• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Never. Not in a million years will I go back to physical media. If I do get it it has to be the only option, and I don't collect physical games.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
does Resetera think PS5 will be backward compatible with PS1/PS2/PS3 games, even if it's just digital? someone less lazy than me should get a poll going.

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I have ever done this, I get sick of it and realise there are better ways to satisfy my nostalgia than collecting old discs and plastic cases. Especially now so many of my favourite PS1 games have been remade or re-released digitally.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a ton of PS1 and PS2 games. I probably have more disc based and digital PS3 games than I do for any other single system. I've also got a PS3, PS2 and hacked PS Classic hooked up in my living room still. We still play those games. I'd love the opportunity to put all that stuff away, including the PS4, and not lose my ability to play all those games, and play them all with a wireless controller, and never worry about memory card storage.

I also have 50+ PS1 games installed on the PS3. I hope hope hope those carry over too.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the UK and I'd never collect 50hz discs again, no thank you. That basically just means PS3 and PS4, which I still have a sizeable backlog from.

Could import a few PS1 & 2 games but as said in the OP, I imagine the prices are gonna skyrocket, even before I factor in customs.

Hopefully companies will be quick to bring their back catalogue over digitally at 60hz worldwide but I have my doubts.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I already have a collection of PS1 and PS2 games. Would be nice to finally put my PS2 away though.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I'd definitely pick some up if they are cheap. I wouldn't be pay big prices for them though

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Still got all my disks going back to PS1. I'd be a bit weary playing some of the more expensive ones though like Suikoden 2 and Valkyrie Profile.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I would like too, but if I can do the same digitally (especially with my PS1 classics on PS3) I would love too!

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want my PS1 classics from PS3/Vita being compatible with the PS5. I could see myself buying the odd physical PS1 game tho.

Oct 30, 2017
I'd really appreciate Some sort of initiative to let us digitize some of these old games on discs. Even if it involved some fee.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Out of curiosity, where did this rumor of total Playstation BC come from? I've heard it several times now, and I don't think I ever saw the origin point.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Nah. I have no interest playing old games, especially pre-PS3, and even if I did end up playing a few, I'd go digital if given the option as the file sizes would be small.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I have a pretty solid collection already. It could push me to pick up a few things I'm still missing though like Silent Hill 2

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
for my PS3 stuff it would be nice to have the disc BC but i'm not too worried about it with PS1/2 unless there are certain titles that they don't have digitally.

SMT Nocturne is a good example.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Depends what was available digitally, but I'd definitely have a copy of Tecmo's Deception and Chrono Cross ready to go for launch.

Last edited:

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I don't really care for the physical copies, so I'm hoping to stay mostly digital in the future.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Price for Xbox 360 games quickly go up once BC was announced. The PlayStation stuff will qgo up a lot if they can get disc BC

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
I've been thinking lately that if the PS5 has full, unrestricted backwards compatibility and ability to just load old disks, I might start a retro collection. I like the idea of having a bunch of key titles on their original disks. Crash 1,2,3, Tomb Raider, Tekken, Wipeout, Shadow of the Collossus, MGS... You get the idea. I reckon second hand disks are going to skyrocket in price though. How about you guys?
I would love that. I never trade my games, so I have all PS2 and PS3 Hard Copies at home. WOULD LOVE to play them again with up conversion and all.

But I am MASSIVE trophies fan. So it'll suck that I won't get anything out of them. Still fun to play them though. :)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I already do have a ton of back discs for PS consoles, so it wouldn't really be STARTING a collection.

I just don't keep them all in my house. Most of them are in storage or at my parents' place.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
No, I already have all of the games I want for those systems and they don't have much sentimental value for me so there's no reason for me to want more of them

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
But, thinking about this. It might finally get me to do the one thing I never did...

Organize my PS1/PS2 Memory cards.

After my PS3 died and I lost all my PS2 saves on it, I never re-organized my memory cards. It was a mess figuring out which game save was where.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I still have all of my PS1-PS3 games. While disc rot is a real thing, it hasn't happened to me and I have hundreds of discs that I tested just recently. They still all work fine.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
No. I don't have any interest in playing PS1/2/3 games in their original form and I doubt that a disk based approach would work for anything else, like rendering them in 4K at least. And if you'd still need to download the bulk of the game then it's easier to just get it in PS store.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I hope to be able to buy them digitally, but will go physical if no other option is available. PS5 would be the ultimate gaming machine if it has full backwards compatibility and the option to buy a lot of them on the store.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I already have a sizable collection. However, I'd rather they also release PS1,2,3 and 4 games to purchase on the PS Store. That's the dream anyway