• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will republicans senator give trump the finger now?

• Yes

Votes: 92 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 597 55.7%
  • not a chance -trump maga is too strong.

Votes: 580 54.1%

• Total voters

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Just thought about this... especially IF they lose the senate. There will be no more waiting to see what happens anymore with the races.

what do you guys think?

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Not if they want to retain their goodwill for future races from the pathetic MAGA crowd.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
If they lose the Senate it will be spun that it was because of fraud and they didnt nestle tightly enough into Trump's sphincter.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Here is hoping the party will split. Magatwats with Trump and the rest staying the R, getting away from what he "stands" for and trying to get back to being a functioning political party just right of center.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Depends upon how 2022 goes, if R's regain the senate probably not. If the senate shifts further blue then you'll see some legit panic and pivot.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
They've already lost it. And no, they'll just dig even deeper with more baseless accusations of election fraud.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of the factors in this Senate race was a chunk of the Rural maga cult of nonvoters not turning out. So, they'll suck up to keep whatever part of the maga cult they can.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Grow a spine? No. Not a chance in hell.

Stop completely kissing his ass? Maybe.

To be fair, there have been quite a few who tried to just never talk about Trump, to avoid kissing his ass or contradicting him. I expect that number may grow.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In a real world the GOP would consider what made them lose.

We don't live in the real world we live in a disinformation hell scape. The only thing they will do is blame this loss on cheating and double down. The whole party must burn to the ground. It will never be what it was in 2012.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Nah these fucks will just dive deeper into bullshit and conspiracy theories.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
The way things are going I predict they'll rip each other apart. They're already turning against each other and Trump saying he'll run again in '24 means they can't "return to normal" because their constituency is already brainwashed into the cult.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Only if they think they'll lose in 2022 and feel like they have to for all the MAGA votes. If Georgia results show MAGA voters didn't show up, they'll throw out Trump and start talking about how the party is broken and needs to heal without mentioning reasons.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Trump has the entire party between a rock and a hard place because the GOP knows he's a lying sack of shit, but they've spent so much time and effort propping him up that he has a substantial base that trusts him. GOP congresspeople are compelled to appease the MAGA constituents who vote for them, but now that means standing against their own country.

That Graham tweet about nominating Trump? He's probably not wrong, and it very well could be worse for the party in the long term that Trump won that election.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget that McConnell is their real leader. He's the Kefka--pure, demented evil--to Trump's stupid fucking moron (not Gestahl, if that's what you thought).

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It almost doesn't matter what the GOP in Congress do or think, because Trump has the vast majority of the Republican electorate wrapped around his finger right now. If he turns on the GOP establishment in the coming weeks/months/years (which he absolutely will), then I can see him literally starting his own far-right political party and taking a good chunk of the Republican base with him.

That said, like everything he does, it'll actually just be a gigantic grift to try and syphon as much money out of his cult as he can in order to pay for the fucking mountain of debt he's buried in, on top of the litany of upcoming lawsuits he's going to be facing as well as the SDNY coming after him for fraud and a dozen other financial crimes. Dude's gonna need every cent he can get to stay out of jail.

And like literally everything else Trump touches, it'll fail spectacularly after a few years and he'll just move on to the next grift.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
No. Trump has rallied the rep voter base in such a way that all future candidates will want/need to continue in similar ways to retain them.

A 'moderate' republican candidate will not get half the votes Trump got.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they don't have anybody else to lead them. they will stick with him until somebody else manages to get their voters behind him.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Republicans are going to flip so hard against Trump that they'll be telling us Trump's damage is Democrats' fault. "They failed to impeach Donald Trump, they let him increase the deficit, they did nothing while you suffered from COVID".

And their dumb fucking voters will eat every bit of it up. If there's one thing I've learned about conservative voters, it's that they'll spew any talking point they hear.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Trump is getting thrown overboard tomorrow onwards. The GOP knife fighting will be amazing to watch.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
They have even less reason to reject him. Now that they have no governing power, there is also no consequence for their actions. They can be even bigger pissbabies because Democrats will overrule them and their policies remain theoretical instead of teh disasters people will have to live with and hold against them at the polls.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Not for the immediate future but I expect Trump to sour on some as time goes on and Republican office holders will try to distance themselves but not too much to alienate his die-hards.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The only real difference between Trump and other Republicans is the way in which he delivers the message and the 10% farther he is willing to go. So I see no reason for them to grow a spine.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the GOP is mega fucked if they pick a fight with Trump. If he goes on twitter before the midterms and tell his followers to not vote for those backstabbing losers of the deep state swamp, I'm sure he can get enough voters to sit out an election for Republicans to get pretty much wiped out.

And I think that's why they'll try to play nice with him, at least publicly.
I'd imagine a whole lot of them would be pretty damn pleased if he find himself in jail.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see it happening unless its known that Trump isn't running again in 2024.
Even then, they're too scared to lose potential votes if they speak out against supreme leader.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Most will go full populist racist because they'll need to turn out the Magas for primaries. You'll see the same thing that happened with the tea party. Crazy winning the primaries, then having a middling record in general elections due to that style of populism turning people off after years of trump.

Trump lite politicians running for senate and house will not see the turn out boost that Trump had in 20' though. That doesn't mean they'll all lose unfortunately. Enough will likely win to keep the party on it's current trajectory of absolute abolishment of democracy. We just have to stay activated until demographics change the GOP or they themselves do (good luck on the latter)

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the GOP is mega fucked if they pick a fight with Trump. If he goes on twitter before the midterms and tell his followers to not vote for those backstabbing losers of the deep state swamp, I'm sure he can get enough voters to sit out an election for Republicans to get pretty much wiped out.

And I think that's why they'll try to play nice with him, at least publicly.
I'd imagine a whole lot of them would be pretty damn pleased if he find himself in jail.
if trump actually manages to either buy OAN or newsmax he will absolutely use it to keep himself as the leader of the GOP.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The ones who were "protesting" before (Romney, Kizinger, etc.) might.

The others have shown themselves to be completely craven. They will do whatever Mitch tells them to, so I guess ask him?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
No, it won't happen, and it won't happen for one of two reasons, depending on whether Trump stays publicly active or not.

If Trump doesn't stay publicly active (which seems unlikely, but could happen in several ways - for example, he could die), then he's not a problem for Republicans. Speaking against Trump would annoy his supporters (who are not going away no matter what) and isn't likely to win many people to the Republicans. If Trump somehow becomes a non-factor they will do their best to praise him as vaguely as possible and talk up what they perceive to be his achievements (like the "Trump economy" or whatever).

If Trump stays publicly active (which seems inevitable unless there's a major change in circumstance), then the Republican Party faces the issue that while the Trump base might not be big enough to sway general elections, it is more than big enough to swing any primary contest, given proper organisation (which is more difficult than it seems because they're not a coherent grouping). That will keep Republicans on board with Trump out of fear for their own skins.

Additionally, there is no natural non-Trump Republican leader in waiting. This is a list of the most famous Republicans. With very few exceptions, the people on this list support Trump. The ones that are not publicly fully on board with Trump tend to be either too old (Romney, Cheney, Dole, etc), ineligible to run for President (Bush, Schwarzenegger) or kind of a joke (Jeb!, Collins). A hypothetical anti-Trump Republican movement has no usefully prominent figure to rally around. It's a Trump Party now.