• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Say we lived in a world where developers and publishers freely and openly traded IP like sports teams trade players. What trades would you like to see that make sense for both sides? What do you think the new publisher/developer would do with the IP? Obviously, there's a ton of room for interpretation, but it seemed like a fun thought exercise.

I'll start with one that I think makes a ton of sense. Let's get Banjo-Kazooie back to Nintendo. It's definitely a property that's value has dipped a bit in the last decade and I'm not sure Xbox has any idea what they want to do with it. Rare doesn't seem to want to re-visit it and Nintendo is the king of 3D platforming. What does Nintendo have that Xbox might want? A lot!

Let's start with Golden Sun. Xbox seems to be pumping a ton of resources into RPGs lately and Golden Sun hasn't had its day in the sun in several years. An old-school, sprite-based RPG developed by Obsidian or inXile could be a good addition to the Game Pass catalog, but it doesn't really feel like a fair trade for Microsoft. Nintendo would also have to throw-in Kid Icarus. The series does have a ton of history, but I think it's unlikely Nintendo goes back to it for a while and Microsoft could do something really special with it. What if Ninja Theory rebooted the series? Or the new RPG team at Playground Games?

Nintendo could do a ton with Banjo. He could become a mainstay in Nintendo party games and get his own 3D platforming adventure. Could they introduce him to the Mushroom Kingdom? Could he join Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics? I know many will say that he's redundant with Mario, but it worked in the 64 era and I think it would work again.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Star Fox with anyone šŸ„ŗ

SF, despite ages of mismanaged direction, still has tremendous mindshare, and there's are plenty of devs who could either make a good iterative sequel to the earlier rail-shooter games, or a novel take that involves ship combat in some way

Nintendo properties done by outside companies have gotten notoriety in recent years (Mario x Rabbids, Cadence of Hyrule), so it would sell well based on that alone, and the series really needs an outside perspective since the last few games have all been foremost experimental, with actual quality seemingly a distant second concern

Most any series in return would do well made by Nintendo's internal teams

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda feel like EA are just sat on Medal of Honor, and Ubisoft don't really have a military style shooter.

Also Ubisoft are never doing anything with Prince of Persia, and maybe DICE or Respawn could do something with it.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Legend of Zelda to From Software
Mass Effect to Obsidian...with someone getting Avellone back
Halo to iD Software just because
The Sims to Nintendo

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Eh, the IPs alone aren't enough, they also need developers to leverage it. Even if Nintendo got Banjo, who would out out a game? Good Feel? I feel like he would simply be one another character in games like Mario Kart and Mario Party

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sonic to Nintendo, and F-Zero to Sega.

It would be interesting to see how Nintendo would tackle Sonic, and likewise it would be fun to see F-Zero developed by Sega again.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
I'm currently playing Hellblade and it gave me a thought along what you're saying OP. I'd have EA trade Ultima to Microsoft and Ninja Theory. I know that sounds weird but a Ninja Theory take on questing to be the Avatar, learning the 8 virtues and dealing with the 8 dungeons, akin to Hellblade would be really cool.

Microsoft could trade Brute Force to EA. Might as well give EA something they couldn't make worse. (Microsoft could throw in some other dead IPs they don't intend to revisit).

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off, keep Golden Sun with Nintendo. Just get Monolith involved in making it's map and let Camelot do most of the rest.

Also, Xenogears, Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos go to Nintendo so Monolith can tie all that shit up with Xenoblade too. Monolith Cosmere let's go.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Legend of Zelda to Ubisoft team that made the Assassin's Creed Odyssey. It was one of the best games of the year. Or develop it in tandem with a in house Zelda.

Sonic and Rayman to Nintendo, would love to see their take.

Perfect Dark to Naughty Dog.

Summoner (Playstation series) to Monolith Soft.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
EA trades Mirror's Edge to anybody who will make a new Mirror's Edge game.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Phantasy Star Online 3 by From Software

Someone posted this here once ages ago and I've wanted it ever since.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Microsoft trades Project Gotham Racing to EA for Dead Space.

Dead Space to the Coalition for a Dead Space 4.
Project Gotham Racing to EA Gothenburg.

Obviously not a fair trade, but I want new entries to these franchises.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Legend of Zelda to Ubisoft team that made the Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft -> Nintendo: Viva Pinata
Nintendo -> Microsoft: F-Zero

Both companies don't seem to want to do anything further with those IPs, and I think a team like Playground or Turn 10 could make an awesome F-Zero game, and Nintendo could make a delightful Viva Pinata game.

But easiest answer and most realistic would be:

Paradox -> Microsoft: Tyranny
Microsoft -> Paradox: Shadowrun

That puts Tyranny back under Obsidian for a sequel, and then Harebrained Schemes can keep making Shadowrun games.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Fuck off, keep Golden Sun with Nintendo. Just get Monolith involved in making it's map and let Camelot do most of the rest.

Also, Xenogears, Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos go to Nintendo so Monolith can tie all that shit up with Xenoblade too. Monolith Cosmere let's go.
Relax guy it was just a suggestion.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Microsoft -> Nintendo: Viva Pinata
Nintendo -> Microsoft: F-Zero

Both companies don't seem to want to do anything further with those IPs, and I think a team like Playground or Turn 10 could make an awesome F-Zero game, and Nintendo could make a delightful Viva Pinata game.

But easiest answer and most realistic would be:

That puts Tyranny back under Obsidian for a sequel, and then Harebrained Schemes can keep making Shadowrun games.
This please.

Also Arcana (SNES rpf by HAL) to Monolith Soft

In exchange HAL can use Nopon in Kirby.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Hey, Odyssey was actually an amazing game. Even as huge in scale as it was, the characters were still great, and the story good.
Oh, I agree, I liked Odyssey, it had too much stuff in it and it was the steroid version of the typical AAA game, but yes, it was a proper and enjoyable RPG.
But it would be a shame to turn Legend of Zelda into another AC type game.
Breath of the Wild it's his own thing. A Ubisoft spin on it would probably make it an AC clone, and I dont think we need that.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I think Falcom could do a good job of finishing off the original storyline of the Suikoden games.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I want someone to take Fallout from Bethesda and give them whatever it takes for it to be under either Obsidian again or even better CD Project

Avengers that damn IP from them, Whatever it takes

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Blinx to Nintendo. And then Nintendo gives... uhhhh.....Diddy Kong Racing for Playground

I would like to see InXile trying out a shadowrun game but i would be okay with this too

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sega gets F-Zero, Nintendo gets 3D Sonic. We get another great arcade racer from the Yakuza team and the Mario Odyssey folks make a solid Sonic game. Then they can swap back.

Platinum Games gets Okami, Capcom gets Madworld

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda feel like EA are just sat on Medal of Honor, and Ubisoft don't really have a military style shooter.

Also Ubisoft are never doing anything with Prince of Persia, and maybe DICE or Respawn could do something with it.
Joke post or did you forget half of Ubisoft's output features the name Tom Clancy? :P

Also, Ubisoft doesn't own Prince of Persia, Jordan Mechner does.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
Give Watch Dogs to Rockstar and Ubisoft can take Max Payne.
Fate/extra to Atlus and well, nothing to Marvellous.
Take two should take Advance Wars (for Fireaxis) and give Bioshock to Nintendo (for Retro)

Oct 25, 2017
Konami should give video game rights for all their properties to Capcom in exchange for rights to make pachinko based on Capcom properties.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I know many will say that he's redundant with Mario, but it worked in the 64 era and I think it would work again.
One of the reasons that this worked in the N64 era is that game development was a much less time-consuming process back then. Rare were able to develop 11 N64 games (plus 7 GB/GBC games alongside them). This generation, the total is just three (Kinect Sports Rivals, Rare Replay, Sea of Thieves).

A modern Banjo-Kazooie game, with roughly equivalent content to a modern 3D Mario game, would need a moderately large team within Nintendo and probably wouldn't be any quicker to develop than a 3D Mario game, which probably means a maximum of one release per generation, and that release would take the place of some other fairly major Nintendo release.

Well...they have Rainbow Six Siege, and Ghost Recon, and The Division, and I don't think it would be all that tricky for them to repurpose Far Cry into a military shooter for one game (the Vietnam DLC for Far Cry 5 already did something a bit like that). If they really wanted to make something else, I think they'd probably prefer to come up with some new words to put after "Tom Clancy's" than trading IPs for an old EA franchise.