• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would this factor in your decision of getting a PS5?

• Yes, I wouldn't get one

Votes: 1,155 44.6%
  • Yes, I'd wait more than normal before getting it

Votes: 353 13.6%
  • Nope, I'd still get it.

Votes: 1,084 41.8%

• Total voters

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
nah, consoles for ease of use for the living room gaming, I work on a computer and last thing I want to do at the end of a long day is hunch over a desk at home, and before anyone says I can plug in pc to the TV, duh I know, but from the looks of threads about HDR on windows or getting VRR to work we are still far from plug and play in PC space.
However having Sony first party games on PC? No problem, great news as developers will get more money, one thing that is of a small concern is that developing with PC in mind will shift focus from utilising console hardware to its fullest to a design with scalability in mind with sub optimal console versions.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
No, I will get both still. But it does make me way more interested in beefing up my PC this generation. Hype!

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I only buy PlayStation consoles for exclusives, so if it has no exclusives I would see no reason to buy one.
If it were my primary console I'd probably still get one.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
People should hold their horses for a little bit

Horizon's port is just a rumour so far. And we would be looking at a port of an almost 4 years old game.

IF Sony decides to bring their games to PC simultaneously , sure, PC + Switch all the way

But that's not gonna happen. PS4 is breaking record sales, so selling the PS5 will be a big deal for Sony too.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Eventually as the kids get older I might build a gaming PC but for the time being consoles are more convenient and fit my lifestyle better.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking that Sony will put all of their NEW first party titles on PC...
LMAO, It's not going to happen.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
People should hold their horses for a little bit

Horizon's port is just a rumour so far. And we would be looking at a port of an almost 4 years old game.

IF Sony decides to bring their games to PC simultaneously , sure, PC + Switch all the way

But that's not gonna happen. PS4 is breaking record sales, so selling the PS5 will be a big deal for Sony too.
Jason reported. It's true.

Oct 27, 2017
My PC isn't good enough and I prefer to play the majority of my games on console anyway. (No, not from a comfy couch! I play both console and PC from my chair :P)

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the timeframe. 3 years like Horizon? Nope, still getting a PS5. Day and date like Microsoft is doing? PlayStation consoles could become irrelevant to me.
yeah i think i agree with this, it depends on how much the time exclusivity is if it exists, if its only a year too i would not get a ps5, 3 years is a long wait though and would make me think

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
Literally the only reason I own a PS4 is for exclusives and even then I haven't played most of the ones I bought. Still never finished Spiderman or Until Dawn and Days Gone is still shrink-wrapped.

Yeah if Sony's games start coming to PC, I'm not getting a Playstation anymore. This isn't some sort of boycott to be clear, it's just that I REALLY like gaming on a laptop.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Good question.

If it wasn't for the supposedly SSD magic with the PS5, yes it would factor. I was already thinking about that with MS, but if Sony did it too???

It might be a done deal.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
I don't mind waiting a year or two for a pc release. I've double dipped on pretty much all Sony consoles including the Vita and PSP, but between my backlog and having a decently beefy gaming pc I'm tempted to skip the PS5 if this keeps up.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
3 major Sony exclusives or franchises in the last 4 months have now been confirmed for PC.

Death Stranding
The Show
Horizon

I wonder what's next

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Hell yes. I would worry less about buying PS5 as far as it selling out. More ppl would flock to PC versions of the games if it was around the same time. More easy access for me to purchase PS5 anxiety free.

danielvdell

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Los Angeles
No, I'd still get a PS5. I have an amazing gaming PC but some games (mostly third-person titles) I just prefer to play on the comfort of my couch without the hassle of moving my computer to the living room.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I barely play Sony's first party games as it is. I'm still buying a PS5 for the third party exclusives that seem to be allergic to PC. Like Atlus with Persona.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
3 major Sony exclusives or franchises in the last 4 months have now been confirmed for PC.

Death Stranding
The Show
Horizon

I wonder what's next

Dreams. Tom Phillips from Eurogamer has pretty much indirectly spelled it out for us.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Good question.

If it wasn't for the supposedly SSD magic with the PS5, yes it would factor. I was already thinking about that with MS, but if Sony did it too???

It might be a done deal.

SSD already exists on PC though doesn't it? I just can't imagine if you buy both xbox and ps4, why you would do that for 1000 dollars when you could do 1000 on one system that plays both and will run better than both.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I've already got a gaming PC, so I'd definitely at least wait on the PS5. If it comes out at $500 I'm not Day 1 without some insane packins.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Looking at it from someone who has a PC and usually buys all platforms it seems like a no brainer to put your exclusives on PC. Sony can sell me a playstation at some point to get access to those exclusives or they can get my money now for their exclusives on PC. Regardless, I won't be spending money on multiplatform games on Playstation or PS Plus or anything like that because that's not where I play everything, so they're not losing out on money from me there. It's basically just whatever their tiny profit margin on a console sale would be that they would no longer get from me every 5 to 7 years, and they might sell me on more of their games if I can play them as they come out with the zeitgeist around them instead of months or years later.

Same goes for Microsoft with people who mainly play on Playstation, and I think that's why they've gone with this strategy.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
This is short sighted. This adds to the list of games sony is bringing over, including a game that hasn't even been made yet (mlb the show will be on all platforms), this signals a very clear strategy shift that has been trending in the industry for a few years now. If sony goes this route or close to it with PS5 I honestly don't see why I would invest money in these consoles when I can just consolidate all that money onto one platform in PC.

Is it really? What sort of simultaneous release windows have we seen announced from non-sports first parties. Even Death Stranding which was announced for PC prior to launch had a later PC launch window, from a non-Sony developer. I'm not sure what signals you've seen from "the industry" about their exclusive content but it hasn't manifested in the way you're insinuating outside of the one platform that also happens to hold the dominant PC gaming OS.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Still get a PS5. I'm assuming most, if not all of these games will most definitely not be on PC day one. And I want them day one.

You know how many people would've said this about HZD just a few months ago?

HZD is nearly 3 years old, so not new. Nice that more people can play this fantastic game, but I'm not waiting that long.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Is it really? What sort of simultaneous release windows have we seen announced from non-sports first parties. Even Death Stranding which was announced for PC prior to launch had a later PC launch window, from a non-Sony developer. I'm not sure what signals you've seen from "the industry" about their exclusive content but it hasn't manifested in the way you're insinuating outside of the one platform that also happens to hold the dominant PC gaming OS.

I'm not confirming anything, I'm saying it's clearly trending in this direction. Cloud gaming and the ability to move your games across platforms is huge in the industry right now and sony is putting together their solution right now with horizon, the show, death stranding, and now dreams (which we don't even know if that's timed or not). Point is the value of the console is lost when these games aren't exclusive. If they do trophies on PC that makes it even easier, will just go in on a PC.

Zones

Oct 28, 2017
Judging by those votes, I see people are very dramatic and don't like choices.
Nothing dramatic, it's just being smart.

I mean if you own a gaming PC and plan to upgrade yours occasionally, then why spend/waste money on a different platform that requires an additional sub to play online?

PC gaming itself provides far more choice for the individual games, for example you can play in different aspect ratio such as 21:9, you can easily change FOV, you can choose performance or resolution based on your preference, plus many many other options that you simply don't have on consoles.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Because not everyone wants to build and maintain a big windows desktop computer.

Can you explain Maintain? It's really no different than a console. The idea that you'll have to keep upgrading is mostly false. If you have a PC that is similar to PS4 in power it'll run all that generations games fine.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
SSD already exists on PC though doesn't it? I just can't imagine if you buy both xbox and ps4, why you would do that for 1000 dollars when you could do 1000 on one system that plays both and will run better than both.
Yes, I know that PCs already have SSD.

In talking about the supposedly customizations Sony has done to the one in the PS5.

If games are taking more advantage of the tech in the PS5 than on PC, that's something for me to think about.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Still get a PS5. I'm assuming most, if not all of these games will be on PC day one. And I want them day one

HZD is nearly 3 years old, so not new. Nice that more people can play this fantastic game, but I'm not waiting that long.

It's not new but I'm pretty sure nobody expected Sony to release any of their big first party games on PC. Not even one that's 3 years old. The thread about it wouldn't be 38 pages long if people did lol.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
No, I'd still get a PS5. As someone who spent decades with PC as my main platform, it's an investment of time, space, and expense I don't really care for any more.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be more likely to skip ps5, and saying that as someone who is not at all deterred from series x with Microsoft doing this on pc.

The reason being gamepass on both console and pc being different, while I don't think pc gamepass is completely there yet, the ecosystem is worth it to own both

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Yes. I have owned every home console made since the NES from every company that makes one but if Sony joins MSFT in that their exclusives are on PC, I will drop both and build a PC the day it is announced. I would still buy Nintendo home consoles unless they also follow as well but I doubt that happens. My only wish would be that PSN is connected in someway so I can still get trophies with the games on PC.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Depends on the gap between the console release and PC port. If all their games drop day&date both on console and PC I wouldn't buy the PS5. However, if the PC ports are always 1-2 years after the console release I would buy a PS5.

I have zero patience and would cave when a big game is out.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not confirming anything, I'm saying it's clearly trending in this direction. Cloud gaming and the ability to move your games across platforms is huge in the industry right now and sony is putting together their solution right now with horizon, the show, death stranding, and now dreams (which we don't even know if that's timed or not). Point is the value of the console is lost when these games aren't exclusive. If they do trophies on PC that makes it even easier, will just go in on a PC.

Cloud gaming hasn't hit stride as of yet and it isn't the industries choice in the US, ISPs decide that. YMMV. Also, I'd argue you're largely wrong on the value of consoles. They serve the purpose of providing all in one, easy to use gaming devices without need for any of the issues and compatibility/update concerns that come with PC at a lower price than the PC lower-midrange and up tends to offer.

I'll start paying attention when 1st party IPs start getting simulaunched outside of Sony/MLB realizing their underutilizing their paid exclusivity.