• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ginge

Jul 23, 2020
honestly zenimax online makes a lot of sense, they have been working on a 'new ip' for a a year ish now, and could likely pull off a online KOTOR game really well, the elder scrolls online is unironically good now, and I could see disney/EA wanting to go to someone with experience. Also zenimax was obviously looking for cash and would likely have been fine doing something like a KOTOR game for Disney. The EA contract expires in 2023, so maybe its planned to be released after that!

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
honestly zenimax online makes a lot of sense, they have been working on a 'new ip' for a a year ish now, and could likely pull off a online KOTOR game really well, the elder scrolls online is unironically good now, and I could see disney/EA wanting to go to someone with experience. Also zenimax was obviously looking for cash and would likely have been fine doing something like a KOTOR game for Disney. The EA contract expires in 2023, so maybe its planned to be released after that!
They have an online KOTOR game already?

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
This game already exists.

The purpose of a remake / remaster / reboot which is principally within the KOTOR universe in time or spirit is to capture the attentions of people that didn't want to continue that story within TOR.

Oct 31, 2017
Had to dig for this, but earlier this year (which feels like 5 years ago...) You mentioned it wasn't at EA.

I wonder which publisher and developer then...

Microsoft with Obsidian and Bethesda. System seller right there. However the EA/Lucas film is still 3 1/2 years away from expiring, so unless that is getting cut short I don't see it happening.

Disney owns the IP but surely some of the content must be owned by BioWare? If they are planning a remake i.e actually basing it off the original game, EA must be involved somehow? Especially as there's still three years on the Star Wars deal and quite frankly with the money EA have made them, I can see them re-upping it. I know BioWare didn't make KOTOR 2 but they decided to pass on it before it went to Obsidian and I think they actually did talk to Obsidian about what they would have done and helped them? And also BioWare quite literally just released content with Revan and Exile in SWTOR the last month which Disney would have agreed, it would be a bit weird if they weren't involved in anyway?

My understanding on copyright for licensed videogames is as follow, the IP owner, in this case Lucas, would own the underlying story, characters, world, etc, possibly the soundtrack as well. The developer/publisher would own most of the underlying assets, code, binary, and so on. So if Lucas wanted to revive LucasArts or license KOTOR to Nintendo for a remake they could, but any code and asset would have to be started from scratch. I guess at this point that's true regardless, but you get what I'm saying.

That's why sometimes you see more than one copyright owner for a game.

Last edited:

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft with Obsidian and Bethesda. System seller right there. However the EA/Lucas film is still 3 1/2 years away from expiring, so unless that is getting cut short I don't see it happening.

My understanding on copyright for licensed videogames is as follow, the IP owner, in this case Lucas, would own the underlying story, characters, world, etc, possibly the soundtrack as well. The developer/publisher would own most of the underlying assets, code, binary, and so on. So if Lucas wanted to revive LucasArts or license KOTOR to Nintendo for a remake they could, but any code and asset would have to be started from scratch. I guess at this point that's true regardless, but you get what I'm saying.

That's why sometimes you see more than one copyright owner for a game.

LucasArts was the publisher on KOTOR though, and they even had Aspyr do a mobile port of the original KOTOR a few years ago.
I'd bet big money Lucasfilm owns it all.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody's going to guess right that's for sure

I'm just happy this could be a possibility. I think a spiritual successor makes more sense than a remake, given the new expanded universe shows coming.

If I had to guess I would say either MS penned an exclusive deal and have inXile working on it. Or its been outsourced to an unknown new team.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Ready for the most batshit crazy guess in this thread: Turn 10 (the Forza guys).

First of all, it's supposedly not EA which means we won't see the game until 2024 at a minimum. Now, Turn 10 is finishing up the new Forza Motorsport which will be a live platform on which to build, and has been assisting not just 343 on Halo Infinite but more importantly PlayGround Games on Fable, especially on the tech end. Turn 10 employees are serving a larger part in Fable than expected, and the studio stocked up on narrative talent on what was assumed to be Forza. Fable is seemingly running on a heavily modified Forzatech.

So, you have a team that no longer has to rush out sequels, has worked to modify their racing engine into an action RPG one, that has the talent and has a game that has aged like a fine wine to pull from. They don't need to worry about story pacing, quest design, world design, etc. as many fans would be more than happy with an expanded remake that keeps the fundamental design and just populates it more. They have friends at PlayGround and they can reuse Fable's combat and animations for Kotor, they got the guys who made Kotor 2 on speed dial, they have InXile and Bethesda to lend a helping hand as needed as well as Undead Labs and 343i a stone's throw from the office, and they can hire as needed.

Lock it in here until deconfirmed otherwise: Kotor remake by Turn 10.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Ready for the most batshit crazy guess in this thread: Turn 10 (the Forza guys).

First of all, it's supposedly not EA which means we won't see the game until 2024 at a minimum. Now, Turn 10 is finishing up the new Forza Motorsport which will be a live platform on which to build, and has been assisting not just 343 on Halo Infinite but more importantly PlayGround Games on Fable, especially on the tech end. Turn 10 employees are serving a larger part in Fable than expected, and the studio stocked up on narrative talent on what was assumed to be Forza. Fable is seemingly running on a heavily modified Forzatech.

So, you have a team that no longer has to rush out sequels, has worked to modify their racing engine into an action RPG one, that has the talent and has a game that has aged like a fine wine to pull from. They don't need to worry about story pacing, quest design, world design, etc. as many fans would be more than happy with an expanded remake that keeps the fundamental design and just populates it more. They have friends at PlayGround and they can reuse Fable's combat and animations for Kotor, they got the guys who made Kotor 2 on speed dial, they have InXile and Bethesda to lend a helping hand as needed as well as Undead Labs and 343i a stone's throw from the office, and they can hire as needed.

Definitely not an orthodox choice. Although considering it's not EA, then its release date is anyone's guess, for all we know it might have been worked on for a while now.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i don't think Disney wants to lock any Star Wars game on a single plataform, be it Xbox or be it Playstation. it won't be done by a first party studio owned by those two.

reflecting back on Jason's tweet maybe he meant that will be outsourced and will still be an EA game.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
Is this actually happening?

Beamdog, maybe? Updating BioWare stuff is kind of their thing. (A guess, rather than a wish or anything).

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Larian is one of the few studios not owned by Microsoft who could not only do it well, but to the level of the original.

I'd personally be all over ELEX or Mount & Blade in a Star Wars skin, but the average person buying a Star Wars RPG in the 2020s wouldn't jive with those types of experiences.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018

That would be interesting, but I think it's not very likely, considering that Turn 10 is a Microsoft studio and I can't really see them doing a multiplatform game a SW game would be.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
Vicarious Visions have proven themselves to be incredible at remakes and it seems to be their thing right now, and KOTOR is my favorite cRPG of all time so I would definitely trust them with it.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
i don't think Disney wants to lock any Star Wars game on a single plataform, be it Xbox or be it Playstation. it won't be done by a first party studio owned by those two.

reflecting back on Jason's tweet maybe he meant that will be outsourced and will still be an EA game.

It could be. But I think it's interesting that, to this day, we still never got the full details of the contract disclosed. Much less the exact rules for how/why certain workarounds, like the Lego Star Wars games, were allowed to be produced without any interjection from EA.

It always made me think that Disney/Lucasarts left the wording of the contract open enough that they could go outside of the EA deal, if it so suit their needs.

For example, what if the contract stipulated that only EA was allowed to make "AAA games starring Star Wars games that focused on/around the time frames of the three trilogies"? That'd free LA to revisit KOTOR (or something similar) on their own accord with another party, because KOTOR's setting is as far away removed from the movies as could be.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
LUCASFILM GAMES BEGINS A NEW ERA

This seems relevant^

only speculating, but this seems like something you would do if you were interested in collaborating with more developers right? If that EA exclusivity contract isn't getting renewed.... the door is open for someone else to be working on the KOTOR remake.

PERSONALLY, I could see Microsoft wanting one of their teams on it, since they're investing heavily in RPGs these days, not to mention their history with the game.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

This seems relevant^

only speculating, but this seems like something you would do if you were interested in collaborating with more developers right? If that EA exclusivity contract isn't getting renewed.... the door is open for someone else to be working on the KOTOR remake.

PERSONALLY, I could see Microsoft wanting one of their teams on it, since they're investing heavily in RPGs these days, not to mention their history with the game.

Hah, you beat me to it before I could go back and add on to my post!

Normally, I'd agree with the notion that maybe they don't want to lock something like Star Wars to a single platform. But if the "Marvel Games" strategy is what we're looking at here, I could easily see a new era where a whole range of different SW games hit different platforms. Including the Switch, which EA has been mostly avoiding on purpose.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

This seems relevant^

Breathing level: Heavy.

They used this:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
I hope that the rumors of a remake/new KOTOR game are true. But honestly, if it's not EA as suggested in previous pages, I don't have any idea about who could do it.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If there does turn out to be a Knights of the Old Republic game in development, I'm not expecting a retelling of the originals.

Likely something that borrows some elements of the originals, but is something that will stand on its own. Something Disney will approve.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
If we're going with unlikely picks based on the early hint (and it's not a joke about it not actually happening), my guess is Kojima Studios. Gives him a good excuse to lean into making a movie while being a relatively safe bet to pay the bills.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Breathing level: Heavy.

They used this:

Another small thing to note. They recently added Revan's Jedi Knight robes to SWTOR.

Very small thing no doubt, but this focus on KOTOR stuff seems interesting.
EDIT: Playing the latest patch 6.2 right now:

Revan's Force Ghost plays a part in the storyline

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Another small thing to note. They recently added Revan's Jedi Knight robes to SWTOR.

Very small thing no doubt, but this focus on KOTOR stuff seems interesting.

And there's still one more expansion on the way too, right?

It's enough to make me wonder if the easiest way to make a new KOTOR game is to just let the KOTOR/TOR timeline continue, separate from the rest of the SW brand. No need to worry about making it fit somewhere within that official series timeline, and you get the best possibility of making a game that truly lives up to what people want from a new KOTOR.

Oct 31, 2017

This seems relevant^

Given today's news it seems like MS is open to licensing IPs for their internal developers to work on. A KOTOR 1+2 remake in 2023/2024 followed by KOTOR 3 a couple of years later would be a huge deal.

Obsidian or another one of MS' RPG studios would be great for this.

I hope that the rumors of a remake/new KOTOR game are true. But honestly, if it's not EA as suggested in previous pages, I don't have any idea about who could do it.

What rumors?

Jan 4, 2018

www.forbes.com

‘Knights Of The Old Republic’ Remake Rumors Resurface, But Who Would Make It?

The industry is buzzing this morning about a new rumor that EA is considering a Knights of the Old Republic remake or spiritual sequel, depending on how the reports are parsed.

It came from Cinelinx last year if I'm correct. One souce adding that it could be a reimagining with elements from the two KOTOR games instead of a remake. Don't know how reliable is this.