• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This is a joke, they're not going to do a whole dub again.

didn't brother nier have a much worse backstory than father nier

yep but thankfully that shit isn't in the game.

What were the differences between the original two games on PS360? Just two different characters? Model swaps, different lines? Or a whole different story, combat, etc? I've always been confused by this.

Just a model and voice swap, and some lines to refer Yonah as her sister instead of daughter for example.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I'm buying the game anyway, but it'd be cool to have for the complete experience. I'd definitely give the game another A-E with HD Papa Nier

Oct 27, 2017
I am not gonna buy it just because they said so. If they add him I will buy it. If not then I will stick with the OG.

Father Nier is one of the biggest reasons I liked the original. If he isn't in the game then I don't care about it.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm expecting all the Papa Nier die-hards to buy 10 copies now

I honestly don't care if it's brother or papa nier, just give it to me

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
assume everything said in a Nier stream is trolling until proven otherwise

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
He will be as Shadowlord regardless.
?

the Shadowlord design changes with Nier designs, heck brother Nier Shadowlord design actually changes once the time skip happens unlike father Nier
latest
latest

imo it looks so much better then what father nier gets

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 30, 2017
I hope it sells even more because it deserves it.

To me the story and OST and characters of first Nier is much more superior to Automata... specially the OST is a masterpiece of work.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I hope some of you never get your precious old man

I'm just glad I don't have to play as a character wearing sandals this time

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know this is false
From my understanding any changes to the actual story and characterization is minimal.
To me it is like if they took Kratos or Doom guy and then replaced them with some skinny anime teen.
Sure it is just "changing the model" but the whole experience changes.

So yeah, unless they bringing him back I am skipping.

Agreed.

The way Father Nier feels in the story is very different to Brother Nier.
How does it feel different? It's a about a guardian going through hell and making mistakes to protect their charge. Playing as a dumb anime teen or a melting Gary Busey wax figure shouldn't change that.

Oct 27, 2017
How does it feel different? It's a about a guardian going through hell and making mistakes to protect their charge. Playing as a dumb anime teen or a melting Gary Busey was figure shouldn't change that.
I don't know how else to explain it to you.

Imagine in GOW where Kratos turned from this mad brute into this skinny teen that is mad. The whole story would feel different and not as effective. The story might be the same but the theme and vibe would be very different.

Then there are also the voice. Old Nier was awesome and that can't be replaced.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how else to explain it to you.

Imagine in GOW where Kratos turned from this mad brute into this skinny teen that is mad. The whole story would feel different and not as effective. The story might be the same but the theme and vibe would be very different.

Then there are also the voice. Old Nier was awesome and that can't be replaced.
Papa Nier isn't Kratos so no I don't see it.

Also in this case it's more like if Capcom replaces Dante with Kratos since brother Nier was first and the story was written for him.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Since I played Papa Nier on the PS3 I'm actually curious to see how Brother Nier will be.
Would be nice with a choice from the start though.

Oct 27, 2017
Papa Nier isn't Kratos so no I don't see it.

Also in this case it's more like if Capcom replaces Dante with Kratos since brother Nier was first and the story was written for him.
I doubt we will see eye to eye so I will give you a last example.

Persona 3. In the portable version you can play either as a guy or a girl. Both have the same exact story but they feel very different. The guy is more of a loner while the girl is more cheery.

That's how it feels to me. In Persona 3's case I like both sides but in Nier I prefer Father Nier because it is just better to me. You might not agree but that doesn't mean it doesn't feel different.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The irony of bringing up God of War is that what Yoichi Wada wanted Nier to appeal to that audience in the West.

Edit: To clarify, I mean Wada wanted a game similar in tone/style to God of War (original games) and that eventually led to NieR Gestalt and Replicant being created. Take that with a grain of salt because I'm having trouble finding a source but I remember reading that years ago.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's fine to prefer the father-daughter relationship over the brother-sister one, but I think saying it's "not as effective" and this "skinny teen" characterisation as negative is a bit odd. It's not like the reverse doesn't work either. "Imagine they turned a loving sibling into an elderly barbaric steroid-imbued thug wearing a corny batman reject mask that smooches a 20 year old."

That said, no matter the preference, I can't imagine that being so important to the entire story and game generally that people wouldn't pick it up one way or another, but that seems to be the case with many people.

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine to prefer the father-daughter relationship over the brother-sister one, but I think saying it's "not as effective" and this "skinny teen" characterisation as negative is a bit odd. It's not like the reverse doesn't work either. "Imagine they turned a loving sibling into an elderly barbaric steroid-imbued thug wearing a corny batman reject mask that smooches a 20 year old."
Just for the record, I mean effective to me personally.

Though I agree, that thing with Kaine was always weird to me. Then again, Kaine's whole character has stuff that I would prefer they change like her character design.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I like Papa Nier way more , it's clear the story is written for Brother Nier

In the timeskip you go from a kid to an adult. In Gestalt you go from an old man to an old man with an eye patch lol

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
I had no idea that people hated brother Nier so much, his design and story is better than papa Nier imo.

Oct 27, 2017
The irony of bringing up God of War is that what Yoichi Wada wanted Nier to appeal to that audience in the West.

Edit: To clarify, I mean Wada wanted a game similar in tone/style to God of War (original games) and that eventually led to NieR Gestalt and Replicant being created. Take that with a grain of salt because I'm having trouble finding a source but I remember reading that years ago.
I remember reading it too so you are not alone in thinking this.
Yeah fingers crossed for alt outfits lol.
I would want to hope but a voice inside tells me they wont.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
As much as I like Papa Nier way more , it's clear the story is written for Brother Nier

In the timeskip you go from a kid to an adult. In Gestalt you go from an old man to an old man with an eye patch lol
It taking the trauma of losing Yonah and Kaine, plus four years, for an adult to figure out how to wield two handed weapons seemed really weird to me at the time.

Oct 28, 2017
Though I agree, that thing with Kaine was always weird to me. Then again, Kaine's whole character has stuff that I would prefer they change like her character design.
Yeah, that's why I'm kinda blasé on the whole thing. The Nier Yohna dynamic feels more natural as Father-Daughter relationship. However, Brother Nier and Kainé dynamic seems like it would feel more natural.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's why I'm kinda blasé on the whole thing. The Nier Yohna dynamic feels more natural as Father-Daughter relationship. However, Brother Nier and Kainé dynamic seems like it would feel more natural.
It would be great if they take this chance to fix it if Father Nier does get patched in.
Something like changing Kaine's design and aging her up could work well.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they add him regardless. I'll stick with my xbox copy if not. I hate when companies hold features for ransom. Fuck that just add both and let people choose.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I would not take all stuff said by Taro and Saito on live shows as statements like the thread title suggests.
Then again it's two crazy mfers so who knows.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt we will see eye to eye so I will give you a last example.

Persona 3. In the portable version you can play either as a guy or a girl. Both have the same exact story but they feel very different. The guy is more of a loner while the girl is more cheery.

That's how it feels to me. In Persona 3's case I like both sides but in Nier I prefer Father Nier because it is just better to me. You might not agree but that doesn't mean it doesn't feel different.
comparing nier to persona 3 portable doesn't seem fair. like most people have in Nier it's a glorified skin swap with a different VA, in P3P the you get a whole different set of social links depending on who you chose which is way more the what Nier does

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Fuck "consider". They should commit to doing it. I'll buy the game either way but it's such a shady thing to do. "Oh maybe you'll get the character you actually wanted in the first place if you buy it" GTFOH