• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IF Sony releases PS kill on PC frequently like one every 3 months, do you guys think..

• Sony is being this aggressive due to MS PC ports selling well and they want to fiercely contest that

Votes: 216 15.1%
  • Sony is being this aggressive because they simply don't want MS to gain a huge foothold on PC

Votes: 165 11.5%
  • You're not sure what to think of it

Votes: 140 9.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 273 19.0%
  • Its because sony just wants max. profits out of their PC ports & want it to fund their PS Busines

Votes: 485 33.8%
  • its because like any other company Sony likes Money

Votes: 634 44.2%

• Total voters

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
It's mostly to get people to buy PS5s for the sequels.
This opinion can only come from those who live, breathe and worship Sony exclusives, and can't understand there's an army of people who are happily nonchalent about them - they'll play them if they're available on PC, and they won't if they aren't, and either is absolutely fine.

The world doesn't revolve around Sony exclusives, people.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
This opinion can only come from those who live, breathe and worship Sony exclusives, and can't understand there's an army of people who are happily nonchalent about them - they'll play them if they're available on PC, and they won't if they aren't, and either is absolutely fine.

The world doesn't revolve around Sony exclusives, people.

This seems to have struck a nerve. I'm just looking at their business so far, it's about owning and controlling their ecosystem, they want more people in it.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Jesus christ, if that was their reasoning they'd release their games exclusively on a client of their own that integrates with PSN and make them cross-buy with PS4/PS5. Stop spreading fanfiction. They want to make more money from their games, the end

Haha, fan fiction, good one.

Anyway, if what you're saying was true, they would be releasing their current, or at least recent games on PC. Look, I don't care one way or the other. I'm telling you what it looks like currently.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This seems to have struck a nerve. I'm just looking at their business so far, it's about owning and controlling their ecosystem, they want more people in it.

People getting PS5 consoles only for exclusives are pretty much worthless for Sony.

Sony makes ton of revenue from PSN, PS+ and digital sales; if there's a PC Gamer sticking to PC with the multiplatform games and plays on PS5 only the exclusives, this is not a huge win for Sony.

Sony wants people to buy PS5 consoles, buy their exclusives and spend money on their store, subscribe to PS+ etc....., them porting to PC is because they know there's a big audience sticking to their platform and no matter how many exclusives they have, not a lot of them are going to abandon the PC ecosystem and jump on console.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Horizon's sequel is also releasing on PS4 though and the people Sony is targeting did not buy it for the first game.

True, I should've said "they want you to buy a PlayStation". As long as you're buying from their store and using their services.

If they make their own store on PC, I will accept they look at PC as more than just a gateway. And this may happen, I don't know. I'm just saying what it looks like now.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
people with the rigs to even play Sony games on PC aren't gonna jump ship to PS5 because they liked Days Gone and Horizon

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
People getting PS5 consoles only for exclusives are pretty much worthless for Sony.

Sony makes ton of revenue from PSN, PS+ and digital sales; if there's a PC Gamer sticking to PC with the multiplatform games and plays on PS5 only the exclusives, this is not a huge win for Sony.

Sony wants people to buy PS5 consoles, buy their exclusives and spend money on their store, subscribe to PS+ etc....., them porting to PC is because they know there's a big audience sticking to their platform and no matter how many exclusives they have, not a lot of them are going to abandon the PC ecosystem and jump on console.

As I said above, when they make a PC store, I will believe you. And, you know, they might one day, and then I'll admit I was wrong. Or at least when they start releasing current or recent games on it.

This all seems like wishful thinking, that is all. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But I'm certainly not the only one in this thread that noticed it's older games at the end of a generation. It's not fanboyism or anything.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I think Sony realize they don't stand to gain much by selling hardware to consumers who only occasionally buys some of the exclusives.

I disagree, but I'm no analyst. However, if that was the case, they would release more recent games, and Nintendo would follow. I guess you'll tell me Nintendo is leaving money at the table or that they are going to release Zelda on PC, soon. I just don't see it.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
people with the rigs to even play Sony games on PC aren't gonna jump ship to PS5 because they liked Days Gone and Horizon

Yep. I loved the exclusives from last gen but I'm sick of console fuckery. I have no problem missing out on them. I'm not buying a ps5 for a handful of exclusives. Learned my lesson wasting my money on a switch for that shit and I'll be damned if I do it again. I think releasing the games in pc later is a good way to get some extra revenue but it isn't going to push anyone to shell out 500+ bucks to play sequels. I can buy a solid GPU for that price lol

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I disagree, but I'm no analyst. However, if that was the case, they would release more recent games, and Nintendo would follow. I guess you'll tell me Nintendo is leaving money at the table or that they are going to release Zelda on PC, soon. I just don't see it.

There's a big difference, Nintendo NEEDS exclusives to sell hardware, more than PS and Xbox consoles by a lot.

A huge chunck of the PS/Xbox users are buying consoles for their annual sport titles, COD games, BF, GTA Online etc..... (Nintendo misses 95% or more of the biggest 3rd party games every year)

(not saying exclusives don't play a role in this one, but in Nintendo case they are a much bigger deal compared to PS or Xbox)

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's mostly to get people to buy PS5s for the sequels, though. But money from PC sales, too.

If PC gamers didn't buy a Playstation back when PC ports of Sony games weren't a thing, I very strongly doubt that they'll buy a Playstation now that those games will be coming to PC. I don't see the logical train of thought leading from "Horizon is a great game and it won't come to PC but I won't buy a PlayStation for it" to "Horizon is great and it came to PC so I should buy a Playstation for the sequel".

As others have said, people who want a PC will buy a PC and people who want a console will buy a console. By porting games to PC Sony is making money from people like me who simply don't want a console.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
True, I should've said "they want you to buy a PlayStation". As long as you're buying from their store and using their services.

If they make their own store on PC, I will accept they look at PC as more than just a gateway. And this may happen, I don't know. I'm just saying what it looks like now.
It's such a weird point of view though.

Horizon on PC has so far brought in dozens of millions of dollars. That's a huge amount of money for what was likely a fairly small amount of work. And the game will continue to sell a lot.

Comparing the amount of money it has made and will continue to make, how many people do you think realistically would buy a PS5 because they, while playing the game, realize that it's a good game and they want more Sony games, despite probably already knowing about Sony having quality games? I'm sure the amount is greater than zero, but I'd guess the amount is negligible compared to the amount it sells just as a PC game.

Also, compare the hypothethical amount of people getting into the PS ecosystem because of them playing their games on PC, to people currently on the PS ecosystem to moving to PC. I'm pretty the amount of those people will also be greater than zero. They've known they could get the PC exclusive games on PC and also Xbox games on PC and now also at least some Sony games and hopefully more in future. In this group there will be people who have previously been only on the PS ecosystem and people who have been multiplatform gamers and now as a result will buy the games on PC instead of Playstation. Now, I'm sure the amount of people in this combined group is also negligible, but I would guess it's in similar range to the amount of PC gamers getting a PS5 because of their games on PC. Do you see otherwise? Why?

People like to think that companies don't have any biases and they act on objective data. This is absolutely not true. I'm sure they do a lot of market research on various things, but companies consist of employees and employees even in the top have their biases and attitudes. Sony has been very conservative regarding their games on other platforms and I'd be willing to bet that internally there have been a lot of people objecting to putting their games on other platforms. However, within the last few years, they have seen (among other things) Microsoft's success with it and they've seen that it doesn't seem to cannibalize their console market. So they learn and attitudes shift.

But so far they are still experimenting and seeing what works out the best way for them. What are the games and genres that sell the most? How much does it effect when you release the game? How do you best market it? Things like that. But I'd be willing to bet that they are also still looking at if it has any effect on the sales of their games on Playstation. A lot of people working there still probably aren't fully convinced but they need more data. As someone said earlier, at some point in future they will probably test the waters with some game releasing on the same day in both Playstation and PC. And if it sells badly overall, they might even get scared a little even if there are plenty of other reasons for the failure (sort of like when at one point companies blamed having a woman as the main character as the reason for some games's failure, but fortunately a lot of companies have learned to be wiser regarding that by now) But these things develop slowly and for now they'll probably continue with porting some of their older games to get more data to make informed decisions.

Nintendo has been very conservative in a lot of ways. Even with mobile they were extremely slow in getting to the market. Super Mario Run was released in 2017 (edit: no actually it was December 2016 on iOS, and March 2017 on Android) - that's only four years ago despite mobile being a huge thing years and years earlier. I don't think it's impossible at all that at some point they'll test the PC market, but if they do, they will do it very carefully and it will take a long, long time. I absolutely do think they are leaving money on the table though by not using that market. A lot of their games would sell amazingly well on PC and I don't think it would effect their console sales in any meaningful negative way.

Last edited:

Shiny Man

Nov 18, 2020
Loulé
To make money basically, and by releasing them only on PC keeps their exclusivity among consoles for them to still be able to drive hardware sales. It really is a win-win for everyone involved.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
If PC gamers didn't buy a Playstation back when PC ports of Sony games weren't a thing, I very strongly doubt that they'll buy a Playstation now that those games will be coming to PC. I don't see the logical train of thought leading from "Horizon is a great game and it won't come to PC but I won't buy a PlayStation for it" to "Horizon is great and it came to PC so I should buy a Playstation for the sequel".

As others have said, people who want a PC will buy a PC and people who want a console will buy a console. By porting games to PC Sony is making money from people like me who simply don't want a console.
They may think that, it wouldn't be the first time someone made that same mistake.
In fact this strategy is pretty similar to what MS had in place until they've started launching their games on both Xbox and Windows on the same day. And once they did nothing really happened to Xbox - no less sales, nothing.
PC gamers won't buy a console if they didn't buy one yet. They will buy a game on PC though provided it's a good quality port of a good game for a proper price.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
This is true. I have a PS5 that is collecting dust because I bought it just for Demon souls, and possibly god of war whenever it releases.

I play everything else on pc.

Yes, one of the main reasons for letting my PS5 go onwards was that the Demon's Souls alone wasn't enough. And I really don't want to pay for shit like PS+ to get the full experience that was freely available when I played the game on PS3.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
They may think that, it wouldn't be the first time someone made that same mistake.
In fact this strategy is pretty similar to what MS had in place until they've started launching their games on both Xbox and Windows on the same day. And once they did nothing really happened to Xbox - no less sales, nothing.
PC gamers won't buy a console if they didn't buy one yet. They will buy a game on PC though provided it's a good quality port of a good game for a proper price.

Xbox is indeed a very good example.

Nov 2, 2017
It's mostly to get people to buy PS5s for the sequels, though. But money from PC sales, too.
I think this move will make less people buy a PS5. Why would a mainly PC guy buy a PS5 when first party games come to PC anyway? In the past I've bought PS consoles because I knew first party games would never come to PC but now that's no longer necessary.

I also can't see most people spending 400-500€ for 2-3 sequels they might be interested in.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Weird how logic works around here, surely putting PlayStation games on PC reduces (even marginally) the amount of people that buy PlayStations.

The games are no longer exclusive so people will get them on the platform where they play best. A lot of people think that's PC.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post but as for the second train of thought well that's my situation as both a PC gamer and a PS5 owner. Fomo is a real thing and I highly doubt Sony will be delivering any big exclusives to PC on day one, likely at least 1-2 years after release. I'm highly skeptical we'll ever see something like their crown jewel IP, TLOU, on PC ever as well. I will admit a general concern over the diversity of exclusives outside of the cinematic third person games now since Japan Studio is effectively dissolved, but that's another discussion.

I realize however that I'm probably more in the minority demographic as a PC + PS5 user and not really a factor for Sony's general sales goals. I got a PS5 knowing I'll have access to the first party stuff day one, plus not having to fuss over getting a balanced performance profile on PC, particularly as the generation progresses and more full PS5 exclusives take more advantage of the PS5 hw, especially that SSD with those insane I/O speeds. I'm not sure my dinky external Samsung SSD I use on my PC will cut it any longer by that point.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
At the moment we kind of have negative worth, as we hinder those real fans and consumers from getting PS5s.
Damn, I never thought about it like that but this is true. I bought my PS5 and played Demon's Souls and pretty much nothing else. I don't sub to PS+ or anything so they aren't getting any additional revenue from me. I think technically Sony hasn't even made money from me owning a console yet since the PS5 sells at a loss.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
Sony made their calculations and found out that, contrary to what everyone in this forum and elsewhere thinks, exclusive first-party game are not the main reason why people buy Playstation and involve themselves into their ecosystem. When you look at the top-selling games on PS you find the usual suspects Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and FIFA which are multiplatform. First-party games account for only 20% of software sales, and that rate has been consistent for Sony since the PS2.

Playstation think of themselves as this big brand of entertainment that is not only about videogames but also movies and, soon, HBO-level television. Putting their games on PC, exposing their brand to a larger number of people, is a mere consequence of this strategy. And it has nothing to do with increasing console hardware sales.

By the way Nintendo does it as well, but instead of putting Zelda on PC they open a Mario theme park where you can buy overpriced merchandise. Each company has its own way of doing this.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Who is spending $500 on a machine to play one game when they can use that $500 towards making their PC a better machine than current gen consoles one day. Flood gates are opening and that game...whatever it is...will be on pc one day.

Someone who wants to play a Horizon sequel this year instead of waiting 3-4 years? Exactly my point. This is why I doubt Sony will bring newer games to PC, until they have a store or offer their services there, too (like Microsoft, for example). They could do it, and maybe they will - maybe this is just a trial run for that. I don't know. But I think this is, in its current state, a gateway to Sony platforms or, at least, PlayStation Now.

For PlayStations, there is the draw of exclusive content, convenience, services. You still get to play games you want + games you can't play anywhere else. "Better machine" is relative outside Era, where people prefer the experience to specs.

Last edited:

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
You try explaining to your shareholders that you have no major in-house software revenue in 2021 because of COVID, cratering PS4 sales, and limited PS5 supply. You go on to say that you *could have* had some decent revenue because of PC and your massive backlog of published games, but you *chose not to* because you wanted your fans to feel like "first class citizens".

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Weird how logic works around here, surely putting PlayStation games on PC reduces (even marginally) the amount of people that buy PlayStations.

The games are no longer exclusive so people will get them on the platform where they play best. A lot of people think that's PC.

I agree that's weird logic working there, but if this means making Playstation fans agree with PC players that Sony should port more of their library to PC, then we can just roll with it.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Sony made their calculations and found out that, contrary to what everyone in this forum and elsewhere thinks, exclusive first-party game are not the main reason why people buy Playstation and involve themselves into their ecosystem. When you look at the top-selling games on PS you find the usual suspects Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and FIFA which are multiplatform. First-party games account for only 20% of software sales, and that rate has been consistent for Sony since the PS2.

The fact CODs and GTAs are most played, doesn't mean people don't buy PlayStations for exclusive content. They can play these games anywhere, so why not get a platform where you can also play games you can't play elsewhere? I think the PS brand and the appeal of exclusive content is getting a lot of people on board, even if they mostly play multi-platform titles.

And that's exactly it: Sony doesn't care what you play, they care where you play it. They earn more money from COD on PlayStation then from Horizon on PC. My guess is that everything they do it's to get more people on their platform, whether through content or brand. So, until they get their platform or services on PC, this will be their priority.

My guess is - older games on PC falls into "sure, why not get the extra profits and maybe we even get new PlayStation customers" category. I doubt we'll see brand new PS Studio games on PC anytime soon. Unless, of course, they invest in a PC store or start investing in PlayStation Now much more.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I don't think it will eat into console sales unless they released on the same day. Its definitely the right direction for Sony, no way could they continue to ignore a growing market where their main competitor thrives.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Someone who wants to play a Horizon sequel this year instead of waiting 3-4 years? Exactly my point. This is why I doubt Sony will bring newer games to PC, until they have a store or offer their services there, too (like Microsoft, for example). They could do it, and maybe they will - maybe this is just a trial run for that. I don't know. But I think this is, in its current state, a gateway to Sony platforms or, at least, PlayStation Now.

For PlayStations, there is the draw of exclusive content, convenience, services. You still get to play games you want + games you can't play anywhere else. "Better machine" is relative outside Era, where people prefer the experience to specs.
These people would have bought a PlayStation already. The exclusive content draw works for you not for them.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I agree that's weird logic working there, but if this means making Playstation fans agree with PC players that Sony should port more of their library to PC, then we can just roll with it.

Yeah because now I've definitely seen the argument for console exclusives on PC made in both directions.

Seemingly they both increase and decrease console hardware sales.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
These people would have bought a PlayStation already. The exclusive content draw works for you not for them.

They didn't have a chance to play these games before. Now that they can, they may get hooked.

Of course, the truth is more nuanced than all that. I'm just saying there's a reason why Sony didn't bring, say, The Last of Us Part II to PC, and why we, likely, won't see Ragnarok on PC anytime soon.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Day's Gone is pretty recent

It's 2 years old at this point and is not one of the "big brand titles" (even though it's quite a good game and did well, it's not a system seller). Look, I'm not saying that it's impossible, but I doubt we'll see a PS5 Sony game on PC anytime soon. My guess is that we'll see God of War next, and it will be sometime before GoW 2 launch, which will be indicative but people here will again ignore this fact. And we'll have this discussion again.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It's 2 years old at this point and is not one of the "big brand titles" (even though it's quite a good game and did well, it's not a system seller). Look, I'm not saying that it's impossible, but I doubt we'll see a PS5 Sony game on PC anytime soon. My guess is that we'll see God of War next, and it will be sometime before GoW 2 launch, which will be indicative but people here will again ignore this fact. And we'll have this discussion again.
When we're used to games coming to the platform a year later or more for no reason, 2 years is recent 😆

If the games keep coming and keep selling well, I see no reason why they wouldn't bring their PS5 games to the platform.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post but as for the second train of thought well that's my situation as both a PC gamer and a PS5 owner. Fomo is a real thing and I highly doubt Sony will be delivering any big exclusives to PC on day one, likely at least 1-2 years after release. I'm highly skeptical we'll ever see something like their crown jewel IP, TLOU, on PC ever as well. I will admit a general concern over the diversity of exclusives outside of the cinematic third person games now since Japan Studio is effectively dissolved, but that's another discussion.

I realize however that I'm probably more in the minority demographic as a PC + PS5 user and not really a factor for Sony's general sales goals. I got a PS5 knowing I'll have access to the first party stuff day one, plus not having to fuss over getting a balanced performance profile on PC, particularly as the generation progresses and more full PS5 exclusives take more advantage of the PS5 hw, especially that SSD with those insane I/O speeds. I'm not sure my dinky external Samsung SSD I use on my PC will cut it any longer by that point.

You were already a multi-platform owner, right? Did you own a PS4 too?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They didn't have a chance to play these games before. Now that they can, they may get hooked.

Of course, the truth is more nuanced than all that. I'm just saying there's a reason why Sony didn't bring, say, The Last of Us Part II to PC, and why we, likely, won't see Ragnarok on PC anytime soon.
Because Sony can't afford to or they -think- they can't afford to. In reality I think they will see they could have afforded to do it all along.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it's because Sony and it's developers want to make more money. Games sell extremely well on pc.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
The games are advertisements for the upcoming exclusives that might make a few people buy a Playstation. Although I'm not sure how much buzz i.e. Horizon has created, In typical PC game discussion fashion the technical aspects overshadowed the discussion of the merits of the game. That was helped by the port apparently being bad at first of course. Anyway, it's hard to estimate how successful the Horizon release eventually was.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The games are advertisements for the upcoming exclusives that might make a few people buy a Playstation.

I don't really know if this is the case. I think (most) PC gamers who waited and picked something like Horizon ZD up on PC will just happily wait and eventually pick up Horizon FW on PC too. I can't see it pulling folk towards buying a console if they weren't already interested. And if they were already into console gaming and games like Horizon/Days Gone etc, they've probably already got a PlayStation.

My two cents. I think the releases are, simply, so that Sony can sell more copies of their games. I don't personally think they're intended as advertisements or as a hook to drag people to PlayStation 5.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
To make money and also has the potential to lure some people to get into the Playstation ecosystem if the game has a sequel, but again, as they know those numbers will be small their main focus is to make a bunch of money from customers that before were out of their reach.