• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I feel like back when New Super Mario Bros. DS released, very few people were upset about the art style, music, or similar structure to Super Mario Bros. 3... because it was the first traditional sidescrolling Mario in over a decade. Come NSMBU, four NSMB games in 6 years, and a lot of people feel burnt out on those similar concepts being reused. Shared assets are typical, and even shared music tracks (New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the last NSMB game to be mostly new music tracks). But if in 2012, this was the first ever traditional 2D Mario released since Super Mario World (or Super Mario Land 2 depending on your definition of "traditional"), would it be generally considered a high level Mario game and one of the best in the 2D series?

Consider that when NSMB came out, a big emphasis on it was a "back to basics" approach by having Mario only have the Fire Flower power-up return, and no trademark flying power-up, no Yoshi, instead opting for a rare Koopa Shell power-up. But since then the series brought back the Koopalings, Yoshi, and added several flying power-ups as well as power-ups of other kinds. It felt like the series had to spend several games building back to where the series left off in the early 90s. While NSMBU is seen by some as having the best level design in the sidescrolling series, the NSMB fatigue is real for others and although it's usually seen as the best NSMB game in general, they're often all grouped together into the "disposable" category.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
I think it still is recognized that way, but I do agree that it would be regarded even better if it was the only "new" entry.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Given the hype and fascination around the first NSMB game when it was coming to DS I'd say definitely

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think so. The main issue with it was the overuse of the "NEW" concept, visual design and musical style. Take away all the other versions that led to the stylistic dilution and it'd be a classic.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, even if it was just the one. While the gameplay was OK at best, it was still one Generic as fuck looking Mario.

The only thing I liked was the enemies dancing in time with the music, otherwise it was so damn MEH looking.

Mario Maker 2 ironically for me is the best 2D Mario.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
NSMB DS had the mega mushroom and mini mushroom.

All the games are great, the criticisms are from people who wanted new 3D games like 64 and Galaxy. It wasn't that the games were bad, stale, etc, it's just that they were not what those specific people wanted. If 4 Galaxy style 3D games had been released instead, not a single one of those people would be complaining.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I say yes, part of the reason for the disdain of the series comes from how samey the 4 games look at first glance, not helped because NSMB2 and NSMBU were released 4 months apart from each other

Last edited:

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
It probably wouldn't seem as generic if it was the only NSMB game. But it still would probably be pretty bland to play. The levels, visuals and music aren't very exciting.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It is one of the best Mario games. I'm confident it will be recognised as such in time, together with 3D World. The Wii-U was a pretty great console for the more old-school oriented Mario fans.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to why so many NSMB threads are popping up. Did I miss news somewhere?

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
It probably wouldn't seem as generic if it was the only NSMB game. But it still would probably be pretty bland to play. The levels, visuals and music aren't very exciting.

Yeah, NSMBU would probably be recognized as just being only okay, which is what it actually is. The idea that it's a "secret gem" or whatever is such a lazy take. It doesn't compare at all to any of the better Mario games or to other top-class 2D platformers like Tropical Freeze or Shovel Knight.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Yeah, NSMBU would probably be recognized as just being only okay, which is what it actually is. The idea that it's a "secret gem" or whatever is such a lazy take. It doesn't compare at all to any of the better Mario games or to other top-class 2D platformers like Tropical Freeze or Shovel Knight.

TF really is in a different league than NSMBU.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
It's the best NSMB game and I'm pretty sure most people recognize it's a legitimately great 2D Mario in general.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
It would be following Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island, and I don't think that an absence of fatigue would be enough to put New Super Mario Bros. U in the same category as those classics.

Also, the game isn't nearly as impressive as Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze or as inventive as Mario Maker (which came after it), so I don't think that New Super Mario Bros. U compares that favourably to its contemporaries, which would remain true even if the game didn't have its predecessors.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It is the best 2D Mario by far.

While people have a point about the soundtrack being lazy, it's extremely disheartening seeing people make the same arguments about the artstyle over and over, especially when SMW is so highly regarded. NSMBU's team put more effort into the visual than any 2D Mario before and the game looks really good. Each NSMBU game has a fairly distinct visual style when compared side-by-side and honestly the only one I'd say looks ugly is NSMBWii since it looks really shiny and plasticky.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
uh...isn't it already one of the best mario games? i'd rank it up there with smb3 and smw easily. the nsmb games are actually legit good with the exception of nsmb:ds and nsmb2.

that being said, nsmbu has a massively disappointing final boss battle. extra disapponting after nsmbw's.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

While people have a point about the soundtrack being lazy, it's extremely disheartening seeing people make the same arguments about the artstyle over and over, especially when SMW is so highly regarded. NSMBU's team put more effort into the visual than any 2D Mario before and the game looks really good. Each NSMBU game has a fairly distinct visual style when compared side-by-side and honestly the only one I'd say looks ugly is NSMBWii since it looks really shiny and plasticky.

mmm, I think SMB3 and Yoshi's Island are both better than NSMBU. If you don't count YI as a mario game then it's second

best to worst:

SMB3
Yoshi's Island
NSMBU
SMW
SMB2 (USA)
SMB1
NSMB2
NSMBWii
SMB2 (JP)
NSMB

Last edited:

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I think time will be generous with the game, it's great and kids who played it will have fond memories of it. I'm more of a NSMB Wii type, anyway I love the whole series despite the artstyle.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Probably?
I'd say people actually just were burnt out by these games when NSMBU and that's pretty understandable; NSMB2 and NSMBU had just four months in between their release dates.
As much as it concerns me, they're all pretty good and they went improving over time: NSMB2 is way better than NSMB and tried something different, NSMBU had a better level design than NSMBWii so I felt like they were all good in the end.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
mmm, I think SMB3 and Yoshi's Island are both better than NSMBU. If you don't count YI as a mario game then it's second
Yoshi's Island shouldn't count. It's a great game but different to the point that it became a spinoff. I know people want innovation, but 2D Mario sequels shouldn't change things to that degree.

As for SMB3, it's my favorite of the classic games, but it's just too janky and has a lot more of what would be considered bad level design; like the multiple pick-a-door forts.

NSMBU
NSMBWii
SMB3
SMW
NSMB2
NSMB
SMB2
SMB

It would be following Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island, and I don't think that an absence of fatigue would be enough to put New Super Mario Bros. U in the same category as those classics.

Also, the game isn't nearly as impressive as Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze or as inventive as Mario Maker (which came after it), so I don't think that New Super Mario Bros. U compares that favourably to its contemporaries, which would remain true even if the game didn't have its predecessors.
Tropical Freeze is a very different game. While I appreciate the detail they put into the world, the platforming feels a bit more tedious in its technicality and it gets far more repetitive in mechanics. I'd rather play a Mario game.

Mario Maker is great, but it has only a small fraction of the things that NSMBU has. While you can combine things and make neat contraptions, making something that would be at home in an actual Mario game as good as what NSMBU has is really difficult and rare. Beyond mechanics and features, NSMBU levels are designed with real dev tools and can have camera and spawn control. And that's discounting all the great inventive ideas NSMBU had. ~100 levels with a novel concept in each is a tall order.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Not with those visuals and soundtrack, the whole product just comes off feeling cheap with so little attention paid to the presentation. Shantae: Half Genie Hero is a great example that 3D on a 2D plane can look fantastic so they didn't even need to go full hand drawn 2D like Rayman Legends, the less said about the bahs and wahs the better - they don't invoke memories of classic Mario, they just sound crap.

Oct 29, 2017
No, because NSMB Wii is the real best game in the series. NSMBU is a poor imitation of NSMB Wii.

NSMB Wii's levels were designed directly by Miyamoto and Tezuka and it shows. NSMBU is a muddle by comparison and doesn't compare at all. Even NSMB2's level design is far better, and that was done by literal rookies! At least NSMB2 had a clear vision!

monali

Mar 8, 2020

I love the look of NSMB Wii. :(

In topic, I love the Wii iteration more, and I think it's the best 2D Mario game, but the NSMBU is solid too, and I have never been one of this series complainers to begin with even when it come to its visual and OST.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I love the look of NSMB Wii. :(

In topic, I love the Wii iteration more, and I think it's the best 2D Mario game, but the NSMBU is solid too, and I have never been one of this series complainers to begin with even when it come to its visual and OST.
I think the soundtrack is fine but it wouldn't kill them to make a whole new soundtrack for every game or really kick up the instrumentation.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco

This is my take. It would have still been following up Donkey Kong Country Returns, which showed how a Nintendo platforming series could meaningfully evolve given new hardware. 2D Mario used to push boundaries, and while the 3D games continue to, the NSMB games in general hardly do (irrespective of what one may think of the quality of the games themselves.) And I don't think there's a timeline in which NSMBU, as is, would have felt inspired as a launch title for Nintendo's first HD console.

Last edited:

monali

Mar 8, 2020
I think the soundtrack is fine but it wouldn't kill them to make a whole new soundtrack for every game or really kick up the instrumentation.
That's true, it sure became too much after 4 games, but I meant the OST itself I loved it, tho I know I'm in the minority.
This is my take. It would have still been following up Donkey Kong Country Returns, which showed how a Nintendo platforming series could meaningfully evolve given new hardware. 2D Mario used to push boundaries, and while the 3D games still do, the NSMB ingeneral hardly goes (irrespective of what one may think of the quality of the games themselves.) And I don't think there's a timeline in which NSMBU, as is, would have felt inspired as a launch title for Nintendo's first HD console.
Perfectly implementing 4 player cp-op is what I would call pushing boundaries, and it arguably even inspired the revival of Rayman, and inspired EAD Tokyo to make 3d world a 4 player co-op game, I mean NSMB did have a lot of impact on gaming IMO.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
This is my take. It would have still been following up Donkey Kong Country Returns, which showed how a Nintendo platforming series could meaningfully evolve given new hardware. 2D Mario used to push boundaries, and while the 3D games still do, the NSMB ingeneral hardly goes (irrespective of what one may think of the quality of the games themselves.) And I don't think there's a timeline in which NSMBU, as is, would have felt inspired as a launch title for Nintendo's first HD console.

Yeah, DKCR and DKTF are some of my favorite games. NSMB Wii/NSMBU really fall short compared to them imo.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
If you took out two better New SMB games, would the third best NSMB game be recognized as better than it is now? Yes.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good game but for Mario standards it is still not anywhere close to Mario Bros 1,2 3 or Super Mario World. I think the new entries all lack a certain identity. They all pretty much play the same. The DS one was outright boring and I thought the Wii wntry was the best.of the bunch. I like 3D Land and 3D world more even though they are technically 3D they kind of feels like a 2D game due to the design. I hope they shake things up for the next entry. Its time Nintendo brings back the magic for 2D Mario.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Perfectly implementing 4 player cp-op is what I would call pushing boundaries, and it arguably even inspired the revival of Rayman, and inspired EAD Tokyo to make 3d world a 4 player co-op, I mean NSMB did have a lot of impact on gaming IMO.

For a certain demographic, I suppose. I never really planned on playing 2D Mario for the multiplayer experience, making it appeal to only a subset of players. And while 4 player simultaneous co-op is a neat novelty, it's still tethered to everything else that many have raised issues with.

And by that point, Kirby's Return to Dreamland would have already introduced many to 4 player co-op the year before, lessening the impact. Of course, it's possibly it was itself inspired by NSMBW and thus wouldn't exist in this example... (theoretical situations are tricky!)

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Probably, because part of it getting shat upon was definitely the fatigue. It being so close to NSMB2 in particular got brought up a lot.

That said, personally, even if it doesn't stand out as much in terms of presentation, it's still hands down, far and away the best 2D Mario game in my opinion. (To be fair though, don't count Yoshi's Island as a "2D Mario game.")

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
It takes elements from previous mario games but does them worse. It is simply generic in every way.

Oct 29, 2017
For a certain demographic, I suppose. I never really planned on playing 2D Mario for the multiplayer experience, making it appeal to only a subset of players. And while 4 player simultaneous co-op is a neat novelty, it's still tethered to everything else that many have raised issues with.

And by that point, Kirby's Return to Dreamland would have already introduced many to 4 player co-op the year before, lessening the impact. Of course, it's possibly it was itself inspired by NSMBW and thus wouldn't exist in this example... (theoretical situations are tricky!)

maxresdefault.jpg

Funnily enough, NSMB Wii was itself heavily inspired by Kirby Superstar; so really, it just ended up coming full circle here.

Return To Dreamland is still the best game in the Kirby series BTW; with Robobot close behind!

Last edited: