• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are the odds that Nintendo reverts the individualized characters back into their generic forms?

• Very unlikely

Votes: 171 57.8%
  • Somewhat unlikely

Votes: 37 12.5%
  • Somewhat likely

Votes: 34 11.5%
  • Very likely

Votes: 54 18.2%

• Total voters

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
They did do it before so the answer is yes but not to a level of serious concern
8d5.png
I'm just saying if you turn skeleton donkey kong into a normal skeleton I'm gonna notice.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
They are pretty good keeping with the source material as long as it's not some IP issue. So very unlikely

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Not saying they won't but the precedent of all Nintendo's recent games is to keep the characters weird(in a good way) and unique, not generic

Nov 1, 2017
The named characters would probably keep their looks, more or less (remember when NPCs in a Mario RPG actually had names? Good times). Everything else will get the boring homogenized "on-model" makeover, though.

Ex:

PMTTYD_Boo_Sprite.png
to
Boo_PMSS.png

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Man, I don't want to change my avatar because people think Paper Mario fans are annoying now....

I set the announcement thread to ignore because it was too distracting. Since doing that, my mind is more at peace. The series is different now, and if you have access to the first two games, consider yourself blessed to be there when those games came out.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
*Paper Mario fans being rather consistent with their criticisms of the series for the past 8 years*

*A new game is announced which looks to yet again ignore most of the criticisms while making baby steps forward in regards to a few of them*

*A single person makes a hyperbolic thread out of exasperation*

"Gosh why do Paper Mario fans suck so much?"

Jan 10, 2018
Nintendo attracts a special kind of obsessive hate boner, but I think we reached the trough the looking glass territory

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I don't like the direction Nintendo took Paper Mario either, but I think you might need to relax a bit, OP.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see a remake happening but if it did then yes, the characters would be "upgraded" to generic forms. Don't know why everyone is so against the OP, search your feelings, you know it to be true.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
im afraid of what nintendo will do. it could be very bad. nintendo fears good and original character design these days. and as we all know: fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. in this case, my suffering... of generalized characters in a paper mario remake.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
If Nintendo remakes Doshin the Giant, what are the odds they completely butcher the soundtrack by replacing it with just the sound of tambourines and gongs and bongos banging furiously over and over again on loop for the entirety of the game

Oct 27, 2017
How does it feel waking up in the morning and just seething at the thought of a Paper Mario remake that doesn't even exist.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
*Paper Mario fans being rather consistent with their criticisms of the series for the past 8 years*

*A new game is announced which looks to yet again ignore most of the criticisms while making baby steps forward in regards to a few of them*

Yep.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the image in the OP because it wants to imply the bottom row is your generic set set of partners whereas it's not even known if the game has partners, and if it's based on characters who followed mario around in the trailer then most of the row wasn't even there, and the Toad explorer is conveniently missing. Jumping the gun all around.

Also I don't think the og paper mario was a beacon of diversity, most of these are generic-looking mario characters with a twist.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How? Someone just posted the comparison. You still had tons of unique characters.
That image doesn't have everything. Basically if an enemy or NPC has a normal design, they're swapped with a generic version. Obviously you can't replace Cackletta with a damn Goomba and have the same story, but you can replace a unique looking big beefy looking Koopa with a generic resized normal Koopa as the game does.

Aug 10, 2019
Nintendo generally doesn't do things of that nature. They usually seem to not only appreciate what characters used to look like, but will flaunt old character models compared to newer ones in a manner that's completely unapologetic. Like the 2d parts in Mario Odyssey, Mario RPG, or the hodgepodge that is Smash Bros and Mario Kart.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020

*does a whole bunch of a cool different stuff, much evidence to the contrary of 'ignoring criticism' in regards to battles and environment and writing, specific info available about it returning to RPG elements*

"sorry this 2 minute clip has killed all of my hope for Paper Mario, i don't see unique partners and the same battle system, it's all over"

ya'll have been stung too many times and it shows. not even waiting for any real info before declaring it a failure to meet your expectations is not a great sign of a healthy fanbase.

Last edited:

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
They clearly like sticking with the — I'll put their likely positive spin on it — "iconic" characters at this point, but they're not going to undesign characters in a remake just to spite you.