• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha thanks for the laugh. A $299 PS5 is completely infeasible.

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony follows what MS did with the Series S I might grab one next year just to play Sony exclusives.

They're not the same type of console. The S is entry level, the digital PS5 is closer to Series X. How likely do you think it is Sony would be willing to take that large a hit? They won't even compete with Game Pass xD I'm sorry but it's beyond wishful thinking.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If Sony follows what MS did with the Series S I might grab one next year just to play Sony exclusives.

Deliver a version that is less than half as powerful as their flagship model?
Series S isn't cheap because it's digital, and sony has already committed to a single hardware profile aside from the disc drive.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Is there like some propaganda out there equating the digital PS5 to the Series S in terms of power? What has people thinking a more powerful machine will launch for the same price?

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
It's surprising that there are people who are not aware that PS5 DE is just PS5 minus the disk drive.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
It's very strange to me that you buy Xbox consoles for their exclusives over buying a PlayStation. But in regards to your post, no chance ps5 digital edition will be that cheap. I'm thinking it'll be closer to ÂŁ350 (399 dollars)

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
there is zero chance in hell the DE will be 299. Its literally 2.5X the power of the Series S.
if its 399 then its a really good deal. - 449 is probably the ceiling on it.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
If the DE is exactly the same config of the full edition sans disc drive for 300, its an amazing value. Thats what im going to get.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I don't get people. The DE is not going to be $300. The PS5 DE and Series S are not even comparable products beyond "They're one of two next gen skus for their respective companies."

Last edited:

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They're not the same product. Ps5 digital is exactly the same as the other model, it just lacks the disc drive. I don't get it

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The PS5 DE is not gonna be $300. Remember it has all of the PS5 specs, just minus an optical drive.

I do think they take a loss on it and go down to $399, and it's well worth that extra $100 over the Series S.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Do people not understand that the PS5DE is literally a PS5 just without a disk drive? This isn't a console with totally different specs like

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
It's very strange to me that you buy Xbox consoles for their exclusives over buying a PlayStation. But in regards to your post, no chance ps5 digital edition will be that cheap. I'm thinking it'll be closer to ÂŁ350 (399 dollars)

You think people who buy Xbox don't enjoy their exclusives?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I really wish Sony followed what MS did with the Series S, but sadly they didn't.
im glad they didnt. way better the way they did one architecture to get highly optimized games. also looking at what DF said MS's idea really was because it was easier to utilize the 7nm to have it smaller than trying to do a slim Xbox one X. which makes total sense.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
IF it hits 399 its a steal

-6gig more RAM
-over 2x GPU
-over 2x SSD speed
-2x mem bandwidth
-300gig more drive space

easily worth the extra $100.
Yeah. Sony aren't doing a half next gen digital console like with the Series S so $299 just ain't happening. $399 for the PS5 digital would be insane value though, much better value for money than either of Xbox's offerings.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
To follow MS price point they need to price it 499.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
PS5 Digital version will at best cost $400, and even that is doubtfull. It is still a full 4K-ready console, just without a BD drive.

Still, since you have missed all of the PS4 exclusives, you will have great library of games when you finally get some version of PS5. Just wait for the pricedrop down the line.