• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Automata has gone to like, 5 millions. You told me the year before it was announced that a NieR sequel would become a mainstream icon (you've be amazed how mainstream adult entertainers and those cosplayers that go to conventions just to brag about quality cosplays have done 2B stuff, if that tell you anything), and would even save Platinum Game, i would laugh of my ass.

But hey, everything is possible.

I think this video of Frustrated Jacob explains well how Square Enix are more open to mid tier games and not having to sell 10 million copies in a month to stay afloat.

This was a good video

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
To be honest part of the reason was thanks to 2B design, not saying that was the only reason but surely was the main one, i highly doubt that Replicant will sell as well especially since what is asking is half of Automata lifetime sales

Not gonna lie that 2B is... attractive. but a game can't be a whole mainstream success with just booty. If then, Senran Kagura and Onechanbara would have sold more than Call of Duty.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Also the context for that quote is clearly light hearted/joking.

People are gonna ignore context and run with it but there hardly dangling a carrot. More like joking/musing aloud

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I too enjoy the dad version over the brother. Would like the option.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Seriously though if this is your deciding point you must not have cared that much about the game in the first place.
Yeah the reaction is super weird. We already have an official Nier Gestalt release in english. Remaking the version the west DIDN'T get is really great imo, So now both versions are officially available in english.

Like yeah sure it would be great if it included both in one package, especially since its a $60 title. But I'll take what I can get.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah the reaction is super weird. We already have an official Nier Gestalt release in english. Remaking the version the west DIDN'T get is really great imo, So now both versions are officially available in english.

Like yeah sure it would be great if it included both in one package, especially since its a $60 title. But I'll take what I can get.
Eh, while technically true the English localization of Gestalt is locked to the PS3 and 360.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
So I can wait and get the best protagonist later when it'll be at a much cheaper price? Damn Yoko Taro, that sounds pretty great to me, thanks!

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
And that matters because...? There was no romantic relationship as far as I remember between them.
They literally kiss in one of the endings bruh.

Yoko Taro is on record that Kaine beating up Nier after a certain death and then stopping when she pins him is her realizing she is in love with him.

Also like, the kiss was in screen, it wasn't obscured. Did people in this thread just straight up not play through ending C?

That's not even getting into if they add Ending E to the remake. Which is literally almost exclusively about it.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do people know brother Nier is a worse protagonist? People here playing the Japanese version?

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Cool. I won't buy it unless they add him in. Fingers crossed other people buy it so I can get it at a discount when the real protag is added back in.
tell that to taro, literally every game he references this game is it's young nier, I think the old version was only made to cater to western fans, gestalt was also 360 only in japan and well you can guess how japan and the xbox relationship is

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
There's at least a little romantic/sexual tension in the second half of the game, from what I recall.
There is the ending when he asks Kaine to stay with him and Yonah if he wants. Pretty minor I guess lol.

Yoko Taro is on record that Kaine beating up Nier after a certain death and then stopping when she pins him isn't her realizing she is in love with him.

Also like, the kiss was in screen, it wasn't obscured. Did people in this thread just straight up not play through ending C?

I stand corrected.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017

Yoko Taro is on record that Kaine beating up Nier after a certain death and then stopping when she pins him isn't her realizing she is in love with him.

Now that I think about it, I never did get to ending C. 😅
it feel more blatant in replicant but that's probably because there isn't such a big age gap
I can believe that. In regards to controversy, Brother Nier being 16 when he meets Kaine also makes things weird.

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm kinda undecided on picking this up, despite being a fan of the original. It's probably my favourite 360 game, got the ABC endings (not D, I kept putting it off to garden and then gave up on the game...)

Papa Nier was such a breath of fresh air in that time period, hell even now he would be. I get that it's not Taro's original vision, but it's the vision I prefer.
That said, my only experience with "Brother" Nier is through videos online (mostly the cutscenes, in Japanese) and the model as DLC. I was still not a fan.

I guess I'll wait on impressions first. I was there day 1 for Automata, but this I think I can wait for a bit.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I just remember naming Papa Nier Hamburg in my save file, because man, that face.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
How do people know brother Nier is a worse protagonist? People here playing the Japanese version?
His characterization is more or less exactly the same, with most of the minor differences being how some other characters react to him. (Emil and Kaine both having romantic feelings for him is more obvious the time skip makes more sense etc)

But the actual character isn't any different at all. For some bizarre reason Westerners who love papa (and I do to) have concocted this weird fancanon where brother Nier is some whiny siscon or some shit. And it makes no gods damn sense at all.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
His characterization is more or less exactly the same, with most of the minor differences being how some other characters react to him. (Emil and Kaine both having romantic feelings for him is more obvious the time skip makes more sense etc)

But the actual character isn't any different at all. For some bizarre reason Westerners who love papa (and I do to) have concocted this weird fancanon where brother Nier is some whiny siscon or some shit. And it makes no gods damn sense at all.
Nier being written as a teen first and foremost explains a lot. It's something I didn't fully realize until I learned about Replicant years after originally playing localized Gestalt.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
What were the differences between the original two games on PS360? Just two different characters? Model swaps, different lines? Or a whole different story, combat, etc? I've always been confused by this.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Not that I think about it, I never did get to ending C. 😅

I can believe that. In regards to controversy, Brother Nier being 16 when he meets Kaine also makes things weird.
Kaine is 17 in Replicant. One of those weird things they did for Gestlat was raise her age (probably because they didn't exercise the romance and old man x teenager was a nono) along with other weird shit like having Gestalt and Replicant take place during different years

Gestalt in 3361, Replicant in 3465.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
091.gif

Me with my three preordered copies.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
That comes across as a joke more then anything.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if they added him anyway.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Pretty sure this is a joke and either Gestalt is absolutely happening or won't happen at all. I'd rather they either put a cool twist on it to differentiate it more from the original or just leave it out.

I appreciate both Niers but am weirded out how vehemently people defend some of the weird stuff that results from Dad Nier. Mostly the romantic stuff with Kaine and (sort of) Emil. I am curious to see how they'll handle the latter in the English remake since I am pretty sure he says he wants to marry Nier in Replicant originally.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Kaine is 17 in Replicant. One of those weird things they did for Gestlat was raise her age (probably because they didn't exercise the romance and old man x teenager was a nono) along with other weird shit like having Gestalt and Replicant take place during different years

Gestalt in 3361, Replicant in 3465.
Oh, that I did not know. They probably raised her age as well because of how sexualized she is, unless she is also 20 in JPN Gestalt.
Thanks for buying it so I don't have to spend my money on the inferior version, and can wait to pick it up with the correct protagonist.
9bZBvYe.gif

Last edited:

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
The likely thing they'll do is patch it in, in a year or two to stimulate the sales again. Might even be a patch or something

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Pfft, we all know Daddy Nier is in the game somewhere and they'll explain why both Gestalt and Replicant are canon in Automata.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Man, I really don't get the hate around Brother Nier. Yeah I love Papa Nier a lot and I think that the original game is awesome the way it is with the character dynamics and everything (and the perfect voice acting, hopefully the English actors for Kaine and Weiss come back despite both being famous now) but I am also really excited to see the story through the eyes of Brother Nier, and maybe I will find that it all just works better that way.

Also, if they have the DLC, then we will get Papa Nier regardless

Type-Zero

Oct 31, 2017
Welp I went from day one to day of a sale. I hate when they make statement like these, like add if I you are going to don't do this whole ransom bit. So dumb.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
They also joked about remaking/remastering Nier 1 if Automata does well IIRC.

Sooooo ...

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Okay I never followed this at all and I'll be real with everyone

I thought this was a remake of the 1st game with the old MC.

I thought right up until this thread.

Shows how much I follow Nier LOL