• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
gettyimages-626524652.jpg

That picture still gives me the creeps.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I hate to say it, Kasich would probably be their best bet.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Trump

honestly even if he was somehow magically removed from office(20 republican senators aren't voting for that but lets just pretend) if they didn't also take the additional step beyond that of barring him from running again I honestly wouldn't even be surprised if it was still Trump again

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Him pardoning Nixon was the entire point of him getting into the presidency.

In any sort of implicit deal was made, he should've reneged the moment he was sworn in. What exactly could Nixon have done then? Ford was an utter moron to think pardoning Tricky Dick wouldn't sick his presidency and any chance for re-election.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I think no one serious would run. If conditions weren't so horrible I bet Mittens and Rand Paul at the very least.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Trump being impeached doesn't mean he'll get removed from office, two presidents have been impeached and none of them were removed.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
He's more than likely going to be impeached, but he's not gonna get removed unfortunately.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
IF he is impeached it will be only by the house, so it's not like he's not going to try and run again. Republicans will claim "deep state" conspiracy....

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If by some miracle it happens, probably Pence. It'll be a lame duck position, nobody of any note is going to want to attach themselves to that shit show. Keep in mind the party itself will probably implode. The moron diehard Trumpers will probably claim the Republican swamp didn't go enough to save their god and perceive Pence or anyone else as a traitor.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
if this were to actually go down it would be such an immeasurable clusterfuck for the GOP and their base that I don't think anyone could guess what would happen

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if this were to actually go down it would be such an immeasurable clusterfuck for the GOP and their base that I don't think anyone could guess what would happen
If by some miracle it happens, probably Pence. It'll be a lame duck position, nobody of any note is going to want to attach themselves to that shit show. Keep in mind the party itself will probably implode. The moron diehard Trumpers will probably claim the Republican swamp didn't go enough to save their god and perceive Pence or anyone else as a traitor.

I really want to believe this, but the GoP already survived Nixon, so I'm inclined to believe they can survive Trump...

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017

I always read it the way you did.

--

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States; but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

—Article I, Section 3, Clauses 6 and 7

kamen_tater

Oct 27, 2017
Just for clarification since people conflate them all the time, impeachment is just bringing forth charges on the president and is done solely by the house. The actual trial and removal from office is a separate thing from impeachment and done by the Senate(lol, as if these cowards would), and he is still president until after that trial unless he steps down(lol, like he ever would willingly).

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to believe this, but the GoP already survived Nixon, so I'm inclined to believe they can survive Trump...

I don't mean implode as in they will go away (unfortunately) just that they will have to retool, rebrand and reinvent themselves and find the next group of gullible, useful idiots like evangelicals and tea baggers and Trumpers.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Romney and he would crush it sadly. The Democrats have a horribly weak showing due to our fractured party and identity.

Doesn't matter though because the Senate will borderline never pass the verdict to impeach.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
If the Republicans weren't as shitty, Bill Weld would be a reasonable choice for them. But he's probably between the modern day Democrats and George HW Bushes Republicans in policy, and modern Republicans aren't that.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Impeachment isn't removal from office. He'll still be their nominee.
Yeah. People need to reiterate this over and over and over. He'll likely be impeached. He likely won't be convicted in the Senate. He'll probably be impeached and just run again. He'll still win (at least) 45+% of the vote. There is 0% chance of that not happening at this point.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll still be Trump...he might be impeached but he wont be removed.

Vote for a good democratic nominee and we can start fixing this fucking mess. Or dont and we can sit back and watch just how well it plays out for us.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Nikki Haley. They can use her slimy ass as "the one who always opposed Trump" who worked under him.

Nobody will hold her accountable for her pulling us out of the UN Human Rights Council and the real reason she did it, I'm sure...
Will def be her. a "progressive" move fielding a republican woman who was "good" at her job.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
The only way the 'Pub base can save face is to show their face now. If Trump's shown to be treasonous it follows that the best way forward for them is Weld.
The 'Pub base, the nation and the world would know this is how they'll absolve themselves and to show and allow others to believe them on their word again to be true to everyone else, one another and themselves. It puts them in the process as well.

Weld. The first presidential candidate to suggest executing Trump. A 'Pub leader.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah. People need to reiterate this over and over and over. He'll likely be impeached. He likely won't be convicted in the Senate. He'll probably be impeached and just run again. He'll still win (at least) 45+% of the vote. There is 0% chance of that not happening at this point.

Its sad watching this play out because a ton of people are so convinced impeached=removed. We are still very far from that position just yet.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe, but the relationship and culture surrounding Trump is much different than Nixon. The actual GOP apparatus will be more than happy to sell trump down the river if/when they decide it's strategically expedient, but the base of true believers is all in on Trump, and they have swallowed all the shit they've been fed these past few years. The deep state, the swamp, the 'globalists', the whole thing...many of them literally believe any political actor not on the Trump Train wants to destroy America. They will not be lining up to get behind a Romney or a Jeb or a Ryan a few weeks after Trump is ousted. They will be asking why those traitors didn't do everything in their power to save the true God Emperor of America from getting ousted by the satanic elites.

I mean I'm exaggerating, a little, but I really think that's how it will play for the base.

Now I don't know that that means the collapse or total reimagining of the GOP or what, but I am pretty confident it will be an insane fucking mess.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will def be her. a "progressive" move fielding a republican woman who was "good" at her job.

Her being a women helps them check off the "diversity" card that the party clearly lacks too, and attempt to get back women voters who were the largest block that bailed on them in the 2018 midterms.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No way the senate votes for him.

We have to vote him out and take back the senate (and keep the house).

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
This question isn't so far out there. You're never getting the 20 Republicans needed to convict him, but the heat could turn up to the point that he flees, especially if guaranteed a pardon by Pence.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Don Jr., Ivanka, or Jared Kushner - since all of those options scare the shit out of me, and this is the darkest timeline.