• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Perseus

Sep 5, 2019
So let me get this straight. You want a more powerful console for the same price as the underpowered Series S? 😂 Hate to disappoint you but you will only buy a Series X.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Hard to see why OP would suddenly be interested in a PS5 for the Sony exclusives having not cared about them for three generations, no matter what the price is.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Everything I've read says in terms of its pure horsepower its on par and maybe slightly less in that department than the One X. Yes, its gets some added benefit from the better SSD for faster loads and some newer hardware feature things, so that helps some things along. But they are mostly similarly speced machines, , its just the One X only plays "One" games (plus earlier generation, but will never play Series X) while the Series S plays "Series X" games (plus all earlier generations).

You're incorrect, and people need to stop parroting this. TFlops numbers are not everything and they do not translate comparably between hardware gens. It's drastically weaker than the Series X, but it's definitely going to be a better machine than the One X when you're playing games over the next couple of years.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Everything I've read says in terms of its pure horsepower its on par and maybe slightly less in that department than the One X. Yes, its gets some added benefit from the better SSD for faster loads and some newer hardware feature things, so that helps some things along. But they are mostly similarly speced machines, , its just the One X only plays "One" games (plus earlier generation, but will never play Series X) while the Series S plays "Series X" games (plus all earlier generations).
You are so wrong... 😅
The Series S isn't for me, but I get why it exists and it's a great value for the price. That said, the CPU and SSD alone smoke the One X. Games made for the Series S in mind, literally aren't possible on the One X.
What One X has over the Series S, is that it's GPU is designed for 4K gaming, even then the Series S has HW RT and is a modern GPU, with AMD's latest tech.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
I am afraid you're out of luck then...

dwdwdwad.png
giphy.gif

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't react to him enjoying exclusives on Xbox straw man. I said it's strange that if he buys Xbox for exclusives that since the psx he hasn't bought any PlayStation considering the vast quantity of quality exclusives on PlayStation platforms, with most of the older consoles being v cheap if money was a issue as suggested in the op

I understood what you posted.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
So let me get this straight. You want a more powerful console for the same price as the underpowered Series S? 😂 Hate to disappoint you but you will only buy a Series X.

If Nvidia prices the 3090 as cheap as the 3070 than I will finally get to afford a top of the line graphics cards for the first time ever. - galaxy brain hot take

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I would bet that its not $299, sony would need to make a whole new console to be able to hit $299.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Um, OP... You said this just yesterday. What changed? Not a shitpost, asking genuinely.
I will never go digital if I have the option to go physical.

- Prices on physical copies are cheaper. Walmart sells new games for $10 less than MSRP.

-Second hand market. You can buy used games for half a price weeks after release if you look enough

-Value. I have several games worth $150 or more.

-Trade. I always trade FIFA for the newest one every year.

I would never trade those things for the ability to save 5 seconds switching games lol.

Last edited:

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Look at the size and power of that thing. $299 is ridiculous. Do people not look at the prices of the current gen? Consoles are going for $400 used. Demand is insane. They'll sell out at $599 and cut prices later before losing 100s millions on $299.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Can't imagine that the PS5 DE will be $299.

It has the same hardware as the regular PS5 (except the obvious missing disc drive).

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I thought the digital only PS5 was what to the XSS is to XSX. Don't need to bash me like that.
No worries dude, ignore the haters! I imagine many parents will make the same assumption.

You really should just pickup a used PS4 for $100 bucks though along with all the PS exclusives during a sale (frequently $10 each) and see what you've been missing if you're at all interested. I was a massive Halo fan through all of Bungie's tenure but jumped ship to the PS4/Switch in 2014 and dude, the games are just so good.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They won't. PS5 DE has the same specs as the regular PS5, just lacks a disc drive. Price difference will be $100 or less.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
It's simply unrealistic that Sony can match the PS5 DE to XSS. The specs are completely different, the best scenario is $399 but even then that's pushing it. The most realistic price is $499 for the PS5 and $449 for the PS5 DE, based on the price difference of the XB1S and XB1S AD

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
If the ps5de is $399 I'll feel bad for microsoft

but maaaaaan my wallet will appreciate it and confirm I'm getting both no matter what.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
PS5 DE will definitely not cost $299.
It's possible PS5 DE is $499 for all we know and the PS5 w/ Blu Ray drive at $599
Point is, the price isn't clear yet, and Sony may not be as keen to swallow production cost / bet on higher DE uptake to compensate.
You can safely assume DE will be cheaper, but by how much, and what is the PS5 w'/ Blu Ray drive price

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
As people have already said, the Series S is a much watered down version of the Series X. The PS5 Digital Edition is just a PS5 without a blu ray drive.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
NGL with all these cost threads I'm getting worried we're gonna be slapped in the face with price...

I expected XSX and PS5 to both be 499 but if MS is willing to eat the cost ato get to 499, I'm thinking PS5 may be higher.

At the same time I absolutely cannot see them repeating FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE YOU ESS DOLLARS. They just can't lol. Not even for the memes!

EDIT: what Nzyme32 said couple posts above is my fear.

I am afraid you're out of luck then...

dwdwdwad.png
Why do I actually love this more than the white one?!

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I always been a Nintendo fan since the first NES and the PSX/N64 was my first generation that I owned multiple machine because the amount of games that wasn't available on the N64 like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Driver and so on.

Then the first Xbox launched and felt in love with Halo and since then I have been on Nintendo camp for my love of Nintendo games and on MS camp for my love of Halo and be able to play all the big third parties games.

Now I have a switch and planing to trade in my Xbox one X for the Series X.

If Sony follows what MS did with the Series S I might grab one next year just to play Sony exclusives.

No way you will see a PS5 Digital for $299. Contrary to Microsoft, Sony is selling the same console with and without a disc reader. The lowest price I expect to see is $399.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Well it'll be the launch day of all time when PS5 DE can match XSS price. I also don't think there's a possibility that Sony would go higher than XSX with PS5's price.

Then again, digital edition probably needs to have that $100 difference to regular PS5. Something like $50 difference just isn't enough to sell two different SKU's. Wouldn't make any sense to pick up digital if you're already buying something that expensive.

So, PS5 $499 and DE $399.
Can't see it going any other way.