• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'll get both. I haven't missed a launch since the PS1, so why start now? They'll both have enough games to make it worthwhile.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If I didn't have a PC I'd grab both. For now, it's PS5. If the X has console exclusives that aren't coming to PC, I'll probably pick it up as well.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I wouldn't have enough spare time to spend on both consoles. I'm likely just going to get the PS5 to play some PS4 games I missed out on at first.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Day one for series X, would also get a lockhart for my kids on day one before i even thought about getting a PS5.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I'll get both day 1. You would be a fool to think you will be able to walk into a store and just pick up a PS5/XSX easily in Jan/Feb heck maybe till summer 2021. That said I'll just get both right away so I dont have to search or use NowInstock.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
No. Funds wise I could swing it but I simply don't see the need for two consoles at launch with limited games and limited time. I'll get one at launch or within 6 months (likely PS5) and possibly pickup the Xbox later on if I do. All games and systems will be cheaper with a little patience. The systems may not be if you don't want to wait around much.

But you do you man!

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
No planning, but I would love to. Depends on how much expensive they'are, and if my personal situation is stable enough to justify buying them.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure it will be a PS5 + PC gen for me. Gamepass is great, but I do not need an Xbox for it. Furthermore, already seeing the drawback of such a service with games being removed from Gamepass. I wanted to play Rise of the Tomb Raider, but didn't get to it in time. Not a big deal, but just a reminder that access to games will change when deals expire.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
PS5 first, then Series X.
Unless MS has XSX exclusives ready at launch, I see now reason to get it Day 1 when I can play Halo Infinite on my One X with Gamepass.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 only, I just bought an X a few months ago that I'll be able to play Halo Infinite on. I'll only get the Series X if there's a killer trade in deal.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Don't think so, unless some amazing thing turned up for PS5. If they both launch around the same time, I'm pretty sold on getting my first XBox.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going PS5 only as I usually do at launch of new gen. Then I'll pick up a Series X a year or two later once them good games begin to roll.

Oct 28, 2017
If I didn't have a PC I'd grab both. For now, it's PS5. If the X has console exclusives that aren't coming to PC, I'll probably pick it up as well.
If you are buying XGS games or gamepass you are a part of the ecosystem anyway. I'd say the only differentiator is the 360 and og Xbox backwards compatibility available on XSX. Nice to have all four gens of Xbox games on one machine.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
With both systems being Backwards Compatible and both being very large I can't think of much reason to keep my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X around. I plan on selling them both while they have some value and using that money to get a PS5/XSX.

Is there any reason to keep these old machines around.

It's a good point. I always keep my old consoles but if you're not interested in collecting backwards compatibility is a great thing. You will likely not need your old systems.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
PS5 for me cause I love the Sony's exclusives. I have not been a fan of MS's current exclusives and most multiplat games come to PC anyway.

Wait I find appalling are the assumptions made about price and how multiplatform games will perform on either consoles. ResetEra never disappoints.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
I'm not getting both day 1 exactly only because I don't have backlog on ps4 but I have on Xbox, BUT if out of the blue something like Demon Souls is released with ps4 then I would by both at same time

U Know Me

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting to see price number and launch titles but im leaning towards the just the series X at launch. I will probably get a ps5 when gran turismo comes out.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just a PS5 for me for now. Kids are getting both of my PS4s to play while I upgrade to next gen.

Maybe sometime next year I'll grab the XSX, but no rush to have both.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
No? I've little had any interest in XBox exclusives, MS making them available on PC means the little interest I had turn to zero. Hell, I bought a PS4 Pro (the White Destiny 2 bundle one) back in 2017 and I haven't really played a game on it in like a year. I should probably sell it.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
why wound anyone with a PC want an Xbox?...PS5 all the way...exclusives are where the value lies and Sony has all the big ones

Because 'PC' spans the whole gamut from ultra books with integrated graphics, MacBooks with iGPUs, Chromebooks, low powered desktops etc. would you get a similar gaming experience on an Asus gaming laptop with a 1050Ti GPU? Or a Surface Pro 7?
There are many, many reasons why people with PCs would choose to get an Xbox.

I have a reasonably powerful PC, with plans to upgrade to the 3080 GPU down the line. Yet I plan to get both consoles at launch.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Yes most definitely. I have pre ordered both. Even if I should buy one and wait 6 months , or even a year , for the other it would most likely not matter on the price?

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I'm not hurting financially but I would never do this. I'm picking up a series x cause that's my preferred ecosystem and won't be buying a PlayStation for a while. It's just too expensive, paying over 1000 dollars when I can play 90% of what both have to offer by owning 1? My brain just can't come to terms with it.
This is a point I wholeheartedly agree with. Besides, my SO might kick me out if both machines were to appear at home without selling my pro and switch.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
I'm curious...will we ever have true cross play? I'd like to play games with my sister, who has an Xbox...RDO or FO76. I won't game at 30 fps, so that doesn't currently work. Ideally I'd just stick to PC and PS5, but if XSX has those games at 60 fps, I'd buy one, pick up s PS5 down the road.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Not a chance. I'll buy one of them day 1 and the other a year or even two later. Not even a money thing, just doesn't make any sense.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My current plan is XSX at launch, PS5 a year or so later. The actual launch games and services could change this though.

Dec 11, 2017
I always get new consoles at launch, so yeah, I'll be picking up both this holiday season. Here's to to good games on the two of them and Nintendo Switch!

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly even if I had the money, which I most certainly don't.

having two new consoles around the same time would be overwhelming.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
i'll get both at launch

again

8e6780bf344c382e1a177cd11a36c3ad.gif

Nov 13, 2017
Nah. PS5 only for now. Microsoft exclusives don't really excite me that much. I'm not totally against the XSX, but I have a very strong PC, so I can just pick up a game on that if it's not available on PS5. I'll consider the XSX if Microsoft changes their PC porting stance.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
No, I'm not rich. I would get both if I were though and I'd use the Xbox as my main media consumption platform (and maybe emulation machine)

Wedginald

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yup, PS5 for all the great Sony titles that I love, and Xbox because my friends mostly use it for online. Like the variety of having all the systems. Even though I could use my gaming PC to play Xbox games, I'm still unsure if they will have cross play between PC/Xbox for something like Halo anyway, so its a moot point, as that group of friends are console only anyway.