• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Sekiro yet and I've never played Tenchu, but I'm hearing multiple sources say Sekiro feels like the wanted to make another Tenchu but knew something at least tangentially tied to Souls would sell more. You think that could happen with the Armored Core framework? What would that even be like?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I think FROM is going back to Armored Core, they just felt like making Sekiro first.

From what I read, the game WAS a Tenchu game but got changed. We'll see

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I would love to see another Armored Core game. Doubly so if it's the clunkier AC games of old, rather than the fast paced AC4+ games.

However, also, I want Miyazaki to make whatever the hell he wants to make.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, I'm expecting the next AC game to actually be something with mechs that isn't called AC, and has influences from Souls in it. As a fan of theirs, I would be much more compelled to play the latter vs. a straight-up AC title since I have very little experience with it (and what I did back in the day didn't really resonate with me).

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like some Souls elements are holding Sekiro back from greatness, so as cool as the idea seems, at this point I'd just like a proper AC that doesn't feel and look like a PS2 game.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see how making Armored Core into a Souls-like would make it sell more.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
At this point, I'm expecting the next AC game to actually be something with mechs that isn't called AC, and has influences from Souls in it. As a fan of theirs, I would be much more compelled to play the latter vs. a straight-up AC title since I have very little experience with it (and what I did back in the day didn't really resonate with me).
Gundam SOuls or RoboTech SOuls?

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
as much as i loved playing armored core, I would be fine with this because I liked souls even more, would be SUPER cool.
however, the armored core fanbase would probably feel extremely betrayed if the next armored core was influenced by souls a lot.
still, at the very least, I would like an armored core with a world to explore to some extent

Feb 2, 2019
I don't find an exact translation of "low-key", but if it means that Sekiro is a sub-par Tenchu, my oh my. Sekiro is way above any Tenchu games and I played most of them recently.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I don't find an exact translation of "low-key", but if it means that Sekiro is a sub-par Tenchu, my oh my. Sekiro is way above any Tenchu games and I played most of them recently.
No, he means it's more or less "secretly a tenchu game". Which, it sort of isn't since they've outright said it started as a Tenchu game.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Armored Core: I sleep

Chrome Hounds: Real shit

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
No joke, I've wanted that for so long. I never even played the originals, but I think an industrial mech-focused SoulsBorne from them could be incredible (maybe especially if it's a spiritual successor to Armored Core, so they can do what they want with the world).

What I think would set it apart is that the camera could be at the perspective it normally is, but the scale would be so much larger. So the level design could excel like it normally does, but feel totally different in presentation. You mix in some dark industrial super structures with paths weaving in and out and reaching to the sky like giant oil refinery/military base/mega city hybrids and make the post-downfall world building focus on climate destruction and military-industrial complex, you've got something very cool imo.

Maybe give the mechs jump packs for huge vertical leaps and dodges, and merge the typical melee focus with major ranged elements so you're doing a lot of shooting and rocket firing in between brutal metallic collisions.

Anyway, I'm backseat developing, but I like the idea of From doing a sci-fi take on their formula.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Sekiro is nothing like Tenchu outside of the fact that you can attack from on top of stuff and the setting. People that say its anything like Tenchu are reaching

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Not even low key, it WAS a Tenchu game originally during development. You can see it in the gameplay primarily with the stealth parts.

I think FROM will do a full blown AC if they ever decide to return to that series.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No joke, I've wanted that for so long. I never even played the originals, but I think an industrial mech-focused SoulsBorne from them could be incredible (maybe especially if it's a spiritual successor to Armored Core, so they can do what they want with the world).

What I think would set it apart is that the camera could be at the perspective it normally is, but the scale would be so much larger. So the level design could excel like it normally does, but feel totally different in presentation. You mix in some dark industrial super structures with paths weaving in and out and reaching to the sky like giant oil refinery/military base/mega city hybrids and make the post-downfall world building focus on climate destruction and military-industrial complex, you've got something very cool imo.

Maybe give the mechs jump packs for huge vertical leaps and dodges, and merge the typical melee focus with major ranged elements so you're doing a lot of shooting and rocket firing in between brutal metallic collisions.

Anyway, I'm backseat developing, but I like the idea of From doing a sci-fi take on their formula.

I think the big issue with Soulsborne design with mechs is...how do you explain the mechs not just breaking down walls to get past obstacles all the time? Mechs really aren't limited movement-wise the same way humans are.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Armored Core.

Make Chromehounds 2, the actual GOAT mech game.

There was so much cool build diversity in that game a fleshed out campaign with the Neroimus War Mode back in its glory would be automatic GOTY

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

"Low-key" rarely implies subpar as far as I know. Personally, I would have preferred a modern tenchu, but I'm just thirsty for a modern ninja stealth game.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Sekiro probably more like Shinobido than Tenchu.

Watching that video now, it's really similar.

Shinobido was all about customizing your garden (you get invaded a lot) and actually crafting materials for stealth and combat. The game is more like a "sandbox" game like Way of the Samurai than Tenchu and Shinobido.

After the tutorials they become radically different beasts. Sekiro feels like an open-world Tenchu game.

Shinobido is a very deceiving game. Think of it as a sandbox ninja game that maybe has three bosses or so, depending on what you define "boss" to be.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
All they realy need is a curse central to the plot, "bonfires" and estus. Slap a mech in there and it's armored souls.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It literally started life as a Tenchu game.

I really, really would love an actual full blown Tenchu sequel though - I was playing the original recently on PS1 and (graphics aside) it really holds up, there's absolutely nothing else like it.
Sekiro is nothing like Tenchu outside of the fact that you can attack from on top of stuff and the setting. People that say its anything like Tenchu are reaching

Doesn't seem like a huge reach of it started as a tenchu game to begin with. Yeah, it's evolved, but there's definitely something familiar about it for some fans of tenchu imo.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I think the big issue with Soulsborne design with mechs is...how do you explain the mechs not just breaking down walls to get past obstacles all the time? Mechs really aren't limited movement-wise the same way humans are.

If the world's fiction is built around that, it's acceptable imo. This could be far future where Mechs, manned and unmanned, are the primary form of combat. If the setting is essentially a giant factory-city, the fiction could support that it was built to be indestructible to typical light mech artillery. Make the exterior of the walls and structures take damage like they typically do with boxes and stuff (this would be next gen, obviously) and you communicate their destructive power without being able to walk through every wall. I mean, if you can't climb certain waist-high walls in the other SoulsBornes, you could easy justify this.

Hell, there could even be certain walls and structures that are destructible. Work it into the gameplay.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Shinobido was all about customizing your garden (you get invaded a lot) and actually crafting materials for stealth and combat. The game is more like a "sandbox" game like Way of the Samurai than Tenchu and Shinobido.

After the tutorials they become radically different beasts. Sekiro feels like an open-world Tenchu game.

Shinobido is a very deceiving game. Think of it as a sandbox ninja game that maybe has three bosses or so, depending on what you define "boss" to be.

If I remember correctly, you could also kidnap enemies and recruit them for something, and the bosses were mainly just highly secured high rank generals in palaces you had to assassinate which was pretty cool.

Oct 27, 2017
All this thread does is make me wish we would get a Shinobido 3. This series has a lot of potential. Imagine having co op ninja action like one of the past Tenchu games. That would be amazing.

Oct 26, 2017
Daemon X Machina is the closest you'll get to a new Armored Core I'm thinking, with the producer of the PS2 games producing it.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I've always assumed the endgame would come as some AC souls style game if they were ever strapped for cash.

AC: V bombed so hard it's hard to say what will become of it though. Everyone seems to just want AC:4 Answer 2

Also if a current gen tenchu game ever released it'd be incredible.