• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

If the PS5 digital is $399 and the PS5 physical is $499, which will you buy?

• Digital edition

Votes: 940 33.7%
  • Physical edition

Votes: 1,846 66.3%

• Total voters

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Why on earth would the price be that different between the two machines? That's madness
In order to undercut the series x and to sit closer to the series s. I am confident that Sony is willing to sell the digital at a bigger loss than just component cost, which they can with guaranteed digital sales.

Oct 27, 2017
I plan to buy the physical model...when it's $399. I'm willing to wait for price drops if it ends up being that expensive.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Physical so I can share my games with friends easier. That aside, I would end up spending just as much, if not more, on extra space with digital since <1TB is not enough for digital only.
What do you mean? Physical games take just as much space on your hard drive. You'll have to expand storage either way.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Physical.

I have no way to buy 4k movies digitally on PS4 right now, if I did that might push me into going with the digital PS5.

I do have a bunch of 4k physical movies and PS4 physical games so for now i'm all in on physical.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Digital
  1. Because physical drives break down: My PS4's drive randomly makes gagging noises at 2AM for no reason
  2. Last physical game bought was Arkham Knight and I don't buy physical movies
May consider Physical if BCC comes back for PS2-3 (doubtful)

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
digital, even if the price diff is smaller

1) i live in a small place, and im already struggling with room for my existing collection
2) i hate having to swap discs when i feel like playing something just for a bit
3) the appeal of physical boxes have gone down to near 0 during this gen anyway, you don't even get a proper manual anymore, the boxes themselves are super flimsy, and frankly majority of box arts are generic anyway.

bonus: discs are literally just drm checks even with this gen, all games need to be installed anyway.

BC-2

Dec 3, 2018
Digital. I'm not getting rid of my PS4, so I have no worries about being able to play the few discs that I still have. Another reason is that I still have to download all the games to a HDD/SSD regardless of physical or digital. I also hate switching discs lmao.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Physical.

99% of my game purchases these days are digital, but I still have enough physical PS4 games that I will want a CD drive.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Physical edition simply because I have too many PS4 games I would want to play from disc even though I'm migrating to digital for new purchases

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I'd sell my PS4 and still buy the physical edition. Although I've leaned more towards getting games digitally when they go on sale, I still like the option of buying used physical games, especially if publishers largely decide to make $70 the MSRP next gen.

I'm currently playing Death Stranding which I got for $18 at Best Buy a couple weeks ago on sale. While I'm sure it'll hit that price digitally in the next half a year or so, I liked being able to go out and buy it when my local store had it on sale. A $100 price difference is worth that option to me + playing my current PS4 physical titles.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Too many games have terrible digital sales but go dirt cheap physically (Mostly talking the Niche Side of things here). So I always want that option.
IMO, Digital Only really only works if either
A. You buy a lot of Content Day 1
B. You don't buy a lot, thus don't mind paying full price on older content
C. You of course don't mind the trade-off and prefer the other benefits digital has over physical

Digital day one is like 30% more than physical here so wouldn't work.

Nov 1, 2017
Physical for a couple reasons:

1) Just in case.
2) There's a shop in L.A. that breaks street date, and on certain titles I'll be very impatient.
3) Another UHD player in the house.

It's basically just security. I've been digital-only on purchases for the last couple years, though.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand why someone who doesn't have the luxury to buy as they feel like would take the $100 off. But for me I see it as that's the price of 1 game or damn close to it. It's not worth not having even the remote option to not be able to play one of the blu-rays I have in my house as I'd be getting rid of my PS4 when I get the PS5.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
the digital could be 299 bucks and I'd still go physical mostly because I still resell my games. The amount of money I save with that easily surpasses 200 bucks over a whole generation.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty dead set on the physical version unless it's over $150 more. Even if it was $200 more I'd consider it, though more then that I'd get the digital version and a standalone BluRay player. Disc games frequently go on sale for less then physical games, it doesn't take that many purchases for an extra $100 to pay for itself.

I do like the profile of the digital version more though.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Physical, for the day when Sony adds disc-based backwards compatibility for PS1, 2, and 3

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Physical. People who are buying the digital only model are thinking about the short term & not the long term. There are plenty of flaws with being digital only.

1.) You can't re-sell digital copies of games like you can with physical.

2.) Digital gaming prices are always at full prices the majority of the time on consoles, while physical copies of games usually gets discounted after a certain while.

3.) If you happen to somehow get banned from PSN, all of your games are locked to the platform & you can't ever play them again.

4.) What would happen if a company de-lists a game in which it gets taken off of the PS store from either licensing issues on certain games running out? Obviously you can re-download the games if you happen to buy them, but if for some reason they decide to take those games off of PSN servers entirely? If something awful happens to either your console, or if your HDD or SDD somehow gets corrupted & needs to be reformatted, there goes everything that you bought & downloaded.

5.) Then there's also the issue with data caps that a lot of people may have, plus downloading full versions of games takes a century.

At least with physical, we're guaranteed to replay the same games that we bought over & over until we decide to either give them away or trade them for another game. Plus you would also get a UHD Blu-Ray player by buying the physical model, too.

Last edited:

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'd go with digital, I'm mostly digital anyways and the few disc based games I wanted to keep I traded in and bought on digital when they were cheap.

It's good to have options, but at a $100 difference I might be swayed, at $50 I would probably go with disc.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Physical.

Zero interest in going digital at those prices, plus getting games early and cheaper is cool as is the ability to sell.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Physical no matter the cost.

I have all my PS4 discs to think about, and digital means higher prices, not owning the games and hours to install games rather than seconds/minutes.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I'm all digital this gen but if PS5 is a full featured 4K Blu-ray player then I'll go for the disc one.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am already waiting for the Pro versions but if i was buying at launch this would cause me not to buy either versions. It's a really big fuck you to the userbase and i don't get the championing for this to actually happening. The difference in cost is not a 100$/€.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Physical. People who are buying the digital only model are thinking about the short term & not the long term.

1.) You can't re-sell digital copies of games like you can with physical.

2.) Digital gaming prices are always at full prices the majority of the time on consoles, while physical copies of games usually gets discounted after a certain while.

3.) If you happen to somehow get banned from PSN, all of your games are locked to the platform & you can't ever play them again.

4.) What would happen if a company de-lists a game in which it gets taken off of the PS store from either licensing issues on certain games running out, or even taken off of PSN servers entirely? If something awful happens to either your console, or if your HDD or SDD somehow gets corrupted & needs to be reformatted, there goes everything that you bought & downloaded.

At least with physical, we're guaranteed to replay the same games that we bought over & over until we decide to either give them away or trade them for another game.
1) I don't resell games

2) Digital games go on sale all the time. Yes you have to catch it but those old games you are talking about are the ones that are always included when sales go on. I feel like the Witcher 3 is on sale every other week along with every AC.

3) I've been a member of PSN since it's inception and have never been banned so I think I'll be okay.

4) delisted games can be redownloaded, SSDs fail less than HDD, and disc getting messed is just as likely as an SSD going bad.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Physical for me. Incredibly easy choice. 4k blu-ray player worth more than $100, plus renting and resale. I only buy lengthy RPGs and GaaS titles digital, as the money I get back from selling games is crucial in me keeping up with the hobby.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Definitely digital all the way. I've only bought two physical games in the whole lifespan of me owning a PS4

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already digital, i'll keep going digital, I've got no reason to have a disc drive on a new console

i haven't had one on my PC in over a decade

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already fully digital, so that's the one I'm buying regardless. I'm giving away the few disc based games I have to get the digital equivalent. The convenience can't be beat for me. I don't really give a shit about resale value.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I prefer physical in general, but even if I didn't with regional pricing digital PS4 games launch at $90-$110 here while I can find physical for $70-$90.

I'd make back the $100 very quickly.

Oct 25, 2017
Just sold my last disc game on PS4 so digitally. With prices so high now ($89.99 looks like for games here in Canada) I can save money buying PSN cards at Costco and no tax on PSN makes it sting a bit less. Plus I hate having shit laying around.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
If the difference is only $100, that's well worth having compatibility with physical titles. No way am I jumping on the all-digital train.