• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What art would you like for a third Chrono game?

• Toriyama

Votes: 541 68.7%
  • Something different

Votes: 246 31.3%

• Total voters
May 13, 2019
Yeah, it's really hard to look at how CC treats the cast of CT and not wonder if Kato had some negative feelings after CT.
And then finding that interview kind of confirms it...
I'm still fumming at Robo dying in such a gratuitous, meaningless way in CC. Like he was nothing but a c-list fodder.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Shintani would be pretty great if they do go different, Broly's art style is so fucking good, perfectly brought DBZ's style into HD.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A CT remake should at least be influenced.

A third entry? It could be anyone, it just needs to look good. Toriyama was part of the Dream Team because of the Dragon Quest connection, so picture a modern, popular artist that Square could use as a selling point.

Also, hey Square, pls call me, I have ideas! I can draw a little bit!

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's so overexposed. So many of his stylistic choices are too recognizable at this point.

Build from his style, as its still intrinsic to the DNA of that franchise, but don't be beholden to it.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
There will never be another Chrono game.

And it's kind of remarkable actually. Chrono Trigger is one of the most renowned games of all time, and Square Enix has calculated it is in their best interest to do nothing with it. They will do full scale remakes of Mana games and actual new installments in the SaGa series, but Chrono is considered a lesser series. It's kinda nuts actually.

But I guess it's actually not that surprising if you consider how separated the key people of that team are now. I doubt many of the key people behind Trigger or Cross are still at Square.

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The Toriyama art would be preferable.

And I don't think I would want Square to make this game. It would be worse than Chrono Cross, which wasn't very good.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say peak Toriyama was Namek, but I honestly just loved his DB to mid DBZ art. It actually makes me kind of sad looking at his art now
bN5NBfq.jpg
If they ever do a modern Chrono game, this is what they need to use as a reference.

Toriyama's current style is to simplified (compared to his DB) as if he were doing a favor for the studios that would need to animate his characters for an anime.

Needs to lean more towards his older illustration style instead of the official promo material/ character sheet design.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. I liked it WAYYY better than cross. Cross character designs felt cosplay-ey and didn't age as well in my opinion. I played both at each of their respective releases and art style stood out to me in the second as too Final Fantasy like.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still fumming at Robo dying in such a gratuitous, meaningless way in CC. Like he was nothing but a c-list fodder.
Nothing meaningless about it. He made a sacrifice for the greater good. Plus, he must have known full well that his death would be reverted at the end of the adventure since the defeat of the Time Devourer means the future is altered.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda, not really? I've never like Toriyama's art that much and Chrono Trigger's sprite work was just low fidelity enough to obscure a lot of his style.

I wouldn't mind him coming back to help design monsters and fiends for ~600 A.D., though.

Nov 5, 2017
Despite Trigger being literally the only time I've cared for Toriyama's style, nah. Bring on a new artist; I like the idea of each Chrono game having its own unique look.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
no i don't have any affinity for toriyama as an artist

sometimes i feel like if they make a "new" chrono game it's gonna ignore chrono cross completely

and if that's the case then it can STAY DEAD

Oct 2, 2018
Ive never played CT2 despite owning it. Couldn't get into it.

Good?

Anyhow, I have no faith that SE can do a good sequel.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
Something different...or akin to Chrono Cross. As much as I love CT... literally my top 3 games ever... I think the style of CC is better and more unique.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
As long as they ignore Chrono Cross they could do whatever they want, but honestly I don't have faith in Square Enix enough to pull it off anymore.

They would just turn it into Shonen Anime.
They can't even focus making a story with a concise beginning, middle, and end anymore, now, with time travel in the mix, bleh.

Last edited:

Blankman

Banned
May 24, 2020
No, Toriyama style was favored for budget friendly development. I would want a third chronotrigger game to have the FF7 Remake treatment visually.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
There will never be another Chrono game.

And it's kind of remarkable actually. Chrono Trigger is one of the most renowned games of all time, and Square Enix has calculated it is in their best interest to do nothing with it. They will do full scale remakes of Mana games and actual new installments in the SaGa series, but Chrono is considered a lesser series. It's kinda nuts actually.

But I guess it's actually not that surprising if you consider how separated the key people of that team are now. I doubt many of the key people behind Trigger or Cross are still at Square.

i think it's simply do to lack of creative talent revolving around the series, as you alluded to. there's just no "there" there moving it forward as an IP

even if SE gave one of their up and comers carte blanche with Chrono 3 they probably wouldn't even know where to begin

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
No, Toriyama style was favored for budget friendly development. I would want a third chronotrigger game to have the FF7 Remake treatment visually.

Really? You want a realistic looking Chrono game? What a way to suck out all the style.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
While I hate Chrono Cross, I do prefer its art style to Toriyama's any day of the week. Go with that or something new.