where the public transportation stops working at midnight or has a stop area 8 blocks from where my grandmother needs to go.

UBER/LYFT have shown us there is a necessity and a market. Its going to be rough.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We don't have Uber nor Lyft in most cities in my country and we're all fine

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Ride sharing is going nowhere regardless of what happens to Uber and Lyft. Having said that Uber is going nowhere anyway. Not as sure about Lyft's prospects since I'm not as familiar with the company.

Jul 18, 2018
I've seen comments like this and it's really incredible to me. Have you ever lived outside of a city? Taxis aren't everywhere at all times. I can find an Uber/Lyft to come get me in pretty much anywhere within just a few minutes with the tap of a button.
Confused. I would assume its more popular INSIDE city limits rather than outside. At least in the US where its suburbs and everyone has a vehicle to drive anywhere.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Ride sharing is going nowhere regardless of what happens to Uber and Lyft. Having said that Uber is going nowhere anyway. Not as sure about Lyft's prospects since I'm not as familiar with the company.

How? These companies do not make money as they've grown and are only profitable in a relative handful of cities.

Sure LA and NYC will probably have Uber or an equivalent but smaller cities and suburbia sure won't. These companies are certain to shrink as the decade goes on.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another company will come along.

There were plenty of social media sites like Xanga, blackplanet, myspace before FaceBook became a juggernaut and dominated that space. If Lyft/Uber fail then someone will come along who will get it right.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It's amazing how the cornerstones of the New Economy are all losing money

Netflix still hasn't turned a profit yet either.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah I know taxis exist but I'm talking about the convenience of ride-sharing which obliterates taxis if we're being real.

Uber is just an illegal/unregulated taxi company with a good tech platform.

Taxi companies are now starting to have apps and that's more then adequate at replacing Uber even if it costs more (Due to paying workers fairly)

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
What happens when they decide they need to make a profit and the cost of ride sharing goes way up? We are basically getting subsidized rideshare from investors. This is in some ways similar to Moviepass (on a smaller scale) just subsidizing everyone's movie tickets.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
How? These companies do not make money as they've grown and are only profitable in a relative handful of cities.

Sure LA and NYC will probably have Uber or an equivalent but smaller cities and suburbia sure won't. These companies are certain to shrink as the decade goes on.
They can't go on being unprofitable forever, there is no doubt about that, but they can sustain losses for a long time if the business model shows potential. Airlines went decades losing money. Supply will constrain and fares will rise. It'll definitely get more expensive.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
This is my feelings as well and why don't think Uber/Lyft will ever truly go away. If those companies bust other companies will come and replace.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of what happens, Uber winning or Uber dying, the convenience of ride-sharing is only something that is currently viable due to millions of dollars prompting it up, so you might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

That's the issue. For now, it's simply not a profitable venture at price points people will entertain so they have to subsidize it to keep it afloat. Eventually that either has to stop, or people need to be willing to pay significantly more to use the service. It could honestly become a more high end luxury-ish thing Like you already have with car services that people only use if they're rich or really really need the ride.

What they charge now is simply not a viable long term pricing structure (until driverless cars of course, which is Uber's long term dream)