• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Any argument I would've made has already been addressed. I would just bring up how much it would fuck over gaming preservation more when it is already a difficult task.

People always miss the absolute killer. Even if you are the non-existent demographic with hot shit internet, interest in high end gaming but no console or pc you need to consider:

1. You live in a house with other people, including yourself, who like to use the internet for downloading files, watching shows or just general browsing.

Think about it. How the fuck would you play a game like red dead redemption 2? You are riding along, realising you are going to spend the next 10 minutes doing absolutely fuck all like an idiot. You reach for your phone ... but nope you can't use bandwidth so what are you going to do? Well all you can do is sit there and watch a horses ass as you grow older and hurtle towards an inevitable death.

The more connected you are, the less streaming works. It is not the future.
Going to bump this too and I and several friends of mine can relate to this.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't care about platform exclusives, don't watch Digital Foundry videos, or haven't ever considered input lag when buying a TV, then I can see why Stadia would be appealing.

I think it will make a lot of sense to the kinds of players who don't get excited about new hardware, and will pick up a next-gen console 2-3 years after its launch when a game they want isn't available on what they own.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
For me if it works and if the price proposition is sound (both of those are TBD determined right now) I'm probably going to be all in on a streaming service. Getting out of the console & PC upgrade cycles is highly appealing to me, being able to play next gen games at no or low (if going with the Chromecast and/or controller route) cost is a lot better than spending $400-500.

I recognize many people care about the issues Sankara raised in their post but for me they are either things I don't care about or are already exposed to in some way.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
No way a streaming game will feel the same as a local game, no way.
Even if we assume that it feels the same, the performance of the game is not in your hand:
no internet = you cannot play
Spikes in internet = performance hit
Problem from the source server = cannot play
End of subscription = cannot play

Morover, there is additional costs if you have Data caps.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
How is pointing out the fact that we don't have any real studies on the environmental footprint between cloud gaming versus local gaming a massive reach?
How is pointing out the fact that we don't have any real studies on the environmental footprint between cloud gaming versus local gaming a massive reach?
Intuitively: you're going to have a hard time convincing me that a consumer device is more energy effient and has a more sustainable power source than a mass scale data centre

Financially: at scale there is huge incentive for MS (and other cloud providers) to absolutely minimise power inefficiency - power is money and that adds up fast at scale

Evidentlially: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/global-infrastructure/ - MS is carbon neutral

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
-Everybody and their mother is going to want in on the so-called "streaming future," so expect multiple subscriptions in order to have access to even a decent number of exclusives.
-Want to play a game after a long day? Too bad, the latest AAA blockbuster just hit and servers are full everywhere, you're either going to be stuck in a queue, redirected to a server in another time zone, or both.
-Or even better, want to play an indie title that released a few years ago? Nobody plays it anymore, so that's on a server halfway across the world. It's either going to have to be cloned onto a server nearby (you're going to have to wait a while, depending on the connection between the two servers) or you're going to have to deal with poor performance.
-There's no such thing as a free lunch, so even if the service you're subscribed to has a free option with reduced features and IQ, you're going to be fed ads in some way.
EDIT:-Steaming services may advertise higher framerates and resolutions, but will they enforce these features? What if the game you're playing is locked to 4k/60 fps maximum, and you have an 8k/120hz monitor?
-What if a streaming services updates their hardware/software and your game is suddenly incompatible?

Honestly, an all-streaming future is a nightmare scenario, even without taking into account bandwidth or latency.

Last edited:

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
My (personal) experience is the opposite.

Older gamers have more disposable income, but don't really care all that much about playing the latest games at release. Consoles are bought 2-3 years in, not at launch, so $249-300 or so at most. The investment is more than worth it because consoles double as media boxes (DVD/BRD/Netflix/Amazon Video/HBO/Spotify) so the investment is more than worth it outside of "just games."

Extra controllers are pointless if you don't game much- they're not really prone to breaking. There's no shortage of interesting games clogging the shelves at best buy or amazon for $19.99 new.

You'll take that $19.99 game and spend 5 or 6 months working your way through it, because game time is at a premium.

If you're not gaming very much, a recurring bill of $9.99 a month for Stadia makes very little sense.

edit: My wife is even worse about this than I am. She's only interested in playing ONE game. It's a PS3 game she's been playing since 2009, she'll play for a couple hours a week, and has no interest in anything else. She WILL use the PS3 and PS4 as media boxes though.
I completely agree with you here. Game time is indeed at a premium when you get older, as many of us can barely finish a game per month (or 2, 3,4 ...).

It is very rare that I buy games at launch, as I'm always so behind. When I do, most of the time I end up paying $20~40. I have no reason to pay a monthly fee for Stadia on top of paying full price for game. Even if it becomes a "Netflix of gaming", where we pay $50 or so per month and have access to its entire library.. why would I pay it if I don''t even have time to wrap a single game in one month?

Besides, in the few hours I have to game per week I definitely don't want to worry about my connection or dealing with lag. Imagine finally having some hours off on a Friday night after an intense week of work and not being able to play due to internet issues.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think one of the main issues would be service disruptions, like what happened with PSN today. When PSN/Xbox Live goes down, you can still play your games. If this happens to Stadia/xCloud, then I would imagine you won't be able to play anything.

This is why I'm hesitant. I use Bell, and they go down once a week, anywhere from hours to a day, for whatever reason. No internet, no streaming, no games.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
It'll cost me ÂŁ25 a month if i want to play Division 2 at 4K/60( ubi sub/Stadia sub).... Cant mod it, Cant lend it anyone, Cant sell it, Might cut out on me, Will probably lose picture quality when others in the house use the internet, Not even sure what happens too it if i dont pay the 4K sub.

Or i could just buy it on console/PC and not worry about any of that.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
You have no reason to. Congratulations! You are part of their main demo and will probably love this thing.

I personally like owning my games and modding them as I see fit. Not passing up on either. You do you and enjoy yourself.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who used Nvidias equivalent to this for 6 or more months, honestly it was good, very good but not without some issues, take a look.

- Internet Glitches if this happened gave the game glitches, in some cases it would have a little connection bar like a mobile would & sometimes would lose signal & disconnect you from the game server
- Used Quite a bit of Bandwidth
- if your internet is down, no gaming
- if their servers are down no gaming
- Nvidia time limit it was 4 hours straight play then you had to save if you were able too, probably to free up server time/space for others users, though you were allowed to reconnect for another session right away.
- Needed a solid 5ghz WiFi connection, 2.4ghz Wi-Fi forget it, Ethernet cable direct is going to give you the best option, so in some cases you may need to upgrade your router or Ethernet solutions.
- Have to purchase the Game (best part about Nvidias was their game loud used a steam client in the cloud on a virtual P.C exactly like stadia, but using Steam instead of google so even if Nvidias GeForce shuts down permanently I just load up steam on a p.c & boom play direct from my library like I u always did, i.e I still own the games on steam, that's far superior to google because we know Steam is still a thing for now, how long will Google's stadias games last! Will you lose access to them if they go down)
- Nvidias went from ÂŁ7.99 per month to Free - The others charge

ProLogY

Banned
May 19, 2018
The day the those three points are true is the day I fully abandon local PC or console gaming. Streaming in my eyes is the future. No waiting on install times, ability to play anywhere on any device. It's a potential Netflix moment for gaming and I'm all in.

But people will have concerns over ownership, modding and offline play among many other things.

In my eyes the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, but I understand where people are coming from.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm fine with the people who want to have streaming as an option but if it ever replaces the normal means I've got a fine set of games to replay until I die.

The idea of paying a monthly sub fee on top of paying for the game is silly when I do the math in my head. Even publisher specific shops like Ubisofts thing is so silly to me. To imagine paying 180 dollars a year to play maybe one or two games on them. Maybe other people get the value out of it and I'm happy for them, but subscriptions are another way for pubs to nickel and dime people to me.

Nothing I've seen out of the western market or AAA industry (Or ISPs for that matter) in general leads me to believe that with the way the internet is being run now, and with the way gaming is being run now, that any of these things will be to the benefit of the consumer. I'm happy for the people who don't have to think about that, like OP with no data caps and such, but I'd rather pay 200-300 and get a console that lasts me years at a time than pay 180 a month with a vague promise of "content" down the line.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo games.
PSN went down today, how fun will it be when your streaming service goes down after you've had a busy day at work and instead of being able to relax for the night playing a fun game you're just faced with an error screen and no other gaming alternative.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First few posts on point. Streaming is wonderful as an option and I think as many people should be able to play how they want. But if streaming ever becomes the only option then gaming as we know it is dead. First post sums it up quite well

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
What is the max framerate? Will it support 144hz or 165hz or 200hz or 240hz? Probably may have been asked and answered already. sorry about that.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
If everything works as you describe, then yeah there's no reason to own local hardware. If nothing works as advertised, no one's going to want it. But I think the reality is between the two. For the foreseeable future, I think streaming is going to be a somewhat compromised experience, either via latency or compression or data caps or ...

I see Stadia and xCloud as approaching this differently, Stadia is "let's replace high priced PCs" while xCloud is "let's expand the places people can play." xCloud doesn't want to replace the Xbox, it wants to be in addition to it, allowing you to play when you can't be home in front of your TV. Which approach you prefer really depends on how soon you think they can hit the platonic ideal you describe.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Nintendo games.
PSN went down today, how fun will it be when your streaming service goes down after you've had a busy day at work and instead of being able to relax for the night playing a fun game you're just faced with an error screen and no other gaming alternative.

I think that probably depends on the person. Gaming is my favorite hobby but it's not my only hobby so if the servers were having an issue one night I would just do something else. If it was something that happened frequently then yes that would be an issue but if it's a relatively uncommon occurrence I don't see it being a big deal.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My (personal) experience is the opposite.

Older gamers have more disposable income, but don't really care all that much about playing the latest games at release. Consoles are bought 2-3 years in, not at launch, so $249-300 or so at most. The investment is more than worth it because consoles double as media boxes (DVD/BRD/Netflix/Amazon Video/HBO/Spotify) so the investment is more than worth it outside of "just games."

Extra controllers are pointless if you don't game much- they're not really prone to breaking. There's no shortage of interesting games clogging the shelves at best buy or amazon for $19.99 new.

You'll take that $19.99 game and spend 5 or 6 months working your way through it, because game time is at a premium.

If you're not gaming very much, a recurring bill of $9.99 a month for Stadia makes very little sense.

edit: My wife is even worse about this than I am. She's only interested in playing ONE game. It's a PS3 game she's been playing since 2009, she'll play for a couple hours a week, and has no interest in anything else. She WILL use the PS3 and PS4 as media boxes though.
Knowing myself, 35 years old, I rarely play console games anymore. nor do I want to keep upgrading my computer since I dont have the time to be honest. I rather skip the big upfront cost and pay 10 bucks a month and a game from time to time. Even the PS5/next Xbox arent getting me exited anymore and I doubt I can justify paying for one just for the two or three games I will buy for it. So especially with most titles being Multiplatform, stadia looks like a pretty attractive solution for me. Heck I can just load it up on my Ipad in my lap, with controller in hand and play an hour in bed before sleep or something and then continue on my home office PC, or on the couch at the big TV.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because if they shut down you'll lose access to all your games, have they talked about what would happen (especially given their track record on long term support). If they shut it down?

Also what about third party softwares. A closed PC ecosystem. Isn't a PC ecosystem.

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Data cap issue is interesting, but all it takes is one ISP wanting greater marketshare to offer a "unlimited gaming/4K streaming" plan and the other ISPs are suddenly forced to have to react to that. Data bandwidth is something ISPs are more apt to give away before anything else.
Not when you only have 1 ISP available.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck playing offline! :D
in Europe here, I can count the total time when there was no internet when I needed it in under a minute total for the past 5 years. I personally dont care about playing offline. I dont mind being connected to a server all the time, no data caps so it doesnt cost me any extra (and this is not a rare situation here)

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Input lag will always be a thing. It's currently a thing even on your own wi-fi, now pretend you're ping-ponging to Canada and back as ISP's route you in circles.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
in Europe here, I can count the total time when there was no internet when I needed it in under a minute total for the past 5 years. I personally dont care about playing offline. I dont mind being connected to a server all the time, no data caps so it doesnt cost me any extra (and this is not a rare situation here)
I was thinking the same thing, I work in IT and need reliable access. On the last 15 years I have used DSL/cable/fiber from over 5 different providers to my house and cannot think of any time I had an extended downtime.

I'm in Canada

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
As long as there is input lag i won't play it. once that's gone then yea i'll sub. also i saw someone say they dont know what the impact on the environment would be compared to consoles but im kind of confused by this. how would streaming platforms be worse for the environment?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Naw I'm good.
Even if I lived in a place where Internet was cheap and reliable (not the USA), there are far too many games that will never end up on this service.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well you just answered your own question.

If you don't care about digital ownership then streaming would be a fantastic option. The problem is that for many, including myself, ownership is very important.

The problem with streaming services is that they can be very fluid in regards to content. Netflix is a fantastic example of this as much of their content can and does get removed consistently. Sometimes it comes back and sometimes it is gone for good which means if I actually want unfettered access to ALL my games, streaming can never replace actual ownership.

I'm not against streaming and I might very well subscribe to such a service but it would never entirely supplant my investment in console gaming because I don't want to be beholden to the whims of my streaming provider and discover that one day a certain game I love is no longer available.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
In home streaming would be like 5-15ms

If I remember correctly, 24ms is around 1 frame of input lag at 60fps.
1 frame at 60fps is 16ms, 33ms at 30fps. The thing is, people throw around ms figures here and complain about latency without trying out the service, and how many here can notice one frame of lag, or two or even three?

For reference, some input latency tests by DF and NX gamer on some popular games:

Doom ~ 80ms
Killzone SF ~ 110ms
Halo 5 ~ 120ms
Forza Horizon 3 ~ 170ms

So when looking at this we can see that Forza Horizon 3 actually has about 5 frames of latency.
Totally unplayable game, right? ;)

Last edited:

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Reason number one to own a console would be exclusives.
Other than that I just have to say that I was starting to move to all digital but then the tell tales fiasco just happened and I'm regretting "buying" any of the digital games I got on PSN

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I think there is an untapped market for it.
I don't think it will be replacing the current model but can coexist.
Anything that can expand the market further is a good thing in my opinion.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
1. Editing files and modding are gone
2. You won't be able to play these games once/if they leave the service or you stop paying Google / Microsoft
3. The companies will most likely use your personal data to conduct advertising surveillance on you
4. Both developers and consumers hand over even more power and control over to these giant companies
5. If the Internet is ever down, you won't have access to any of these games.
6. We are not sure about the environmental footprint compared to physical consoles.
7. Say goodbye to videogame preservation and people being able to play classic games that helped form the video game culture and legacy. That in itself should be a huge dealbreaker, imo.
All of the above except for number 6
Oh no we do know this one and the answer is that there is no amount of code wizardry that makes the amount of electricity consumed through streaming that's gonna be less than a local execution context . Balance out the load all you want even through shared rendering at the very best you'll be consuming just a bit more than local execution but not equal footprint and never is it gonna be less ...
Which is why on the other hand getting Flight Simulator on streaming yeah it does make sense here distributed calculation does a great deal of help to have real good visuals that you wouldn't have at home anyway because of the sheer madness of the rendering distances you have to handle in a flight simulator context . That makes it a game where making stream only is ironically better for the environement but the titles that check that box are few and far between .

Microsoft was actually real clever and real smart in making their next installement of their flight simulator series a streaming based title for all kinds of reasons but the bigger reasons is "Hey you want to fly a plane not just for the sole pleasure of knowing how to fly one of those babies ? How about we finaly do away with blocky gerometry grounds because now thanks to distributed calculation we can delvier you insanely beautifull graphics ?"

That was one way of making people go "Yeah in fact there would be some edge cases where streaming the game from a data center is a desirable thing to happen"

Hell I'm willing to bet that Beyond Good & Evil 2 that insane engine that seamlessly transition from space to surface of a planet , they are building that sucker for either Stadia or X-Cloud or both just so that they can
1 - Let Michel Ancel's crazy gameplay ideas run wild
2 - Just simply wow you with a game that would not run localy regardless of how big you PC gaming rig is .

Last edited:

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
If xCloud or Stadia can work as good as local hardware I don't find any reason to buy a console anymore. But it's a big IF for now.

Oct 25, 2017
You are trading reliability for convenience but take care. It's easy when something has never been a problem to take it for granted and not understand that something is being given up.

My advice as someone who has to support a high-scale service, I wouldn't trust the network for anything, not for privacy, not for reliability, not for performance. If you want to solve any of those problems, you make the thing run locally.

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of paying a monthly sub fee on top of paying for the game is silly when I do the math in my head. Even publisher specific shops like Ubisofts thing is so silly to me. To imagine paying 180 dollars a year to play maybe one or two games on them. Maybe other people get the value out of it and I'm happy for them, but subscriptions are another way for pubs to nickel and dime people to me.
The majority of players are already paying a subscription fee on top of paying for games. The subs are called Xbox Live Gold and Playstation Plus, which are required to allow a game to go online, required for the biggest games out there.

Also Stadia does not require a subscription if you're fine with 1080p.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Let's assume 3 things.

1. There is no discernable difference in lag between playing a game on a streaming service and a local device.
2. The streaming services have better visuals due to upgrading hardware every few years.
3. Almost all the major third-party games are on streaming services.

I have no data caps. And my speed test means I get max performance.

I also don't care about "owning" games. Basically, I'm asking if everything actually works as described in my home wouldn't it not only be good enough it would actually be better? What is the argument against streaming games taking over for people like me?

I don't think #1 will be possible, barring some major breakthrough in technology. #2 would be very expensive to do.

I think Microsoft has the right idea. Streaming is for supplementary purposes. It can't replicate dedicated hardware on the big screen in your living room or at your desktop, but it can be good to play on the go.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
There's no telling what the future holds but I don't see myself going streaming only ever. There are certain classic games that I'd like to play until the day I die that may never be included.

That said the idea of streamed games along side my collection would be great. I pass over a lot of titles that I don't want to spend money on or just don't think I have time for. Being able to have access to a massive streamed library would change how I play games. I would be able to experience so many more titles (and probably complete much less). I can see the average game length being shorter when streaming is the norm. Developers will likely feel less need to bloat games with perceived value content and rather craft an experience that will hook you from the start and never slow down. This will be important in a world where everyone has access to everything and installation times don't exist.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Something about these types of services just makes me feel funny. Like, I'm fine having a digital collection. I download everything to a harddrive. Its mine. Only owning a license to a game in the cloud feels.... funny to me. Like, I sorta got used to that with TV. Maybe I would with games.

But yeah, most of my gaming interests are console exclusives as well. In fact, I can't really think of any non-indie multiplatform title I've cared about in recent times. Like, I'll buy the occasional AC games when they're on sale, but I've never finished one and don't think that's going to change any time soon. So... not in the target market I don't think. If Nintendo or Sony ever move to streaming only, I'll care then.

Kelvin

Oct 27, 2017
For people who worry about owning the game or mod etc, you guys should check out blade shadow PC.
basically it is a streaming service that give you a full window 10 PC, so you can do a lot more then play game.

but there are also some down side to the service:
1) It is only officially available in some US, UK and EU city (however you can always fake a address which is what I am doing currently)
2) you only get 256GB for now, there is plan for extra storage space but there is not announcement for when or does it cost anything
3) the lag is noticeable but I think it is due to I am accessing the server from Asia and not in US or UK area
4) Blade shadow advertise they will upgrade the hardware when newer, better come out but so far they only upgrade the CPU so there isn't any road map for hardware upgrade

Thing I like about the service:
1) you get a full window 10 and so I can actually do work and other thing on the machine other the gaming
2) there is also a iOS and android app, so if you find good wifi or have unlimited 4G plan you can really game on the go
3) If I want I can get game pass or other service on top of my shadow pc service

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
1 frame at 60fps is 16ms, 33ms at 30fps. The thing is, people throw around ms figures here and complain about latency without trying out the service, and how many here can notice one frame of lag, or two or even three?

For reference, some input latency tests by DF and NX gamer on some popular games:

Doom ~ 80ms
Killzone SF ~ 110ms
Halo 5 ~ 120ms
Forza Horizon 3 ~ 170ms

So when looking at this we can see that Forza Horizon 3 actually has about 5 frames of latency.
Totally unplayable game, right? ;)
Halo 5 is 65ms and people were complaining about how Halo 5 controlled for years. I'm doubting the Forza number but Killzone sounds about right for how sluggish it's aiming was. If you play shooters seriously you will notice 1 frame of input lag. If you play fighting games at all you will absolutely notice 1 frame of lag, most modern fighting games even add this as a training option for when you're playing online against laggy people.

GusFacsimile

Oct 25, 2017
Input lag will always be a thing. It's currently a thing even on your own wi-fi, now pretend you're ping-ponging to Canada and back as ISP's route you in circles.
Not if Elon Musk's satellite Internet takes off. His goal for first gen is 20ms, worldwide connectivity. If this becomes reality then gaming will go full streaming for sure.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
The majority of players are already paying a subscription fee on top of paying for games. The subs are called Xbox Live Gold and Playstation Plus, which are required to allow a game to go online, required for the biggest games out there.

Also Stadia does not require a subscription if you're fine with 1080p.

I never bought into those services. They don't seem worth it. But then again I'm not a fan of the "always online/multiplayer/GAAS" model either so I'm biased there.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
OP do you have anyone else at home using the internet? (latency is affected even on a high bandwidth connection)
Do you leave near a server?
Are you interested in competitive games? Interested in frame rates higher than 60fps? Modding? VR?
When a very popular game launches there is still the possibility of additional interruptions/disconnections from high Stadia/Xcloud server load in addition to whatever connection issues the game's servers will have if it is an online game. Would you mind that?
How about the the loss of quality from compression and the occasional artifacts?
Would you not use any other function of a home console/pc?

If the answer to everything i asked is no (besides the server distance obviously) then i guess streaming is perfect for you.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
As Phil Spencer said when speaking to Jeff on the Giantbomb E3 discussion a few days ago - playing on a physical console connected to your TV is always going to be the best way to play. Their approach is to give folks choice, rather than replace.

Honestly that's the only way I see streaming being successful - there's always going to be folks which want to play locally for the best experience even against a fairly best case scenario streaming experience. If you're not one of those then stream away!

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Best part about pc gaming is the control you have

I'm never giving up modding/tinkering with things like reshade