• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Without mentioning the labor violations and not giving drivers enough protections, you can't deny that we live in a society wherein the convenience of ride-sharing is much appreciated and that going back to the old days of hailing for a cab or having to obtain transportation that's not within just a few clicks of an app is not something people generally want to revert to. Hell, Uber/Lyft have probably saved me and a my friends from a couple DUI's if I'm being honest.

Problem is with all the talk of these companies losing money hand over fist, what will happen if ride-sharing companies go bust (aka driverless cars technology they are banking on does not arrive in time), how will society react to not having thee convenience of ride sharing not available anymore?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They won't go bust, investors are too exposed to just let them fail. Money will continue to get pumped into them until they succeed or are bought out.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Uber didn't invent Taxis, you understand that right? Taxis in some form or another will always exist.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Another company will do it. Or the rise of another platform that facilitates rides between users will crop up.

The concept is too good to die. And even if the living is meager long term, to some people it is worth it. Especially those looking for temporary work.

Being able to make money on your free time that would otherwise go to waste is still a compelling concept. It won't make you retire early but when I have a few hours to kill to make $30 or $40 bucks? That's still better than being a slave to McDonald's or Walmart and having to deal with shit managers and being beholden to a shit scheduling system.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Meh, taxis still exist. I won't use Uber or Lyft anyway, as long as they treat their employees...er, their 'contractors' like shit.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, a lot of taxi companies these days have apps. I've had terrible experiences with Uber and Lyft so I either am the DD or I get a taxi.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uber was recently (officially) declared illegal in my country (mainly because politicians have a hand in the taxi business) and no longer works here. I kind of miss it in that it was better for me to use that app to grab a ride to my place and have it be charged to my card, not have to worry about cash, rude drivers, etc. But honestly it seems like it's business as usual for people in the country. It's not like society collapsed after the service was shut down locally. I don't know if there are other local alternatives though. Maybe some more will pop up eventually.

I've visited countries where Uber was also illegal, or there didn't seem to be a need for such a service because cabs are not that expensive and public transportation is pretty much excellent.

I guess it depends on the country and city.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other local / smaller companies already exist.

Ridesharing is not going away, can't put that genie back into the bottle.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
A single tear will roll down my cheek, then be gone. Truly saddening that a company that considers it's workers "contractors"(not eligible for benefits,minimum wage or compensation) could not exist.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC has many options. So nothing will happen.

Every time I'm in NYC I walk everywhere. I can't say that about LA or Seattle or Denver or any of the other huge cities with notably worse public transit & walking options.

Either way, you can't put the instant pickup genie back in the bottle at this point. These services might die but only when replaced by competitors.

OP
OP
g23

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know taxis exist but I'm talking about the convenience of ride-sharing which obliterates taxis if we're being real.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know taxis exist but I'm talking about the convenience of ride-sharing which obliterates taxis if we're being real.
Regardless of what happens, Uber winning or Uber dying, the convenience of ride-sharing is only something that is currently viable due to millions of dollars prompting it up, so you might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Where I'm at taxis have an app just like Uber, and even offer black car/regular car pickup. Haven't used an uber in years.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Neither Uber nor Lyft are going to go bankrupt. They lose money intentionally as part of their business plan, which at least for Uber, is around growth and cornering the market or becoming the "go to" service for the things they offer. Their quarterly losses are not unexpected, they're planned for.

Still, as a hypothetical question, I think if Uber and Lyft go out of business, they have shown that technology can be used effectively in the taxi industry to make more rider-friendly taxi experiences. Pre-Uber, taking a cab in my city was annoying, with a dispatcher phone line that was *Always* busy, a rude dispatcher who routinely hung up on you, and a solid chance that your driver would never show up or your driver would show up, not see you, drive off, and then you'd be stranded. The cabbies didn't reliably take credit cards (this was like... 2010s too; At least once a cab driver refused my card mid-trip, and wouldn't take me home unless I went to an ATM and took out cash, and he kept the meter running the whole time) and it wasn't a safer experience than any time I've taken an Uber for me... with enough experiences where the passengers and I openly wondered whether cabbies were drunk or on drugs. Then, of course, was the notoriously racist drivers and/or dispatchers, who would ignore dangerous neighborhoods or say they're all booked up and it'll be an hour+ if you need a ride home from a poorer part of town. But they were literally the only game in town, you had nothing else. Uber came around and changed everything, and changed everything in a matter of months, while the cab industry here was so stubborn because they had no incentive to change.

Now where I live there's more car services available, and the cab companies have had to join up with app networks so you can book rides from your phone and watch your driver coming to hour location. For years, the cab industry had a monopoly on the city that didn't get broken until Uber and Lyft came around and proved you could break it. It was a government sponsored monopoly, backed by organized crime, that pretended that any advancements to technology or the rider experience -- even simple things like accepting credit cards -- was just impossible. There would be no uber and lyft today if the cab industries didn't woefully under-serve customers for decades with a protected monopoly.

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I never used uber once in my life, don't see the need. Taxis work just fine.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
... and that going back to the old days of hailing for a cab or having to obtain transportation that's not within just a few clicks of an app is not something people generally want to revert to.
I already use an app to call a cab just like an Uber -- only its better, because its not Uber.

Just to repeat since I see this all the time: There are apps that let you hail cabs.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
just means my lazy ass has to walk to the bustop/train station....but some other company will pick tem up Ube/Lyft/etc. are just to ingrained for there never to be another rideshare service

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I already use an app to call a cab just like an Uber -- only its better, because its not Uber.

Just to repeat since I see this all the time: There are apps that let you hail cabs.

This.

Where I live all the Taxi companies use apps to hail them so there is literally zero difference between them and Uber.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They'll be treated as a public good despite losing tons of money like airlines.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Neither Uber nor Lyft are going to go bankrupt. They lose money intentionally as part of their business plan, which at least for Uber, is around growth and cornering the market or becoming the "go to" service for the things they offer. Their quarterly losses are not unexpected, they're planned for.
The problem is that this system is based on investors not pulling out and prompting them up. There is a reason why Uber in the last years has gone the other way around dropping and selling markets to try and stop the hemorrhage.

Edit: The dissappointing IPO as well as the failure of other "tech" companies that deal with physical stuff scared a bit the investors.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Where I live Uber/Lyft has driven local cab companies to the brink of extinction, and it is well deserved. Our cabs had no clearly posted rate, no meter, wouldn't show up when called, were dirty, drivers were reckless, and overall were expensive if you didn't negotiate how much you were willing to pay. If Uber/Lyft were to fold tomorrow and no more ride sharing was available, my city would be a shit show.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd whip out my smart phone and google cab companies.

Jesus how young are people on this site.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
With a giant shrug, transportation needs will be filled, jitney drivers existed before Uber and still exist now.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The problem is that this system is based on investors not pulling out and prompting them up. There is a reason why Uber in the last years has gone the other way around dropping and selling markets to try and stop the hemorrhage.
Got any link to back this claim up?

They have regulatory and other issues.. but I've never heard of Uber "going the other way to stop money hemorrhage." They are just expanding in different ways depending on the market.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
For suburban areas with no buses after a certain time and also no taxi companies (or limited/price prohibitive taxi companies), Uber/Lyft is essential for people that don't drive.

Even if they did get close to being bankrupt, someone would swoop in and buy the name and the "employee" lists.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still, as a hypothetical question, I think if Uber and Lyft go out of business, they have shown that technology can be used effectively in the taxi industry to make more rider-friendly taxi experiences. Pre-Uber, taking a cab in my city was annoying, with a dispatcher phone line that was *Always* busy, a rude dispatcher who routinely hung up on you, and a solid chance that your driver would never show up or your driver would show up, not see you, drive off, and then you'd be stranded. The cabbies didn't reliably take credit cards (this was like... 2010s too; At least once a cab driver refused my card mid-trip, and wouldn't take me home unless I went to an ATM and took out cash, and he kept the meter running the whole time) and it wasn't a safer experience than any time I've taken an Uber for me... with enough experiences where the passengers and I openly wondered whether cabbies were drunk or on drugs. Then, of course, was the notoriously racist drivers and/or dispatchers, who would ignore dangerous neighborhoods or say they're all booked up and it'll be an hour+ if you need a ride home from a poorer part of town. But they were literally the only game in town, you had nothing else. Uber came around and changed everything, and changed everything in a matter of months, while the cab industry here was so stubborn because they had no incentive to change.

Now where I live there's more car services available, and the cab companies have had to join up with app networks so you can book rides from your phone and watch your driver coming to hour location. For years, the cab industry had a monopoly on the city that didn't get broken until Uber and Lyft came around and proved you could break it. It was a government sponsored monopoly, backed by organized crime, that pretended that any advancements to technology or the rider experience -- even simple things like accepting credit cards -- was just impossible. There would be no uber and lyft today if the cab industries didn't woefully under-serve customers for decades with a protected monopoly.

I still remember all shitty stories I had with taxis back in the day. Not going back to that, thankfully.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Without them, I would be in the lurch, fighting cabs for not taking me across the River from NYC.... would suck. It was so bad before, such a stress point.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
The barrier of entry is incredibly small. Anyone can make an exact copy of the Uber app in very little time. New versions will come out until one finds a model that succeeds.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Honestly I never used uber once in my life, don't see the need. Taxis work just fine.

I've seen comments like this and it's really incredible to me. Have you ever lived outside of a city? Taxis aren't everywhere at all times. I can find an Uber/Lyft to come get me in pretty much anywhere within just a few minutes with the tap of a button.