• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I've been going through a lot of PS2 games revisiting some of my favorite classics. Some games game play just has not aged well while other have. SSX is proves to continue to be an absolute blast with this perfect gameplay. I am so mad this series seems to have died. They had a couple missteps with blur and SSX 2012 but if they literally made SSX Tricky and 3 with current gen graphics I think it was sell very well for newcomers and old.

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I'd like another snowboarding game in the style of those two. Idk how likely that is to happen anytime soon though

data west

Oct 25, 2017
They cut off Skate despite being a financial success(but not 'enough of one') and being brought back into the mainstream by literally the biggest name on Youtube.

EA doesn't give a fuck. They only know how to chase what's currently hot.

gar3

Oct 25, 2017
New Cumberland, PA USA
I have all the SSX titles but my four children (7, 9, 12, 15) only play SSX On Tour on Nintendo GameCube and SSX3 backwards compatible on Xbox One X. None of them like any of the other ones, heh. I think EA would make a killing if they made a new one similar to SSX3 but what do I or my children know, right?

OP
OP
Virtua Saturn

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I have all the SSX titles but my four children (7, 9, 12, 15) only play SSX On Tour on Nintendo GameCube and SSX3 backwards compatible on Xbox One X. Nobody else likes any of the other ones, heh. I think EA would make a killing if they made a new one similar to SSX3 but what do I or my children know, right?

The weird thing is that rematered Burnout Paradise for some reason. Granted, that took a lower effort than remastering Tricky and 3 but still.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I played and loved the shit out of SSX Tricky on GC, really disappointed to see that EA has given up on the series, I would buy another SSX as crazy as that one without hesitation

OP
OP
Virtua Saturn

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Came in to say this. Thank goodness Microsoft actually seems to care about selling us old games for profit preserving old games and making them playable on modern hardware.

If I end up buying a Xbox console in the future, it will be my future purchase without hesitation but until them I am going to shake my fist at the sky about the series seeming to be dead and play it on my PS2.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
People would hesitate to spend $60 on an arcade extreme sports game in 2020, especially something linear like SSX Tricky. Maybe something that took the formula of 3 and modernized it but also they tried that with On Tour and the 2012 reboot and both failed in one way or another. I think the fact SSX and most extreme sports games use super unconventional controls that most people will find complicated at first kind of has alienated them from becoming a big mainstream success again, the genre is 100% out of fashion and we're now at the point where kids and teens probably don't even have strong memories of them. Hopefully the indie space can have some breakout extreme sports games soon to fill the void, Skatebird looks like it has a lot of potential and I hope more follow in it's footsteps.

And as many have already said, the Xbox BC version of SSX3 is great, give it a go. Hope when the BC program ramps back up after Series X launches we can get Tricky as well.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I jump into SSX3 on my Xbox One X all the time. It's so much fun and looks amazing running at 4K 60fps. Its my go to "eh, I have 30 minutes to kill" game! SSX3 has aged surprisingly well considering it's two whole console generations old. I'd love for EA to make a new SSX game in the style of 3! I'd be there day one. I just don't have confidence that EA wouldn't fuck it up in some way.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
To EA the entire BIG lineup of games must mean BIG letdown. They've shunned every title under it. Sad sad shit.

Mar 25, 2019
I'm so desperate for more ssx that I actually found some enjoyment in the 2012 release, but trying to get into Steep is what broke me

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I actually watched some clips of Steep today and after about 5 minutes I was like, "no, I am not that desperate."

I got into Steep lately and actually reaaaally like it, but it just couldn't be further away from SSX, totally different itch. It's way more of a find your line and perfect it game like skate. Suhh a shame there's almost no choice in the extreme sports genre these days :( everything leans to a realism/lifestyle angle now, we need more arcade style games

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's staggering how we don't have/never got PS2 Burnout and SSX HD collections

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I booted SSX on ps2 the other day. Man what a throw back. It was one of the launch games I got with it.

Let me tell you, it's still fun almost 20 years later!! I could see myself going through the SP again!! I skipped Tricky but SSX3 was also insane from what I remember.

OP
OP
Virtua Saturn

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
My dream scenario for these games to come back are this. It is rumored that Activision is going to announcement the remake of a fan favorite. I am not sure what else that could be other than the Tony Hawk games. It gets released and they sell a ton. EA sees money in them hills and brings back SSX. I know it's a long shot but that is the only way I see it coming back.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
EA gave up on all their sports titles besides Madden and FIFA. At one point this company had SSX, SKATE, and NBA/NFL STREET. I don't understand it.

EDIT: it's funny because they've been trying to bring back NBA LIVE to compete with 2K, but they should've instead brought back NBA STREET. That would've been a success.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Imagine being a decision maker at EA, having this as an IP, and then saying "nah, let's pour some money into this Anthem idea instead."

Jun 23, 2019
It's not so much that it can't be done, it's that extreme sports are kind of a niche thing nowadays. Back in the days of SSX3, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Downhill Domination, Dave Mirra BMX, etc, you had the fanbase to support it. We saw how badly the new SSX did. The audience just isn't there anymore. I am surprised however they haven't released a remastered collection.

Nov 14, 2017
I always assumed the lack of SSX remasters was due to music licensing. Those games were as much about the soundtracks as the snowboarding; both were amazing.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
You can play SSX 3 in 4K on Xbox One X and future Xbox consoles.
You know. Sometimes i feel like i made a wrong decision of purchasing a PS4 pro over a Xbox one X. A gamer like me is more satisfied with playing the older games but with higher resolutions and more fps, similar to what i can do on the PC.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's not so much that it can't be done, it's that extreme sports are kind of a niche thing nowadays. Back in the days of SSX3, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Downhill Domination, Dave Mirra BMX, etc, you had the fanbase to support it. We saw how badly the new SSX did. The audience just isn't there anymore. I am surprised however they haven't released a remastered collection.

yeah this is what it is.
Remember when every extreme sport basically had a Tony Hawks' clone, (Shaun Murray's Extreme Wakeboarding FTW)
Sonic wore Soap shows so he could do freestyle walking (before it became parkour)
The pre-YouTube days when everyone loved Jackass and backyard wrestling even had a game.

I think EA tested the water with 2012 (which was a good game in it's own right) and it kind showed the mainstream interest in that was done.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know. Sometimes i feel like i made a wrong decision of purchasing a PS4 pro over a Xbox one X. A gamer like me is more satisfied with playing the older games but with higher resolutions and more fps, similar to what i can do on the PC.
That's fine. You can get a Xbox Series X and be able to play all of these BC 360 and OG Xbox games. Plus it's very possible the BC team will continue to add more 360 and OG Xbox games to BC after Xbox Series X launches.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Honestly, I miss all these snowboarding/skateboarding games a lot. This was really cool.
Shaun Paulmer's Pro Snowboarder was pretty fun too as I remember. It played like a Tony Hawk game on snow

If you have them for PS2, PCSX2 is really easy to set up and has good compatibility. Many games have widescreen hacks, and even a midrange rig can run the games at 1080p/4K these days.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, just 30 mins ago I decided to rewatch the original Deadly Descents trailer. An incredible missfire, had forgotten how awful it was.

I love SSX 2012. For meditation purposes only, I stopped when it became too easy to fall off a level and get a game over, wasn't a great fan of rewind. I should give it another go, just wish it was 4K enhanced.

I did fully level up Allegra in SSX 3 on Xbox One X and it was a blast. Would definitely buy one with mind blowing graphics, fun gameplay and festive ambiance.

Just make a Forza Horizon for SSX if it's what it takes. Anything to bring this genre back to life!

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
An SSX revival with an Overwatch-style look and the bright colors, fantastical tracks and great music of Tricky would be so dope.