• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you move to Gotham at those prices?

• Yes

Votes: 382 55.9%
  • No

Votes: 301 44.1%

• Total voters

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, at these tweets.

Honestly, for me it depends on which DC universe Gotham I'm living in. If it's literally cursed Gotham, then hell no. But, BTAS Gotham ain't too bad. And Nolan Gotham is cool so long as its not TDKR Gotham.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't do it as that Gothic nightmare is all stairs instead of wheelchair ramps.
What's the rent like in Metropolis?

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
before The Batman i would've said yes but that was the first movie that made Gotham seem like an absolute dumpster fire so no.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm currently paying 2 grand for a studio

If I took this deal I'd have way more space AND I'd have an extra $1700 per month to spend on whatever I want

And there'd never be a dull moment with all the crime and Batman shenanigans going on!

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, why not? Could even become Batman's sidekick (fuck Robin) depending on how well the role paid.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There would be a robbery, burglary or murder every night. I expect a lot of vacancy in Gotham due to crime alone. I move in. Rent here is a little over 5 times that. I can pocket that to spend on something else.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Depend on Metropolis, Central City, Coast City and Star City rent price.

People worry about Gotham crime but that same happen to those city.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It does make you wonder how crime is so rampant if cost of living is so low in Gotham. You know besides the whole curse thing.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
yes?

it's just new york
um

classic-cartoon.gif

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
i'm less worried about crime than I am about the apartment probably being dirty and poorly maintained

I'm more scared of Gotham rats than I am of The Jokah

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no lol. The apartment could be free and I wouldn't live in Gotham city.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
look at the end of the day you gotta live somewhere, and Gotham pays fuckin well and 3 hundo rent? FUUUCK, yes yes yes, reply immediately yes

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Lol, at these tweets.

Honestly, for me it depends on which DC universe Gotham I'm living in. If it's literally cursed Gotham, then hell no. But, BTAS Gotham ain't too bad. And Nolan Gotham is cool so long as its not TDKR Gotham.

I've seen a few people in here say this. Since when is Gotham literally cursed?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Where exactly in Gotham? Wayne Manor is technically in Gotham so….

Yeah, same. Like, I wouldn't live in the Narrows for free, and the city center also seems super dangerous, or anywhere with empty warehouses, but like some middle of the road area would be fine. Just work at a nationwide corporation unlikely to have ties to organized crime. Joker doesn't bother with Target.

Depend on Metropolis, Central City, Coast City and Star City rent price.

People worry about Gotham crime but that same happen to those city.

I feel like Gotham has end-of-the-world level crime more often. Metropolis is probably super expensive because you at least have Supes.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
No, I would hate all the henchmen yelling about The Bat outside my window every night.

Oct 25, 2017
Where exactly in Gotham? Wayne Manor is technically in Gotham so….

Wayne Manor's been destoyed at least once in main continuity that I can recall, and loads of times in other universes. God knows how many times it's been overrun.

I don't recall it ever being explicitely stated to be cursed, it just happens to be built over a whole bunch of evil magical bullshit and it's been accumulating more ever since.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
You're asking my Black ass if I would move to a city with A) the most corrupt police ever B) Destructive supervillains who never stay in jail, with C) the only "check" on this being a white billionaire who puts petty criminals into comas?

No thanks.

Exactly this.

No one asked whether all those billions could have been better served in creating access to public services? Mental health treatment, help with food insecurity, access to health care?

Batman is a mentally ill person with a death wish who beats the living shit out of mentally ill asylum escapees and petty criminals. He also almost never prevents his rogues from doing at least some of their dirt. Put me in Metropolis with the undocumented immigrant hero.

Jun 22, 2021
Imagine walking back to your home in Gotham late at night and you see Killer Moth being attracted to the lights.

Or imagine you're out driving out at night and some absolute wanker crushes you and your car with their Batmobile.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017

Huh, Googling this actually turned up more than I expected. According to this, it occasionally gets pretty damn literal.

The modern age Batman stories (POST-COIE onwards) introduced the idea that Gotham is basically cursed to a supernatural degree.

The story "Dark Knight, Dark City" explained that a 18th century group of demon worshippers (including Thomas Jefferson for some reason) summoned a Bat-demon named Barbatos and locked it in the center of Gotham for a few centuries (which Grant Morrison would later sort of reference in his Batman run).

In Dennis O'Neil's short story "Cityscape", he goes back even further and says Gotham was built around a makeshift asylum co-founded by a serial killer who wanted a 'home' in the New World for himself and equally insane spiritual 'brothers and sisters' (the story also invoked the real life legend of the "Wise Men of Gotham" for the reason the city in the comics got it's name).

And within Gotham, it's been suggested that Arkham Asylum exists within another nexus of crazy. In the miniseries 'Living Hell', it was explained that in the asylums' early days an occultist was sacrificing inmates to open an actual portal to hell which was barely sealed by Jason Blood. While the portal was closed, it actively called on inmates and people in Gotham to open it back up for a couple hundred years.

Oct 25, 2017
No one asked whether all those billions could have been better served in creating access to public services? Mental health treatment, help with food insecurity, access to health care?

He does that. Loads. More than any other comic character I'm aware of, although I'm sure that's down to my lack of knowledge of a lot of other characters. I'm pretty sure that's the same reason so many people don't know Bruce Wayne is a philanthropist on a massive scale.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Exactly this.

Batman is a mentally ill person with a death wish who beats the living shit out of mentally ill asylum escapees and petty criminals. He also almost never prevents his rogues from doing at least some of their dirt. Put me in Metropolis with the undocumented immigrant hero.

Ummm, Batman does all of those things though? The Bruce Wayne foundation? I can't think of a long running Batman story that didn't show Batman's philanthropy. Even on a small scale like helping people find work at one of his companies or buying a residential district to allow its residents to have affordable housing.

How is he supposed to "prevent" them from doing their dirt? Besides helping to stop them before they carry out their plans which is basically every Batman story ever? Do you want him to kill them?