• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Ok lets get this out of the way. Lets avoid the whole Sonic Adventure games are shit I don't want SA3 thing. It's not the thread for that. If we could also avoid posts like "SA3 already exists it's Sonic 06" that would be grand too. Alrighty with that out of the way, lets get to it.

So gameplay. I think it really does just need to be in the style of SA1 and 2, just refined. Go back to that kind of pace, that kind of linearity with some room for exploration and full 3D movement not totally on rails.

Multiple playable characters is a must for a new Sonic Adventure game, but it needs to be more grounded than what the first 2 games did. We don't need genre roulette. I think we have 3 playable characters. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and I think we give them all stages unique to them and have levels designed with their movesets in mind.

The non Sonic stuff should still play similarly to Sonic but with stage designs built for other character abilities. Like, have Knuckles stages still be a linear point A to point B affair like Sonic's gameplay, just with a bit more of an open design to accomodate for his climbing and gliding abilities.

Chao Garden. Has to return in a big way. It's one of the biggest things fans wish would return and Sega should give it to them. And hey if Sega really want to rake in the cash they've certainly got their ways to do just that with a Chao Garden in the modern era like it or not...

So, what would you like from a Sonic Adventure 3? How would you like it to be done?

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Beat from Jet Set Radio is the antagonist and he's tearing up Sonic World with graffiti

Sonic/Beat stages

Naganuma soundtrack

Chao Garden

Oct 27, 2017
  • Drop Sonic friends, make it Sonic only (or make then DLC)
  • Chao Garden, if only because fans loved it back in the day
  • Have platforming be actual platforming, not automatically mashing your way between springs.
  • Drop all pretenses of storytelling, nobody is here for that.
  • An open world/sandbox wouldnt be a bad idea.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I'd want the explorable hubs from SA1 to return but to be a bit more refined. Have more optional side stuff to do in them for each character.

But also add in the ability to just jump to unlocked Action stages from a menu for people who'd rather not run back and forth, or at least put some quick travel points around.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I think SA3 should take a lot from the Classic games. Have different characters with different moves, but that aren't that different from each other.

Also, Zones should be a bit more creative. Not "generic city", "generic forest", "does this remind you of Ice Cap? Because it should", etc.

Obviously no 2D sections, one returning Zone at most and it has to have the most important element in the series, the chao garden.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Keep the SA2 style Sonic/Shadow levels and also perfect/speed up the hunting levels. Remove the shooter levels and replace them with more speed levels and maybe something else fun. Expand the Chao garden a ton with online modes, etc. Make the tone more like SA1 so it's less 'dark'.

Obviously fix the crappy camera and bug issues. Also add mobile phone transferring for Chao stuff so we can raise them on the go, GBA/VMU style.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
If we're gonna need multiple playable characters then it should Sonic, Metal Sonic, and Blaze.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It would be done poorly like all Sonic Team games. But in some dream scenario where they got their shit together it would probably be something like the daytime levels of Unleashed.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
sonic adventure 3 is essentially all the 3D games that came after. i don't think a "3" will fix anything even if it is a decent game in conception

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
sonic adventure 3 is essentially all the 3D games that came after. i don't think a "3" will fix anything even if it is a decent game in conception

Exactly. Sonic Heroes is SA3. Sonic the Hedgehog is SA4. Unleashed is SA 5. Colors is SA6. Generations is SA7. They've never deviated that far from the 3D sonic formula. Even the two storybook games are still on the SA blueprint of shitty game design.

They should just make a mobile Chao game.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Make something like Banjo kazooie, replace notes with springs, jiggies with animal pod things and level bosses with robotnik creations. Big levels to actually give a point to Sonic's speed. Make platforming actually feel good. Axe the homing nonsense.
I dunno, I never liked 3D sonic so I figure making it more like a game i do enjoy would work :P

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stick to the core three characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles), and have them share the same base gameplay, but with their respective movesets. Sonic gets Homing Attack, Tails can Fly, Knuckles can climb walls and glide. Any other characters can be unlockables who adhere to the same gameplay as one of those three. Prefect the base movement, the moment to moment gameplay, and the camera controls for each character before designing levels. Stick to 3D stages and ideally with limited/no boost.

And obviously Chao Garden has to come back. With extensive online elements.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There should be a scene where you want to protect Sonic.

Okay seriously though, Adventure 2's Sonic/Shadow levels with about four characters (Sonic, Shadow, Tails, Knuckles) and at best marginal gameplay differences. It's all about going fast, grinding rails, and homing attacks.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Chao Garden is all that is needed.

Really I just want to play as "modern" Sonic in 3D levels with no friends or gimmicks. Sonic doesn't need any wisps, he doesn't need to turn into a Wolf, he definitely doesn't need a sword. Just basic ass 3D Sonic. Mania was so great cause they cut out all the bullshit and took it back to basics. They really haven't done that with 3D Sonic, they're always trying something experimental or trying to slap a gimmick on it.

Vert1

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Sonic Adventure's physics engine + The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's open world design (shrines replaced by race courses).

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Chao Garden and give Blaze the Cat her own story. Don't include Silver in it.

Oh, and give Omega the shooty levels Gamma had just cuz.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I never played any Sonic Adventure(SNES-PS1 kid), so it's always interessing to see the passion some people has for it.
Make it like Mario Odyssey but with huge levels.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
  1. Better platforming and speed sections that are actually fun to play.
  2. Boss fights that aren't just 'use the homing attack over and over again'
  3. Absolutely no treasure hunting levels.
  4. Chao garden with online features.
  5. Have Crush 40 do the theme song of course

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
First of all, make it like Adventure 1 with a hub world and multiple storylines, but limit it to 5 with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Shadow. These characters are the most beloved, so they all need to be playable, and you can always throw in cameos by the some of the others, like Blaze and Cream.

The gameplay I think should be reminiscent of the previous entries for Sonic and Shadow, but that also should be the basis for the rest of the characters, so no gimmicks like races, fishing, or being chased around by Zero. Make them go through the same speed levels, but allow their secondary abilities to let them take different paths, so basically, the same idea as in the classics. With that said, I'm admittedly kind of 50/50 on the treasure hunting because I don't find them inherently bad, actually I think they're pretty easy, plus they're iconic.

As for the story, again, make it like Adventure 1, where it's serious and mysterious, but don't jump the shark and go full teen angst like Adventure 2 did. For the bad guy, I think since this is the return to the Adventure formula in a long while, it has to be a "monster of the week" plus Robotnik, until his eventual team up with the good guys at the end.

Then for music, it has to be Crush 40. An Adventure 3 wouldn't be right without them.

So yeah, overall, I think a more polished and streamlined Adventure 1 should be their approach. Oh, and add a chao garden too.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to have a laugh or anything but honestly, isn't Sonic Adventure 3 just Sonic Heroes? I don't see a cohesive thread that unifies SA1 and 2 together that isn't also maintained in the other games, other than Chao Garden.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I pretty much want the same thing stated in the OP. I'll only add that I want Sonic gameplay as it was in Sonic Adventure 2 and do not want boost gameplay nor do I want 2D sections. Oh, and a nice cheesy story would be nice. Oh, and no Silver please.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I have to agree with the posts saying more SA1 less SA2. I think story wise SA1 had the best approach it was serious but never went where SA2 did. And I'd like to see an explorable hub return if it was done right.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
If anything, avoid being like a Adventure 2 crap festival. More closer to Adventure 1(both terms of tone and gameplay)sounds reasonable and less terrible.

And avoid throwing excessive characters. Just the main ones: Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Amy. Avoid mistakes like Big, Silver, Blaze and Shadow.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a stupid post, it's like SA3 if they gutted out the Chao garden and then butchered the entire game, sure?

It has Adventure fields and Action stages, as well as multiple playable protagonists and an intertwining stories that ends with a Super finale. It has more in common with Sonic Adventure 1 in that regard than Sonic Adventure 2 did.

Chao are not the defining feature of the Adventure series.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It has Adventure fields and Action stages, as well as multiple playable protagonists and an intertwining stories that ends with a Super finale. It has more in common with Sonic Adventure 1 in that regard than Sonic Adventure 2 did.

Chao are not the defining feature of the Adventure series.

They are a very important part of the series considering how much people have been screaming for another since. Just as Dino Crisis fans want a genuine third game despite there is an ACTUAL 3, Sonic 2006 is similar structurally to SA but it's a broken buggy mess that barely functions. I say this as someone who literally beat the entire game, 1000/1000 achievement points. It's a total trash fire of a game that barely functions.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Sonic 06 is SA3 in all but name. It is. Nevertheless, it's besides the point and I did try to get this thread away from that discussion with the OP. But I always knew that was futile...

Dec 2, 2017
This is such a stupid post, it's like SA3 if they gutted out the Chao garden and then butchered the entire game, sure?
It sure was. Multiple playable characters and amigos with very different gameplay styles, different stories all coming together towards the end, an unlockable ending with super form sonic being used to defeat the final boss (even borrows the uniting the chaos emeralds gameplay section from adventure 2) character upgrades, terrible bugs and camera. Pretty self evident.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It sure was. Multiple playable characters and amigos with very different gameplay styles, different stories all coming together towards the end, an unlockable ending with super form sonic being used to defeat the final boss (even borrows the uniting the chaos emeralds gameplay section from adventure 2) character upgrades, terrible bugs and camera. Pretty self evident.

Hereos was also 'very similar' structurally to SA2, it even loosely continued the plot. When people ask for SA3, they are asking for a return to form for the series. Call it SA5 if you want, it makes no difference, aside the fact no game called SA3 exist.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
The emerald hunts are good and have a ton of potential for improvement.

Honestly I would be okay with just Sonic and Knuckles. I enjoyed the level of control and pace of play in the Sonic/Shadow levels in SA2 more than the boost ganes so I'd like to see that refined as well.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was Sonic Adventure 3. It's evident.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Sonic 06 is SA3 in all but name. It is. Nevertheless, it's besides the point and I did try to get this thread away from that discussion with the OP. But I always knew that was futile...

Maybe you should put it in larger font and in bold too in the the OP. I'm with you, because I don't want to read about whether Sonic '06 is Adventure 3 for the 100th time, when it honestly doesn't matter.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
They are a very important part of the series considering how much people have been screaming for another since. Just as Dino Crisis fans want a genuine third game despite there is an ACTUAL 3, Sonic 2006 is similar structurally to SA but it's a broken buggy mess that barely functions. I say this as someone who literally beat the entire game, 1000/1000 achievement points. It's a total trash fire of a game that barely functions.
I'm entirely aware its a trash fire, that doesn't make it any less secretly Adventure 3.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Kinda surprised Sega hasn't released a Chao garden game for iOS & Android.

Anyways, bring back Amy's kinda/not really survival horror campaign. Get rid of Knuckles' terrible collecting stages and give us a 3D brawler.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I get how annoying it may be to hear this, but I legitimately would love just a Sonic 2006 done right. Structurally it's what I would want from an SA3. A handful of protagonists who have segments of gameplay where you play as one of their many allies to progress. Maybe in a true SA3 you could have the ability to choose when you change characters to offer up alternate routes to completing each stage, and of course Chao Garden is a must.

Being broken or buggy is irrelevant to the argument of its relationship with SA1/2 because obviously that wasn't the intent. Sonic 3 wouldn't magically not be Sonic 3 if it had some game breaking glitch. Slap on the Chao garden and we wouldn't even have this debate because the other connections are obvious.