• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
Every couple of decades it seems there's a shift between local computing and remote/cloud computing. We're entering the shift of our end-user devices being stupid and connecting to remote machines that are much more capable. In the future another shift will happen where it makes sense to run software on the end-user devices again. Think in 10-12 years when you can download a Stadia client on your Android device and run the game locally. It's not viable now, but in the medium-range future it likely will be. Google used to do most of it's machine learning in the cloud, now it's allowing those models to run on end-user devices and they work just as good if not better. This is just the next logical evolution of technology. Embrace it or be left behind.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speed isn't really the main issue, the latency of a connection is big problem.

Everyone's environment is different so results are really going to vary.

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
Regarding Stadia, if I understand correctly, you need to buy games for that platform right ? If that's the case, I'm probably never buying a single game in Stadia until I have enough confidence they won't kill the service after a year or two. Google has been killing many projects they opened (recently Youtube Gaming), so how am I supposed to be sure they won't just shut down the project and I lose access to the games I bought ?

Jun 22, 2018
Because local hardware will always be a better experience.

Problems that will continue to be problems for the foreseeable future:
- Input latency - Can't overcome the speed of light, so your physical distance to a data center will always increase input latency compared to playing locally
- Audio visual compression - It takes way too much bandwidth to stream uncompressed audio and video over the web. So, these services first compress them, which results in lower quality frame data than you would get playing locally.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
You'll never get equal performanc . As mainly a PC gamer that's the number one thing for me.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I still enjoy a huge variety of games that Stadia probably won't support for a while. Plus, right now as we speak, all the call of duty (or PSN?) servers are down. I can't play any of them online, and stuff like black ops 4 is ONLY online. I just started Days Gone though and playing just fine, since my ps4 has the game on its drive and it doesn't need any online checks.

Probably 80% of my gameplay is online and I look forward to testing stadia but I still want to play a large variety of games that just won't be on stadia for a while if ever, so at best its a secondary option to me.

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Yep. That too. But if you're going to do that, as an ISP it probably makes more sense to yell from the rooftops that you offer "unlimited gaming" to make your competitors look bad, lol. "Unlimited gaming + 4K Netflix/Disney streaming" is totally going to become a perk that ISPs war over.

Because all it takes it one of the ISPs saying "fuck it we're sick of being 2nd or 3rd place, our marketing department says we can get a big chunk of new customers by offering free bandwidth and we don't really give fuck all about bandwidth anyway, so lets do it".

Exactly. You'll find in the US that a lot of data caps exist due to the ISPs also delivering traditional TV services, so they're incentivised to limit your access to internet content.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Will I be able to play stadia/MS directly using my smartphone, with a controller I usually connect to my phone? If so that would be nice!

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
And Google isn't the only one doing this... xCloud, PS Now, GeForce Now. All the major tech companies see streaming as viable now. When OnLive launched almost 10 years ago, the infrastructure wasn't there. It worked, but it wasn't a better experience than what was available on consoles/pc's so it didn't succeed. Major tech companies can see the writing on the wall and Google and Microsoft are best positioned to dominate here due to their vast Internet infrastructure footprint.

Oct 27, 2017
1. I don't like image compression if I can avoid it
2. Modding
3. I like tech stuff, and fiddling with tech stuff
4. They probably won't have all the games I want to play anyway, cause I like playing older games

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
You are the perfect target for them. There's nothing wrong if you don't mind pay each month.

I do pay for Netflix, but it's a passive way to consume media. Unless there's a Google data center in my city someday, I don't think I'll switch.

Edit: there's one in Montreal, 20ms latency, way lower than expected.
I get 15ms for Montreal and 12ms from whatever Global HTTP Load Balancer load balancer is, nice

GCPing.com

Measure latency to Google Cloud regions

To answer OP, if those criteria are met then there would be no reason outside of exclusives. Those criteria will absolutely not be met with gen 1 Stadia or xCloud though

Personally I think Stadia will be my go to next gen at least until the console prices become mainstream. I don't care enough about console exclusives anymore to justify the heavy expenditure and have had no desire to spend on a gaming PC at least for the last 10 years

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Streaming for me, is more for the convenience of being able to play on any screen or device in my house. I live in a one TV household, so I don't always have access to the big screen. I'm also pretty lucky in that I'm 4ms latency away from the nearest data center, and I have zero datacaps, and sufficient bandwidth for 4K60.

I'm not expecting an experience that beats or even rivals a local 4K60 console or PC experience.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's gonna be a fun time on Era around Christmas and all next year when you have a bunch of people spending money on Stadia games and having a shit ton of tech issues keeping a good connection going. Wait for the first big outage. lol

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because stadia and xcloud won't be the only services consumers will be paying for, all the other big publishers will be coming with their own streaming services. These publishers won't sit back whilst companies like MS and Google make profit of their work when they can do the same by cutting out the middle man, this is already happening in the TV/Movie streaming world.

I'm not paying for multiple streaming services, i'll besticking to traditional gaming.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
But there is a discernable difference in lag. Even lag differences between TVs is discernable.

And single-pass fast encoded compressed video is never going to be as good image quality as uncompressed video. No thanks to compression artefacts in my games. Games are not movies, I want and need to see every detail.

So there are two bad assumptions there before we start.

Feb 8, 2018
-You say that you do not care about owning games. Even if it means investing less (potentially significantly less) money in the long run?

-Lag isn't the only problem that can come across your way while you stream. Sudden problems on your end or externally can't magically be ruled out. Extreme weather can have an impact. Things won't be perfect by the time Stadia is released

-I'm not interested in stadia and assume that Google know what they're doing but if lag problems, even minor ones surprise people with great Up/Down speeds it would still be more problematic than the common problems you get on Discs/downloaded games that usually will be patched.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol I pre ordered stadia. But I can guarantee you it won't replace my ps5 n next box. Streaming is cool but you have input lag from two places now instead of one

Oct 25, 2017
Remember OP, you are BUYING games.

FULL PRICED games. You ain't renting them for $3. You're paying $60 for a Cloud only version forever.

If you don't care about owning $60 games, then yeah, go ahead.

And lets say Stadia one day decides to call it quits and your games vanish into thin air, are you ok with that? Stadia is still a brand new platform. Remember that.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think two of the assumptions are questionable - it probably own't be as good as a local experience, either in terms of latency or in terms of consistent AV quality. Services like xCloud and PSNow probably won't skip ahead of what's available on local boxes, and those local boxes refresh every few years too, so between that or PC options, I think point 2. is very questionable. I don't think multi-server scaling will be a big thing in practice, from economic and resource availability points of view...and the applications of distributed performance are somewhat limited compared to a single box.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
700k in 5 Years
Sony will be using xCloud technology from MS

So yes, they are not part of this discussion yet

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
700k in 5 Years
Sony will be using xCloud technology from MS

So yes, they are not part of this discussion yet

We don't know this. We know that Sony may use Azure in some form... I've heard nothing where they are specifically using xCloud technology.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
If you live in the US and don't have a data cap now, and cloud gaming takes off, don't worry, you'll have data caps soon.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
1. Editing files and modding are gone
2. You won't be able to play these games once/if they leave the service or you stop paying Google / Microsoft
3. The companies will most likely use your personal data to conduct advertising surveillance on you
4. Both developers and consumers hand over even more power and control over to these giant companies
5. If the Internet is ever down, you won't have access to any of these games.
6. We are not sure about the environmental footprint compared to physical consoles.
7. Say goodbye to videogame preservation and people being able to play classic games that helped form the video game culture and legacy. That in itself should be a huge dealbreaker, imo.
I'm fine with all of these aka I am Satan. (#6 is a massive reach). I disagree with OP point 1 which is that it'll be indiscernable from local.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
At the moment, internet issues would be the factor in streaming. I'd say my connection cuts out a few times a week, which if i've a limited time for gaming would impact that. It's happening now on PSN, making games unplayable for online modes. Google has a habit in recent times to cull projects, this might be a success for them in the long run, or it could meet the same fate as other projects like YouTube gaming.

Streaming TV is one thing, streaming games is something else as it would need less lag to work. Downloading would be the answer here.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know this. We know that Sony may use Azure in some form... I've heard nothing where they are specifically using xCloud technology.
I reread the artices, you are correct. Not clear if they will salvage PSNow tech to move over? 700k in 5 years was definately not a success.

If you live in the US and don't have a data cap now, and cloud gaming takes off, don't worry, you'll have data caps soon.
4k Streaming as been a thing for a while now

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize that streaming a game will take a magnitude more data then buffering a video? This is even ignoring 4K gaming vs 4K video streaming.
Its more. Its not that much more. You're not streaming game assets or anything your streaming what is essentially a video feed. Its obviously a bit more complex than that but the data usage sizes are entirely comparable to high-bitrate video that is currently available from most major video streaming services. Obviously there are going to be pockets of the US that are more effected by data caps than others but to act like this thing is dead in the water because of data caps when digital gaming purchases and streaming are a mainstay of online entertainment is really over stating the issue.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let's assume 3 things.

1. There is no discernable difference in lag between playing a game on a streaming service and a local device.
2. The streaming services have better visuals due to upgrading hardware every few years.
3. Almost all the major third-party games are on streaming services.

I have no data caps. And my speed test means I get max performance.

I also don't care about "owning" games. Basically, I'm asking if everything actually works as described in my home wouldn't it not only be good enough it would actually be better? What is the argument against streaming games taking over for people like me?

You are spending potentially $60 to not only rent a game but the company also gives no guarantee that you'll be able to play at the advertised specifics on your end. If something changes with the nearest Google data center or your ISP or your cable modem or your wifi or anything in between that renders your streaming quality bad, there's nothing you can do.

That's a lot of responsibility shoved on the to consumer. If you are ready and willing to work through the tech issues then have at it and enjoy. I envision a lot of people attempting to embrace the 'streaming future' and running back to local hardware fast in the Fall of 2020.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
As an Xbox user I don't see Xcloud as a replacement to my Xbox but rather a secondary way of playing. Stadia is a bit harder to justify to myself because it isn't built on an existing store meaning games you purchase there can only be played there and I'd need to double dip to play games I already own elsewhere if I want to play them on Stadia.

For me, I'll use Xcloud when I'm not at home, or even when I'm not in my room (aka toilet). But that's just me.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think going "console-less" will be a popular option for older gamers who's time/money is at a premium because they have a job/bills/kids/family/mortgage to worry about and dropping $500 + $70 for extra "new" controller for a PS5 or XBox 2 isn't high up on the priority chain and they're not 21 years old anymore where they can spend 5-6 hours a day playing video games anymore but still want to have some gaming in their life.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
1. Editing files and modding are gone
2. You won't be able to play these games once/if they leave the service or you stop paying Google / Microsoft
3. The companies will most likely use your personal data to conduct advertising surveillance on you
4. Both developers and consumers hand over even more power and control over to these giant companies
5. If the Internet is ever down, you won't have access to any of these games.
6. We are not sure about the environmental footprint compared to physical consoles.
7. Say goodbye to videogame preservation and people being able to play classic games that helped form the video game culture and legacy. That in itself should be a huge dealbreaker, imo.
1. This is a big loss but I dont expect the PC platform to suddenly die.
2. Correct, but this is also the case possibly if steam would kick the bucker, good luck downloading your game again if that happens.
3. ehhh..You are already being spied upon by google, not to mention by Sony and Microsoft. Your data has already been sold.
4. Devs also gain a few things tho, like a bigger possible market, easier access to their titles on various platforms and better security since not a single piece of game code is being placed on the users machine.
5. Well again, digital future, not specific to just Streaming.
6. This is a good point and Its already far more than playing on a local console. Data centers have a massive environmental footprint.
7. Again.. I dont ever see a streaming only future. PC platform wont suddenly die

Feb 10, 2018
1+2 won't happen for a long time.
Scarlett + PS5 will have clarity and smoothness better then streaming.
Streaming is good if you don't care about these things.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Remember OP, you are BUYING games.

FULL PRICED games. You ain't renting them for $3. You're paying $60 for a Cloud only version forever.

If you don't care about owning $60 games, then yeah, go ahead.

And lets say Stadia one day decides to call it quits and your games vanish into thin air, are you ok with that? Stadia is still a brand new platform. Remember that.

Yes, I am. And honestly I think most people will be too. There are absolutely pockets of gamers that are very much into older titles but I'd say the vast majority of people especially casual gamers are always on to the next thing and not worried about going back to play older games. I'll buy Doom Eternal on Stadia this fall because I'm not concerned with some theoretical time 5 years in the future where I need to play Doom Eternal.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If Stadia works well for me, I'll not use consoles other than for exclusives. Can't wait for the day this becomes a reality.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Stadia/xCloud is made for casuals - not the types that frequent this forum. It is meant to reach and expand a greater audience than traditional consoles