• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of impossible to speculate accurately with what we know.

For all we know Atlus reached out for a business deal in a very popular game to both earn revenue and brand awareness. Who knows.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At least we can now stop pretending that Smash will never add a third party character that promotes another platform's exclusive.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear has much bigger games in Nintendo than just an EO styled spinoff. Also Snake is his MGS1 incarnation that has a game for the GC
Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The way things are shaking up on ERA half the forum would look stupid on 4/24 for sure.

Now which side will it be it's yet to be seen.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Such hate for Joker wow. No Persona 5 announced for switch so let's hate on Joker such a petty thread.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Also I would like to ad a disclaimer that I would choose like 50 characters for smash before considering Joker.
But I can absolutely understand why he was choosen and I will buy him
(and would buy even if they add the character I want the less =P)

P5 will be in Smash + the leaks have been on point so far.

The DATAMININGS have been on point so far =P

Apr 16, 2018
This thread is ridiculous lol.

2B is not more famous than Persona or Joker, come on. Tap me when she stars in her own anime, several spin off games, or when Nier has any sort of association with Nintendo whatsoever.

Also, you're not gonna get characters from popular western franchises in a game dedicated to celebrating the Japanese side of gaming.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This whole "Joker is TECHNICALLY already in a game on a nintendo console" doesn't really work when they're specifically calling out Persona 5 though.
Why didn't they just say SSBxPersona ? or SSBxAtlus? or even SSBxPQ?

mwhIazJ.jpg

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I woke up this morning honestly... pretty baffled at the announcement of Persona 5 for PS4 and not Switch.

I'm not a fan of Persona 5's story at all so I wasn't going to buy it anyway if it had come to Switch, but I was annoyed by Joker's inclusion in Smash Bros since I don't like him as a character and I assumed that since he's from such whatever tier sales franchise, that this had to be promoting his game coming to Switch.

But now... doesn't look that way.

And now Joker's inclusion in Smash Bros looks so fucking weird.

Let's go over the pros and cons for Joker in Smash Bros from a brand and sales perspective.

+Joker represents SMT which is a long-running franchise even if Overwatch has outsold the entire series combined most likely.
+Joker's game sold around 2-2.5m which is... not that great and a lot worse than 2B's game, but isn't nothing.

-Joker is a character with literally no personality in that he's completely silent
-Joker uses guns
-Joker is from an infinitely less popular series than Tomb Raider, Overwatch, insert many other games here, etc
-Joker would promote SMT5... which he probably isn't in... And which probably isn't releasing for several more years.
-Joker can pursue a relationship with adults that can be viewed as him experiencing statutory rape and the game generally frames these relationships fairly positively.
-While there will probably be a female option, Joker is another default male character in which 80% of the cast is male.

I'm just... very confused why Joker was chosen over characters from more relevant and more Smash Bros fitting characters if Joker's game is never going to come to Switch. Joker was chosen by Nintendo and I just don't see any promotional or brand building logic at all. This is Sega's second or third character (depending on whether or not you count Bayonetta as a Nintendo character) while all western publishers currently have zero so it's not like they're just trying to be nice to the publisher.... This thing has me very confused.

Let's counter this.
1. Link is a character with literally no personality in a game that hes completely silent. (Joker isn't completely silent.). I can keep adding to this list too.

2. Lara croft uses guns, tracer uses guns (no idea what you mean here)

3. I can disagree here, especially recently that the Persona franchise grew significantly in popularity thanks to Persona 5. Sales =/= popularity of a character

4. Joker will promote Persona 5 (and the franchise as a whole) Hence Persona 5 X Smash bros when announced. SMT is also part of that promotion. SMT is the main franchise of games, Persona is a spin-off that turned into its own franchise. 3DS in america is getting PQ2 this June. If the rumored Switch version is going to get announced (just because it wasnt today, which most of us were expecting) it would be at P-Live super event, E3, or another larger event. Not the ending of an anime.

5. This is completely irreverent to smash bros. You wont date or whatever in the game.

6. Your point being? We have corrin and Robin who do the same.

I am sorry you are confused, but you seem to have put all your hope in one basket (an anime, which only provided a teaser, and another teaser now). Joker was chosen because Nintendo wanted him, in addition, I think Sakurai had a say too because He flat out stated Persona 5 is one of his favorite games of all time (he also stated that the UI of Persona 5 directly influenced the UI in smash bros ultimate). You will completely count Bayo too because She came to the switch before smash's release. As others stated in this thread, Atlus and Nintendo always had a great relationship and its mutually beneficial.

Nintendo has a strong relationship with Atlus and thought it would be cool, plus Sega owns Atlus which probably helps. SMT has been on Nintendo consoles for a long time and Persona 5 is by far the most popular SMT game, so Joker being chosen for Atlus's character makes perfect sense.
Agreed. here.

Because Nintendo has a good relationship with Atlus
True that.
It most definitely is.

2B would be a fantastic choice as well tbh. We still got 4 slots left (despte any rumors going around, not believing them til they materialize). I also see nintendo not toning down her sex appeal either (if anything they seem to be fine with the original sources now). So i would hope she comes. In terms of popularity? Honestly, i would say Persona has a slight advantage because Its pushed more than Nier (in terms of marketing and what I see these days). Both were fairly niche franchises until the releases of Automata and 5 correct? Regardless of popularity, i would love to see 2B's inclusion too.

2B's game sold 50% more...

But 2B is just an example

Why Joker over Chun-li

Why Joker over Lara Croft
Sales dont matter tbh. Game itself was fantastic, which is why it sold. Also the fact it came out of no where when no one expected it too.

Street fighter is represented in the game in quite a few ways and plentiful. Also Sakurai stated they are Brand new characters not existing in the game already. So by that standard she wouldnt be in.

Old Lara I can see happening maybe. new lara? naw. But once again Nintendo's choice in the end. Im sure sakurai gets a say, but they ultimately make the final call.

Also can someone correct me if im wrong. I believe when they announced the DLC, they said Nintendo wanted to promote NEW/less represented franchises on the switch and new franchises in general to smash?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think it's that complicated.

P5 isn't the biggest game in terms of absolute numbers, but it's a very "hot" game. It's eye catching, it gets people talking, it's pretty influential. Nier Automata is like that as well. I'd say their positions are pretty comparable.

As for why one was chosen over the other, who knows, I don't think it's a big deal. Maybe they have data that shows a large overlap between Persona fans and Nintendo fans, maybe they're responding to fan requests for Atlus characters in the Smash ballot, maybe they just want to show Atlus some love. Any number of small things could have tipped the scales in Joker's favor.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They don't actually care about Persona 5 coming to Switch or not they just want to complain about Joker being in Smash period.
I firmly believe some P5 port is coming to switch, that is why I am against some of the reasoning here
Of course there is a chance it doesnt come, but in that case I think Nintendo did some bad business move

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This whole "Joker is TECHNICALLY already in a game on a nintendo console" doesn't really work when they're specifically calling out Persona 5 though.

mwhIazJ.jpg
They did the same with Final Fantasy VII, not the series as a whole, with Cloud in the trailer years before FFVII actually was announced.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

mwhIazJ.jpg
Same reason why Cloud isn't a Final Fantasy rep, he's a Final Fantasy 7 rep

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Three things:

1) why is using guns listed as a negative?

2) Joker is way more popular than 2B, game sales don't matter. Joker's had a ton of publicity by being nominated to the VGA in 2017 and now by his Smash trailer.

3) Saying that silent characters have no personality makes no sense. I guess Mario doesn't have a personality as well, considering he speaks about as much as Joker.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As others stated in this thread, Atlus and Nintendo always had a great relationship and its mutually beneficial.
It would be mutually beneficial if there was no new game being released at the same time of the DLC. If there are no P5 game for switch Atlus gets benefitted way more than nintendo in this deal, even sony gets benefitted more

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Can't wait for this "but X is more popular" completely desintegrate when people become pissed that Steve from Minecraft is a dlc character

Plum

May 31, 2018
Firstly, Persona 5 is never coming to Switch...

...so this was probably due to ATLUS wanting their own rep (or Nintendo wanting an ATLUS rep). Joker is most definitely the most well-known ATLUS character at the moment so he was a perfect fit for that place; for Nintendo his inclusion was a complete surprise that drove hype for Smash and its DLC.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for this "but X is more popular" completely desintegrate when people become pissed that Steve from Minecraft is a dlc character

I don't love Steve but at least he makes sense and I would be like "oh, okay"

Steve would be like Incineroar level for me... I get it.

Joker I don't like and there's no business reason I can see why he's in the game.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See here's the thing

People argued against Tracer because "she uses guns" or "she isn't in a Nintendo game"

But now Joker is in the game.

That's the whole point.
Joker also has a knife which is likely going to be his primary weapon. I doubt he'll even have his gun.

Also there's this thing called a Persona you might have heard of? It's what the series is named after.

Looks like this.
latest

Just guessing but I think this might be what his move set will be based around.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Kawakami

because cloud gets the bare minumum of promotion in the game

The thing is that the dlc is being released at the same time P5R is being announced, it doesnt make sense that Nintendo will just allow Atlus use smash to promote their games and not get much back

Persona Q2 comes out in the West in June on 3DS and Joker is on the cover of that. Also again it's probably Nintendo just being nice.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Firstly, Persona 5 is never coming to Switch...

...so this was probably due to ATLUS wanting their own rep (or Nintendo wanting an ATLUS rep). Joker is most definitely the most well-known ATLUS character at the moment so he was a perfect fit for that place; for Nintendo his inclusion was a complete surprise that drove hype for Smash and its DLC.
So do you think it is just coincidence that P5R is being revealed at the same time Joker in smash is being revealed? What about the new girl being in smash too? Nintendo just accepted to include in smash a completely new character that has no proven popularity?
Persona Q2 comes out in the West in June on 3DS and Joker is on the cover of that. Also again it's probably Nintendo just being nice.
Nintendo is a corporation, they don't things to just be nice

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017

mwhIazJ.jpg
Good question.
They did the same with Final Fantasy VII, not the series as a whole, with Cloud in the trailer years before FFVII actually was announced.
What about Cloud, is not a good response to what is being asked, because a Gaming Icon with the infamous 'Betrayalton' history vs latest exclusive Protag on PS4 is not in the same league of warranting a pass from fans. And if you ask Nintendo fans, I don't think many of them will say we excuse Cloud from the same bitterness we feel about Joker. Cloud still has a sour taste for many. Nintendo allowing this to repeat is not going to stop people feeling a way about it.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
The fact that corporate politics don't influence Smash's roster as much as one would think should make people excited and grateful but it's mostly just produced a bunch of whining.

I think everyone takes for granted just how lucky smash is that nintendo's 1st party studios, let alone 3rd party ones, work with them to get characters into the game.

PS All Stars couldnt even get fucking Wander from SoTC because the devs didnt think Wander would "fit in". Which is a 1st party IP.

Then for 3rd parties Activision didnt even wanna hand over Crash.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry OP. Videogames' most famous character not yet in Smash, Haruka Amami, is coming.

haruka-amami-the-idolmaster-shiny-festa-76.jpg

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They probably needed an Atlus rep and he's the closest thing Atlus has to a "face" character right now. Nintendo knew his inclusion in Smash would draw headlines whereas including some character from one of the SMT games (I know I can't think of a single one's name from any of those off the top of my head) would probably draw little more than shrugs. Plus him starring in a soon to release 3DS game probably helps.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Rope in those that don't have Switch, announcer is Joker's voice actor, good relationship with Sega and Atlus, and it's a series from Japan, popular in the west.

There's crazier choices they could have made, and considering this was revealed before launch, I'm sure those are coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.