• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I've been thinking lately that if the PS5 has full, unrestricted backwards compatibility and ability to just load old disks, I might start a retro collection. I like the idea of having a bunch of key titles on their original disks. Crash 1,2,3, Tomb Raider, Tekken, Wipeout, Shadow of the Collossus, MGS... You get the idea. I reckon second hand disks are going to skyrocket in price though. How about you guys?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
SSX Tricky and SSX3 will be the first games I buy for the PS5 if it turns out to have full back compat.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Doubtful. Assuming that Sony supports previous PSone Classics purchases on PlayStation 5, I'll have a massive library without the need for discs. Same with PSP games.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck. Prices for games from the PSone era are waaay overpriced, same with the big titles from the PS2 era.
Should have started this at least 10 years ago

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
My PS3 hard drive just died the other day,packed it up with all my games....it served me well.
I think I'll be picking up a second hand PS3 though before I unpack my collection of PS3 games to play on any PS5 console,lol.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I'd much rather have a comprehensive digital marketplace where I can simply purchase older games. The idea of having a million discs sounds cool until you have to move across provinces/states, let me tell you from experience. Also, and I know a lot of people are going to tell me this isn't an issue if you "take proper care of your discs" but CDs/DVDs are simply not as permament as a lot of people would like to believe.

But to sort of answer your question: if they sell me old games, especially at 6 bucks for a PS1 game as the PS3's store would have me to believe, I'm gonna buy a lot of older games.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I think prices would skyrocket on eBay if it gets announced. So hopefully a vast digital store would appear

OP
OP

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
Problem is with digital purchases is that the prices will be high. If they were offering PS1 titles for £2.99 I'd buy a load, but you just know they'll be more like £7.99

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Just sold 90% of my "retro" collection the other week so I can buy myself a new computer desk. Not bothered for physical releases anymore to be honest.

I've only got a few disks left for my PS1 and PS2, but even those have been backed up digitally with my PSIO or the 1TB HDD I've got on my Fat PS2. If PS5 has back compat with all these older titles, I'm happy to buy them digitally (for a fair price).

trevofour

Oct 26, 2017
joisey
PS2 maybe since that's the one system I don't really have a collection for. I don't think my brain will be able to handle if this system can straight up play discs from PS1-5.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Already have about 80ish PS1, around 20ish PS2 games, about 90 PS3 games at home as part of my collection so I would mostly be set if it were to happen. Still some games I wouldnt mind picking up of course but I have a lot ready to go.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Nah but I will enjoy the digital games I bought during the PS3 days. I am done with physical on the HD Twins.

Oct 28, 2017
I will start a small collection of games that mean something to me if they are not available digitally. So if you're reading this Square-Enix, bring over the PS4 version of Star Ocean: Second Evolution to the west already so I don't have to buy a PS1 copy.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I already have a stupid huge collection, but I dunno, there's too many questions about the implementation if it does end up happening.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I've got most of the big releases (not necessarily the rarest or most collectiable) I'm interested in from the PS1 days simply because I lived it. I'm not quite as well stocked on the PS2 disc front since I traded/sold many of those as I went along back in the day since the PS2 was out during my college years.

I've paid some "collector" prices for a few I've missed, but the thing with PS1 and PS2 games is they're easy to rip once you own them, so I like owning them since I will play them via emulation even if PS5 doesn't have BC with them.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
No, but I better have access to my digital purchases of PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 games...

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
No, but I better have access to my digital purchases of PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 games...
Oh man if they put this thing out and make any of us re-buy the classic games we've already bought, Microsoft can basically pull a "here's how you share your games on PS4" right back on them

sw26

Oct 27, 2017
I live in PAL-land so absolutely not. Sold all my pre-PS3 discs years ago.

Hoping as a minimum my PS3 digital purchases will work as I bought NTSC versions of various things.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
My PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 discs must be in the 4000 to 5000 range, probably even more. Thanks but no thanks. After having moved countries a couple of times I just can't keep collecting physical discs anymore.

Digital all the way I say. But Sony should really enable gifting through the PS Store, this is long overdue.

fiveshift

Banned
Apr 10, 2018
Not to be a party pooper but if this rumored full back compatibility exists I see it as one of the major spear heads for PSNow. I don't think PS1 and PS2 discs will work in the system, maybe PS3. I mean is it not easy to clone PS1 and PS2 discs at this point anyway?

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I mean.,

I just want to be able to play FFVII Dirge of Cerberus again as well as Radiata Stories, Dragon Quest VIII PS2, Mafia, and the SOCOM campaigns. I already have everything else on ps4. It would be nice to get GTA4 from ps3 though on ps5. and FFXIII trilogy.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
do you know what "Disc Rot" is, OP?
9anISls.jpg

I can't imagine investing in PS1 discs in 2021. Hell, as an OG PS1 owner i can tell you those discs scratch so easily and had so many problems being read even back in the 90s.

Even so, you can take excellent care of your discs and they are still actively degrading over time like the above picture.

Disc rot - Wikipedia

Entropy is coming for us all

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If I can buy them digitally and there is no bullshit around PS1 and PS2 region locking, then absolutely.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I would probably go full digital for any BC games to be honest. Although I do still have a hefty amount of PS1/2 discs and they are still in impeccable condition at the moment.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I will buy older games that I loved when I was younger from the PS1/PS2 era, yeah.

Although if they're available for digital purchase, I'd likely do that instead.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I already have a huge collection of PS1/2/3 games I never play since I've finished them already and pretty much never replay things.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Meh, physical schmisical. I will re-purchase MGS digitally if it's offered, Warhawk and Calling All Cars. Other than that, no nostalgia this way.

Edit: thinking back, I think Warhawk and Calling All Cars were both PSN only.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It will not and should not be fully backwards compatible for discs. PS1 games are entirely to easy to pirate, they were even easy to pirate BACK THEN.

FirLocke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I already have for a future Xbox ! So for PS, would as well. I'd be mostly set from ps2 onwards, outside of a select rare few. PS1 I'd get a few, but it'd be a struggle to get the rare stuff, like Vandal Hearts 2 or something.