• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IF Sony releases PS kill on PC frequently like one every 3 months, do you guys think..

• Sony is being this aggressive due to MS PC ports selling well and they want to fiercely contest that

Votes: 216 15.1%
  • Sony is being this aggressive because they simply don't want MS to gain a huge foothold on PC

Votes: 165 11.5%
  • You're not sure what to think of it

Votes: 140 9.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 273 19.0%
  • Its because sony just wants max. profits out of their PC ports & want it to fund their PS Busines

Votes: 485 33.8%
  • its because like any other company Sony likes Money

Votes: 634 44.2%

• Total voters

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I was just thinking about it last night and this thought popped up in my head when kept thinking of how they phrased PS games coming to PC. A whole Slate. That to me seems like waves of them but the question remains in my mind, if sony is going all on like that then what can be the reason? Especially if they start aggressively..

EDIT: Apologies for the lack of other choices, made this thread on mobile while outside of my residence so i couldn't think through the poll choices well enough lol because i wanted responses mostly on the scenario posted in the poll and it was meant to be more about Sony possibly spacing the releases closely in a year like every 3 months and wanted to know what would people think of such a situation should it occur.

I added some more choices btw.

Last edited:

Deleted member 90921

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Its to get people in the PS ecosystem and get them into their exclusive franchises so they buy a PS5 to play the sequel's day one

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Software is where the money is at. It's as simple as that. Get the software into the hands of more people and you get more money.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Jim already explained why PC ports are important to them now in his interview earlier this week. Development costs escalating, ease of porting to PC and little in the way of cannibalisation.

It's easy money. Based on reviews, HZD has likely sold >2m copies on PC for what was a 3 year old game that launched in a shoddy mess (albeit since fixed). That's like £50m revenue after Steam's cut. Just for a port of an older game.

It's business. The PlayStation division needs to continue its growth trajectory. Jim wants his bonuses. You don't do that by just doing the same thing. And Sony has never stood still. They need additional revenue sources, and this is an easy one.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
It's simple, PlayStation Revenue most likely will stay "flat" during the next years (around $20-24B a year in coming years)

They need extra sources of revenues to growth (for investors, their stock, etc...)

An easy way is to release games on PC

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The PC initiative exists for the same reason PlayStation Productions does, they want to expand their IP reach.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
it's basically a marketing tool to gets fans hooked to a franchise.

that hook will get them into the ecosystem.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why it's so hard for people to reconcile the truth of the matter that the PC and Sony/Microsoft console ecosystems are not perfectly exchangeable in the same way that Xbox and PlayStation are. It's a viewpoint rooted in this utterly archaic framework of the video game industry, one that has long become totally redundant as the function and form of consoles and the experiences they offer begin to blur, yet the difference between consoles and other platforms remain vast. We've even see this within the console space: Nintendo specifically chose a direction that differed them from Microsoft and Sony's output precisely to reposition their market viability in a way that did not directly compete with and self cannibalise Sony/Microsoft's market. A lesson they learned with the GameCube and Nintendo 64.

Microsoft's business in the PC space is a little bit more nuanced as there's very specific benefits to them offering software to the PC market, but a lot of that just has to do with Microsoft's overall business approach in the medium (see: GamePass, and many GAAS titles). Sony doesn't benefit exactly the same way as Microsoft, but the can (and are) leverage the PC market at its core in the exactly like Microsoft. And that is by offering software to a marketplace that may not have purchased their hardware, without cannibalising their own market share.

Here's the thing; if Sony dropped all their games on an Xbox then yeah, the incentive to buy a PlayStation would reduce significantly. Because if you can get all your games on one box that offers a borderline identical end user experience...why not? Why bother with PlayStation if an Xbox is plug-and-play in largely the same ways. PC does not work like this though. As a gaming platform it is generally more expensive with larger upfront overheads. It isn't as accessible or immediate. It requires a more tailored, user intensive approach to benefit from. And, most importantly, the end user experience of using a PC and what it can/cannot do, and how, is so vastly different from any console that the two are not comparable.

Giving up your PlayStation for an Xbox (in the hypothetical of PlayStation games coming to Xbox) comes at a deficit of certain end user features and experiences (see: online friends lists, which itself is becoming more redundant as games become cross play), but giving up your PC for a console is completely different. The freedom and versatility and pure scope of function for the end user would be completely lost on a console. PC gamers jumping ship to PlayStation or Xbox are giving up a lot of exactly how they use their device.

And it goes the other way too. People who adore gaming on consoles do not want the higher upfront costs and lesser accessibility of a PC. An overwhelming majority of games already come to PC. There are more exclusives on PC (see: Indie marketplaces) than any console. PC is already littered with significant advantages over the console space (see: backwards compatibility, extensive library, peripheral support, etc). But people don't care, because people who love consoles want an entertainment box they can take hope, unpack, and plug immediately into a TV and it does everything they need with minimal user overhead. You buy a game, you put a disk in, and you're good to go. You don't have to fuck around with layered user interfaces or operating systems. You can just go for it. These people are not buying a PC even if their games are going to that platform too.

I don't doubt Sony genuinely sees other factors here that benefit them. I do think there is some value to someone playing Horizon on PC, loving it, and running out to buy a PlayStation 5. I'm sure Sony do measure some value in the minority of players doing this and continuing to buy the limited amount of exclusives on the hardware. I also think Sony are observing how the PC market responds to ports and, if the porting is to increase and the time between PS5->PC lessened, how they can benefit most with a launch (eg: opening their own storefront, offering subscription services, etc). They're late to the party but I'm sure they're still measuring numbers right now and trying to work out a long term approach.

But the absolute guts of it are as simple as this: people will not stop buying PlayStations to play PlayStation games even said games are ported to other platforms, on the condition that those platforms are inherently unappealing to them by virtue of their function and form. PlayStation gamers are, by and large, in the mass majority, not ever going to drop their consoles for a PC. Some PC gamers will buy a PlayStation specifically and exclusively just for the few games that they cannot get on their own platform, but the number of these people is surely significantly less than the PC gamers who do want to play these games but won't buy a PlayStation for them.

By releasing games to PC, especially late, Sony is simply capitalising on a market that will want to play their games but previously had no means to do so (willingly or otherwise). There will be zero cannibalisation of their own market or sales, as an overwhelming, vast, borderline absolute percentage of people buying these ports on PC were never going to buy a console at this point. People who wanted to play Horizon and Days Gone have done so. And when God of War '18 is ported it'll be the same story. Sony know, based on how the market has evolved and how Microsoft has now exploited it, that they lose literally, fundamentally nothing porting these games to PC. They just gain a wider audience and more sales. It's win/win for every person involved.

And that's why big name first party hardware publishers are incentivised to bring their software to PC.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
PC, more money, continuous growth. That's it, nothing to do with platform wars.

Every 3 months though? I doubt it, maybe 6 months.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
They see the money MS makes and think "why don't we take this extra money?"

Games are getting more and more expensive and they would be foolish to leave that money on the table because some clowns complain

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Gives their games an extended life + more money that way.

And more of a chance people buy a PS5 to immediately buy the sequels (not why they're doing this though).

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
If anyone can prove to Sony, WITHOUT ANY DOUBT - that making their games available on *ALL PLATFORMS* would increase their revenue with zero negative effect to their console business, they'd do it, imo.

And yes, when I say all platforms, I mean also Xbox and Nintendo.

But we know that's not how the business works. Exclusives do matter in making people pick one platform over the other. Because other people are also in the business of securing exclusives.

The one area where a lot of people have said there are minimal overlap is PC/Mobile, and we've seen Sony experiment with mobile/PC for several years now. This was nothing new.

What Sony has done is slowly test out more and more over the past several years of exclusives being made available on other platforms ( Helldivers, Flower, Flow, Journey, Detroit, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Predator, Horizon and soon Days Gone ) - and have probably seen that bringing their games to PC doesn't have any short-term impact to their business.

They've started small, with their niche games, then moved to their mid-tier level games, and now they're handling it with their AAA games. It's just been a natural progression that's slow, but they are getting there.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
They're going to put games on PC probably quite a while after they've been out on Sony consoles. Probably at least a few years. Not sure what the frequency will be, but it's clear the goal is to drive interest in Playstation. "Look at how good our games are."

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's the money. they're gonna make a lot by releasing games on PC, and they release them several years later so they're not losing any console sales because of it.

Its to get people in the PS ecosystem and get them into their exclusive franchises so they buy a PS5 to play the sequel's day one
pc gamers who weren't convinced by all the glowing praise sony exclusives got on ps4 to get a playstation aren't gonna suddenly get a ps5 just cuz they played a game and have to play the sequel. they'll either wait, or just move on and play other games.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt every 3 months, there's only so many games they could do and I bet they'll want to time some games to promote sequels on PS5. Maybe every 6-9 months between games, but I bet they'll want to take lessons learned from HZD's PC release and make sure it's up to a quality standard before release. Having a reputation of bad ports certainly won't stop sales but it'll slow things down.

If they start with say Classic HD games that never seen PC before (Ratchet and Clank for instance) that could be easy money, as long as they get ports for PS5 that have similar benefits to a new PC release.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think they just want to sell more games to more people.

I don't particularly think MS comes in to the equation. Releasing games like Days Gone and Horizon on PC is just a way of continuing to monetise games that are past their peak in terms of selling to existing PlayStation users.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Shit, if they can sell millions of extra copies why not. There's no reason behind it except yeah, here's a platform where we can sell millions.

I wish they would go farther and start porting old PS1-3 titles.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i'm very sure is something very complex like... getting more money from older titles and widening the audience.

Oct 27, 2017
It's to expand their reach on other platform, just this time not created entirely by themselves. Like Nintendo did with mobile efforts some time ago before Switch picked up. And they are doing it because they can, not because they have to. With multiple viable markets properly served (console and PC), everyone benefits.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Well a few things I think are driving these decisions.

1. There is money to be made and these consoles are closer to Windows PCs as ever before. So it's easier. And PCs are in markets that consoles are not.

2. The two markets don't overlap that much imo. A lot of people simply won't play a game if it's not on their preferred platform of choice, especially if it requires money for hardware. Also, when your closest competitor is doing it as well, not much to lose imo. (edit: also if people do buy a PlayStation for a specific game, they usually probably still buy most of their games elsewhere if it's not their primary platform, so if someone buys one or two Sony games, Sony might prefer to get those customers on PC where they don't have to sell a console to them which they might not make much money on)

3. This is the Long Term need for the PlayStation group imo. In order for them to use other cloud infrastructure like Azure, AWS, Google etc.. They will need to build their games for PC. These companies won't be putting PlayStations in their datacenters. They will have various windows or Linux hardware, and to be able to have multiple cloud options, they need to be able to have their games run on more computer configurations.

Last edited:

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
1) They want money

2) They want people to become invested in their IPs so they might consider buying a PS5 for the sequels

Ninja Kn1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're releasing exclusives like this because it's been long enough that those games aren't driving PS hardware sales anymore so bringing them to PC makes money and may bring more people into the PS ecosystem to play sequels sooner.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
None of the options. Sony releases games on PC because they're realizing how much money they're leaving on the table. I truly believe it's just that.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's just a new revenue stream for them that doesn't take away from their current sales. I don't believe in the idea that they want people to buy a PlayStation. That's not how PC players tend to work at all.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand the thought process of some who don't think money is the motivating factor of any corporation.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC has just become this wonderful no man's land of games.

PC has gotten big enough now that it's a good idea to put your games on there as well instead of your competitors as you are more like to garner extra cash you wouldn't have. PCs will always be way more powerful for consoles so a PC owner typically only really needs the PC to get by and maybe one console of their choosing and Switch is a wonderful addition for its portability.

So what are MS and Sony to do when that's pretty much a winning combo? Try to get what extra sales they can from people that are most likely not going to buy a console from them.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The main reason is definitely not to sell more consoles. I'd like to think that executives at Sony have a more well thought out business plan for the PC environment than that.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
If they have games people want that aren't available elsewhere, I don't think it's going to matter as much what others are doing. Some games will bring in money regardless. Ports/remasters/etc. can mean a lot more money relative to the cost and effort to release it.

Deleted member 90921

Banned
Jan 29, 2021
pc gamers who weren't convinced by all the glowing praise sony exclusives got on ps4 to get a playstation aren't gonna suddenly get a ps5 just cuz they played a game and have to play the sequel. they'll either wait, or just move on and play other games.
And theres pc players who ARE going to be convinced. Like me, I fully switched to Playstation

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Dunno why this is so hard to understand for some people on ERA.

Games are getting more expensive to make, opening your potential customer base by 150m additional users is a no brainer