• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
It's the most recent main character from a fan favourite series many people are fanatical for and would buy an entire dlc pack, game and system for. Comparing the kind of popularity Persona has with something like Tomb Raider is a bit silly, Tomb Raider is well known but isn't exactly a series many would cite as their favourite.

Lara Croft wasn't just an Icon for games, she was an Icon for the 90s as a whole. I think that validates her selection if Nintendo and Sakurai wanted her.

I also agree that P5R will 100% be on Switch. The only reason it wasn't revealed today is that it'll probably be in the next Direct.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Relax Nintendo fans. Persona on switch is 99% going to happen.my guess is p5s is switch bound but in an Atlus way of doing things, it could just be vanilla persona 5

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
...yeah this seems to be based moreso on people having a hate boner for P5 and Atlus in general than anything else.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
also people really need to stop acting like people only own one console....

if this gets people to buy smash then it is very much worth it for Nintendo.

The reveal showed that people were now interested in the game because of Joker.
They can get people to buy smash with characters with big games on Nintendo consoles too

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that corporate politics don't influence Smash's roster as much as one would think should make people excited and grateful but it's mostly just produced a bunch of whining.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Atlus has a long history of making quality exclusive games for Nintendo systems. Even their iconic SMT franchise is very heavily concentrated on Nintendo systems, going as far as having a Virtual Boy title.

Atlus earned a Smash roster spot a long time ago.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yes and people still whined like little babies that it didn't came out along the PS4 version and that there was no news.
Patience is a lost virtue it seems.
P5 switch will come so for the love of got can we have less switch whining pls.

There's no indication whatsoever that Persona 5 will come to Switch (outside of some real flimsy rumours) whereas DQ11 was, again, the first ever game announced for the console. The comparison just doesn't work regardless of what your other opinions are.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But how does promoting P5 on PS4 make sense for Nintendo?
PQ2 already released and died in Japan and 3DS has been dead in the West for awhile

Nintendo gets to show off a new character for their game. Q2 hasn't released globally yet and the 3DS is not dead in the west.

Much like P5 on Switch, just because ERA says something doesn't make it true. 3DS isn't flying off the shelves, but they're selling well enough and have some 1p and 3p software hitting in the next few months.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Isn't like ~50% of smash characters silent protagonists anyway?

Plus Joker is in Persona Q2 which is on a Nintendo console.

It makes perfect sense for Joker to be in Smash.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
46b.gif

Now if only we can get a fan edit with Joker.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I said this in another thread but Atlus always supports Nintendo with game releases late into a system's run. Nintendo probably just asked them who they'd want their rep to be and frankly at this point it's Joker.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's doesn't just come down to raw sales numbers of the games the characters game from. There's (probably) all manner of ways and reasons Nintendo and Sakurai choose new fighters, from stuff like historical relevance (whether with Nintendo, or to gaming as a whole for more notable characters like Snake and Cloud) to stuff like how willing the other party is for it to happen (for example, if Cloud wasn't, ya know, Cloud, I don't think Nintendo would've fought all that hard to get him in if they were only working with a couple of songs when others -- including Konami no less -- have allowed Nintendo to play around with plenty more).

For those two in the title in particular, I can see 2B being ruled out because she was already a guest character in SCVI (as DLC too, similar to how she would be here) and they want to avoid being seen as just "copying" for want of a better word, alongside some other reasons. For Tracer, while she is the mascot of Overwatch, it's a game with no prior historical relevance (obviously) from a Western company (while there are Western-developed characters in Smash, they are all ones with very strong ties to Nintendo) whose last game on a Nintendo console before Diablo 3 was at the turn of the millennium.

Now all that being said, I do still suspect Persona 5 will make its way to Switch in one form or another, so this is all just academical to me.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Joker is in Smash Bros as a representative for Atlus. As a company, Atlus has a long history of working with Nintendo and developing exclusives for Nintendo systems. An Atlus rep is entirely appropriate for Smash representation as a result.

Joker is likely the character that Atlus wanted to see in Smash. He represents their currently best-selling property. Atlus wants to promote the Persona brand, and Nintendo must be amenable to that idea.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If sales is the sole indicative factor of popularity, sure, but we all know this isn't the case at all.

Persona as a brand is way more known in Japanese gaming circles and even Western enthusiast circles, moreso than NieR. Persona 5 alone has had spinoffs like Q2, P5D, dozens of mobile game collaborations with popular games like Granblue, a fuckton of merch, collaboration cafes, animes, OVAs, mangas (we just got a new one recently), promotional material everywhere and an upcoming concert with tickets already sold out. Joker is the one face that comes to mind when you think of all of this.

Hell, The Royal announcement was #1 trending on both Japanese and United States twitter.

In the case of Nier, aside from the game and a few concerts, there's no lasting push for it to stay in the public consciousness. Joker is more recognizable and a lot more popular than 2B.

Era =/= Everywhere else
Sorry to break it to ya bud
Not sure the Metric you're using for "face of Modern JRPG", but Noctis is a new character from a long running series like Joker, except FFXV has probably had far more people play it. Sora isn't new, but KH3 is far larger than Persona 5. Heck, depending on how far back "modern" goes, Shulk is pretty iconic thanks to years in Smash, Xenoblade 1 being one of the most pirated games out there, and the memes.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what the fuck is this post
This thread could almost have had a point if OP wasn't just using it to try and shape their dislike of Persona 5 into some sort of objective reasoning for why Joker shouldn't be in Smash.

Instead of just accepting that your not gonna like every character who gets in the game.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
It's quite possible that Atlus wanted to keep the SMT series fresh in the mind of Switch owners so that they would know what the series is for buying games such as SMT: Strange Journey and the Persona 3DS spinoffs if Atlus ever makes games like those for the Switch.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
It's simple.
Sakurai played Persona 5
Sakurai loved Persona 5 (it's style in particular)
When Nintendo were picking the DLC characters, Sakurai probably stated he wanted to include Joker, Nintendo said ok, Atlus said ok, and thus Joker in Smash.

While I style think the Persona series will make it's way onto Switch at some point (every title except 5 has had a Portable version so far), I don't believe Joker getting into Smash had anything to do with it.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
what the fuck is this post
Kawakami
What does this have to do with anything?
because cloud gets the bare minumum of promotion in the game
I said this in another thread but Atlus always supports Nintendo with game releases late into a system's run. Nintendo probably just asked them who they'd want their rep to be and frankly at this point it's Joker.
The thing is that the dlc is being released at the same time P5R is being announced, it doesnt make sense that Nintendo will just allow Atlus use smash to promote their games and not get much back

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There's absolutely no way Nintendo select Joker to be in Smash without getting some kind of a Persona deal. Maybe it's a port of 5, maybe it's going to be Persona 6, but it's not going to be nothing (or a Persona Q).

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Joker over Tressa is also pretty weird.

Because Tressa's game sold only slightly less and is actually on the Switch.

And she's a better character obviously.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Really should have had the Atlus character be later in the DLC and have it be a SMTV character. I like Joker's inclusion, but it is getting more strange with each passing day. Still got that PQ2 loop hole though lol.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
I think it's still very, very likely that P5 will be on Switch at some point. As someone who hasn't played a single Persona game I think Joker was a cool choice and will really fit in on the roster. He's well known even to someone like me and I would buy P5 if it gets on Switch. Awesome starting point for the DLC and I think anything goes for the other 4.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
Because they wanted to have the protagonist of the most recent Persona game in Smash. As shockingly simple as that is, it's not to hard to understand.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
It's quite possible that Atlus wanted to keep the SMT series fresh in the mind of Switch owners so that they would know what the series is for buying games such as SMT: Strange Journey and the Persona 3DS spinoffs if Atlus ever makes games like those for the Switch.

SMT5 is coming out in 2020 or 2021 for Switch.

... That's a long time from now.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's simple.
Sakurai played Persona 5
Sakurai loved Persona 5 (it's style in particular)
When Nintendo were picking the DLC characters, Sakurai probably stated he wanted to include Joker, Nintendo said ok, Atlus said ok, and thus Joker in Smash.

While I style think the Persona series will make it's way onto Switch at some point (every title except 5 has had a Portable version so far), I don't believe Joker getting into Smash had anything to do with it.
This would make sense if the dlc wasnt dropping at the same moment that P5R is being revealed. Joker is definitely being added to promote this game

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo gets to show off a new character for their game. Q2 hasn't released globally yet and the 3DS is not dead in the west.

Much like P5 on Switch, just because ERA says something doesn't make it true. 3DS isn't flying off the shelves, but they're selling well enough and have some 1p and 3p software hitting in the next few months.
Last first party release already came out.
3DS is poison for software sales

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It does not matter if Persona 5 lands on Switch, Jack Frost should have been the representative.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Hostility to fellow members
There's no indication whatsoever that Persona 5 will come to Switch (outside of some real flimsy rumours) whereas DQ11 was, again, the first ever game announced for the console. The comparison just doesn't work regardless of what your other opinions are.
Lol most disingenious thing ever. P5 will be in Smash + the leaks have been on point so far.

But sure I guess defend your right to cry like babies about P5 NEVER being on switch. I'm going to laugh at this like I did laugh about all the dumbasses whining about dq11 in a couple months. Switch stans have been one of the most insufferable group of posters on this side for sure.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
They probably asked Asus for characters, and they wanted to ´promote Joker because of persona 5 R and S wherever those are released.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cloud was in a few Nintendo handheld games.
Final Fantasy also has a long history with the platform.

Persona has 2 games. One with Joker which is not out yet
Persona is a spinoff of Shin Megani Tensei. Also Q2 is out in Japan.
Joker over Tressa is also pretty weird.

Because Tressa's game sold only slightly less and is actually on the Switch.

And she's a better character obviously.
Who?

And again opinions.
because cloud gets the bare minumum of promotion in the game

The thing is that the dlc is being released at the same time P5R is being announced, it doesnt make sense that Nintendo will just allow Atlus use smash to promote their games and not get much back
Still don't know what your point about Cloud relates to Joker.

Also Brawl had several things from Metal Gear Solid 4. And that sure as shit wasn't coming to the Wii.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There's absolutely no way Nintendo select Joker to be in Smash without getting some kind of a Persona deal. Maybe it's a port of 5, maybe it's going to be Persona 6, but it's not going to be nothing (or Persona Q).

At this point, I guess it's possible they could just throw Joker as a guest character in SMTV too with all this push he's getting.

Last first party release already came out.
3DS is poison for software sales

They didn't know that whenever this was decided though. They were clearly surprised by how much the 3ds fell off in their last financial report.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The Joker thing makes much more sense when you think that Cloud is representing every Final Fantasy game like how Simon is representing every Castlevania game and how Sonic is representing every Sonic game.

Than you choose if Joker is representing every Persona game, every SMT game or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.