• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Super Mario Bros. As soon as you hit the controller's buttons it becomes immediately obvious what to do. The run button is the only one that's not as clear but it's not necessary to beat the first few levels and get a handle on how the game operates.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
960x0.jpg

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you're going to pick Pac-Man, pick Pac-Man: Championship Edition instead. Just as easy to understand, but a much deeper and more enjoyable game.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think Tetris is the right answer. BotW would only convince them that we are a dull species obsessed with aimless wandering.

Nier Automata for ALL the reasons.

"Is the Human species ready to receive our vast knowledge of the universe?"
"Well, they have developed the capacity to posit interesting ideas, but I fear they are still too horny..."

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Wasn't there a movie about this with Peter Dinklage and Adam Sandler? And the aliens ended up invading the earth with Pac-Man and Videogame looking technology?

Just to prevent that scenario, it'd have to be something completely non-violent, so they wouldn't be afraid of us and vice versa. Probably something calm and "puzzly" like Myst, Witness, or yeah Tetris.
Katamari would freak them the fuck out with rolling up cities and shit so lol at those answers.

How are these aliens playing these games? We sending a console and tv to them? Or proving that we're a master race with a PC?

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
New Super Mario Bros. U, because it is the best iteration of the classic Mario formula. It should be easy enough to understand even from a very different cultural background.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Something simple, no complex controls or dialog, and not focused at all on combat or fear. But still about the human condition of a journey vs adversity, loneliness, while going through both depressing moments as well as exhilarating ones, always seeking to go further towards what is on the horizon to push the boundaries of knowledge and the comprehension of what lies beyond. And maybe connecting to others in the process.

Journey, is the obvious answer for me.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
aliens are not going to understand how to play tetris. the answer is just dance 2017.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Tetris, it's a perfect game, if aliens have gravity, and store things, they'll understand it immediately.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
All Humans must die ?

But yeah Tetris seems perfect if they don´t get offended if some holy symbol gets erased in their view

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head I'd have to say Minecraft.

It's got a bit of everything; loot, crafting, role playing, creativity, combat, multiplayer, teamwork, farm simulating, exploration.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what if the aliens already have ps9s and they make fun of us for our primitive block games

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't bother because games are too varied to encapsulate their essence into one title. There are massive multiplayer games that attempt to offer all these game types in their one entry but rarely do these side projects come even close to being as good as the games they are trying to emulate.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm presenting Outer Wilds to aliens, to show our interest in space exploration, discovery, wonder, mystery, and humanity. Easily one of the best, creative, and innovative science fiction videogames ever.

Jan 11, 2019
Very simple, I'd show them Shape of the World

And see what happens. Because nothing represents this world less accurately.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
So I think everyone hit the nail on the head with Tetris, it's the perfect "gamey" game where gameplay is all that matters and is engaging.

The only other suggestions I had was Snake (specifically when its just blocks like on the old nokias) and, to show off some more traditional competitive games. Street Fighter 2

I did consider some other games but thought they'd be too violent or promote the idea we like killing for fun too much

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I'd like to see what warped version of Earth history they extrapolate from a gold disc containing the entire Civilization franchise.