• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If the coronavirus causes another delay for The Last of Us Part II, the smart move would be to delay the game and spend that extra time optimizing it for the PS5.
We obviously don't know what the launch lineup looks like just yet, but having arguably one of their biggest first-party games ever launching alongside the PS5 seems like a smart move, especially when their competitor is doing something similar with Halo: Infinite.

Admittedly, The Last of Us also might not be the best game to launch in the midst of a global pandemic.
Think that could happen?

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why delay it an entire 5 months?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I feel like the fan base will not be very pleased with delaying the game an additional 6 months.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
So in light of the recent story of crunch at Naughty Dog and how the delays if anything have made it worse, you want them to spend 5 months making it their flagship game for the PS5?

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I would be surprised if they weren't working on a PS5 patch/update for the game already considering how close the game will launch to the PS5's launch (probably 4-5 months).

I personally don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't see how it could hurt the game's sales at all.

Apr 21, 2018
As much as I want TLOU2, from a business and marketing perspective, delaying until the launch day of PS5 would be a brilliant decision.

I mean, COVID-19 aside, look at what BOTW did for Switch's launch.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Advertise it all these years for PS4 and then just say sorry bros, it's PS5 now ... That'll go well with the PS4 base.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed with OP.

So your plan is to crunch even harder than they already are to port it to PS5 in time for launch?

I mean, they must have been developing it with PS5 target hardware in mind? I assume the PS5 hardware team has been working very closely with Naughty Dog as well. I can't fathom that being an afterthought.. but what do I know.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh

Why not just release it and have it patched and ready for PS5? Why does it matter if the game comes soon or near PS5?

I am not even getting the game but to delay it for 5 months or so just cause of the PS5 sounds stupid to me. Not everyone is grabbing it on PS5 and there is little reason to hold a version that is ready cause they will have a patched version for PS5.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, they must have been developing it with PS5 target hardware in mind? I assume the PS5 hardware team has been working very closely with Naughty Dog as well. I can't fathom that being an afterthought.. but what do I know.
It's a Playstation 4 game. There has been nothing indicating otherwise except people's hopes, dreams, and wild speculations.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
We will see. In about a month we will know at the lastest. If there is no we went gold picture (of course with proper social distancing), it will be delayed.

Jason also pretty much said no game beyond April is safe.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony launched God of War II on PS2 four months after PS3 launched. I don't see this game receiving a PS5 version at release, even if there's a delay. There's no real need for it. Sony isn't in the same type of position Nintendo was when they launched Switch with BotW.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Because we could be looking at a delay of at least a few months anyways. Putting on the PS5 at launch just seems like a good idea, if they're going to delay it either way. Why not another month or two and have it on the new console?
Its gonna be playable on the new console regardless. and as far as I know, most devs at ND are already working from home, so I don't see any reason for delays, unless their servers blow up and waste 5 months of work. Working from home isn't much different from working at work as a dev. I am doing it now for a few days and honestly, productivity went up since there are less time consuming meetings and more time to work and less distractions of open floor plan studios. Its obviously not ideal, but I highly doubt it would delay any work more than a few days at best.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
If they delay the game it will be because of other reasons, and nothing to do with the PS5

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Got very little hype for the game as of right now, and I do believe waiting will pay off, so I'm in favor of any delay.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
COVID is hitting the threads on the gaming side of Era in some weird ways.

OP
OP
Sleve McDichael

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Its gonna be playable on the new console regardless. and as far as I know, most devs at ND are already working from home, so I don't see any reason for delays, unless their servers blow up and waste 5 months of work. Working from home isn't much different from working at work as a dev. I am doing it now for a few days and honestly, productivity went up since there are less time consuming meetings and more time to work and less distractions of open floor plan studios. Its obviously not ideal, but I highly doubt it would delay any work more than a few days at best.
Sure, I'm just throwing out a hypothetical. IF they choose to delay the game because of the coronavirus, putting in September or October might not be the best idea.
IF it gets to that point, I think releasing it with a PS5 optimized patch at the launch of the new console would be a smart move. That's all.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Admittedly, The Last of Us also might not be the best game to launch in the midst of a global pandemic.

See, this is probably more of a concern at ND to get it out of the door on time. As things go on, it's going to look more and more like ghoulish entertainment and a questionable release.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only reason they would delay it again is if they think the virus will have some financial impact on the game launch

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
I think at this point its safe to assume that anything with a 2020 release date may get delayed at some point. Anything from PC hardware to games to movies.
This pandemic is only in the early stages in majority of the world and things will get worse.

Following the above, it wouldn't make any sense to delay game for PS5 release if the console may be delayed as well.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if they decide to delay. Marketing a game with its themes will be challenging in this climate.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a really dumb idea from ND and Sony's perspective.

As an individual, if TLOU2 were releasing just a couple months from PS5, then I would be very tempted to wait.