• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would this factor in your decision of getting a PS5?

• Yes, I wouldn't get one

Votes: 1,155 44.6%
  • Yes, I'd wait more than normal before getting it

Votes: 353 13.6%
  • Nope, I'd still get it.

Votes: 1,084 41.8%

• Total voters

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I would skip the PS5 if that was the case. My money is better spent on a nice PC that will have backward and forward compatibility, set render and fps targets, and generally be more open than consoles. I wish I didn't need a switch either (though I possibly would still get one for portable stuff).

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I would just get a PC.
It will have all MS games plus the Sony ones, and free online.
And they already support Dualshock.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I would probably still buy a PS5 down the line for those weird Japanese games that get late ports, or don't get ports at all. (Atlus)

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Even if Sony required you to have PS+ to play their 1st party games on PC I would gladly do it.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
If games go to PC, even eventually PC. If not PS5. I am planning on getting a PS5 on the first month is out for backwards compatibility with ps4, but if everything goes to PC, then PC.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Would definitely wait more than normal. As an example: the main reason I even picked up an Xbox One was to play Lost Odyssey again; virtually all of that console's heavy hitters were also on PC, so I just played them there. If the PS5 pulled a similar move, I'd do the same thing.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
Doesn't matter on which deivce you are playing in the future. Every company will push their storefront / services and try to be aviable on as much devices as possible.

If Sony goes that multi deivce route, i will would appreciate it kindly.

Jun 23, 2019
Hmm, I'd probably wait more than normal and beef up my PC. Almost no point in getting a PS5 at that point if all the games I want are going to play and be better on PC. Of course Sony knows that and isn't going to release 1st party titles on PC outside of PSNOW though.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i'll probably get it just because of my current setup. I prefer console for that comfy couch and i'm just too invested on the ecosystem with my previous purchases (BC), trophies and friends.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
work in enterprise IT. the last thing i want to touch at home is a Windows/linux machine when i'm at home relaxing despite me having the income to probably build a pc that can launch a nuclear strike.

Still, i suppose exclusives albeit timed plays a role in any platform. and it's not just games industry that does that. The latest pixel phones got some (timed) exclusive features over last year's model. The google camera is exclusive to pixel phones only. Certain apple services and features will only be exclusive to apple forever (i.e. apple watch only connects to iphones), etc etc etc. So i don't get what the hooha is about in terms of platform exclusivity when it's literally what the tech world has been playing since its conception.

Even in enterprise tech, there's exclusivity. HPE stuff are not compatible with Dell and IBM, etc etc......you can integrate vmware stuff into your citrix xenstudio but citrix makes it way easier if you use xenserver, etc...but i digress.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
I guess only people with powerful PC's would skip out on the PS5, but for me, I hate PC gaming - or actually Windows in general. Been like 10 years since i quit building PC's and got myself a console and I'm never ever going back again. The simplicity and convenience of a console is just too great. Nowadays we don't even need a PC or laptop to browse the web or anything anymore; I do that on an iPad, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Edit quote RestEerie : This is exactly what I'm talking about, actually lmao:
work in enterprise IT. the last thing i want to touch at home is a Windows/linux machine when i'm at home relaxing despite me having the income to probably build a pc that can launch a nuclear strike.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Personally the savings I see from single player or games I'm not sure I'll keep long on console is too great for me to ignore. I still choose PC for my big titles. But most other ones are on console. Any long term games I get are on PC.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
naw i'd still get a ps5. PC gaming just isn't for me.
Same. Once upon a time I gamed on PC. I no longer have any interest outside of some World of Warcraft.

Also the MLB deal signifies nothing except a change in the MLB contract. Get a grip, y'all.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Easily would skip. I've got a new computer, if they let their stuff come to it I would buy the games. Otherwise I'd be waiting awhile to dive in.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
If exclusives weren't a thing I'd never buy a console again. I know some people like the convenience, but it's not worth the restrictions for me.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Nope still would get it since playstation is my primary game platform for both first and third party titles.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably still get one, as I still like my physical media and relative easiness of consoles.

But, whenever I go digital only, that would be the time to go full PC.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Yup would totally skip it to buy a good pc to play sony, microsoft and general pc games on one mashine.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd maybe get one for dirt cheap during the final years of the generation. The only issue here is I want a dedicated console and would I'd have to have two builds. I'm not going to use my eventually OLED panel as a desktop monitor

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
In that case wouldn't get one, no. Although I've bought a lot of MGS games on PC this gen using the money I would've spent on the machine and more. I guess it would be the same for Sony's games.

Mirabai

Nov 4, 2017
Well I wouldn't buy one. I mainly use my PS4 for Twitch / Netflix / Youtube and only play exclusives on it.
So if i had the option, PC all day.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
If everything would be on PC day one including PSVR games, then I'd have to seriously consider giving up PlayStation consoles and physical media.

It'd be more expensive to buy at first, but I'd be able to play all games I want on the same machine and use one VR headset for everything.
BC wouldn't be a problem any longer and not only for software, but for wheels, flightsticks etc. too.

Consoles would have almost zero reason to exist any longer honestly, it'd be Switch and PC.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Lul i was wondering why this thread suddenly popped up, but it's after MLB announcement. Quite hilarious to see all Era fanboys suddenly ''i'm moving to PC only, thx Sony''. It never was a good idea to lock an annual sports game behind single platform.
Sony will keep few of the biggest IP's fully exclusive, so y'alll still buying their consoles.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We had pretty much this exact same thread less than a week ago based on a single tweet and no real evidence to support it.

No I don't think they should. I don't think they will. It all comes across as kind of elaborate port begging, I'm not complaining, it just does.

Personally with next gen I'm looking forward to PC having less relevance as it's last few advantages are chipped away at. Appliances just make more sense than bespoke hand built machines running on office software operating systems.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'd skip the PS5 but I would probably still buy a shitload of games on whatever store/ecosystem Playstation had, as long as it's good.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony exclusives end up on PC, even if it meant Sony pushed out their own launcher and it sucked gutter ass, I'd skip the PS5 in a heartbeat.

That'd mean Nintendo would get more console love from me.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, I only bought a PS3 and PS4 to play Sony exclusives. Their games coming to PC, my number one gaming platform, would make a ps5 100% obsolete for me.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony will release some games on pc but they won't be Day 1 releases.

I'll still buy a PS5

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all.

Because I'm not buying one either way. I don't care for the majority of Sony's game output and the few games I was mildly interested in are becoming multi-platform (or at least getting a PC release). That, and I haven't owned a Sony console since I sold my PS2 in '05. I received a PSP as a birthday gift in 07' but I hardly played it at all outside on Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and DJMax Portable 3.