• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Depending on the amount, if it's low then you celebrate, if we're talking millions here you disappear and tell no one.

Gunship

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Misogyny; Racism; Boys Club Rhetoric
Laser hair removal back/sac/crack

Good hi-fi

Thai Wife

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Pay their debts and their parent's debts and their friend's debts and etc etc

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I would just split it into maybe 3 different bank accounts and not much more, once you've got that kind of money what's the point bothering with stocks or property portfolios

My only real vice would honestly be cars which I would buy many of

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
1. Don't tell anyone. Anyone. Not even your dog.
rWkVEgq.gif

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
Use your lump sum money you got to fund investments that can build up your passive income and cash flow. Like my wife and I have been buying real estate and then converting them to Air BNB type houses. used my money to fund an Amazon based company. Build that cash flow. Talk with an advisor but make sure it's a good and trusted one.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
Yeah I used to think about this all the time.

1. Get a financial advisor.
2. Get a financial lawyer to help you set up trust funds and companies and what not.
3. Depending on how much you ended up having, create a list of the most important people in your life and set up a trust fund for them.
4. Be discrete and so on.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I would just split it into maybe 3 different bank accounts and not much more, once you've got that kind of money what's the point bothering with stocks or property portfolios

Each account would only be FDIC insured for up to $250,000. That's why you get a fiduciary, and spread it over multiple, multiple fairly low risk mutual funds, trusts, etc.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The first thing you would do is put most of it away.

Safe investments. Bonds, Roth IRA, all that stuff. That way you'll see a slow but steady percent returns on that huge wealth. That way you'll have rolling wealth that replenishes itself as you use it, as long as you don't live beyond your means.

The next thing you would do is probably quit your job and move - but not into a mansion or anything. Just a "nice" house in a nice area.

Budget your entertainment each year, and just live a life of enjoyable free time. You don't need to splurge.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Also ,are you black or a person of color? Or White?

This is very important. If you're black, or a person of color be VERY CAREFUL where you move to. It can be the difference between life and death. If you're white, move from your old home/apt once word spreads. depending on how much money, (like millions) hire personal security for a few months.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You get a financial advisor who manages this stuff for you
This is actually very bad.

Many of the athletes that go broke did so because they outsourced too much.

The most successful tend to watch their money. An advisor is just that, an advisor. You still need to exercise agency.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The next thing you would do is probably quit your job and move - but not into a mansion or anything. Just a "nice" house in a nice area.

People (including me) always say this but I wonder what percentage of big lottery winners geuninely move into just a "nice" house and not some mansion

OP
OP
KAMI-SAMA

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Also ,are you black or a person of color? Or White?

This is very important. If you're black, or a person of color be VERY CAREFUL where you move to. It can be the difference between life and death. If you're white, move from your old home/apt once word spreads. depending on how much money, (like millions) hire personal security for a few months.

Can you explain this more?

OP
OP
KAMI-SAMA

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
The first thing you would do is put most of it away.

Safe investments. Bonds, Roth IRA, all that stuff. That way you'll see a slow but steady percent returns on that huge wealth. That way you'll have rolling wealth that replenishes itself as you use it, as long as you don't live beyond your means.

Budget your entertainment each year, and just live a life of enjoyable free time. You don't need to splurge.

What's wrong with buying a mansion?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on what kind of money we're talking about. Most of the responses seem to be in the order of multi million dollar lottery winnings or something.

If it's not enough for you to immediately retire and live out the rest of your life in the lap of luxury, then I probably wouldn't do anything at all, just stick it in the bank (investment funds or whatever) and forget about it.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People (including me) always say this but I wonder what percentage of big lottery winners geuninely move into just a "nice" house and not some mansion

I think a house kinda like what John Wick had would be perfect. That's probably a $500,000 to $1 million home and it's more than enough.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Can you explain this more?
Sure.

As a black person, or a person of color (not counting white passing minorities), even when rich, if you move into a rich neighborhood there is a chance of someone seeing you, or your kids and calling the cops on you. There have been celebrities who people called the cops on thinking they were "breaking into" their own house. If you jog at night or during the day, etc. You have to do your due diligence on the neighborhood for your own sake and your family's sake. You don't want your son or daughter outside playing, or jogging, only to have the cops roll up on them.

And I say move because once it becomes known (and it will, it always does), people, rather family, "friends", even strangers, will roll up to your home/apt. especially if it was in a normal not so nice area. Personally I'd go to a real nice hotel which doesn't just let anyone wander the halls for a bit as I sort everything out. If we're talking millions. hundreds of thousands, put it in the bank, don't go on spending sprees, invest carefully. I also recommend big firms because they have experience with this thing, not some small time lawyer, no offense to them.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is lame AF. Here's what you do:

BUY not rent a brand new stretch Lamborghini limo and pay like 6 smoking hot super models to party with you and snoop dog for a week straight as you tour New Zealand since it's not on lock down while wearing custom made golden silk Ralph Loren boxer shorts and bribe your way into those night clubs that fill the whole place with bubble bath. Smoke the best weed, drink the most expensive liquor, wave around a platinum coated desert eagle,
Make a rap song and produce a movie.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is lame AF. Here's what you do:

BUY not rent a brand new stretch Lamborghini limo and pay like 6 smoking hot super models to party with you and snoop dog for a week straight as you tour New Zealand since it's not on lock down while wearing custom made golden silk Ralph Loren boxer shorts and bribe your way into those night clubs that fill the whole place with bubble bath. Smoke the best weed, drink the most expensive liquor, wave around a platinum coated desert eagle,
Make a rap song and produce a movie.

There is one flaw in your otherwise perfect plan. ...Who brings the coke??

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because the family lawyer being dodgy on the side is such a common theme in movies lol
For sure, yeah. I mean, dodgy lawyers are a recurring theme for decades and there is probably a valid reason for that, but in my experience lawyers are mostly boring and very "by the books" persons.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
You get a financial advisor who manages this stuff for you

I don't understand this way of thinking. Why can't I be smarter than a financial advisor?

I can understand a lawyer and an accountant, but financial advisors for people who are capable of research and rational thought?

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are some examples of a actual trustworthy lawyer or advisor? How does one know you're not hiring a scumbag lawyer or advisor?
Look at firms that have the highest profit per partner ratio in the country. Then use a trust and estates lawyer from one of those who went to an Ivy League law school or equivalent who has also been a partner of that firm for at least 10 years.

It's all publicly available information.

Catilio

Nov 7, 2017
buy land.
With water access.

Setup (at least) two accounts: One where you put all the money. Do not touch this. The second will receive monthly deposits from the first. Give yourself a monthly salary, enough to indulge any thing you may want DURING A MONTH.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
do nothing for about a month with it as you get your affairs and finances in order. Also never tell anyone you're rich.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
9WR2GTA.gif

Note to self: Do NOT Google "2 chicks same time" without putting "2 chicks same time office space". Googling that without "office space" on it...you can guess what I got instead of office space images.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
My Mom got a big inheritance. I introduced her to financial advisors and lawyers that could help her with family planning. She declined, and five years later no money. One of her biggest regrets was she did not listen to me.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with buying a mansion?
Property taxes forever, is another thing. If you paid cash for a mansion but didn't realize lake access meant the property taxes would be $5k/month alone, and you didn't plan a monthly budget very well, you'd spend all your cash reserves on the real estate and not be able to afford its upkeep.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Meet with a financial adviser. They will help with sector allocations based on your wealth and age

Invest a good portion, save a good portion, set aside a good portion for tax purposes (if it's a recent gain)

don't spend money freely unless you can pay for those things over the long haul. Only look at things that don't have long term expensive costs associated with it

Last edited:

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
It can be dangerous (in many forms of the word) to suddenly be sitting on a LOT of money and also to be sitting on that money long term unless the rest of your life somehow adjusts to compensate for that.

I would probably:
-Find out if I can claim anonymously and do that if so
-If not, get with a lawyer or financial advisor and have them inform me on how to claim it the best way
-Claim the money and put it into trusts or whatever the advisor tells me I should do
-Pay off all of my debts
-Improve my living situation ONLY enough that I need and am comfortable with long term
-Calculate the retirement I'd need to maintain that life style
-Lock in that much of whatever I have left of my "winnings" or whatever
-Donate as much as possible of the remainder, as money has a way of attracting bad luck

Result is I'd be debt free, in a much better day to day living situation, and have a big enough emergency fund so that if I can't live off pursuing the things I love doing I could fall back on it.

OP
OP
KAMI-SAMA

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Property taxes forever, is another thing. If you paid cash for a mansion but didn't realize lake access meant the property taxes would be $5k/month alone, and you didn't plan a monthly budget very well, you'd spend all your cash reserves on the real estate and not be able to afford its upkeep.

Interesting, so what are celebs and other wealthy people doing to live in these properties?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, so what are celebs and other wealthy people doing to live in these properties?
I don't think they DO live in those properties.

Also people like MC Hammer end up needing badly to sell them and nobody will buy; plus I'd wager there's a looming unpaid tax bill on some of those sorts of properties that would need to paid off by the buyer at sale.

Basically, get a financial advisor. Don't give yourself a big allowance, because you don't know how not to spend it all at once and be out of money again. Put it in non liquid form so you can't screw yourself over.